Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 11:17   #1156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
asdon, Wow! you drove on the tilari ghat route. Thats Sahir.kittur's favourite route. Do you have any photos of the condition of the ghats. I knwo it's the shortest route from belgaum to mapusa, used mostly by the vegetable trucks. My house painter uses it to go to Kolhapur on his scooter every few months. How was the road conditions and wasn't the ghat roads only mud?
The ghat road is complete and in great shape, but this was one of the tough road I have ever drove, this was more difficult due to my car(full passanger load and full boot), I did not have a chance to stop and take snaps because it was raining heavily and I was little scared in some of the hair-pins. There is a resort just before you enter for Mapusa city, on NH17, I asked for the route the the guard was very helpfull and he tol me exact mark where I need to take turns, but he did mention -"shayed aap ka gadi ghat section par kar lega, yeh route pe koi gadi down pe nehi ata hai, kiu ki bahoot down hai, par aap shayed nikal loge", and that was scary for me. All the small rivers before Tilari ghat were over-flowing. Here are some snaps I took before the ghat started -
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tilari5.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tilari4.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tilari3.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tilari2.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tilari1.jpg  

Old 18th July 2010, 11:38   #1157
Senior - BHPian

I suppose you had to drive uphill on the ghat to belgaum. It's supposed to be only 8 kms long but very steep compared to the amboli ghat. As told to me by my house painter. Never thought of venturing on it after seeing the photos of the mud portion. Thought a 4wd would be apt here.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:39   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
asdon,

Okay after reading your post once more I've understood the statement you made. Perhaps you should have done a search on this route before venturing.
Yes, I drove towards Belgaum, But now I will venture in this road again, but with only 2 passengers not 5. The road and scene is beautiful and who has gone in this road they will know

Now some update on NH4:-

Belgaum to Dharwad - complete 4 lane
Dharwad to Hubli - complete 2 lane(no sign of getting this road to 4 lane in near future)
Hubli to Haveri - complete 4 lane
Haveri to Devanagere - 80% 4 lane
Devanagere to Chitradurga - 90% 4 lane
Chitradurga to Bangalore - complete 4 lane

Last edited by asdon : 18th July 2010 at 11:56.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:56   #1159
Senior - BHPian

You are right about that. Thanks for sharing your experience. Going down slope from belgaum to mapusa might be a bit easy compared to climbing. what time did you climb the gat and how was the traffic at that hour.

regards
Old 18th July 2010, 12:00   #1160
BHPian

I started from Candolim at 11am, so hopefully reached near Tilari Ghat about 12-12:30pm, and about traffic, one Tata 407, one Indica Vista, one Hero honda splender and my car, all going up, thats it.
Old 18th July 2010, 12:12   #1161
Senior - BHPian

One last question what time did you reach belgaum or NH4 and what was the approx distance you covered by then?. thanks

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 18th July 2010 at 12:14.
Old 18th July 2010, 12:18   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
One last question what time did you reach belgaum or NH4 and what was the approx distance you covered by then?. thanks
I reached Belgaum at 2pm, then took a lunch break of 1 hr, started from NH4 at 3, next break was at Kamat just before Tumkur at 8pm, reached Bangalore at 10:15pm.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:17   #1163

Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum, so I apologise in advance for any breach of protocols etc.

We are driving down to Goa (Varca) ex BLR on the 12th August, a trip we have done a few times before, and I'd be grateful for your advise on the following;

- In 2003, I drove Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur which was a spectacular drive. Great road, and super forest drive on the Yellapur-Mundgod section.

- In 2006 however, a bridge in the forest was missing and the tribals were extorting INR 50 to let you drive across logs they had placed. Did not drive on that road again.

- Can anyone advise me of the current condition of the Bankapur-Yellapur road ? It cuts off considerable time to avoid having to go via Hubli down to Ankola.

- Also, the current rains notwithstanding, any suggestions of the Dharwad-Hariyal-Dandeli-Karwar road ? Some of the postings albeit dated were of poor conditions.

- Lastly, setting out at 0430 to beat morning Dangalore, what is the suggestion for the quickest transit to Goa ? Via Ankola or the route via Dharwad etc (Kittur/Ramnagar/etc)

Salut and many thanks.

(PS: Asdon, many thanks for the highway condition update)
Old 27th July 2010, 13:09   #1164
Team-BHP Support

Why is NH206 not an option? Are there heavy rains?
While some guys have done Hubli-Mundgod-Malgi-Jog. Not sure of Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur section.

Last edited by ampere : 27th July 2010 at 13:10.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:10   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Bankapur-Mundgod-yellapur saves 50km and is best option from nh4 to reach nh17. It is less explored and less travelled stretch. There are few km bad stretches but it is worth it I feel.

There is heavy rain so If same continue next 2 weeks JOG will be in full glory. I am sure by aug. end JOG will be in full glory. If someone wants enjoy water falls around Sirsi it is best time except leeches

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 29th July 2010, 16:57   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If someone wants enjoy water falls around Sirsi it is best time except leeches
Why can't leeches enjoy waterfalls? You are being discriminatory here
Hey Ravi, how about a group drive to jog and it's surroundings during end of Aug? You game?
Old 29th July 2010, 19:14   #1167
Senior - BHPian

That would be real fun, even I am trying to convince my family to visit that area for native place visit during 1st week of september. I am more interested in Bangalore-Belgaum-Gokak falls-Amboli - goa - Honnavar - JOG - shimoga - Bangalore(1400km trip). Last week was right time and there are good days in August and September too where Gokaak falls and nearby Godachi makki will be in full swing.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 29th July 2010, 19:21   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Why can't leeches enjoy waterfalls? You are being discriminatory here
Hey Ravi, how about a group drive to jog and it's surroundings during end of Aug? You game?
Sounds temting, if you are planning to do so, please do it after 30th Aug, I am out of Blr from 10th to 30th and don't want to miss such a drive
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:39   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Now some update on NH4:-

Belgaum to Dharwad - complete 4 lane
Dharwad to Hubli - complete 2 lane(no sign of getting this road to 4 lane in near future)
Hubli to Haveri - complete 4 lane
Haveri to Devanagere - 80% 4 lane
Devanagere to Chitradurga - 90% 4 lane
Chitradurga to Bangalore - complete 4 lane
Planning for a Varca beach holiday soon and planning to leave BLR at around 1600.
  1. If I take the NH4 route, where should I plan to stay over for the night after say 5 hours of driving? Have 2 kids so want to avoid overnight drive.
  2. Has the Yeshwanthpur - Nelamangala elevated tollway been opened unofficially or what is the inauguration date? I stay near Mekhri Circle so it would be a superb thing for me!
  3. Which route to use to get into Goa proper and how long will it take?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:13   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Planning for a Varca beach holiday soon and planning to leave BLR at around 1600.
  1. If I take the NH4 route, where should I plan to stay over for the night after say 5 hours of driving? Have 2 kids so want to avoid overnight drive.
  2. Has the Yeshwanthpur - Nelamangala elevated tollway been opened unofficially or what is the inauguration date? I stay near Mekhri Circle so it would be a superb thing for me!
  3. Which route to use to get into Goa proper and how long will it take?
Thanks in advance!!
Not sure where will you reach in 5hrs, but if you can manage to reach atleast Hubli, you will find some good hotels.
I used Belgaum to Mapusa via Tilari Ghat, which is very steep, but as you will go down should not be an issue, but the approach road to Tilari Ghat in some portions are not in good shape, there is one more route, I will let you know. Else you can take Hubli to Karwar route and then Goa, but the route is very tricky as most of the time you will not be able to overtake and the road goes like a snake way, so will get tired soon. BTW which vehicle you have and how many passangers will be there?

No idea about the flyover though.

I will update you on the route from Belgaum to Goa, soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks