Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 18:47   #1246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandarkar View Post
Hello Friends,
I am travelling to Goa on 10th OCT. Taking the route via Chorla Ghats as i have booked my stay at Wildernest Resort. When looking at the possible routes on Google Maps, encountered this route. NH4 from Bangalore - Left before MK Hubli ( SH 31) - Devalatti - Khanapur - Olamani - Kankumbi - Chorla. Nobody here has mentioned this route. Has anyone done this route before or is it a Ghost road? Travelling on my Santro.
I had got a response to one of my questions on this thread last year (Sept) which was pertaining to Belgaum-Khanapur-Chorla-Goa route. It was mentioned that the road was almost non-existent beyond Khanapur.
I have travelled by bus, car on Belgaum-Chorla-Goa route few years back, hence the road does exist but right not sure what the status is.
Old 8th October 2010, 22:06   #1247
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandarkar View Post
Hello Friends,
I am travelling to Goa on 10th OCT. Taking the route via Chorla Ghats as i have booked my stay at Wildernest Resort. When looking at the possible routes on Google Maps, encountered this route. NH4 from Bangalore - Left before MK Hubli ( SH 31) - Devalatti - Khanapur - Olamani - Kankumbi - Chorla. Nobody here has mentioned this route. Has anyone done this route before or is it a Ghost road? Travelling on my Santro.
I would avoid the Hubli Khanapur short cut - pathetic road condition is what I heard. I saw sign boards for wildernest resort on the way from Belgaum to Ponda - u may want to call the resort and ask them for best route option from Hubli.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:36   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Bangalor- Shimoga - Honnavar route has many bad stretches and potholes, there are bad stretches beyond Davangere and before haveri. So any route has frustration. With high political drama on always there is no hope for better utilization of package coming from government to public.

Next year road condition appears to be very bad one.

Ravi.
Old 15th October 2010, 19:21   #1249
BHPian

Status of yelapur route as on 15th October

I am just back (2 hours back) from Goa.

Did the onward journey on 10th leaving at 4:30 in the morning and reaching around 2:30 in the afternoon without any breaks save for a short 15 minute coffee break. Left Goa at 4:30 this morning at reached home at 4:15 with breaks of 1 hour and getting stuck in yeshwantpur for atleast an hour.

Log of the onwards journey (sorry dont know how to format into a table easily. It is time - km reading)

Time Kms 4:30 0 5:30 64 6:30 140 7:30 225 8:30 300 9:30 363 10:05 404 10:25 404 10:35 418 11:30 477 12:30 541 13:30 605 14:30 645 14:50 668

Return journey timings would be somewhat similar.

JLN's posting of a few weeks back is very thorough and accurate.

Some other tips:

There is a Kamats near Ankola which is okay for snacks. If you are going from bangalore, turn left at the NH63/NH17 junction. (RIght is to Kaward). Kamats is about 2 kms from this junction on the right attached to a petrol pump.

Lotus at karwar is neat clean and somewhat expensive.

There is a resort called genesis just after Davangare (travelling from Bangalore) on the right. Passable with just usable restrooms

Keep watching for diversions on the davangere / hubli stretch. Keep watching for traffic driving on the wrong side of the road

Take NICE road during daytime if an option. Yeshwantpur is a horror. If you are leaving early morning from Bangalore it is not a problem.

take a print out of JLN's post as I did or you can use my chart. this will give you an idea of approximate time of reaching

Deepak
Old 15th October 2010, 20:06   #1250
Team-BHP Support

Is it worth bypassing Hubli via Mundgod from Bankapur?
Saves around 50Km in the bargain. But how are the roads?
Old 15th October 2010, 20:14   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is it worth bypassing Hubli via Mundgod from Bankapur?
Sounds reasonable as far as google maps go

I did not see any signs and dont remember any large roads from yelapur. For sure I would not try the route unless I am on a two wheeler OR i get a status report from someone who has tried the route earlier

Has anyone on the forum tried the route ?

Deepak
Old 15th October 2010, 20:17   #1252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ampere : Is it worth bypassing Hubli via Mundgod from Bankapur?
NO.

I had checked with local people on this before my trip, and was advised not to. The roads are not good, and includes one problematic bridge. Pls proceed upto Hubli, and continue further.
Old 16th October 2010, 00:30   #1253
BHPian

B'lore-Hubli-Goa update

Hi all, I have been lurking around and taking info as and when required. Thought it's time I gave back a bit too - here's an update on some of the routes I travelled on this week - got back this afternoon (15th Oct).

Before I start, big thank you to JLN for his well-summarised recent update - that was a big help, JLN!

Brief details:

Vehicle - 2006 CRDE Scorpio
Travelling with - wife & 2 kids (7yrs & 2 yrs)
Destination - Holiday Inn, Mobor beach (close to Colva, very much South Goa)
Preferences - needed a break in journey, both ways, since we were travelling with a 2 yr old; should have a decent accommodation
Journey Date: 10th Oct to 15th Oct, both days inclusive

Based on a bus journey last year via Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar, my preference was for the same but recent research here made me choose otherwise. I was keen on driving in from Karwar, as our resort was closer to Margao, so firmed up following route, both ways:

BLR - Hubli (stop-over) - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Mobor

Day 1 (10th Oct: B’lore – Hubli): Left B'lore at 12.35pm after an early lunch, in order to avoid any stops en route. Since we stay at HSR Layout, took the NICE road all the way - from Hosur road to Tumkur Road. Even at an easy-paced drive with speeds not exceeding 110km, we found ourselves wading into Hubli town at 6.30pm – a total of 460km in 6 hours.

Quick notes (applies for Day 6 too):

1. For all of you staying this side of B'lore, I suggest you opt for the NICE road - worth the 103/- toll you pay. We covered the 64km to the Nelamangala toll in 60 minutes (today I was in a bit more of a hurry and covered it in 42 minutes!)
2. The truck traffic on NH4 is disciplined, 90% of them staying on the left lane and moving to right lane only to overtake a slower truck. Keep your eye on them as you approach them, and you will be fine.
3. Need to keep a lookout for traffic coming in the wrong direction, especially so in the town areas – Tumkur, C’durga, Davangere, etc.
4. Davangere –Haveri stretch has still some work to be completed and hence the road becomes 2-lane in few stretches (2 of those stretches have railway crossings too). Watch out for the sudden diversions.
5. Bigger irritants are the unmarked ‘cuts’, where a fresh layer of tarmac ends and a new one starts. This mostly happens around newly-laid small bridges/culverts, so if you are approaching one of these, do slow down else your wheel rims take a good blow!
6. Surprisingly, most cleaner-looking eating places are closer to B’lore! It’s very difficult to find a clean restroom otherwise – even the Kamat’s at Ranebennur A1 had very dirty toilets.

Day 2 (11th Oct: Hubli – Mobor – 243km): What should have been a peaceful ride was thrown off-gear thanks to my unwarranted enthusiasm! As we were checking out of the Hans Hotel, Hubli, I asked the receptionist on his views of the route I should take. He painted a completely grim picture of the NH63 (heavy traffic, longer by 72km, etc) and highly recommended the following route:

Hubli – Dharwad – Hariyal – Dandeli – Ganeshgudi – Ramnagar – Mollem – Ponda – Margao – Mobor

Obviously, this guy intended to guide me to Ponda and this wasn’t too bad a road – mostly state highway through not-so-dense forest. Most part of the drive doesn’t allow for too much speed either – I think the best was the Mollem – Ponda stretch. We left at 9.30 after breakfast and refuelling and reached our resort at 2.30pm – 5 hours to the dot to cover a total of 243km.

Quick notes:
1. If you have taken pains to research your route using sources such as Team BHP, Google Maps, etc, stick with it and don’t go asking for opinions in the midst of the journey – can cause unnecessary stress! ;-)
2. The road surface was fine except for certain pockets around Ganeshgudi & Dandeli town. However, right from exiting Dharwad, you find the route has too many curves and by the time you are through with the more demanding Anmod Ghat section, you are screaming for a view of the beach!
3. Most of the route is 2-lane in the strictest sense – just enough space for 2 vehicles to pass.
4. Unmarked speed bumps are a norm here, especially the village areas. I was lucky enough to follow a Swift for most part of the way, who seemed to judge these things quite well.
5. Forget eating anything on the way, unless you have stocked your vehicle with food & liquid. Restrooms? When you are so close to nature? Forget it! Fuel stations are available at most of the towns I mentioned, but suggest you tank up at Hubli-Dharwad.
6. The Hubli-Dharwad area is very particular about speed limits (numerous boards shout out 50kmph) and they have interceptors too – I got flagged at when I was doing 70kmph (I couldn’t stop due to various circumstances and I hope I don’t get something in the post!).
7. Took the Ponda bypass (yes there is one) so that I can get to Margao road faster. The surface looked as though it had been put through a shredder; if not for the Scorpio, I would have had a hard time.

Overall, this is a route one should take only if travelling to Ponda or thereabouts and you don’t want to go all the way to Belgaum and come down (Hubli-Ponda via this route is approximately 200km). I understand there is a shorter route between Dharwad & Ramnagar, but I have no idea why this friendly receptionist didn’t suggest that one.

Day 5 (14th Oct: Mobor – Hubli 257km): This time, I decided I will go with my earlier plan of using the NH17-NH63 route:

Mobor – Chinchinim –(Get on NH17) – Karwar –(Take a left 6 km before Ankola – NH 63) – Yellapur – Hubli)

We left the resort at 12.30pm, stopped at Karwar for lunch (2pm – 3pm) and drove into Hubli at 5.30pm – a total driving time of 4 hours to cover 257km.

Quick notes:
I highly recommend this route for those of you going toward/coming from South Goa, especially Colva – Varca – Cavelossim – Mobor, and of course, Margao too. We encountered little traffic, though one can get stuck behind one of those trucks in the mini-ghat areas on the Goan side of NH 17. NH63 was so much better than we expected – wide road, very little traffic consisting mostly of slow moving trucks, very small ghat section and long stretches of clear straight road with forests or paddy on either side. While there are little patchy areas closer to Yellapur – caused by the surface giving way to monsoon – these aren’t bad enough to cause you stress.

Our lunch stop was at Lotus Resort, Karwar (right side, before the Karwar bridge); good food, though slightly on the expensive side. We didn’t find anything much on NH63 worth making a note of. There are sufficient fuel stations en route, though if you are particular about BP (I have a BP Petrocard), you won’t find one easily.

To summarise, we did a total of 703km with a drive time of 11 hours while going, and clocked 720km with a drive time of 10.5 hours on our return. FYI, except on our last stretch of Davangare-B’lore, I maintained my speeds within a 110kmph band.
Old 16th October 2010, 07:49   #1254
Team-BHP Support

@Jammy, That is exactly what I think of doing one way. Thought of checking out Jog on the return. If not take the same road back.

Thanks for those details.
Old 16th October 2010, 09:31   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ampere, a visit to Jog was high on my list before my trip. But the condition of the roads meant I had to put off Jog for another day.
Old 16th October 2010, 14:37   #1256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Ampere, a visit to Jog was high on my list before my trip. But the condition of the roads meant I had to put off Jog for another day.
Thanks for that update. Will keep Jog for some other day then.
Has anyone been to Magod falls?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magod_Falls
Old 16th October 2010, 18:53   #1257
Distinguished - BHPian

May not be the best time to visit Magod falls :( . But give it a shot, since it is on the way. When going towards Karwar, it's a left turn a little after Yellapur.

Btw, any time you see a settlement / houses on the Hubi-Karwar section, pls watch out for un marked speed breakers. Best to cut speed in those sections.
Like Deepak mentioned, at the end of NH63, you will come to a T intersection. Left goes towards Ankola / Gokarn / Mangalore / Jog. Right goes towards Karwar / Goa. You will need to take right. But if you want food, then take left & go 2 km towards Ankola.
Old 16th October 2010, 22:22   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Btw, any time you see a settlement / houses on the Hubi-Karwar section, pls watch out for un marked speed breakers. Best to cut speed in those sections.
Keep in mind that speed breakers mostly come in pairs and you need to be vigilant for the second one after crossing the first
Old 17th October 2010, 18:24   #1259
JLN
BHPian

I am glad that my report has proved useful for a number of you. Like most, I have been a user of the wealth of info on TBHP for over 5 years now and started contributing just over a year ago. I would strongly urge all of you to post your experiences - don't worry too much about whether your report will be useful or not - IT WILL BE VERY USEFUL.
Old 17th October 2010, 20:40   #1260
BHPian

How about SH34?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
I am glad that my report has proved useful for a number of you. Like most, I have been a user of the wealth of info on TBHP for over 5 years now and started contributing just over a year ago. I would strongly urge all of you to post your experiences - don't worry too much about whether your report will be useful or not - IT WILL BE VERY USEFUL.
Excellent report JLN. Very useful and detailed.

I am planning to do the same trip mod next week. One question:

From the Hubli - Dharwad Bypass, most online direction provider sites suggests to take the State Highway 34 to reach Molem. Any reasons why this option is not mentioned in any of the suggestions here?

Please refer the link [Dharwad to Mapusa]:

Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks