Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2011, 09:12   #1471
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Has anyone visited Jog very recently? how is the water in Saravati River? Planning a trip on 13th Aug.
Old 7th August 2011, 22:47   #1472
BHPian

Hi, I will also be doing the same route. While coming back I thought it was honavar-sagara-shimoga. Where does jogg fall come in this route? Is it required/advisable to go via Sirsi? Are the roads good? We will be starting from South Goa by 7:00 and would want to reach Bangalore by 8:00pm.

Thank You

VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I second that, Take Blre-Belgaum-Sawantawadi-Goa. while coming come via Panaji-Karwar-Ankola-Mirjan-Devimane ghat-Sirsi. From here either take via siddapura-jog-shimoga-blre or come via haveri-chitradurga-blre which is faster route.

If you decide to come via long route ankola-yellapur-hubli-blre plan to visit magod falls 25km from nh63, 3 km before yellapur you need to turn right.

You will enjoy the scenary and can cover few places if you drive during day.

Ravi.
Old 8th August 2011, 10:55   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Has anyone visited Jog very recently? how is the water in Saravati River? Planning a trip on 13th Aug.
There has been heavy to very heavy rains in the Sharavathi Valley for the past few days. I had been there yesterday (not to the falls though) and I heard that the water flow is good. Linganmakki dam is just about 4-5 feet from filling up. If the rains continue the same way, you can expect a huge water flow from the falls. Anyways, they let water out on Aug 15, so if you go there on 15th, it will be a sight to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, I will also be doing the same route. While coming back I thought it was honavar-sagara-shimoga. Where does jogg fall come in this route? Is it required/advisable to go via Sirsi? Are the roads good? We will be starting from South Goa by 7:00 and would want to reach Bangalore by 8:00pm.

Thank You

VW
The route via Sirsi joins the NH206 (Honnavar-Sagar-Bangalore road) at Talaguppa which is around 15 kms from Jog Falls. You will need to take a deviation of about 2kms from the NH206 to reach the view point for the falls.

While coming from Sirsi, you need to turn right (towards Honnavar) at Talaguppa and travel for 15 kms to the point where you deviate from the main road. Left turn at Talaguppa will take you to Sagar.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 11:07   #1474
BHPian

Thank You Addy, in your relpy below I got a little confused. If jog is just 2 kms off NH206 why should one go to Sirsi unless it offers better road, views or saves time? If the sirsi route is better, where should I take diversion from NH-17 while coming from Goa?

"The route via Sirsi joins the NH206 (Honnavar-Sagar-Bangalore road) at Talaguppa which is around 15 kms from Jog Falls. You will need to take a deviation of about 2kms from the NH206 to reach the view point for the falls.
While coming from Sirsi, you need to turn right (towards Honnavar) at Talaguppa and travel for 15 kms to the point where you deviate from the main road. Left turn at Talaguppa will take you to Sagar"

Thank You

VW

Last edited by VindyWheels : 8th August 2011 at 11:11.
Old 8th August 2011, 11:43   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen taking NH206, try to avoid NH17 as much as possible. The entire stretch from Honnavar to Ankola is heavily damaged, its marginally better from Gokarna to Ankola, barring that rest of the stretch is a horror ride. No wonder Samurai calls it the National Horror 17 !! If you still want to do this suicide mission, budget 2 hours for this stretch and make sure you have pain killers and BP tablets handy.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 12:07   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Thank You Addy, in your relpy below I got a little confused. If jog is just 2 kms off NH206 why should one go to Sirsi unless it offers better road, views or saves time? If the sirsi route is better, where should I take diversion from NH-17 while coming from Goa?

"The route via Sirsi joins the NH206 (Honnavar-Sagar-Bangalore road) at Talaguppa which is around 15 kms from Jog Falls. You will need to take a deviation of about 2kms from the NH206 to reach the view point for the falls.
While coming from Sirsi, you need to turn right (towards Honnavar) at Talaguppa and travel for 15 kms to the point where you deviate from the main road. Left turn at Talaguppa will take you to Sagar"

Thank You

VW
Hi VW, sorry if my post sounded confusing. I did not try to tell that taking either the Sirsi route or the Honnavar route is good or bad. I was just responding to your question on where Jog falls is located in those routes.

Kumta-Sirsi Road to SH 50 - Google Maps

Check the abve link for the route from Sirsi-Jogfalls. Point B is Talaguppa.

I really don't know which route is better at this time. I have traveled on both the routes at different times and I have absolutely loved both. However, the Sirsi route seems to be marginally longer than the Honnavar route. I guess Ravibhat would be a better person to comment on the conditions as he is a local from that area.

While coming from Goa, you will need to take a left turn at Mirjan (on NH-17) to reach Sirsi. There are signboards indicating direction.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 8th August 2011 at 12:09.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 16:56   #1477
BHPian

What will be the best route to Panaji from Bangalore, if I want to bypass Karwar?
Old 8th August 2011, 17:46   #1478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What will be the best route to Panaji from Bangalore, if I want to bypass Karwar?
Are you looking at NH17 bypass? Then I think there is not much.

Other route is via Dharwad-Haliyal-Dandeli-Ganeshgudi-Ramnagar-Anmod-Ponda.

But this is going thick western ghats. With rains lashing, route would be really bad.
Old 8th August 2011, 19:45   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are you looking at NH17 bypass? Then I think there is not much.

Other route is via Dharwad-Haliyal-Dandeli-Ganeshgudi-Ramnagar-Anmod-Ponda.

But this is going thick western ghats. With rains lashing, route would be really bad.
Actually I don't want to go via Karwar-Madgaon section,Last time when I came back from Goa I took Tilari ghat route and then Belgaum-Bangalore. I might take that road while going too as its too short but Belgaum to Tilari Ghat road was in very bad shape, so not sure what is the current condition.

Last edited by asdon : 8th August 2011 at 19:46.
Old 8th August 2011, 21:41   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I don't want to go via Karwar-Madgaon section,Last time when I came back from Goa I took Tilari ghat route and then Belgaum-Bangalore. I might take that road while going too as its too short but Belgaum to Tilari Ghat road was in very bad shape, so not sure what is the current condition.
Why not do Bangalore - Belgaum - Amboli - Savantvadi - Goa route. There were some land slides recently but has been cleared. However, the holiday crowd at Amboli falls makes the road congested and traffic slows down. Otherwise it is a good bet.
Old 9th August 2011, 13:08   #1481
Senior - BHPian

While coming from South Goa drive via karwar - kumta-honnavar - take left to NH206 - shimoga highway it is - within 35 km you get sharavati valley view point just right side of the highway - then within 20km you get right turn to jog falls. You will enjoy the scene and there is chance this time by aug. month end JOG might be in full glory.

Even from JOG - shimoga - blre you will love it in rains. You can cover this 650km in 12 hours. Expect few bad patches here and there and including fastest route nh4 has issues. So enjoy Shimoga route in rains!!

Ravi.

Ravi.
Old 9th August 2011, 16:27   #1482
BHPian

How is the road condition from Dharwad to Ramnagar via SH34?
I want to take Bangalore - Dharwad - Ramnagar - Panaji route.
Old 9th August 2011, 18:53   #1483
Senior - BHPian

asdon: Road work has started in that area to upgrade the road I heard but I don't have any latest update and someone said it sis ame situation like 2 years before. Expect 30-40km max. bad stretch.

Another 1 week heavy rain can make JOG majestic, as per prediction this year JOG might come in full glory and till august end if it rains heavily expect amazing JOG by aug. 28-30. This year Jala Rashi (but not pralaya) is possible in Karnataka. So one needs to watch out!!

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 9th August 2011 at 18:54.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:34   #1484
BANNED

Quote:
How is the road condition from Dharwad to Ramnagar via SH34?
I want to take Bangalore - Dharwad - Ramnagar - Panaji route.
DONT!!! Not for another couple of years atleast.

What are you driving? Anmod Ghat might not me in the best of states right now. Monsoons can break this road up in no time. If you are driving a vehicle of good ground clearance take the Kittur Route. The shortest but not the best.

Tillari might be in a bad state too. Best bet is Amboli.
Old 10th August 2011, 07:26   #1485
BHPian

Planning to go this or next weekend, is the Kittur stretch drivable for a Ritz?
Any idea about the road from Ramanagar to Anmod? It usually deteriorates during monsoon

Most Viewed