Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 16:41   #1501
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi asdon, I suggest you have early lunch at Panduranga International just 1 km before Kumta, on your right hand side. Honnavar hotels are bad especially the ones next to nh17.

Hi RGP, Avoid Jog-Kargal-bhatkal route since recently bridge collapse made this route is cut and heavy rain is always problem in this route otherwise it nice forest route.
JOG - Honnavar - Murdeshwar is always better route you can enjoy scenary and sharavati valley view if you are lucky.

No rains in that area since 3 days so expect dry JOG falls and 1 week heavy rain will make Linganamakki reservoir full!! It is expected in few weeks I hope.

Good VEG hotels as per my experience: Jewel Rock in Shimoga is good one, in sagar hotel next to lake and hotel next to 4 road joining circle is ok, Panduranga International at Kumta for stay and food, Sapna Hotel in Ankola off100mtrs from nh17, Panchavati in Sirsi. There are few more good ones which I need to try.

Non VEG: Amrut Restaurant @ KARWAR for non VEG (as per my friend)

Someone can try http://www.bakulahomestay.com/ near Sirsi and yatri nivas for stay.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 11th August 2011 at 16:51.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:44   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Cant wait for Saturday

VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Almost done with all planning,Return

Anyone going there tomorrow is welcome to join enroute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdsz View Post
Hoping for a splendid extended weekend in Goa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomingbhat View Post
@ adson I will be doing the same,except that would be doing in the reverse direction ie: Via Shimoga Tomorrow
Guys,

Have fun. Be safe. The sea will be rough with uneven under watre sand patterns which is highly risky. Dont try to swim and be careful when you step into waters. Take care of kids.

Here is a link for anyone who loves food in Goa. Enjoy Maadi!!!

travel.outlookindia.com | Home Fires

Last edited by Fauji : 11th August 2011 at 16:45.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 18:47   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Hi asdon, I suggest you have early lunch at Panduranga International just 1 km before Kumta, on your right hand side. Honnavar hotels are bad especially the ones next to nh17.
Yes, thats the one I will look for, stayed there once when went to Gokarna.
Old 11th August 2011, 20:49   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
JOG - Honnavar - Murdeshwar is always better
I had a real bad time with Honnavar-Murudeshwar (NH17) part of this route. Infact right from Gokarna. Bad roads and traffic to top it all
Old 12th August 2011, 20:42   #1505
BHPian

Reached goa in 11hrs. Took kittur,bidi,ramnagar route. For initial 18kms from kittur the road is broken but msnagebale. From there to khanapur the road is good. From khanapur to ramnagar managable with 3 potholed. But after ramnagar and before goa there two baap of all potholes, only i know how i managed them. So this road is a strict no for all cars. Heard from locals that Sawantwadi road is the only good option if you want to avoid karwar. Comming back via amboli route, as NH17 is also not in good shape.
Old 12th August 2011, 21:16   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reached goa in 11hrs. Took kittur,bidi,ramnagar route. For initial 18kms from kittur the road is broken but msnagebale. From there to khanapur the road is good. From khanapur to ramnagar managable with 3 potholed. But after ramnagar and before goa there two baap of all potholes, only i know how i managed them. So this road is a strict no for all cars. Heard from locals that Sawantwadi road is the only good option if you want to avoid karwar. Comming back via amboli route, as NH17 is also not in good shape.
Asdon,

11 hours is a long drive. Which strecth took maximum time?
Old 12th August 2011, 23:39   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji

Asdon,

11 hours is a long drive. Which strecth took maximum time?
Kittur to Goa. 4.5 hrs
Old 15th August 2011, 22:21   #1508

Folks,

I am back from the trip and wanted to post a short update that may be of help in the future, especially for people going to Tiracol from Bangalore.

I took the following route... Bangalore - Belgaum - Sawantawadi - Aronda - Tiracol

The point to note here is NOT to take the road to Panaji from Sawantawadi, which is what you will be directed to if you ask for directions to Goa.

On the way back took Tiracol - Panjim - Karwar - Gokarna - Kumta - Sirsi - Haveri - Bangalore. Some stretches on the SH17 and on the Sirsi - Haveri stretch are bad, but 98% great.

Cheers!
Krishna
Old 16th August 2011, 15:25   #1509
BHPian

Came back home yesterday, reached E-city at 6pm. There were mad rush at Tumkur and NBTL toll plaza, looks like Bangalore was a traffic free zone this weekend.

Took NH17-NH63-NH4 route while comming back after hearing that Sawantwadi route is not that great from fellow BHPIAN Vinod(Vindywheels). The only reason I wanted to avoid Karwar route that it takes lot of time from Madgaon to reach Karwar due to narrow roads. But NH 63(Ankola-Hubli) streach is in beautiful condition, easily managed constant 100+ on that streach.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:39   #1510
BHPian

I drove from Goa to Bangalore in April. Excellent roads all along and a nice ghat section too. I took Goa-Karawar-Hubli (take a left turn just before Ankola)-Bangalore.

I was doing a run-in of my Bolero and hence, did not cross 75-80kmph. It took me exactly 11 hours (4.00am at Goa, 3.00pm at Bangalore).

Hope this helps others who plan the same route.

Shyam
Old 17th August 2011, 15:29   #1511
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
I drove from Goa to Bangalore in April. Excellent roads all along and a nice ghat section too. I took Goa-Karawar-Hubli (take a left turn just before Ankola)-Bangalore.

I was doing a run-in of my Bolero and hence, did not cross 75-80kmph. It took me exactly 11 hours (4.00am at Goa, 3.00pm at Bangalore).

Hope this helps others who plan the same route.

Shyam
Any breaks on the road ?
How much time did that account for?

Because the timing with the speed limits that you mention, looks very good.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:50   #1512
BHPian

Quote:

Took NH17-NH63-NH4 route while coming back after hearing that Sawantwadi route is not that great from fellow BHPIAN Vinod(Vindywheels). .
What do you mean not that great? Is it not great driving wise or otherwise? I am planning a drive that way end of the month so this would help
Old 17th August 2011, 17:18   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
What do you mean not that great? Is it not great driving wise or otherwise? I am planning a drive that way end of the month so this would help
I mean the road condition, if you compare it with NH 63, then you can call it bad. Fro which part of Goa will you start?
Old 17th August 2011, 19:40   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
I mean the road condition, if you compare it with NH 63, then you can call it bad. Fro which part of Goa will you start?
I need to get to North, Mapusa, so this is a good option. Hopefully there is not much disturbance on the Ambolim stretch.
Old 17th August 2011, 19:45   #1515
BHPian

Slightly off track question, is there any beach in Honnavar? if yes how is it. I am not looking at Gokarna/Kumta/Murudeshwar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks