Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 19:28   #1531
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Guys I went through the thread and think more I read, I get more confused.
So there are three routes from bangalore as per google maps-
1. NH4 - BLR- TUMKUR- Davngere- Haveri- Ramnagar- Goa

2. NH-206- NH-17- BLR- TUMKUR- Shimoga- Ankola - Karwar-Goa

3. NH-206 - SH 47 - NH4 - BLR- TUMKUR- Hulliyer - Hosadurga- Davangere- (rest as #1)

One says NH17 is pathetic and other tell to avoid NH4.. Which one is preferable ???

I will be starting on 30th sept.
You missed my post, There are few many roads tough

Best will be as per road condition

Bangalore - Hubli(NH4) - Yellapur - Ankola(NH63)-Karwar - Goa(NH17).

Well there are 3 more routes
Bangalore - Belgaum(NH4) - Amboli-Sawantwadi - Panaji
Bangalore - Belgaum(NH4) - Tilarinagar via Tilarighat - Panaji
Bangalore - Tumkur(NH4) - Shimoga - Honnavar via Jog falls(NH206) - Gokarna - Karwar - Goa(NH17)
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 19:46   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
You missed my post, There are few many roads tough

Best will be as per road condition

Bangalore - Hubli(NH4) - Yellapur - Ankola(NH63)-Karwar - Goa(NH17).

Well there are 3 more routes
Bangalore - Belgaum(NH4) - Amboli-Sawantwadi - Panaji
Bangalore - Belgaum(NH4) - Tilarinagar via Tilarighat - Panaji
Bangalore - Tumkur(NH4) - Shimoga - Honnavar via Jog falls(NH206) - Gokarna - Karwar - Goa(NH17)
Thanks asdon.
I think I will be taking the Bangalore - Belgaum(NH4) - Amboli-Sawantwadi - Panaji onwards. Seems this is quite scenic. And i do not want to spend more time on rather negotiating the potholes ;-) ..
Old 21st August 2011, 20:27   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Thanks asdon.
I think I will be taking the Bangalore - Belgaum(NH4) - Amboli-Sawantwadi - Panaji onwards. Seems this is quite scenic. And i do not want to spend more time on rather negotiating the potholes ;-) ..
There has been a landslide yet again at amboli two days back,so might be a good option for you to take the nh63(hubli-yellapur-karwar-margao-panjim).this route is also equally scenic
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 20:54   #1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishna_kt View Post
Folks,

I am back from the trip and wanted to post a short update that may be of help in the future, especially for people going to Tiracol from Bangalore.

I took the following route... Bangalore - Belgaum - Sawantawadi - Aronda - Tiracol

The point to note here is NOT to take the road to Panaji from Sawantawadi, which is what you will be directed to if you ask for directions to Goa.

On the way back took Tiracol - Panjim - Karwar - Gokarna - Kumta - Sirsi - Haveri - Bangalore. Some stretches on the SH17 and on the Sirsi - Haveri stretch are bad, but 98% great.

Cheers!
Krishna
Hi Krishna!
You mentioned some stretches were bad on the return. Could you please elaborate on which particular stretches were bad?
Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 22:11   #1535

I'm going to Margao, South Goa from Bangalore, so don't want to go up to Belgaum/Khanapur.

Has anyone tried NH4 upto Dharwad, SH34 from Dharwad to Ramnagar, NH4A after that to Ponda, turning south on NH17B to Margao from Ponda?

Thanks!
Old 21st August 2011, 23:05   #1536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Hi Krishna!
You mentioned some stretches were bad on the return. Could you please elaborate on which particular stretches were bad?
Thanks
A few stretches of broken roads, probably due to the monsoon rains, but nothing much to complain or worry about. Just slows you down a bit as you will spend time negotiating the craters!
krishna_kt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 00:48   #1537
Senior - BHPian

I have travelled on two routes to goa -

1. Blr - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Panjim

2. Blr - Tumlur - Chitradurga - Hubli - Belgaum - Amboli - Pernem - Panjim

Both roads are excellent. If going to South goa, route 1 is preferred and route 2 if you are headed to North goa.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 06:43   #1538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjani View Post
I'm going to Margao, South Goa from Bangalore, so don't want to go up to Belgaum/Khanapur.

Has anyone tried NH4 upto Dharwad, SH34 from Dharwad to Ramnagar, NH4A after that to Ponda, turning south on NH17B to Margao from Ponda?

Thanks!
Look at ethnahunt's respone above. These are best options during this time. The road you are mentioning has huge craters and may be difficult for cars with low GC. You may look the earlierposts confirming this.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:47   #1539
BANNED

Quote:
You really really should read this thread well. Or atleast search it with the relevant keywords.

I understand google maps throws that up as one the routes and it seems logical to follow it. But that road has not been in existence for the last decade.

You can still do it. But it probably take you 16-18 hours to reach Goa border. + the time to reach South Goa.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:02   #1540
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!
Forget this route, for last 2 weeks I have been gathering information on this route, and to your response take NH 63 from Hubli, very nice streach with green cover and well laid ghat section(actually you will not find it as ghat). If you still insist on doing this, you will find toll exit on Hubli-Dharwad by-pass on your left, please check with them.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:39   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
There has been a landslide yet again at amboli two days back,so might be a good option for you to take the nh63(hubli-yellapur-karwar-margao-panjim).this route is also equally scenic
Hey ranjitp1, I think this is a very helpful info. I planned the hubli route while returning, but like you said, I think I will opting for this route for upward journey as well.
Thanks a lot.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:25   #1542
BHPian

hi,

I had taken the following route in the last week of July

Bangalore - Tumkur - shimoga - Jog Falls - Honavar - Kumta - Gokarna - Karwar - Goa

The Highwaysl involved were

bangalore - Tumkur NH 4
tumkur - Honavar NH 206
Honavar - Goa NH17

NH 206 and NH 17 are 2 laned roads and would not qualify for a typical highway. the traffic was moderate and the road condition varied from average to good. however, due to 2 laned roads the average speed was 50-60 kmph. Road from Jog falls to Honavar is potholed in spots due to heavy rains.

Overall, the roads are motorable and you may get to see some of the most beautiful sights along this route
Old 25th August 2011, 11:38   #1543
BHPian

Friends -Had a pleasant driving experience in Nov 2010 as well during the Aug 15th Long week end on this stretch thanks mainly to all the great BHPians here!Had been approved to be part here only last week!

This time around drove in the night and pretty much enjoyed the exp

Left on 11th August,2011 from Home(Hennur Main road) at 9:30 pm -reached Tumkur Toll gate by 11:30 pm.

From there on a very smooth experience-My daughters were watching movies in their respective rows(in my Innova) and my wife was keeping me company,off and on...and drove a steady 90-100 and reached Belgaum at 510 am(Via-Chitradurga,Davengere,Hubli(330am)-The road was brilliant with good prominent signage's and surprisingly the sparse Truck traffic also was very disciplined.Had slept well the previous nights and hence could manage the night drive with occasional coffee in between.

Did not want to do the ghats in the night so took a 2 hrs rest at Hotel Adarshplace,Belgaum-had break fast by 7 pm and left by 745-While originally planning to take the sawantwadi route-was told it was raining heavily in those parts of the ghat and hence changed my mind

Took-Khanapur,Anmod,Ramnagar,Ponda route-You have some massive craters after Ramnagar and due to rains you can't see them with water stagnation-best is to let a truck pass by you and judge the size from the Truck's jolt in all 3 directions and then map a strategy to negotiate .The last one My rear bumper almost scraped against the road.so cars with LGC pl watch out...Had occasional drizzles and fog for a while-enjoyable drive overall -NO MINING TRUCKS.Reached Panaji by 1045 am.

On the return:-Aug 15th,2011
Left Candolim by 1030 am -as I wanted to drive via karwar-through which I have not driven previously.

The drive was amazing-a lil painful till you exit South Goa-about 45 kms takes 1.5 hrs-After that till Karwar to Ankola is just breathtaking.The road till Karwar is not very wide-so one needs to precise for overtaking negotiating incoming traffic-it is also winding at places.But no threats.

Karwar to Hubli-Via Ankola,Yellapur -NH63 is beautiful-The road is much broader .more green and scenic and the ghat section much less steep compared to the Ramnagar route.This stretch is even doable in the nights I guess.Would try that soon.

reached Hubli by 245 PM-Had lunch at Ghar Dhaba BPCL which is about 10 kms after you cross the Tollgate on the left side.Left Hubli by 330 and hit the Tumkur Toll gate by 745 pm-It had a KM long traffic and took 20 minutes,an absolute waste of time.

After this -I took the State highway which diverts to the left at around the 12 th km from the Toll gate-that goes to Devanahalli as I wanted to avoid the Peenya madness,and also my destination is Hennur Main road-This road is decent and reached Devanahalli by 915-covering a distance of 50 kms-and then reached home by 1015 pm.

Hope those planning to do this route in future will find the information useful.

Last edited by subbu567 : 25th August 2011 at 11:54.
subbu567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 21:35   #1544
BANNED

So I am driving down on Saturday morning. Early start as usual - between 0300 to 0400 hours.

Taking the Kittur-Khanapur-Londa Route.

If you spot a first gen black Bolero driving at 90-100 kmph on NH4. That would probably be me.

Anybody doing the route that day?

Ganapati Bappa Moriya.
Old 26th August 2011, 13:54   #1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So I am driving down on Saturday morning. Early start as usual - between 0300 to 0400 hours.

Taking the Kittur-Khanapur-Londa Route.

If you spot a first gen black Bolero driving at 90-100 kmph on NH4. That would probably be me.

Anybody doing the route that day?

Ganapati Bappa Moriya.
that'd be me i've almost decided on using the JLN route to North Goa (BLR-Nelamangala-Davangere-Haveri-Hubli-Belgaum-Molem-Panaji-Fort Aguada)

~if you can spot a tiny Maruti Alto with a humongous 85k on Odos, that'd be a new member alert ~

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks