Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 11:09   #1621
BHPian

Re: Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Tirupati

Thanks asdon!
We are now planning to Leave at 1pm and skip Hubli by turning right from yellapur. We plan to hault at Bangalore on Outer Ring Road (Lotus Park). On 14th Oct we are planning to leave for Tirumala early morning for darshan.

How is Chittoor Road? some people suggets to avoid that road as its risky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
From Karwar follow NH17 till Ankola T Junction and take left towards Yellapur(NH 63).NH 63 is in very good condition, but why do you want to touch bangalore? Follow NH4 till Sira, then take NH 234, via Chikballapur till Mulbagal, road condition is ok. From Mulbagal to Tirupati via Chittoor, here also road condition is ok/better.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:05   #1622
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Saw Black africans here, had seen in discovery channels about Africans have settled in this forest long back.
Offtopic-these are the Siddis of Karnataka.The word derived from the Arabic word-Sayyedi.Its amazing as to how they have mingled with the local population and speak fluent kannada & konkani.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:47   #1623
BHPian

Re: Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Tirupati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
How is Chittoor Road? some people suggets to avoid that road as its risky.
How can someone go to Tirupati without touching Chittoor if going from Bangalore? The road is 4 lane upto Mulbagal and then 2 lane but in very good condition; yes there is a road from hoskot if you take left but that road is not less than nightmare.
Old 13th October 2011, 15:16   #1624
BANNED

What is best route/road to reach Calangute, GOA from Bangalore. Planing a Trip this month end.

Also some point of interest there please.
Old 13th October 2011, 15:25   #1625
BANNED

Quote:
And ofcourse there wont be petrol station near any tourist places like caulaguate or Baga. Dont know why there is no petrol station near tourist place and petrol is sold at Rs 80 a bottle for bikes. Looks like big petrol mafia is behind this
There was actually a Petrol Bunk right in the middle of Calangute. You can still see the remnants of that bunk even today. Just opposite the bus stand.

What happened was, since that place is heavily touristy. The bunk used to always have no fuel. So where was it going? In those pet bottles. Instead of earning some paisa's per litre the owner sold it for Rs 2 extra in black. Right from the nozzle. That in turn got sold for Rs 4 extra to you - the tourist.

We the locals knew this and insisted on getting fuel out of the bunk. I remember my friend yanking off the gun from the attendants hand and filling our bike. Even after he had the No Petrol Board hanging. People around the place had enough. Got together complained and the bunk closed for good. Now when a new one is being sought, the local politico's are grappling with each other on which location this should actually come up. And this has been happening for the last decade.
Old 13th October 2011, 16:05   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
What is best route/road to reach Calangute, GOA from Bangalore. Planing a Trip this month end.

Blr-Tumkur-NH4-Hubli-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Banda-Mapusa-Calangute

Tumkur, Karnataka to Calangute, Goa - Google Maps
Old 13th October 2011, 16:17   #1627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
There was actually a Petrol Bunk right in the middle of Calangute. You can still see the remnants of that bunk even today. Just opposite the bus stand.

What happened was, since that place is heavily touristy. The bunk used to always have no fuel. So where was it going? In those pet bottles. Instead of earning some paisa's per litre the owner sold it for Rs 2 extra in black. Right from the nozzle. That in turn got sold for Rs 4 extra to you - the tourist.

We the locals knew this and insisted on getting fuel out of the bunk. I remember my friend yanking off the gun from the attendants hand and filling our bike. Even after he had the No Petrol Board hanging. People around the place had enough. Got together complained and the bunk closed for good. Now when a new one is being sought, the local politico's are grappling with each other on which location this should actually come up. And this has been happening for the last decade.

That is an interesting information. I believe there is one bunk in Anjuna ?
Old 13th October 2011, 16:26   #1628
BANNED

Quote:
On the way to Anjuna, yes. The Mapusa Road. Or if you are coming towards Panaji just before the Mandovi bridge at Porvorim, or Betim below the bridge.

There is a bunk not more then 7-8 kilometers from Calangute. So even with one liter in a car, you still can get to a bunk from Calangute. Its really not a worry. The distances are quite short.
Old 13th October 2011, 16:32   #1629
BHPian

Quote:

Dont remember seeing one, but i know for sure that there's a bunk at Vagator.
Old 13th October 2011, 16:37   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post

Blr - Tumkur - NH4- Hubli- Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Calangute is the best route. It is little more in kms but better route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Blr-Tumkur-NH4-Hubli-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Banda-Mapusa-Calangute

Tumkur, Karnataka to Calangute, Goa - Google Maps
Avoid this, not good at all.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 09:01   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Blr - Tumkur - NH4- Hubli- Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Calangute is the best route. It is little more in kms but better route.
Is it necessary to go all the way up to Hubli? Google maps showed me the route as NH4-Haveri-Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Calangute?

I'm planning to drive there with 2 dogs in the car. I want a road that will allow me to drive in a steady speed, rather than fast so which route is the best one that has maximum 4 lane stretches and fewer bad roads?
Old 14th October 2011, 10:26   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Is it necessary to go all the way up to Hubli? Google maps showed me the route as NH4-Haveri-Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Calangute?

I'm planning to drive there with 2 dogs in the car. I want a road that will allow me to drive in a steady speed, rather than fast so which route is the best one that has maximum 4 lane stretches and fewer bad roads?
Take Hubli road, the Bankapur road may be few KM shorter but you will not save any time as such, and as you mentioned you are looking for max 4 lane, road till Hubli will provide you that option, and even after Hubli, NH 63 till Ankola is almost a 3 lane single road, so you can keep a constant speed with not much traffic.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:57   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sidkun, +1 to what ASDon has said. The road via Bankapur is not that good, and definitely not for a car. You are not likely to maintain steady speeds there.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:16   #1634
Senior - BHPian

@Sidkun,
As mentioned by others, take Hubli route. +200%
Just before you enter Hubli, on to your left you see a bypass to Ankola. Take that route and you would not enter the Hubli city also.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:47   #1635
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your help, asdon, Condor and rk_sans sirs. Hubli bypass, it is, then!

Last edited by sidkun : 14th October 2011 at 14:49.

Most Viewed