Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:20   #1726
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Just back from the Goa Trip. Started early morning on Jan 26. Reached back yesterday afternoon. Trip covered Goa (Madgaon/Ponda) and Kumta.

Route taken to Goa (based on everyone's recommendation) was BLR - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Madgaon. Lovely drive. Could cruise at 110kmph on NH4 and almost between 90-100kmph from Hubli to Ankola. Driving in Goa was very taxing since roads were super narrow (though in great condition). Could manage 70-80kmph there since it was an afternoon time on a national holiday.

Return Trip (from Kumta) was great as well. Route taken was Kumta - Sirsi - Haveri - Tumkur - BLR. Was very skeptical about the initial part of the trip, since i was driving early morning before daylight and through ghats. Thankfully roads were in good condition for most parts and once the ghats were done, could cruise around 90-100kmph for a major part of the remaining roads. Had to stop at a few places for directions (since road signs, if any, were in kannada which I cannot read).

I did the same route to Ponda on 21/01/2012 - BLR - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Madgaon - Ponda. The road between Hubli and Karwar is good to drive on but one has to watch out for stray cattle !!

On the return trip 25/01/2012 did Ponda - Karwar - Ankola - Honnavar - Sagar - Shimoga - Bangalore. Road is reasonably good on the Honnavar - Jog Falls section & the scenery is stunning - made a number of stops to take in the view. Particularly the view of Gersoppa Valley from the Forest Department Watchtower. I encountered quite heavy traffic on the Shimoga - Bangalore section NH206, slowed me down.

Satish
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:43   #1727
BHPian

A short clip of my drive via Ambeghat. The road which connects Canacona to Sanguem/Salaulim dam area.

Old 6th February 2012, 20:24   #1728
BHPian

Hi,

Would the Hubli - Karwar route be the preferable route to take if I need to get towards Baga beach from Bangalore?

TIA
Old 6th February 2012, 21:30   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi,

Would the Hubli - Karwar route be the preferable route to take if I need to get towards Baga beach from Bangalore?

TIA
No. For Baga, it would be better to go via Belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi which is scenic. I would recommend you to go by this route and return via Karwar - Hubli as that stretch is also very scenic especailly if are driving for the first time. Road conditions are good.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 19:38   #1730
BHPian

Its that Goa trip time for me again, but this time I have done some research on the tried and tested route which is BLR-HBL-KRWR-PANJ, now look at this alternative which I have thought of on the same route but taking a deviation from Bankapur (left), go via Mundgod (there is a Tibetan Monastery) and reach Yellapur. So from Bankapur the route changes and again you join back to the original route at Yellapur.

Tried and tested option;Bangalore - Hubli (by-pass) - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa
Alternative is; Bangalore - Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa

Has anybody tried this route? This way I save almost 50kms, what say guys is this workable?

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 7th February 2012 at 19:43. Reason: Route is not showing properly the way I wanted to
Old 8th February 2012, 15:39   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Alternative is; Bangalore - Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa

Has anybody tried this route? This way I save almost 50kms, what say guys is this workable?
If you refer to page 111, it was advised that we stick to normal hubli bypass route. around 20km was suppose to be bad.

But that was in october last year. Even i am looking forward to travel by car next month and would love to save time/distance.

Any updates would be really appreciated
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 15:45   #1732
BHPian

@zulfi hansi

Have taken this route to Goa in the last week of Jan. Its a single road and not in good condition. If your driving an SUV its fine. Or else its not recommended.
Best is to stick to Bangalore - Hubli (by-pass) - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa

regards
Ashok
Ash_bn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 11:17   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_bn View Post
@zulfi hansi

Have taken this route to Goa in the last week of Jan. Its a single road and not in good condition. If your driving an SUV its fine. Or else its not recommended.
Best is to stick to Bangalore - Hubli (by-pass) - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa

regards
Ashok
I was hopeful to see some improvement on that road, but as you said it is still the same, I wanted to know how much time did it take for you to pass that patch of 20 kms, I suppose you were driving Linea and with low GC I can understand how much of a pain it could have been. I am driving Corolla and I still feel I can pull it off (with a little better GC). I was keen on this route because I was told that the jungle around is great and higher chances of spotting wild life.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:49   #1734
BHPian

I took about 1.5 hrs to cover the hole stretch from NH4 deviation until reaching the Hubli -Ankola road.
The forest stretch is really good and the surface is good.

regards
Ashok
Old 17th February 2012, 11:33   #1735
BHPian

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-bangaloregoa-mmi-xuvi.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenhunter_06-feb.-17-11.37.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenhunter_06-feb.-17-11.40.jpg

Guys need expert advice...... did anyone tested above Bangalore <> Goa route? which one is best???

Last edited by Tushargohil : 17th February 2012 at 11:40.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:44   #1736
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Guys need expert advice...... did anyone tested above Bangalore <> Goa route? which one is best???
As mentioned earlier, neither. One goes via Ponda which has pretty bad roads.
While other goes via Bankapur/Mundgod. That is also is not good.

Take the regular one via Hubli bypass, Yellapur - Ankola.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 11:50   #1737
BHPian

Tushargohil,
I traveled the Shimoga route you are considering (Pune - Goa - Honnavar - shimoga - Bangalore) in September by motorcycle in pouring rain. Its an understatement when I say the road is nasty. Even though this was 5 months ago, I'm pretty sure the conditions have not improved by any substantial extent. I am driving Goa - Blore soon, and will gladly stick to the Yellapur - Hubli route. Dont think twice!

Cheers
Rahul

EDIT: In post #1726 dated 2.2.12, Satshen says the road is alright now, so I guess I stand corrected.

Last edited by voodoochild : 17th February 2012 at 12:07.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 13:05   #1738
BHPian

Guys how about Hubli > Dharwad route?? would it use most of NH4 ? any suggestion.... i will be using XUV for this trip..
Old 17th February 2012, 15:01   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys how about Hubli > Dharwad route?? would it use most of NH4 ? any suggestion.... i will be using XUV for this trip..
The Hubli route is the one which Ampere mentioned in his earlier post.Take the Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-NH17-Panjim route if South Goa is your destination.You would leave NH4 at Hubli and join NH63.You would leave NH63 at Ankola and join NH17.

If it is the north that is your destination,then take the Hubli-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim route.Do not go via the NH4A (khanapur-londa-ponda route).
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 15:03   #1740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Beyond Dharwad there are two options:

1. Haliyal-Dandeli-Joida-Ramnagar-Anmod-Ponda-Madgaon
2 .Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Ponda-Madgaon

Both options are pathetic. In my opinion not worth taking at all. Unless you really want to go via Kali river valley to see the views.
If that is the case, take the Dandeli-Joida option. But do note, roads are bad.

EDIT: As Ranjit mentioned, if North Goa is the destination, take the Belgaum-Amboli route.

Last edited by ampere : 17th February 2012 at 15:05.

Most Viewed