Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 11:46   #1786
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
Agreed, even I am thinking the same now. Whatever time I have to save, I will have to save it till hubli. Roads will be good and I will be relatively fresh too.
If you see in the morning hours, there is nothing much to stop for. Even if you keep doing 80 all the time,
that is the near-about average you would easily get. At 70 or 75 you would be done more than 200km in 3 hours at max.
Old 18th March 2012, 21:22   #1787
BHPian

Did Bangalore- Hubli (400km) in 5.15 hrs with a 20 minute break at kamat upachar,Dobbaspet.
Hubli-Karwar (155km) in 2.45 hrs with a 30 minute lunch break at kamat upachar, Ankola.
Karwar--Palolem (42km) in 30 minutes. Total time 8.5hrs for 595 km. Road conditions have already been updated by Fauji. However, on the return, we took 9.5 hrs as it was a Sunday evening & it took us 4 hrs from chitradurga due to heavy truck traffic.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:40   #1788

Hello BHPians,

All kicked up about the trip that starts in a day and half. Based on what I have read here, attached is what I am aiming at.

The average speeds assume that I will be the sole driver in my car and factors in time of day/night, road conditions and driver tiredness levels.

Do let me know if I am way off in any of the estimates.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-blrplmgokblr.jpg  

Old 19th March 2012, 21:20   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzantine View Post
Hello BHPians,

All kicked up about the trip that starts in a day and half. Based on what I have read here, attached is what I am aiming at.

The average speeds assume that I will be the sole driver in my car and factors in time of day/night, road conditions and driver tiredness levels.

Thanks!
Looks good. Some comments.

a) I am afraid there is not much option for breakfast on Hubli bye pass. Suggest have breakfast in Kamat twenty KMs before Hubli.

b) You will reach Sagara from Gokarna earlier than planned. The roads are very good. I hope you are driving via Honnavar.
Old 20th March 2012, 10:41   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

Thanks!
Considering the traffic because of the work (loads of diversions) near Chitradurga, I don't think that you can reach hubli in 4Hrs 15mins! I came back yday from Goa via hubli. Started driving from Hubli and took me two hrs to reach Chitradurga. From Chitradurga to Bangalore, it took me a good 3 and a half hrs. If you still manage to do it, that means insane speeds, which is against the law !!
Old 20th March 2012, 10:54   #1791
Senior - BHPian

I recently came through an interesting route whiling coming down from Dandeli. Part of the route is common with the Hubli - Karwar route, so can be explore by those who love driving on country roads/ forest roads, and don't mind a couple of bumpy stretches.

Route: Bangalore - Bankapur (NH4) - Mundgod - Yellapur (SH6) - normal NH 67 to Karwar.

Between Bankapur and Yellapur, majority of the route is through forest.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:40   #1792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Route: Bangalore - Bankapur (NH4) - Mundgod - Yellapur (SH6) - normal NH 67 to Karwar.

Between Bankapur and Yellapur, majority of the route is through forest.

Nilanjan its a known route. But many a times this single lane gets stuck. And if one is in a hurry to finish off those km, it can stall it quite a bit.

You yourself must have noted that.
How is the latest up date? No re-tarring? Still the same bumpy single lane?
Old 20th March 2012, 12:43   #1793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post

a) I am afraid there is not much option for breakfast on Hubli bye pass. Suggest have breakfast in Kamat twenty KMs before Hubli.

b) You will reach Sagara from Gokarna earlier than planned. The roads are very good. I hope you are driving via Honnavar.
Ayes for both Fauji. Was wondering if there is any distinct landmark to locate the Kamat you are referring to? Or does one have to slow down and keep an eye out on the left when one reaches the approximate location?

Quote:
Considering the traffic because of the work (loads of diversions) near Chitradurga, I don't think that you can reach hubli in 4Hrs 15mins! I came back yday from Goa via hubli. Started driving from Hubli and took me two hrs to reach Chitradurga. From Chitradurga to Bangalore, it took me a good 3 and a half hrs. If you still manage to do it, that means insane speeds, which is against the law !!
Well thats a dampner... will probably leave an hour earlier. Don't want to be on the wrong side of the law, in a state where I am yet to master the local language even after 4 years of staying here
Old 20th March 2012, 12:56   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nilanjan its a known route. But many a times this single lane gets stuck. And if one is in a hurry to finish off those km, it can stall it quite a bit.

You yourself must have noted that.
How is the latest up date? No re-tarring? Still the same bumpy single lane?
Bumpy in stages. Not meant for fast driving, more for enjoying nature and countryside.

I came in the afternoon, faced very little traffic.
Old 20th March 2012, 13:04   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ayes for both Fauji. Was wondering if there is any distinct landmark to locate the Kamat you are referring to? Or does one have to slow down and keep an eye out on the left when one reaches the approximate location?

Well thats a dampner... will probably leave an hour earlier. Don't want to be on the wrong side of the law, in a state where I am yet to master the local language even after 4 years of staying here
After crossing Haveri, you can keep a watch for it and it has a good signage which you will not miss.

4.15 hours is possible to Hubli since you are leaving early. As Bantejas rightly pointed out, returning from Chitradurga will always take more time especailly if you are driving in the evening which generally happens as most fo us leave the destination in the morning after BF while returning. This is due to the fact that truck traffic increase after Chitradurga - blame it on NH 13.

To be on the safer side keep 4.30 hrs from NICE road junction - i take exactly 30 mins from E City junction till Tumkur road - to Hubli.

Bangalore - Chitradurga :- 2.30 hrs
Chitradurga - Hubli :- 2 hrs
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:46   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post

If you want to try some excellent, local north karnataka food,do so at Kalhatgi town, about 20km from Hubli on NH67. Otherwise, stick to the upachaar.
Old 24th March 2012, 15:36   #1797
Senior - BHPian

I heard devimane (sirsi-kumta-ankola area) and doddamane (siddapur-kumta area) ghat roads are closed or partially closed due to road work. Avoid these routes and try yellapur-ankola or jog-honnavar ghat road instead.

Ravi.
Old 25th March 2012, 20:23   #1798
BHPian

Planning a trip from Bangalore to Goa(Ozran beach - North Goa) during April last week. I have gone through the different posts here and the popular routes mentioned are

Route 1
Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Ozran beach (694 km)
Outer Ring Rd to Unknown road - Google Maps

Route 2 (NH48 - SH 130)
Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum - Murkutewadi(SH130) - Dodamarg(SH130) - Ozran beach (657 km)

Route 3
Bangalore - Hubli - Yallapur - Karwar - Panaji - Ozran beach (728 km)

And many have suggested to take Route 1 if destination is north goa, But not sure about current road condition. Anyone has tried Route 2 ?

Please let me know which is the best route to take in terms of time and driving comfort.
Old 26th March 2012, 11:27   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Planning a trip from Bangalore to Goa(Ozran beach - North Goa) during April last week. I have gone through the different posts here and the popular routes mentioned are
Go via Route 1. That is the best. The road conditions beyond Belgaum is decent.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 23:43   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The standard answer is to just follow 4L all the way till Hubli (NH4 now being called NH48).

At Hubli by-pass you would see NH63 (I think now its called NH67).
Take that to Ankola via Yellapur and there on to Calangute on the Konkan highway.

Don't take any other route. This is the safest and the best possible option.
This is my preferred route from panjim to goa as well. However, has anyone tried NH4A to belgaum then NH4 all the way to blore recently? Any update on this route as compared to the one above?

Most Viewed