Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 13:29   #1876
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Plan to start at 4am instead of 5am. That one hour head start really helps. You can get out of Hubli before the sun peaks up.

If you can make it to NICE road Hosur road entry by 4:15am you would be out of Hubli by 10 even with a half an hour break.
I would recommend the Kamat at Ranebennur. That makes a good breakpoint. You would have covered 350km by then.
Yes, I know earlier the better - Just the practicality of Family getting ready so early!

Since it is early morning, I am thinking of taking through City instead of NICE Road - can save 25km, tolls and not lose time? Any views here?
Old 10th May 2012, 14:22   #1877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder
Since it is early morning, I am thinking of taking through City instead of NICE Road - can save 25km, tolls and not lose time? Any views here?
I would say take the NICE road. Its really worth it. Immediately after you get out of HSR you can get on to highway.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 21:24   #1878
BHPian

Made my Goa Trip on 12th May 2012 as planned – Left HSR Layout at 4:45 AM – cut through city got past Yeshwanthpur onto Tumkur – Hubli – Yellapur – Ankola – Karwar – Margoa – Colva. Breakfast stop at Rannebennur at 8:45 AM and Lunch after reaching Colva at 2:00 PM – That was just 9:15 hrs duration – about 8:30 hours drive and 45-50 minutes for breaks. The roads were Good – this was one of the best drives I’ve had so far. Recommend this route to anyone who wants to make it to Goa Fast.

Return was to Kerala – found the roads south of Ankola pretty bad – so that’s another reason to avoid Goa via Shimoga – Honnavar route till the roads are done!
Old 15th May 2012, 22:37   #1879
BHPian

Today, came back from Goa. Took Shimoga, Honnavar Karwar route. Picturesque route. Did relaxed driving. Took me about 11 hours. Roads after Tumkur are 2 Lane. In early hours its OK. But need to be careful in day time, Traffic is bad at some places. After Bhadravati, roads are mostly deserted. I will try Hubli route next time. Saw a horrible accident after Tumkur while going to Goa (11th early morning). Its always better to be late than never!!
Old 16th May 2012, 17:40   #1880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If you are travelling to Ponda then I would suggest the following route:Hubli-Dharwad-Haliyal-Ganeshgudi-Londa-Mollem-Ponda.Prashant Shenoi took precisely this route to Panjim a couple of days back an he has reported excellent roads all throughout.You could safely take this I suppose.Quoting his update below for your reference.
Ranjit Sir,
What's the best route to go from hubli dharwad to Condolim A freind of mine is travelling from there, so could you please let me know how to get through belgaum / bypass? and to changad and amboli. Have found the route map on mapmyindia as under
Print : MapmyIndia.com

Need to avoind Tilari, Any suggestions?
Old 16th May 2012, 17:54   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ranjit Sir,
What's the best route to go from hubli dharwad to Condolim A freind of mine is travelling from there, so could you please let me know how to get through belgaum / bypass? and to changad and amboli. Have found the route map on mapmyindia as under
Print : MapmyIndia.com

Need to avoind Tilari, Any suggestions?
Hubli to Candolim I would suggest two routes,

Route 1:Longer route as he would have to drive through the whole of South to reach North(means more driving on the singlelaned roads).Hubli-Karwar would take approx 2.5hrs,after which the traffic begins to get dense once he crosses into Goa.

Hubli-NH63-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Madgaon-Panjim-Candolim

Hubli, Karnataka to Candolim - Google Maps

Route 2,shorter route

Hubli-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Candolim

Hubli, Karnataka to Candolim, Goa - Google Maps
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 18:50   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hubli to Candolim I would suggest two routes,

Route 2,shorter route

Ranjit, this second route is what I had in mind. Google maps is clear when you zoom in cos I was concerned about the crossing across bengaum city and secondy the turn to go to Gele and not downwards to Tilari.
Old 16th May 2012, 19:53   #1883
BHPian

Presently in Goa, typing this on my mobile, took the hubli-yellapur-ankola-karwar-margo-panaji-candolim. Great roads throughout.

On my return, planning to take the sawantwadi-amboli-belgaum, will post a detailed reply after I get back home.
Old 19th May 2012, 18:01   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Route 2,shorter route

Ranjit,
My friend drove on this route this morning. He says it's a bad road from belgaum to Amboli. So just posting this incase anyone needs to know. This used to be a good road a few years ago.
Cheers
Old 21st May 2012, 16:08   #1885
BHPian

Bangalore to Goa trip via Udipi & Dandeli. Route/ accommodation query

I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Goa via Udipi or Mangalore in first week of June. I have 7 days starting June 2nd and plan to be back in Bangalore by 8th.

Intend to spend a day or two at Dandeli and couple of days in Goa (Anjuna).Looking for advice on best route to take or any particular stretch to avoid, Places to visit & accommodation options etc & overall how will this route be during Monsoons ?

Here is the route that I plan to take. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and valuable inputs.

Bangalore to Mangalore- Via Charmadi Ghats ? Should I continue till Udipi or stay at Mangalore ?

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-bangalore-mangalore.jpg

Mangalore to Dandeli- Places to see enroute ?

Name:  Mangalore to Dandeli.png
Views: 6411
Size:  122.5 KB

Dandeli to Goa - Is this the best route ?

Name:  Dandeli to Goa.png
Views: 4750
Size:  92.8 KB

Goa to Bangalore- Best route and can we do it in a day ?

Name:  goa to bangalore.png
Views: 2169
Size:  215.6 KB

Last edited by s@tan2s@int : 21st May 2012 at 16:10.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:39   #1886
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Goa trip via Udipi & Dandeli. Route/ accommodation query

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
Here is the route that I plan to take. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and valuable inputs.

- Bangalore-Mangalore: I will let others comment.
- Mangalore-Dandeli :

That is the right route. From Yellapur you turn to Dandeli and go via Bhadrawathi

Dandeli-Goa : Again the right route. Goes via Gansehgudi/Ram Nagar.

Goa-Bangalore : Karwar-Ankola-Hubli. Thats the best route.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:25   #1887
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore to Mangalore- Via Charmadi Ghats ? Should I continue till Udipi or stay at Mangalore ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Bangalore-Mangalore: I will let others comment.
For Bangalore-Mangalore take the Sakleshpura road via Shiradi ghat. This road is in good condition now since last 2/3 months. There is an entire thread dedicated for Bangalore-Mangalore/Udupi and you can see the latest updates there.
EDIT: this is the thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...udupi-273.html

Last edited by NPV : 22nd May 2012 at 09:28.
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:14   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For Bangalore-Mangalore take the Sakleshpura road via Shiradi ghat. This road is in good condition now since last 2/3 months. There is an entire thread dedicated for Bangalore-Mangalore/Udupi and you can see the latest updates there.
]
Thanks NPV.. I read in one of the posts in the thread that you mentioned that the Shiradi Ghat stretch is avoidable & the Charmadi ghat stretch is more scenic and better to drive. Which one do you suggest is better ?
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:36   #1889
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quote:
Thanks NPV.. I read in one of the posts in the thread that you mentioned that the Shiradi Ghat stretch is avoidable & the Charmadi ghat stretch is more scenic and better to drive. Which one do you suggest is better ?
The best route to Mangalore keeps changing by the day! Some days its Shiradi and some days Charmadi etc. That is why only regulars in this section can have first hand information.

For the 2-3 months Shiradi was the best. But again, since I dont how it is today, I could not comment. As @NPV mentioned you will need to check the Bangalore-Mangalore thread for the current status of these routes and chose accordingly.
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:53   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope you have some reason to drive to Mangalore to get to Goa, else the usual Bangalore-Goa route is shorter and faster.

Take the Shiradi route. Its not raining so much that the roads can get ruined that fast. I last drove about a month back, but till last week i heard that not much has changed

Shiradi is the widest and fastest route(its a NH) and you can make it to Mangalore in 6-6.5 hours.

But if your stop is Udupi, then perhaps you can save a bit of time if you take Charmadi and then belthangadi-karkala-udupi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks