Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 13:00   #1921
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
How do you intend to go to the falls.Only bikes would take you there or hire jeeps if you are lucky to find them.

One options is to to get back on NH4A and take the route via Ramnagar-Alnavar-Hubli.

The other option is to come via Haliyal-Dandeli-Dharwad-Hubli-NH4.

Check this thread for updates http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2640561
What I understand that we can drive in our cars upto kulem (and thats what I intend to do). From there take the jeep or any other mode of transport if available. I am really not sure about the connectivity to the falls.

Any suggestions how can they be covered?

Regards,
Old 17th June 2012, 15:42   #1922
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
None of them. For good wide roads follow the second option all the way to Hubli.
Take the bypass road and after 2km from the Hubli bypass toll, you will see the exit for Ankola. This is the NH63. Take this road. So the route now becomes:

Bangalore - Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Margaon - Varca. Distance is 629 kms.
Ive taken this route few times before, but the road conditions weren't that great, I once came across a HUGE line of mining lorries parked on the side on the road must have been close to a 100 at least. I am assuming from the updates that its been surfaced recently and that since the mining barons are rightfully relaxing in jail, the conditions are better !

Please suggest some good diesel bunks on route and also decent food stops on the way Stop at Davangere for benne dosa already planned !

Plan is to leave Blore early morning around 5 am.

Suggestions from all Bhpians welcomed !
Old 17th June 2012, 15:48   #1923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Ive taken this route few times before, but the road conditions weren't that great,
I once came across a HUGE line of mining lorries parked on the side on the road must have been close
to a 100 at least.
The conditions have improved drastically and you wont find any mining trucks nowadays.
NH63 from Hubli and Ankola is butter smooth (and without these trucks! )

So definitely its worth taking that route. But having said that now Tumkur-Chitradurga is getting 6-laned.
There are many diversions. (Road surface is good. Just that there are diversions). Hence need to take care for that.

Last edited by ampere : 17th June 2012 at 15:53.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 21:27   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Ive taken this route few times before, but the road conditions weren't that great, I once came across a HUGE line of mining lorries parked on the side on the road must have been close to a 100 at least. I am assuming from the updates that its been surfaced recently and that since the mining barons are rightfully relaxing in jail, the conditions are !
I have done this route in end May. Good road condition through out. Light to moderate traffic except for heavy traffic between Bangalore - Chitradurga section.
sureshurs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 14:20   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Ive taken this route few times before, but the road conditions weren't that great, I once came across a HUGE line of mining lorries parked on the side on the road must have been close to a 100 at least. I am assuming from the updates that its been surfaced recently and that since the mining barons are rightfully relaxing in jail, the conditions are better !

Please suggest some good diesel bunks on route and also decent food stops on the way Stop at Davangere for benne dosa already planned !

Plan is to leave Blore early morning around 5 am.

Suggestions from all Bhpians welcomed !
Mining lorries are gone, just plain vanilla roads, good throughout the stretch; just watch out for diversions between Shira-Chitradurga like Ampere said which may slow you down a little. Also watch out for one or two major humps before and after Davangere. Despite warnings, my friends have jumped over them at high speeds

You will get Bunks every 40 kms on NH4 stretch, but may not necessarily get Diesel. So fill up the tank before leaving Bangalore. For Food you have Kamath at Tumkur road(both your right and left sides), Shira(your right Side), just before Ranebennur(left side), 40kms after Haveri(right side), Ankola cross turn left -> 500 meters(turning right will take you towards Karwar and Goa).
shenoytech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 12:31   #1926
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
Need a bit of pointers. On the outright I must confess I haven't gone through this thread, and am just putting down my query. Although I will give time to go through this thread later.

I will be driving down from Goa to Bangalore later in mid - July, alone. My travel period is leaving Goa around noon, and heading to Bangalore (Hoskate).
- I understand there are multiple routes (via Hubli / via Shimoga / other route (?))
- Which of the above would take me the least time?
- And what is the average time on that route? Also on the alternate routes?
Old 27th June 2012, 12:44   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Which of the above would take me the least time?
- And what is the average time on that route? Also on the alternate routes?
IMO, best route would be:Goa-Karwar-Yellapur-Kalghatgi-Hubli-Bangalore.

Karwar - Hubli would be max 3 hours, Hubli - Bangalore would be 6-7 hours. No idea about Goa - Karwar.

Do note that there are not many decent places to have a pit stop on the Karwar - Hubli stretch.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 13:33   #1928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
IMO, best route would be:Goa-Karwar-Yellapur-Kalghatgi-Hubli-Bangalore.

Karwar - Hubli would be max 3 hours, Hubli - Bangalore would be 6-7 hours. No idea about Goa - Karwar.

Do note that there are not many decent places to have a pit stop on the Karwar - Hubli stretch.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks boss. I wouldn't be requiring any pit stop - will be trying to get to Bangalore as early as possible.

Just a thought - when I mapped the above route on Gmaps, it shows an alternate route from Yellapur to Haveri without touching Hubli (which ideally saves me close to 60-100kms). Any thoughts on such options?
Old 27th June 2012, 13:58   #1929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will be driving down from Goa to Bangalore later in mid - July, alone. My travel period is leaving Goa around noon, and heading to Bangalore (Hoskate).
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
No idea about Goa - Karwar.

2 hours to Ankola, if you are driving from Madgaon. If North Goa, easily add another hour.
Then add another two to Hubli from the Ankola crossing on NH63 from NH17.

Also if you are going to Hoskote the best option from NH4 is via NH207. Bypasses Bangalore fully.

Route Link

Very good to decent roads all the way on this bypass (NH207 now also called Nh648)

Edit:
At night better to stick to the Hubli route. Dont take the route from Yellapur to Haveri or Bankapur.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2012 at 14:00.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:15   #1930
BHPian

Just back from a drive from Bangalore to Sirsi via Davanagere-Haveri route.

The Tumkur - Haveri section is under going 6 laning work. i guess 30% of it is complete. Long way to go.

So, every now and then, u need to take a diversion and drive on the newly tarmaced service lane which runs parallel to the Highway.

So it kind off restricts the speed and i ended up doing Bangalore to Davanagere in 4.5 Hours, whereas i usually could have done it in 3.5 Hrs.

While returning, i took the Sagar - Shimogga - Chalkere - Holalkere - ChitraDurga - Tumkur - Bangalore route.
I must say, Sagar - Shimogga route is in top notch condition.
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:18   #1931
BHPian

Also would like to add that, the Sirsi- Kumta road seems to be in brilliant condition. New tarmac atleast till 25 Kms outside of Sirsi town.
I checked out this road on the way to Unchalli Falls, wherein, i took a deviation off the Aminahalli towards the falls.

So, ppl travelling to Goa can also keep Bangalore - Sirsi - Mirjan - Goa as an option too.
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:39   #1932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Also would like to add that, the Sirsi- Kumta road seems to be in brilliant condition. New tarmac atleast till 25 Kms outside of Sirsi town.
I checked out this road on the way to Unchalli Falls, wherein, i took a deviation off the Aminahalli towards the falls.

So, ppl travelling to Goa can also keep Bangalore - Sirsi - Mirjan - Goa as an option too.
I believe the Sirsi - Kumta road is WIP. THe ghat section is under repair and only vehicles from one direction are allowed at a time for a certain section of the ghat. I had to do Sirsi - Honnavar recently and was advised to take the Sirsi - Siddapur - Honnavar route instead of Sirsi - Kumta - Honnavar. The roads were in excellent shape generally and the beautiful scenery was a sight for sore eyes .
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:48   #1933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just back from a drive from Bangalore to Sirsi via Davanagere-Haveri route.

While returning, i took the Sagar - Shimogga - Chalkere - Holalkere - ChitraDurga - Tumkur - Bangalore route.
I must say, Sagar - Shimogga route is in top notch condition.
Quote:
Thanks!
Do share the overal timelines - Bangalore - Sirsi (via Tumkur & Haveri) and the return trip timelines. You just gave me more food for thought for my trip next week!
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:19   #1934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
Do share the overal timelines - Bangalore - Sirsi (via Tumkur & Haveri) and the return trip timelines. You just gave me more food for thought for my trip next week!
I did Bangalore - Sirsi recently via Haveri. Total time taken : 6hrs with half hour breakfast break. Total distance 410 kms. THe advantage of this route is that more than 75 % is on four lane highway (upto Haveri).
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:28   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Guys, which would be the quickest route right now?

1. Tumkur-Chitradurga-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar
or
2. Tumkur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Honavar-Karwar

How is the road condition with option 2?

Apologies if its a repeated a question here.

Most Viewed