Old 31st July 2012, 17:44   #1951
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its the standard route:

Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-Karawar-Madgaon-Panjim

Also its very very advantageous to leave Bangalore by 4AM. That way,
you can zip through the diversions (which you find till Chitradurga) before the six lane work for the day begins.

If on the way back you plan to cover Dudhsagar, I not sure it you can make till Bangalore during day time. By the time you are done with
the falls, it would be easily past noon. The route to Hubli from Kulem, goes via Castle Rock/Ganeshgudi/Dandeli. These are heavy ghat sections.
Hence I would say plan for one more day.
Thanks Ampere! I still have one doubt on this route. Do we really touch Hubli on this route? Or take a diversion before?
Please check out these screenshots and let me know.

Route touching Hubli:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-routeviahbl.jpg

Diversion before Hubli:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-routenohbl.jpg

Thanks!
Old 31st July 2012, 18:48   #1952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Thanks Ampere! I still have one doubt on this route. Do we really touch Hubli on this route? Or take a diversion before?
Please check out these screenshots and let me know.

EVery one who looks at that map has that doubt ! Because the earlier diversion via Bankapur seems very logical.
But the road is very narow. We gain too much time. Its a difference of about 40km. But that distance you can cover
very fast in the wide 4-lane and also an very wide 2-lane. But if you want to enjoy the scenic route, you can take this route (via Mundgod).

So its good to take the 4-lane all the way till Hubli, take the by-pass and then exit the bypass to take the Ankola road.
The road conditions are so very good, that you dont feel the extra distance at all.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 14:42   #1953
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to do Bangalore - South Goa around the Aug 15 weekend. I would probably take Blr - Chitradurga - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - South Goa. I have a couple of questions for people who have travelled on this regularly -

1. Reliable Fuel bunks around Hubli on the highway ?
2. I am planning to leave late nite around 2-3am so that we can avoid the road widening work and hit Hubli early morning. What are the options around there for good breakfast ? Clean toilets are a must as two women would be travelling in the car ?
Old 1st August 2012, 14:59   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am planning to do Bangalore - South Goa around the Aug 15 weekend. I would probably take Blr - Chitradurga - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - South Goa. I have a couple of questions for people who have travelled on this regularly -

2. I am planning to leave late nite around 2-3am so that we can avoid the road widening work and hit Hubli early morning. What are the options around there for good breakfast ? Clean toilets are a must as two women would be travelling in the car ?
I would second the route – I took it May end and the road was excellent.
For Breakfast check out Kamat – there is one just before Ranebennur on the left and one little before Hubli on the right (there’s a huge Mobile Tower opposite that)
You will find petrol bunks in Hubli – I filled up at one just before Yellapur; there are a few just after Yellapur town also.
Hope this helps
Old 1st August 2012, 17:58   #1955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just before you enter the Hubli bypass, there is MRPL bunk, which is good.
Thanks to @condor, who told me about this bunk.

Quote:
2. I am planning to leave late nite around 2-3am so that we can avoid the road widening work and hit Hubli early morning.
What are the options around there for good breakfast ? Clean toilets are a must as two women would be travelling in the car ?
Leaving early is good. Need not be so early as 2AM. 3:30 is a good time, so that by 4 to 4:15 you are on the 4-lane beyond Nelamangala.
About Hotels you have Kamat at Dobbaspet, Sira, Ranebennur and Hubli.
The one best for you would be the last one (the one at Hubli).

But I think its on the other side while going towards Hubli.
Old 1st August 2012, 20:18   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just before you enter the Hubli bypass, there is MRPL bunk, which is good.
Thanks to @condor, who told me about this bunk.
Did a Bangalore-Goa trip on the 22nd of July and tanked up at this MRPL bunk.
Though the bunk was empty except for a couple of bikes, the fuel quality seemed to be good as i could get a good mileage.

This is the second time i am refilling at this bunk and faced no issues as such.
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:55   #1957
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I still have one doubt on this route. Do we really touch Hubli on this route? Or take a diversion before?
When nearing outskirts of Hubli there is a toll. Here, pay the toll (I think it is about Rs.20) to go towards Karwar via Yellapur. After paying the toll take the first left (it is marked for Karwar), going straight will take you to Hubli city.

Quote:
I am planning to leave late nite around 2-3am so that we can avoid the road widening work and hit Hubli early morning. What are the options around there for good breakfast ? Clean toilets are a must as two women would be travelling in the car ?
From my experience in March this year, you can safely start between 4-5 am. That way you will be able to stop for breakfast at Davanagere or beyond between 8.30-9.30 am. We had breakfast at Kotureshwara Benne Dosa, opposite BDT college in Davanagere, about 2Km off the highway to the right side (found this on @Fauji's travelogue).

Last edited by NPV : 2nd August 2012 at 08:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:11   #1958
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From my experience in March this year, you can safely start between 4-5 am. That way you will be able to stop for breakfast at Davanagere or beyond between 8.30-9.30 am. We had breakfast at Kotureshwara Benne Dosa, opposite BDT college in Davanagere, about 2Km off the highway to the right side (found this on @Fauji's travelogue).

The other place is Kamat at Ranebennur. Thats about 350 from Bangalore from NICE entry at Hosur road. If one starts by about 4:30, he should be there by 8:45/9AM. (Assuming an average of 80-85kmph)

The other reason why I suggest this is, one does not need to get into Davanagere.
(Unless of course he/she wants to taste the Benne Dosa! )
Old 6th August 2012, 12:07   #1959
BHPian

Hi, I need recommendations for hotel with a swimming pool in North Goa (Candolim or Calangute) for 2 nights (Aug 18th and 19th). My budget is Rs. 1200-1500 per night for a single room that can accommodate 4 persons.

On a couple of occassions in the past, in July season we stayed at "Sea Breeze"@Calangute for a rate of Rs. 1000-1200 per night for a single room that can accommodate 4 persons. Expecting a crowded weekend (Aug 15-19) I contacted Sea Breeze, and they were quoting ~Rs. 2000. I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations on hotels that can settle for Rs. 1200-1500, so that I can make advance reservations.

Last edited by nagvasireddy : 6th August 2012 at 12:15.
Old 6th August 2012, 12:13   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
Hi, I need recommendations for hotel in North Goa (Candolim or Calangute) for 2 nights (Aug 18th and 19th). Expecting a crowded weekend (Aug 15-19)
I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations on hotels that can settle for Rs. 1200-1500, so that I can make advance reservations.
Try BIG DADDY'S INN - Resort / Hotel in Goa with exquisitely furnished AC Rooms
but you will need 2 rooms for 4 people
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 15:20   #1961
BHPian

Closed the deal with "Sea Breeze" for Rs. 1700 per night.

I will be starting on Aug 17th morning to do Blr-tunkur-hubli-yellapur-karwar-south goa. Any suggestions/updates on this route are welcome.
Old 8th August 2012, 04:15   #1962

I did the shiradi ghat section this week end, they are doing lot of patch work. So lot of gravels on road. Potholes are there, one needs to be really careful while driving as i witnessed really heavy rains hampering the visibility. But still very much doable.
Old 8th August 2012, 14:12   #1963

Hi BHPians,

I read through this thread and went back 4-5 pages, I still could not find any mention of the alternate route to Goa via Sawantwadi. I had done this a couple of years back and it turned out to be the fastest way to reach Calangute.

I am talking about the route Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Hubli-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Pernem-Calangute. I would be thankful if someone could share their recent experience on this route. Thank you
Old 9th August 2012, 12:08   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gotj for bringing up the question, I had a similar ask. I am staying in North Goa and hence, I wanted to see if there are alternate routes to hit NH4 rather than go all the way south and through Yellapur while exiting Goa. Because for the onward journey will be taking the Shimoga route as family wants to see Jog falls as well.

Covering Goa is a tedious task. I have done this earlier on two occasions so wanted to explore other routes this time.

1. Hows the route from Ponda to Khanapur, is that via the dreaded NH4A? If so then any alternate routes with ok roads till Khanapur or hitting the NH4 before Hubli from the northern side.
2. 2nd route thought is Mapsua - Sanquelim - Satari - Olamani - Khanapur - NH4, the entire route is on SH31 but interesting Google maps has a broken section before Kankumbi
3. 3rd route is from Mapsua - Santawadi - via Amboli Ghats - Belgaum. I am a little suspect with the road condition here due to the recent monsoons.

Last edited by motomaverick : 9th August 2012 at 12:09.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:26   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thanks Gotj for bringing up the question, I had a similar ask. I am staying in North Goa and hence, I wanted to see if there are alternate routes to hit NH4 rather than go all the way south and through Yellapur while exiting Goa. Because for the onward journey will be taking the Shimoga route as family wants to see Jog falls as well.

Covering Goa is a tedious task. I have done this earlier on two occasions so wanted to explore other routes this time.

1. Hows the route from Ponda to Khanapur, is that via the dreaded NH4A? If so then any alternate routes with ok roads till Khanapur or hitting the NH4 before Hubli from the northern side.
2. 2nd route thought is Mapsua - Sanquelim - Satari - Olamani - Khanapur - NH4, the entire route is on SH31 but interesting Google maps has a broken section before Kankumbi
3. 3rd route is from Mapsua - Santawadi - via Amboli Ghats - Belgaum. I am a little suspect with the road condition here due to the recent monsoons.
If you are planning to stay in North Goa, then plan to come via Amboli, Sawantvadi and Belgaum. It will be fantastic when it rains and you will virtually drive under canopy of water falls. We drove once in 2009 and i can't forget the experience. Since you are planning to come via Belgaum, see if you can take a detour of 30 KMs to Gokak Falls which will be glorious now.

Amboli is not that prone for landslides. Still you can check the road condition before start from the locals.

I don't advise options 1 and 2 as they are all in mining zones.

Most Viewed