Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2013, 21:05   #2191
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I went to pick up a used car(mk2 jetta) from bangalore a month back and came back via chorla ghats following my google maps route. the road conditions were really good.

I happened to stop paying attention to the map and went off route a bit and thats when my clutch cable snapped but was amazingly lucky to find a mechanic 50 meters from the car
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:05   #2192
BHPian

Any suggestions for a nice place for overnight stay while doing Goa-Blr via NH4? I have a trip next weekend to Calangute/North Goa and as of now, the plan is to do NH4-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Calangute onward and return via Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli-NH4.

Onward will be a 4am start so no worries but while returning, wanted to cover some bit on Sunday evening and rest at some place and then continue on Monday morning after a late breakfast. Idea is to avoid a tiring return drive in one stretch and the possibility of evening showers. I would prefer the 4 laned NH4 over the Shimoga route.

Last edited by sv1976 : 23rd May 2013 at 17:08. Reason: formatting
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:33   #2193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Onward will be a 4am start so no worries but while returning, wanted to cover some bit on Sunday evening and rest at some place and then continue on Monday morning after a late breakfast. Idea is to avoid a tiring return drive in one stretch and the possibility of evening showers. I would prefer the 4 laned NH4 over the Shimoga route.
- Start at your use as you said . 8/10 AM after Break fast
- Drive to Gokarna
- Once done come back to Ankola, drive to Hubli by evening.
- Stay at Clarks. (http://www.clarksinn.in/clarks-inn-hubli-overview.html)
Old 24th May 2013, 10:52   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions for a nice place for overnight stay while doing Goa-Blr via NH4? I have a trip next weekend to Calangute/North Goa and as of now, the plan is to do NH4-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Calangute onward and return via Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli-NH4.

Why do you want to take the Amboli route when you have the superb newly laid Chorla route from Belgaum to Goa.

Belgaum-Piranwadi Cross-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa.Superb vistas as well.

On your return,you could either choose to stay at Hubli as suggested by Ampere or else Belgaum (Hotel Eefa,Sanman Deluxe,Sankam Residency all are good)
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 15:07   #2195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Why do you want to take the Amboli route when you have the superb newly laid Chorla route from Belgaum to Goa.

Thanks Ranjit. Will take this route into Goa. For overnight stay, do share if you know any place somewhere in between Ankola & Hubli.
Old 24th May 2013, 15:24   #2196
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Guys,
I'll be leaving to Goa in few hours, a sudden plan for the weekend.

I'll be taking the route suggested by 'ranjitp'. Will be in my Beat D with 2 if my friends.

Any more tips/ things to watch out for?

Will update the route condition once I'm back.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old 24th May 2013, 15:29   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Hi Guys,
I'll be leaving to Goa in few hours, a sudden plan for the weekend.

I'll be taking the route suggested by 'ranjitp'. Will be in my Beat D with 2 if my friends.

Will update the route condition once I'm back.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your inputs.
If you are going to be driving the Jamboti route in darkness I would advise you to be alert as the roads are desolate and you would hardly find any other vehicles on the route.

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit. Will take this route into Goa. For overnight stay, do share if you know any place somewhere in between Ankola & Hubli.
Have replied to your pm.Between Ankola and Hubli there is no place to stay.You can either stay in Hubli or else at Karwar.There is a nice hotel to your right just before the Kali River Bridge while coming from Goa.Emerald Bay Karwar is an excellent place.Single was around 1500 with bf.http://www.sterlingholidays.com/our-...network/karwar

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 24th May 2013 at 15:40.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 16:15   #2198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_aRe_Cee View Post

I happened to stop paying attention to the map and went off route a bit and thats when my clutch cable snapped but was amazingly lucky to find a mechanic 50 meters from the car
Wow... you're lucky to have been able to fix that. Where did it happen. The whole ghat is so lonely. I was lucky that my steering rack got jammed in Goa. Just the thought of it happening on the Chorla ghat at the hour I crossed it, has given me a scare.

Quote:
If you are going to be driving the Jamboti route in darkness I would advise you to be alert as the roads are desolate and you would hardly find any other vehicles on the route.
Ranjitp1
Yes that's good advice. Been there done that and never again will I leave late. It is so lonely on that part of the drive and the tall trees make it quite dark even before the sun has set. Quite unlike on the Amboli Sawantwadi road where I have reached and driven many a time just after sunset. The only plus point on this Jamboti Chorla Sanquelim route is no bus healdlamps into your eyes like on the sawantwadi mapusa road.
Old 24th May 2013, 16:57   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Try to drive a bit slow, the road makes you feel like driving fast(chorla ghats), but there are too many blind turns. noticed 3 seperate accidents on the road the previous time i used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Wow... you're lucky to have been able to fix that. Where did it happen. The whole ghat is so lonely. I was lucky that my steering rack got jammed in Goa. Just the thought of it happening on the Chorla ghat at the hour I crossed it, has given me a scare.
Somewhere just off the NH4 near Belgaum. I was traveling alone and started to panic. I found a guy on the road walking his sheep and asked him where a mechanic is. He pointed behind me
Old 30th May 2013, 01:54   #2200

Hi BHPians,

I am originally from Vasco, Goa. One of the better routes from Vasco to Bangalore is here. The last I traveled was sometime in March 2013. The roads are fantastic.

Left Vasco in the morning at 5:00 AM, reached Belgaum at 8:00, Stopped for Breakfast at Hotel Ramdev for some 30-45 mins, Hit the Highway again, reached Hubli By-Pass around 10:30 AM and touched Bangalore at 2:30 PM in the afternoon.

Places to watch out while driving:

1. Watch out for speeding Tipper Trucks, specially while overtaking and on sharp turns starting from Banastarim upto Chorla Ghat gets over upto Kankumbi.
2. Stretch after Chorla Ghat -> Kankumbi -> Jamboti and Machhe straight, broad roads -> Piranwadi Lots of cattle roadside. Be careful.
3. Once you reach the Highway of course you can cruise along
4. Near Chitradurga there are quiet a few diversions involving braking at high speeds, watch out.

Here is the route:
Vasco -> Chicalim -> Cortalim Junction: Take Left -> Agacaim -> Carambolim Railway Station -> Karmali Station Road -> Banastarim -> Marcela -> Amona Cable Wire Bridge -> Sanquelim -> Chorla Ghat -> Kankumbi -> Jamboti -> Machhe -> Piranwadi -> Udyambag -> At Tilakwadi 3rd Gate cross drive towards Left -> Tilakwadi 2nd Gate continue on straight -> Tilakwadi 1st Gate continue straight on -> Gotge Circle take a Left -> Bogarves Circle take a Left -> Rani Chennamma Statue take a Left -> Hotel Ramdev (Remember to buy Belgaum's Speciality - Kunda, And this place is fantastic for Breakfast and Tea, just loved their Kesri Bath) -> Dharamnath Chowk -> Hit AH 47 -> Dharwad By-Pass -> Hubli By-Pass -> Bankapur -> Haveri -> Ranebennur -> Harihar -> Davangere -> Chitradurga -> Hiriyur -> Sira -> Tumkur -> Bangalore

Even if your located at Panjim, you can take the Ribandar -> Old Goa -> Banastarim and continue from top route.

If your located at Mapusa then Tivim -> Assonora -> Bicholim -> Sanquelim -> Chorla Ghat and continue from top route.

From Margao, there are other routes and I would prefer the Margao -> Cucolim -> Canacona -> Karwar -> Ankola -> Visit Kamat Upachar Hotel for Breakfast -> Yellapur -> Kalghatgi -> Hubli By-Pass -> Bankapur -> Haveri and follow the above route.

Please be very ALERT while driving this stretch from Ankola to Hulbi By-Pass and vice-versa. A Lot of accidents take place on this route since it involves a lot of straight roads and sudden curves.

Safe driving Folks
Scorpion_Vista is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 06:31   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion_Vista View Post
Here is the route:
Vasco -> Chicalim -> Cortalim Junction: Take Left -> Agacaim -> Carambolim Railway Station -> Karmali Station Road -> Banastarim -> Marcela -> Amona Cable Wire Bridge -> Sanquelim -> Chorla Ghat -> Kankumbi -> Jamboti -> Machhe -> Piranwadi -> Udyambag -> At Tilakwadi 3rd Gate cross drive towards Left -> Tilakwadi 2nd Gate continue on straight -> Tilakwadi 1st Gate continue straight on -> Gotge Circle take a Left -> Bogarves Circle take a Left -> Rani Chennamma Statue take a Left -> Hotel Ramdev (Remember to buy Belgaum's Speciality - Kunda
You've gone into quite some detail here. Thanks. 3 months to go for me.
Old 30th May 2013, 13:36   #2202

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
You've gone into quite some detail here. Thanks. 3 months to go for me.
Well vinu_h, Am from Goa, Studied at Belgaum and now working at Bangalore. That's how am aware of most of the routes that involve Belgaum.

From Belgaum to Goa there are many routes:
1. Chorla Ghat - Which is the best route now
2. Anmod Ghat - Which gets messed up with big potholes very soon because of high volume of Tipper Trucks - Mining, Not sure now since mining has taken a hit. So if the road is done up should be a good option.
3. Tilari Ghat - Its private property and the roads are very narrow, Not sure what is the latest condition of roads here.
4. Ambolim Ghat - Very very Scenic, A must visit place if you travelling with family and want have a good peaceful drive.

If least distance and shortest time is the key criteria in reaching from Bangalore to Goa:
1. To Mapusa - Then Chorla is the best option since its closest via Sanquelim, Bicholim and then Mapusa [North Goa]
2. To Margao [Madgaon] - Then Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa is one of the options. However now it seems the Ramnagar-Dharwad road is completed. This is one of the shortest routes from Bangalore-Goa and to Margao[South Goa]
3. To Vasco - Then Chorla or Anmod are better options.

In case you are leaving for Goa from Bangalore, Its best to leave early morning at 4:00 AM. By doing this you would have crossed Sira and will definitely reach Chitradurga by 6:00 or 6:30 AM. Hubli By-Pass by 9:00 to 9:30. Till here the route is proper highway driving in single separate lanes.

- Just before Hubli in case you want to take Sirsi Route you will have to get down from Haveri Highway towards Haveri Bus Stand and then head towards Sirsi Ghat, come out near Kumta, Ankola, Karwar and Goa.
- If not you can continue from Hubli on the Highway through Dharwad upto Belgaum
- If not Alnavar, Ramnagar, Anmod Ghat, Mollem[Goa Border], Tisk, Ponda and Margao. From Tisk-Usgao you have routes that go directly to Panjim and Mapusa too. Check out google Maps and you will understand what am saying.

Continuing from above if you carry on with the Yellapur Ghat route, This takes a lot of time, i mean from Hubli By-Pass to Ankola and do remember to gear up with some drinking water, eats since very few options for the same. You may get some small restaurants at Kalghatgi and Yellapur. After this its proper forest driving lots of Heavy vehicles. Trust me have driven a lot on this route and the Truckers are crazy here specially while they overtake. At night time the Truckers are just Insane !!!

If you take this route you should reach Ankola junction around 11:30AM to 12:00 PM. There is a Kamat Upachar which is a very good restaurant to get refreshed. Head off again towards Karwar, Canacona, Cucolim, Margao Goa and one should reach Margao at 2:00 PM.

The most important point is that when one leaves at 4:00 AM from Goa to Bangalore or vice versa, you will not get heavy traffic like Trucks, Volvo Buses etc. and the drive will be faster and less stressful. However if you are traveling with your family and have time in your hands then there are plenty more options.
Scorpion_Vista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 15:16   #2203
BHPian

@Scorpion: heh man.. do u also know about budget hotels in South Goa.

Have a meeting in Goa tomorrow. It is at Cavelossim Salcete. Will be traveling tonight by volvo. I guess the best place to get off will be Conculim as it comes en-route for the bus while going towards Panjim.

Pls advice the closet hotel to this place if you know.

Cheers
Old 30th May 2013, 16:11   #2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
@Scorpion: heh man.. do u also know about budget hotels in South Goa.

Have a meeting in Goa tomorrow. It is at Cavelossim Salcete. Will be traveling tonight by volvo. I guess the best place to get off will be Conculim as it comes en-route for the bus while going towards Panjim.

Pls advice the closet hotel to this place if you know.

Cheers
Hi pareshraheja,

Well Cuncolim is the closest place to Cavelossim, However if you get down at Margao you should get better hotels, since its a better and bigger place.
My friend does own a Hotel bang on the Colva Circle - Hotel Avenue Goa. If you want i check with him, He may know of some more options for you towards Cuncolim. By the way which Volvo bus are you traveling with? Hope you would be going via Karwar mate
Old 30th May 2013, 16:34   #2205
BHPian

@scorpion- yes man, the bus will go via Karwar. It is Paulo Sleeper Volvo.
have been to Colva on my holiday trip. Nice place but, this time it is purely business and so have to be as close as possible to my meeting place.

As I mentioned earlier, the meeting is at Cavelossim Salcete and bus will pass by Cuncolim so, any hotel between the two will be gr8

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks