Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2013, 16:39   #2311
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Dear Friends,

Planning to go to North Goa (Baga ) in mid October. So what is the best route and how is the road condition ? As per previous post looks like Blr- Hubli- Belgaum-Chorla- Sanquelim-Mapusa-Baga the best and the fastest route to north Goa. Anybody traveled on this route recently ? and how is the road condition ? Please advice

Regards,

HarryB
Old 20th September 2013, 17:07   #2312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
Dear Friends,

Planning to go to North Goa (Baga ) in mid October. So what is the best route and how is the road condition ? As per previous post looks like Blr- Hubli- Belgaum-Chorla- Sanquelim-Mapusa-Baga the best and the fastest route to north Goa. Anybody traveled on this route recently ? and how is the road condition ? Please advice

Regards,

HarryB
I drove a month before during the Aug 15th weekend and I found the stretch pretty much good. Barring a few sections in the ghats which have faced the wrath of rains, this is a good option to reach North Goa.

The Chorla road has very less truck traffic that ensure that only rains can reduce the overall quality in certain sections but otherwise not a road to complain at all.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 00:37   #2313
BHPian

Planning to drive to Goa in a couple of weeks to attend a family function there. Just the three of us: Wife, 3 year old daughter and me!

This would be just the third time I've been there (with the previous two by bus and for 1.5 days only each time)!

Have to get to Saligão (which I assume is somewhere in the North), hence the route via Dharwad - Chorla would be preferable to the Hubli - Ankola - Karwar route (based on recent posts on this thread).

Need to start off on Saturday, 05-Oct-2013 early morning (preferably 04:00) and return on Wednesday, 09-Oct-2013 (to get back to work on Thursday). Any suggestions?

As an alternative and to make the trip more interesting (to family) and to tick off more items on the list, have also thought of an alternative. Go via Jog falls.

This means would start on Friday late afternoon (say 16:00), drive straight to Jog/Shimoga. Spend the night in a hotel there. See the falls on Saturday morning, then take the windy (NH 206?) to Honnavar, then on to NH 17 and head North into Karwar and then South Goa. This way can pay a visit to some close friends' parents at Navelim. Then head north to Saligão. Any idea how this route (Bangalore - Jog and Jog - Karwar) is presently? Worth the effort? Also which is the best Bangalore - Jog route and what are the expected driving times to get there?

Either way plan to return by the fastest route and that would be via Chorla - Dharwad.

Last edited by Glifford : 25th September 2013 at 00:46. Reason: Added line on route to Jog and travel times!
Old 25th September 2013, 08:06   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Have to get to Saligão (which I assume is somewhere in the North).
You are right. It is in North Goa, in between Mapusa and Calangute.
swapnilup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 09:42   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Have to get to Saligão (which I assume is somewhere in the North), hence the route via Dharwad - Chorla would be preferable to the Hubli - Ankola - Karwar route (based on recent posts on this thread).
The Dharwad - Alnavar route would be the fastest route to Goa in the current conditions. I drove on Sep 6th via the Ramnagar - Molem route and you can see details in the below post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3232939
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 20:28   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
The Dharwad - Alnavar route would be the fastest route to Goa in the current conditions. I drove on Sep 6th via the Ramnagar - Molem route and you can see details in the below post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3232939
Thanks Pramod!

Is this the route you are talking of?

Will use it if not going via Jog. And definitely on the return!
Old 26th September 2013, 10:05   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pramod!

. And definitely on the return!

Yes. This is the route. Check out Quinta Da Graca if you have not booked your accommodation yet. Links below

http://www.quintadagracagoa.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...ardez_Goa.html
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 15:43   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pramod!
Will use it if not going via Jog. And definitely on the return!
I have done Alnavar route and Jog route in August. The details can be seen in this thread:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-ertiga.html
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 18:06   #2319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Yes. This is the route. Check out Quinta Da Graca if you have not booked your accommodation yet. Links below

http://www.quintadagracagoa.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...ardez_Goa.html
Wow! Looks so beautiful! Reminds me of our Ancestral home in Mangalore that was sold some years ago :( Actually am attending a Cousin's wedding and her family has supposedly made arrangements. Let me check. If not! This is a great option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
I have done Alnavar route and Jog route in August. The details can be seen in this thread:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-ertiga.html
Thanks Denver! Very very nice post. Exactly the information I was looking for and exactly the route I wanna do (but in reverse)! Will be very useful for me! And from your post I suppose a Bangalore - Shimoga can be done in some 5 hours. Am I right?

Last edited by Glifford : 26th September 2013 at 18:08. Reason: Added Shimoga distance!
Old 26th September 2013, 18:25   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Denver! Very very nice post. Exactly the information I was looking for and exactly the route I wanna do (but in reverse)! Will be very useful for me! And from your post I suppose a Bangalore - Shimoga can be done in some 5 hours. Am I right?
It took 6 hours for me on a Sunday afternoon(Long weekend) from Sagara with heavy traffic from Tumkur till Bangalore. So I hope you will be able to reach Shimoga in 5 hours easily.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 18:42   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
It took 6 hours for me on a Sunday afternoon(Long weekend) from Sagara with heavy traffic from Tumkur till Bangalore. So I hope you will be able to reach Shimoga in 5 hours easily.
Yep! Fingers crossed. Just that if I leave Bangalore around 16:30 in the evening, will be doing half that journey after dusk. So will be a tad slower!
Old 26th September 2013, 20:07   #2322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yep! Fingers crossed. Just that if I leave Bangalore around 16:30 in the evening, will be doing half that journey after dusk. So will be a tad slower!
The Biggest Hurdle is driving till Tumkur and crossing the town via the bypass. Once past, I think its much easier. There is a CCD near Arsekere where you can take a break. By the way where are you starting from ? If its near Whitefield/ KR Puram, I would say take the BIAL road via Devanahalli/Dobaspet/Tumur.

Last edited by ampere : 26th September 2013 at 20:12.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 01:53   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Biggest Hurdle is driving till Tumkur and crossing the town via the bypass. Once past, I think its much easier. There is a CCD near Arsekere where you can take a break. By the way where are you starting from ? If its near Whitefield/ KR Puram, I would say take the BIAL road via Devanahalli/Dobaspet/Tumur.
Hmm! Well I stay in Fraser Town very close to the Bangalore Cantt/East Railway Stations. In that case I guess going out via Yeshwantpur to Nelamangala would be the most obvious choice. Or course Bellary (Airport) road is closer to me than Yelahanka. So would the Dobaspet route make sense?

Also on second thoughts (considering a 5 day trip including 2 driving days) think I should drop the Shimoga/Jog idea completely. If we plan to visit the Lion/Tiger safari we would need for a few hours for it to open. That delays the whole programme and after seeing Jog, we may end up in Goa only late evening/night. If we drop the safari, travelling a night in advance and staying in a hotel just to see Jog (which not be in full fury now) may not be a great idea (or is it a good one?). We'd rather just start at 4:00 on Saturday morning and head straight to Goa. Aim to reach there by lunch. In that way we reach early, take some rest and head out again in the evening sight seeing nearby!

Jog being so close by we can do a dedicated trip again! What say?
Old 27th September 2013, 06:55   #2324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmm! Well I stay in Fraser Town very close to the Bangalore Cantt/East Railway Stations. In that case I guess going out via Yeshwantpur to Nelamangala would be the most obvious choice. Or course Bellary (Airport) road is closer to me than Yelahanka. So would the Dobaspet route make sense?
Surely in that case take the IISc/Yashwantpur/Nelamangala option.

Quote:
Also on second thoughts (considering a 5 day trip including 2 driving days) think I should drop the Shimoga/Jog idea completely. If we plan to visit the Lion/Tiger safari we would need for a few hours for it to open. That delays the whole programme and after seeing Jog, we may end up in Goa only late evening/night. If we drop the safari, travelling a night in advance and staying in a hotel just to see Jog (which not be in full fury now) may not be a great idea (or is it a good one?). We'd rather just start at 4:00 on Saturday morning and head straight to Goa. Aim to reach there by lunch. In that way we reach early, take some rest and head out again in the evening sight seeing nearby!
Makes perfect sense. Drive to Goa directly without a break starting early morning. That way you munch miles fast. Because you can also plan to leave Bangalore early. But you cant start early from your destination. You would rather chose to leave after your break fast. That would easily make it 8-10AM. So during return it make sense to break your journey. So if only Jog is on your mind, try to break some where close to Jog (or Shimoga). Visit to Jog and drive to Shimoga for night and drive to Bangalore the next day.

Quote:
Jog being so close by we can do a dedicated trip again! What say?
A separate weekend drive to Jog is always fun, with it hogging the full attention!

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2013 at 06:57.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 15:34   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
Surely in that case take the IISc/Yashwantpur/Nelamangala option.
Thanks!

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. Drive to Goa directly without a break starting early morning. That way you munch miles fast. Because you can also plan to leave Bangalore early.
That's exactly what I was thinking. But will leave the decision to the home minister. Afterall it is she and my daughter who will be sitting as I enjoy the driving part (she has yet to get used to highway driving). The drive to Jog will be in the dark hence boring for them, plus the next day through the ghats will be a delight for me (I love the curves and accelerating through them), for them it may not be all that enjoyable.

If we go straight, they would be fast asleep for the first half of the journey anyway. So up to them

Quote:
But you cant start early from your destination. You would rather chose to leave after your break fast. That would easily make it 8-10AM. So during return it make sense to break your journey. So if only Jog is on your mind, try to break some where close to Jog (or Shimoga). Visit to Jog and drive to Shimoga for night and drive to Bangalore the next day.
This part is tough as we are constrained on the dates on the return (while we have some flexibility on the onward). The Wedding is on the 8th evening and we have only the 9th to drive back before getting back to work on the 10th! :(

Last edited by Glifford : 27th September 2013 at 15:35. Reason: Added a line!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks