Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 21:14   #2641
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalu View Post
How is the food at KSTDC Mayura Gerusoppa, i believe there is no restaurant and a small canteen caters to the hungry travelers. Rooms are available in the Sharavathi block, i reach on 29 Aug by 4 in the evening and leave by 1000 next morning.
Just FYI - The Bangalore TBhp overnighters will be at JLR Sharavati Adventure cottages to enjoy monsoon and jog falls this august - 23/24. Its new facility and good discounts on rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I am traveling to Goa next month and the destination is Colva. Google maps shows this to be the best route, can the experts please confirm?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dodd...0!5i1?hl=en-US
This seems to be via Anmod. See Fauji's post one page earlier - (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3497635). It should be good to take up.

Last edited by abirnale : 12th August 2014 at 21:18. Reason: Added Info for Dass as well.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:17   #2642
BHPian

Planning to drive down to South Goa this weekend in a Zoom car, would anyone know where the first RTO office is located upon crossing the state border from Karwar? Would need to pay for the State visitor permit since its a commercially registered vehicle
Old 14th August 2014, 12:17   #2643
BHPian

Anyone tried the Bankapur Yellapur stretch recently. I am heading there tomorrow and wanted to check the road condition. My vehicle has decent ground clearance and i am ok with a bit of rough road if this route is scenic. Also in one of the post i see a mention of a Tibetan monastery midway. Anyone has more details like is it worth stopping there? Advance thanks for a speedy response.
Old 18th August 2014, 10:03   #2644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
Anyone tried the Bankapur Yellapur stretch recently. I am heading there tomorrow and wanted to check the road condition. My vehicle has decent ground clearance and i am ok with a bit of rough road if this route is scenic. Also in one of the post i see a mention of a Tibetan monastery midway. Anyone has more details like is it worth stopping there? Advance thanks for a speedy response.
Did this route over the weekend. Very scenic. The first stretch from Bankapur to Mundgod is very average and there are a couple of small stretches where there are no roads. They are motor-able though. Mundgod to Yellapur is a very beautiful road (a bit narrow) but very very scenic. Very sparse traffic and you can maintain speeds of upto 60-65 kmph. There were other cars driving much faster than that but this i thought was a fairly safe speed. It was about 68 kms from Bankapur to Yellapur. This is about 60-70 kms shorter compared to the Hubli route. Good option to explore if you are headed towards Karwar/Goa. There are no good eating options - although i did see some in mundgod but found them a bit shady. Fueling points was one other thing that was almost non-existent except for one that i saw at Mundgod.

Mundgod is a small town with a sizable Tibetan population. Infact i was told that it is the second largest Tibetan area in India after Dharamshala. I did not stop there and cannot comment on how the temples were.
Old 18th August 2014, 10:17   #2645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
We drove on this road two weeks back. Fabulous toll road from Dharwad to Ramnagar and Anmod. Few rough patches at Anmod Ghat at border but easily manageable. Stop for enjoying some beautiful vistas. Look at the picture below. From Anmod to Mollem excellent. From Mollem to varca, the raods are excellent in Goa. Dont have to worry.

Attachment 1270528
I did this in April, on our way to Vellore, and I agree with Fauji. We left Mapusa, Goa at 5 a.m. and were at the beginning of NICE road outside Bangalore at 3 pm. Try and take your own packed lunch and snacks. That way you can stop only for toilet and tea/cofee and don't waste time with slow service for food.
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:53   #2646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
Did this route over the weekend. Very scenic. The first stretch from Bankapur to Mundgod is very average and there are a couple of small stretches where there are no roads. They are motor-able though. Mundgod to Yellapur is a very beautiful road (a bit narrow) but very very scenic. Very sparse traffic and you can maintain speeds of upto 60-65 kmph. There were other cars driving much faster than that but this i thought was a fairly safe speed. It was about 68 kms from Bankapur to Yellapur. This is about 60-70 kms shorter compared to the Hubli route. Good option to explore if you are headed towards Karwar/Goa. There are no good eating options - although i did see some in mundgod but found them a bit shady. Fueling points was one other thing that was almost non-existent except for one that i saw at Mundgod.

Mundgod is a small town with a sizable Tibetan population. Infact i was told that it is the second largest Tibetan area in India after Dharamshala. I did not stop there and cannot comment on how the temples were.
Hi Shiwik, Could you please let me know which car you had travelled in this Mungod route ? Planning to take my Vento. Will it manage the few bad stretches?
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:21   #2647
Senior - BHPian

I was in Goa last weekend.
Return from Goa-Hyderabad.

Palolem -Ankola-Khalghatgi-Tadas-Muthalli-Dabaspete-Devanahalli-Hyderabad.

Khalghatgi-Tadas-Muthalli.

The initial stretch from Khalghatgi-Tadas is single road.
In good condition single road.Speedbreakers every 3-4kms.Not an issue.

Tadas-Muthalli
Very short stretch but road condition is very average.Potholes are there but manageble.

Last edited by gajadonga : 22nd August 2014 at 11:23.
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:37   #2648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Palolem -Ankola-Khalghatgi-Tadas-Muthalli-Dabaspete-Devanahalli-Hyderabad.
Thats a HUGE roundabout. Isn't it? Any reasons for the same? I thought Chorla-Belgaum-Bagalkot-Raichur would have been ideal. And good to decent roads are good all the way.
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:23   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshkumartj View Post
Hi Shiwik, Could you please let me know which car you had travelled in this Mungod route ? Planning to take my Vento. Will it manage the few bad stretches?
I drive the new Aria.
Vento should peacefully do it. You speeds may be a little slower for the first 15-kms but should be good beyond that.

Going via Hubli is another 60-70 kms additional.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:43   #2650
BHPian

Guys, I need help on the route from Bangalore to Goa, I intend to stay at Royal Goan Beach Club at Haathi Mahal, Near Cavelossim Beach, Salcete, Mobor, Cavelossim, GA 403731
south Goa, let me know the best route to that place from Bangalore
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:46   #2651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
The Bold part simply tells me that you should take the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar Road to reach your destination.
speedsatya returned via this route last weekend and reports the condition of the road as excellent to good all the way.
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:57   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
Guys, I need help on the route from Bangalore to Goa, I intend to stay at Royal Goan Beach Club at Haathi Mahal, Near Cavelossim Beach, Salcete, Mobor, Cavelossim, GA 403731
As paragsachania rightly advised, the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar road is always recommended to motorists from Bangalore intending to stay in South Goa.
For Haathi Mahal at Cavelossin, you need not touch Madgao as is normally done.
About 7 Kms before Madgao, you will come across a junction with board BETUL towards the left side. Take a left turn at that junction and you will reach chinchinim church junction( about a km down). Take a right there and follow the road. after about 4 -5 Kms you will come at the Varca - cavelossim road. take left here and about 3 Kms from here is Haathi Mahal.

The normal Madgao route will be longer by say around 10-12 Kms

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ch...3.945!2d15.174
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:30   #2653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats a HUGE roundabout. Isn't it? Any reasons for the same? I thought Chorla-Belgaum-Bagalkot-Raichur would have been ideal. And good to decent roads are good all the way.

Onwards was via Raichur-Koppal-Hubli-Karwar.
the roads are good throughout.
The stretch from Raichur to Gangawathi is average.

Always wanted to drive Chitradurga-Tumkur 6 lane.
that was the itch for the detour.
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:33   #2654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Always wanted to drive Chitradurga-Tumkur 6 lane.
that was the itch for the detour.
!

What a reason!
But of course its a beauty to drive !

PS : I know this post does not carry any weight and actually I should not have posted. But I just could not stop myself!
Now thats what a true LTD means!

Last edited by ampere : 22nd August 2014 at 22:36.
Old 23rd August 2014, 01:06   #2655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Planning to drive down to South Goa this weekend in a Zoom car, would anyone know where the first RTO office is located upon crossing the state border from Karwar? ...
I would be doing this route in a few weeks time in a Zoom car.
Appreciate if you could let me know if you used this route? Where was the RTO office?
How long did it take to pay the permit charge and how much?

Most Viewed