Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 17:30   #2731
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Perfectly valid plan. Can be executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Will be driving from Blr to Hubli, planning stay at Hubli for the night. Cannot start too early from Blr home, has never been possible ;-) . I have a Punto petrol to drive. Will be driving with wife & kid 4.5 yr old.
Want to go to goa (south), which is the best route. And then later will head towards pune from south goa, which again is the best route.

26-Sep-14 Blr to Hubli Hubli Clarks Inn, any other hotel?
27-Sep-14 Hubli - Goa Goa Planning to take SH63 to South Goa, how much more time will it take? Or should I take belgaum - chorla?
If you start by 4AM, you can make it to Goa by 3PM easily. (Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa). Hope you are comfortable to drive for about 10-11 hours.

Quote:
30-Sep-14 Goa - Pune Which route is the best from south Goa?
Take the Chorla-Jambotti-Belgaum-Pune road.

Quote:
1-Oct-14 Pune Local
2-Oct-14 Pune Shirdi May skip driving, take a tour or a cab
You can take a cab. Roads around Shirdi are broken and patchy.

Quote:
3-Oct-14 Pune Lonavala
4-Oct-14 Pune - Hubli Hubli Clarks Inn, any other hotel?
5-Oct-14 Hubli - BLR Return

Clarks is the best in town. (There is a Taj of course!)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 19:52   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you start by 4AM, you can make it to Goa by 3PM easily. (Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa). Hope you are comfortable to drive for about 10-11 hours.

I am planning to halt at hubli while coming from Bangalore as well, so have kept aside another day.

Thanks Ampere for the prompt reply. Appreciate it.
Old 21st September 2014, 20:01   #2733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
I am planning to halt at hubli while coming from Bangalore as well, so have kept aside another day.

Thanks Ampere for the prompt reply. Appreciate it.
Actually when you are going towards Goa you can easily make it the same day. Thats because you can start very early say 4AM. But while coming back it typically never happens as you start leisurely after breakfast. So while coming back it makes perfect sense to break in between. May be you can visit Gokarna on the way and drive to Hubli and stay for the night.
Old 22nd September 2014, 01:09   #2734

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wow! Did not know Dharwad-Ramnagar is a tolled road! Great update. Thanks. Typically the Ponda ghat is not all that great, but just about OK.
I intend to ride my bike from Bangalore to Goa and wanted to take this route from Dharwad to Ramnagar onto Anmod, Mollem, Ponda. How good is this road stretch? Is this doable on a bike? How much time should I factor in from Dharward to Ramnagar and from Ramnagar to Mollem?
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:19   #2735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlrGuy View Post
I intend to ride my bike from Bangalore to Goa and wanted to take this route from Dharwad to Ramnagar onto Anmod, Mollem, Ponda. How good is this road stretch? Is this doable on a bike? How much time should I factor in from Dharward to Ramnagar and from Ramnagar to Mollem?
Its about 120km to Ponda from Dharwad bypass exit to Alnavar. The first 60km to Ram Nagar should be quite fast as its a newly tarred road. The next 60-70 should be through ghats. I would say budget about 3/3.5 hours total.
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:54   #2736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Thanks, but I think I'm gonna go ahead with the Mundgod-Yellapura stretch for the scenery it promises to offer.
Drove through this on Saturday the 20th. The timelog goes like this:
10am- Depart Bangalore, Whitefield.
11.30am- Left AAB, Thanisandra road junction.
3.00pm- Turnoff at Haveri towards Mundgod.
6.00pm- Turnoff at Yellapura
7.30pm- Reached Destination at Makara Village Resort, Kumta.

The above time includes 45mts breakfast break at AAB, 1hr lunch break at Apoorva Resort, 30mts nature break and 1.15 hrs sightseeing break at Mundgod.

I hope this gives a fair bit of idea of whether this saves times over going all the way up to Hubli as I have never been through that.

Now, I intend to stop at Murudeshwar on the way back. Need help here. Please suggest the best route to get back to Bangalore from Murudeshwar.
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:32   #2737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, I intend to stop at Murudeshwar on the way back. Need help here. Please suggest the best route to get back to Bangalore from Murudeshwar.

The standard 206 is the best. Murdeshwar-Honnavar-Jog-Sagar-Shimoga-(either Chitradurga or Arsikere)-Tumkur-Bangalore.

Dont even think about coming via Agumbe or Shiradi/Charmadi! Because you need to cross Bhatkal on NH17 which is pathetic.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd September 2014 at 07:39.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:42   #2738
Senior - BHPian

Are there any entry taxes to be paid for private vehicles when we enter Goa? If yes, what is the amount to be paid and will they issue a receipt for the same?
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:30   #2739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Are there any entry taxes to be paid for private vehicles when we enter Goa? If yes, what is the amount to be paid and will they issue a receipt for the same?
Yes, for cars it is Rs 250. There are no paper work related to this (like for taxi's), you just need to pay the amount at a toll booth located at every entry to Goa state.

Edit: Yes, they issue a receipt. It is similar to any toll receipts.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:18   #2740

Hi, I am leaving for south Goa (Cavelossim beach) on Sep 28 and wanted to know your view of the road condition from Haveri to Mundgod to Yellapur. Earlier some BHPians have mentioned that road via Mundgod isn't good. I am driving the Civic. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Drove through this on Saturday the 20th. The timelog goes like this:
===========
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:43   #2741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
Hi, I am leaving for south Goa (Cavelossim beach) on Sep 28 and wanted to know your view of the road condition from Haveri to Mundgod to Yellapur. Earlier some BHPians have mentioned that road via Mundgod isn't good. I am driving the Civic. Thanks for your help.
With a Civic, I wouldn't recommend taking this route. Until Mundgod, there are few diversions owing to culvert repairs, and they are really uneven. Beyond Mundgod, it's a single lane narrow road that requires some skills to dodge the oncoming traffic, which try to push you out of the road as the sides are uneven, slushy and tall at places.

Better to stick to Hubli-Yellapur. Even the Yellapur-Gokarna stretch is showing signs of bearing the brunt of the rains, as I wouldn't exactly call them pristine. Still good.

This is purely considering you drive a low GC car. Hope this helps.:thumbup:
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:57   #2742

Thanks for your prompt response. Will stick to the Hubli - Yellapur route.

Quote:
With a Civic, I wouldn't recommend taking this route. Until Mundgod, there are few diversions owing to culvert repairs, and they are really uneven. Beyond Mundgod, it's a single lane narrow road that requires some skills to dodge the oncoming traffic, which try to push you out of the road as the sides are uneven, slushy and tall at places.

Better to stick to Hubli-Yellapur. Even the Yellapur-Gokarna stretch is showing signs of bearing the brunt of the rains, as I wouldn't exactly call them pristine. Still good.

This is purely considering you drive a low GC car. Hope this helps.:thumbup:
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:43   #2743
Senior - BHPian

I intend to take Hubli - Yellapur route to Goa. Starting from Marathahalli, Bangalore at 4:30 AM. What are the food options I have on this route, especially lunch?

Based on an earlier post by Ampere, I think I can have breakfast at the A2B in Ranebennur.
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:46   #2744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Based on an earlier post by Ampere, I think I can have breakfast at the A2B in Ranebennur.
I call this route the Kamat route!

BF: Ranebennur Kamat:
Lunch: Ankola Kamat. To reach this Kamat, please note once you hit NH17 from NH63 (Ankola bypass), you need to drive towards Ankola (and not Karwar). Its about 2km from this junction.

But if you want a non-veg option, you need to drive another 30km to Karwar. Amruth is the place.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 12:49   #2745
BHPian

I have been reading through this thread of very helpful suggestions, and am a tad bit confused now about a possibility of a better route than the route that I have always taken - which is - Tumkur, bypass out of Hubli, Ramnagar, Anmod, Molem, Ponda, via Panjim to Vagator.

I realize we, individually, always end up taking the route we know best, and therefore are not aware of what's going on elsewhere!

Please, someone advice me, if the above route is the best, or there is a better (faster/smoother) route from Bangalore to Goa (Vagator).

FYI: I am driving a Scorpio, and I will be driving with my family that consists of a 2 year old child next week.

Most Viewed