Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 13:00   #2746
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajshreeM View Post
I have been reading through this thread of very helpful suggestions, and am a tad bit confused now about a possibility of a better route than the route that I have always taken - which is - Tumkur, bypass out of Hubli, Ramnagar, Anmod, Molem, Ponda, via Panjim to Vagator.
Take the road via Belgaum-Chorla. Much better and faster too (since you head to Vagator).

Hubli-Belgaum-Jambotti-Chorla-Mapusa-Vagator
Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 13:38   #2747
BHPian

Thanks Amp for your suggestion. Can you please tell me what makes this route better/faster than the other?
Google shows this route to be about 18 km longer than the default - which should take about 30 min longer.
Old 24th September 2014, 16:40   #2748
BHPian

Much better and faster too

Thanks Amp for your suggestion. Can you please tell me what makes this route better/faster than the other?
Google shows this route to be about 18 km longer than the default - which should take about 30 min longer.
Old 28th September 2014, 12:41   #2749
BHPian

Hi,

I have to drive to Goa (Dona Paula), from Bangalore.
Travelling with family (wife and small kid) and driving myself.

What is the best route.

Condition of roads needs to be good so as to avoid any fatigue (single driver)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 28th September 2014, 13:19   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Hi,

I have to drive to Goa (Dona Paula), from Bangalore.
Travelling with family (wife and small kid) and driving myself.

What is the best route.

Condition of roads needs to be good so as to avoid any fatigue (single driver)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Bangalore-Hubli-Alnavar-Khanapur-Chorla-Mapusa-NH17-Panjim-Dona Paula
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 16:56   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Bangalore-Hubli-Alnavar-Khanapur-Chorla-Mapusa-NH17-Panjim-Dona Paula
is the road conditions better than Hubli-Belgaum-Jambotti-Chorla-Mapusa (as suggested by ampere) ?
Old 28th September 2014, 17:57   #2752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
is the road conditions better than Hubli-Belgaum-Jambotti-Chorla-Mapusa (as suggested by ampere) ?
There is no need to go to Belgaum and then back pedal through Belgaum town roads to Chorla.You can take the SH34 from Dharwad towards Alnavar Khanapur and turn right at Londa and go towards Khanapur.Some small patches maybe rough but nothing major to worry.

https://goo.gl/maps/5BpWd
Old 28th September 2014, 18:37   #2753
BHPian

The difference in distance is only 18 kilometers (route vial belgaum is longer by 18 KM according to maps). Not a deal breaker for me, but road condition is surely a deal breaker.

Please let me know if the roads via belgaum is better in condition.

Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 19:12   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I call this route the Kamat route!

BF: Ranebennur Kamat:
Lunch: Ankola Kamat. To reach this Kamat, please note once you hit NH17 from NH63 (Ankola bypass), you need to drive towards Ankola (and not Karwar). Its about 2km from this junction.
ampere and others, thanks for all your great suggestions on this thread.
I'm planning to drive to Varca on Saturday. So, need some confirmations and additional inputs.

1. I suppose Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola route is the best one for this destination (Varca).

2. I better take the route via Hubli than taking the short cut via Mundgod. Is this a correct assumption? I assume this is because the road conditions via Mundgod is not good. Please confirm.

3. Apart from the Kamats mentioned above, what are the other food options on this route, in case we miss them or don't hit these places at the right time?

4 Being a first timer on this route (to Goa itself) anything that I should be aware of with respect to road conditions, traffic patterns, places/stretches to watch out?

5. Are there speed interceptors anywhere on this route, especially on the 4-lane Hubli stretch?

Regards
Rex
Old 28th September 2014, 19:31   #2755
Senior - BHPian

I drove to Goa last week... here are the latest updates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
1. I suppose Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola route is the best one for this destination (Varca).
Not really. Go via Hubli (bypass) - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Molem - Ponda - Borim - Madgaon. This is shorter by ~50 km. If you are in mood for some scenic country driving, you can also take the unconventional route via Kulem-Curchorem.

Quote:
2. I better take the route via Hubli than taking the short cut via Mundgod. Is this a correct assumption? I assume this is because the road conditions via Mundgod is not good. Please confirm.
Correct

Quote:
3. Apart from the Kamats mentioned above, what are the other food options on this route, in case we miss them or don't hit these places at the right time?
There are Kamat's at Dobbaspete, Sira, Ranebennur, Varur (before Hubli). Other than these, not a whole lot of options.

Quote:
4 Being a first timer on this route (to Goa itself) anything that I should be aware of with respect to road conditions, traffic patterns, places/stretches to watch out?
Nothing much. Just be ready to shell out INR 250 as an "entry fee" to Goa! I found this utterly ridiculous and unjustified!

Quote:
5. Are there speed interceptors anywhere on this route, especially on the 4-lane Hubli stretch?
Nope! But I would recommend being under 100 kmph in view of the occasional cattle/2-wheelers crossing the road or coming the wrong way.

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th September 2014 at 19:36.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 20:46   #2756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajshreeM View Post
Better roads to put it simply. You get 4-lane till Belgaum and from there on, to Goa via Chorla the road is perfect. That in itself is a big reason.

Quote:
ampere and others, thanks for all your great suggestions on this thread.
I'm planning to drive to Varca on Saturday. So, need some confirmations and additional inputs.
Cool_dube has answered all your questions. I would suggest the Ankola option if you need good roads. And it has less ghat like roads. If you go via Alnavar, then you have toll road till Alnavar and then decent to rough roads. But surely more ghats per road.
Old 28th September 2014, 21:53   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Better roads to put it simply. You get 4-lane till Belgaum and from there on, to Goa via Chorla the road is perfect. That in itself is a big reason.
This has thrown up four options:

1. Haveri-Hubli-Begaum-Chorla-Varca : 648 kms (no ghats ?)
2. Haveri-Hubli-Alanavar-Mollem-Cavorim-Varca: 587 kms (ghat roads)
3. Haveri-Hubli (Hubli bye pass, not via Mundgod)-Yellapur-Karvar-Varca: 643 kms
4. Haveri-Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur-Karvar-Varca: 593kms

I see that option 1 and 3 are almost similar distances and I assume both do not have ghat sections, but have good roads. Which is the better option?

Regards
Rex
Old 28th September 2014, 23:24   #2758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This has thrown up four options:

1. Haveri-Hubli-Begaum-Chorla-Varca : 648 kms (no ghats ?)
2. Haveri-Hubli-Alanavar-Mollem-Cavorim-Varca: 587 kms (ghat roads)
3. Haveri-Hubli (Hubli bye pass, not via Mundgod)-Yellapur-Karvar-Varca: 643 kms
4. Haveri-Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur-Karvar-Varca: 593kms

I see that option 1 and 3 are almost similar distances and I assume both do not have ghat sections, but have good roads. Which is the better option?

Regards
Rex
No I meant the difference as an answer to Rajshree's post. Varca is south Goa. So Chorla does not make sense. For south Goa the best road condition is Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. Even this road goes through ghats. But the roads are so good that you wont feel the ghats at all.

But now the Dharwad-Alnavar road is very good. But there one its lots of twisty roads.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 12:40   #2759

Can anyone suggest the best route to GOA..
Old 29th September 2014, 12:49   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
No I meant the difference as an answer to Rajshree's post. Varca is south Goa. So Chorla does not make sense. For south Goa the best road condition is Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. Even this road goes through ghats. But the roads are so good that you wont feel the ghats at all.

But now the Dharwad-Alnavar road is very good. But there one its lots of twisty roads.
Ampere, your routes have always helped a lot. For me especially in case of pondicherry. Am travelling to Candolim on 2nd Oct. Shall I take Belgaum-Chorla or you suggest via Karwar? Starting at 5 from bangalore with car full of adults and kids.

Last edited by Sanjubose : 29th September 2014 at 13:01. Reason: oversight

Most Viewed