Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2014, 11:26   #2806
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You should then do : Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwat-Goa.
Had done this route two years back (on a Wagon R). What we did was to have a halt at Jog Falls. Many of us may not know this. There are some small little cottages (managed by Karnataka tourism) at Jog Falls. This is very close to the view point where people crowd up to see the water falls at the opposite mountain. These do not cost a fortune and can be reserved in advance. Do NOT expect 5 star luxury here, it would be those typical "Dak Bungalow"/"Inspection Bungalow" style cottages. But imagine staying at this place - silent evening, ambient lighting, no crowds, only a few other tourists and the canteen staff. And the noise of the water falls coming from far away!

On this route after Jog Falls there is also a view point from where we can see a huge lake/reservoir. This should be on the ghat section before we reach Honnavar.
Old 10th October 2014, 11:47   #2807
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
On this route after Jog Falls there is also a view point from where we can see a huge lake/reservoir. This should be on the ghat section before we reach Honnavar.
I think thats the Sharavathy river view point. Now I am told there is a JLR property coming up there. (Hope you are referring to the same point).
Old 10th October 2014, 11:56   #2808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think thats the Sharavathy river view point. Now I am told there is a JLR property coming up there. (Hope you are referring to the same point).
This one.. let me try to remember.
1. It is after Jog Falls, you hit the small winding road towards the ghats.
2. At one point (on the hilly road) you see a small turret/tower kind of setup on the road side.
3. Climb on this tower/turret to see a beautiful water body below. For me it looked huge and more like a lake (did not know if this was a river).
4. With a turret/tower etc., I guess this a known view point - so google maps etc. may have this.
Old 10th October 2014, 18:47   #2809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
4. With a turret/tower etc., I guess this a known view point - so google maps etc. may have this.
Here you go...
Old 11th October 2014, 13:24   #2810
BHPian

Finished the goa trip during the long weekend. Drove through belgaum->Chorla ->Mapusa -> Candolim. 12 hours including 3 small breaks and 1 hour search for saffron restaurant, as Santosh suggested, but ended up eating at Rasoi. Near perfect drive and roads. Winding roads at chorla are good but could induce sickness for some prone to it.
While returning, I took Mapusa->Samantwadi->Amboli ghats->Belgaum route. Again searched for Saffron and found this time only to be told that waiting will take 30 mins. The navigator took us to Sankam Residency Hotel when typed Sankam restaurant. Had to eat lunch in the hotel restaurant as it was raining heavily. Return was amidst the severe rains throughout. Took 12 hours with 1 break and 1 lunch. The amboli ghat roads are bad though ghat section is only 16 kms. Did hubli-> Bangalore in 5 flat hours amidst the rains. Thanks to Jetta's suspension and braking confidence.

Many thanks to Ampere and Santosh.
Old 14th October 2014, 16:37   #2811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Am staying at Palolem now and plan to start tomorrow to Bangalore. Where should I tank up (diesel)? Have about quarter tank of diesel left. There is an HP bunk near by enroute Margao. Anything else on the way to karwar?
This info may not be useful to you, gelnmz. Still mentioning here so that somebody may find it useful. The last point for you to fill up before leaving Goa is an HP station just after the Entry Fee booth, while driving towards Karwar. I filled from this place during onward and return journey.

58.13 Rs per Litre for Petrol was a really nice thing to see :-)

Regards
Rex
Old 14th October 2014, 16:40   #2812
BHPian

There's one just after you cross Goa toll booth before Karwar, and diesel price is almost the same as KA. After that it's Karwar town or near Ankola I guess.
Old 14th October 2014, 16:55   #2813
BHPian

Came back on 8th from our Goa trip. Did Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Varca-Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli-Bangalore route. Roads are pretty good all through, except for a short stretch after Yellapur. As all of us know, roads inside Goa are narrow, including NH-17, so you end up taking more time covering short distances.

We missed the turn to Karwar after the Hubli toll booth. The turn is kind of not marked very well. So, need to watch out for this.

Had breakfast at Ranebennur Kamat, lunch from Udupi Cafe near Karwar after the Warship Museum, on NH-17. During the return trip, had lunch from Hubli Kamat (10-15 kms after the Hubli toll booth and round-about).

Driving in Goa is a pleasure, except on NH-17 (due to heavy traffic). Nice greenery, roads running through villages, people are generally very friendly. We landed up in a village in the night, looking for a restaurant. Few ladies praying in a Chapel invited us in and helped us. I was impressed by their visitor-friendliness.

Most part of Goa, especially towards beach side, people appear to be living around the tourist seasons. You can see otherwise badly maintained properties getting tidied up for the upcoming season. Houses appear to be getting converted to restaurants and tourist accommodations during the season.

Day time was very very hot and humid, except during two evenings when it rained.

This was our first trip and I'm impressed. Looking forward to the next visit to Goa.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 11:19   #2814

Please can someone help me on the road conditions from Dharward to Varca beach (From DWR-Alnavar-Londa-Goa), I am going to travel from Bangalore, wanted to take the above route. Please suggest.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:23   #2815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Please can someone help me on the road conditions from Dharward to Varca beach (From DWR-Alnavar-Londa-Goa), I am going to travel from Bangalore, wanted to take the above route. Please suggest.
The Alnavar road is a very good road. Newly relaid. Its actually a tolled road now! Beyond Londa the road is average. Decent road but has rough edges here and there. Nothing to worry as such.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 12:08   #2816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post

We missed the turn to Karwar after the Hubli toll booth. The turn is kind of not marked very well. So, need to watch out for this.
To everyone that is travelling in the above route, it is always better to ask the Toll operators at the hubli bypass for the Karwar exit. When you are travelling from Hubli to Karwar, after this by pass toll (Rs.30 for Karwar exit IIRC) the exit is on your left after about 2kms. It is not marked untill you actually exit the road. You will pass through one more toll, where you just have to show the receipt and proceed further ahaed, I think its a left for Karwar and this is marked.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:59   #2817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
It is not marked untill you actually exit the road. You will pass through one more toll, where you just have to show the receipt and proceed further ahaed, I think its a left for Karwar and this is marked.
From what I can recall, it is indeed marked with 2 destinations - PANAJI and KARWAR on a green signage.
Old 17th October 2014, 14:34   #2818
BHPian

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...b0107277527d61

Returning to BLR from Majorda, Goa. This is the GPS track from Karwar-BLR. 491kms, 6.15hrs
Old 17th October 2014, 15:06   #2819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...b0107277527d61

Returning to BLR from Majorda, Goa. This is the GPS track from Karwar-BLR. 491kms, 6.15hrs
Wow!!!

I did not know that the return drive from a Goa holiday burns 3,059 kcal which is more than 30 years of daily 45 minutes morning walk @ 5.5 kmph (burns only 275 calories per day).
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-capture.jpg
Just joking.

Sorry, could not resist.
Old 17th October 2014, 15:23   #2820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
From what I can recall, it is indeed marked with 2 destinations - PANAJI and KARWAR on a green signage.
It is marked, but very easy to miss as its not very clear. Fail proof option is to check with the toll operators

Most Viewed