Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 10:34   #2836
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi all,

I just returned yesterday from my Goa trip. I took the Bangalore-Dharwad-Alnawar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem road both ways. The road is newly laid and in very good condition up to Ramnagar. The Ramnagar-Mollem road (about 30kms) is bad with frequent potholes. You can hit speeds of 80kmph in between but have to really slowdown to tackle the next pothole. The condition of road had degraded marginally on my return trip due the heavy rains in the past few days. But you can still safely consider this route if you are visiting south Goa.

About Kamat@Ranebennur: It is in A1-plaza on the left side while going towards Dharwad. Google-maps location on the right side is misleading.

Regards,
Prasad
Old 27th October 2014, 12:55   #2837
BHPian

Hi People,

I am planning a trip to Goa this weekend. The plan is a little fluid so it can be changed. This is what I have been thinking of doing:

Option 1:

Leave on Thursday evening and drive the following route:

Bangalore --> Chitradurga --> Hubli --> Karwar --> Baga

Depending on what time we can leave, take a break for the night in Chitradurga or Hubli.

Option 2:

Leave on Friday morning, same route and drive all day to Baga

What do you guys think of the two different options? I would prefer the first one as it will allow us to get to Goa by lunch time on Friday, relax and be ready to party Friday night. Any suggestions on neat, clean and in-expensvie places we can kip for the night in both Hubli and Chitradurga?

What about the route? any better options available?

Thanks and Cheers

imp
Old 27th October 2014, 18:25   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hi People,

I am planning a trip to Goa this weekend. The plan is a little fluid so it can be changed. This is what I have been thinking of doing:

What about the route? any better options available?
If you are going to Baga, I think you should reconsider your route. Please consider Bangalore-Dharwad-Alnawar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem route taken by Mr. pnredkar yesterday. simple reason. there is a cyclone Nilofar brewing in arabian sea and the whole coast will experience severe rainfall in the next few days. whilst the Dharward-Alnawar route is fairly insulated from this rainfall to a certain extent as you will be entering Goa from east to west rather than travelling all along the coast from south to north along the Karwar road through heavy rains

Next the roads after entering Goa from Karwar side, is narrow and all the way to Baga it is over 100+kms which could wear you down with constant traffic / narrow roads (difficult to overtake). the other route through Alnavar-Ramnagar or Belgaum-Chorla will keep you longer on NH4 and lesser in Goan roads and less tiring to that extent.

You could also consider the Belgaum-Jambooti-Chorla-Sanquelim route.

The above recommendations are only if you are travelling to north Goa that is Baga-Anjuna... For south Goa like Varca or Mobor, the Karwar route is still the preferred route.

I am driving alone in a couple of hours from now from Bangalore to Goa. Any body planning to hitch a ride can ping me within the next 2 hours. I am driving to Vasco, and I will decide between Karwar or Ramnagar route as it comes (rain / weather factors while I reach Dharwad).

Last edited by ashkamath : 27th October 2014 at 18:33.
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 07:13   #2839

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

The above recommendations are only if you are travelling to north Goa that is Baga-Anjuna... For south Goa like Varca or Mobor, the Karwar route is still the preferred route.
I took the Bangalore-Hubli-Belgaum(stop at Sankam for breakfast)-Jambotti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-Baga route and returned the same way over the weekend of 23-26/Oct. Good roads all the way, though the surfaces are a bit rough for the first 10 kms within Goa side of the ghats.
Inclusive a total rest/food stoppage of about 90 minutes both ways, I did the distance in 11.5 hours of which the 127 kms from Baga-Belgaum took 3.5 hours.
It was raining pretty heavily through most of the weekend at Baga. Some of the inner roads as you get closer to Baga are pot-holed.
On the return I had light to medium rains all the way from Baga to Belgaum. The drive through Chorla ghats was pretty easy and safe - just stay at a safe speed even when sorely tempted to speed up.
abtom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 10:15   #2840
BHPian

Quote:

there is a cyclone Nilofar brewing in arabian sea and the whole coast will experience severe rainfall in the next few days. whilst the Dharward-Alnawar route is fairly insulated from this rainfall to a certain extent as you will be entering Goa from east to west rather than travelling all along the coast from south to north along the Karwar road through heavy rains

Thanks ashkamath! completely forgot about the hurricane. Not the best of times to visit goa I guess, but our plans are set and the beach and beer beckon! (or atleast the shacks and beer, given the weather!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtom View Post
I took the Bangalore-Hubli-Belgaum(stop at Sankam for breakfast)-Jambotti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-Baga route and returned the same way over the weekend of 23-26/Oct. Good roads all the way, though the surfaces are a bit rough for the first 10 kms within Goa side of the ghats.
Inclusive a total rest/food stoppage of about 90 minutes both ways, I did the distance in 11.5 hours of which the 127 kms from Baga-Belgaum took 3.5 hours.
It was raining pretty heavily through most of the weekend at Baga. Some of the inner roads as you get closer to Baga are pot-holed.
On the return I had light to medium rains all the way from Baga to Belgaum. The drive through Chorla ghats was pretty easy and safe - just stay at a safe speed even when sorely tempted to speed up.
Thanks for the detailed info abtom, will decide between the two routes and hope for some decent weather in Goa. How did Baga Belgaum take so much time though? Any idea about the road conditions around Ponda ?
Old 28th October 2014, 14:08   #2841
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Even I am keeping an eye out for news regarding cyclone. However hope it looses steam on crossing over to land by this Friday.

The movement as per satellite image gives hope.
Old 29th October 2014, 11:24   #2842

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info abtom, will decide between the two routes and hope for some decent weather in Goa. How did Baga Belgaum take so much time though? Any idea about the road conditions around Ponda ?
Made a few navigation errors both around Baga and within Belgaum which cost me a few minutes, traffic in Belgaum and a sedate speed on the ghats because of the rains and mist in some sections added to the time.

Sorry no idea about Ponda!
abtom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 18:51   #2843
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ashkamath! completely forgot about the hurricane. Not the best of times to visit goa I guess, but our plans are set and the beach and beer beckon! (or atleast the shacks and beer, given the weather!)
Guys I drove back to Goa from Bangalore. As I had posted earlier in this thread, I started from Bangalore day before yesterday at 22:00 hours (10 PM night). It was drizzling and then there was a very heavy downpour between Nelamangala and Tumkur. After Tumkur, the rain tapered down and after Sirsi there was no rain except for some occasional light drizzle.

As the weather was good I decided to take my usual Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar route and the weather was just perfect. there was some heavy fog between Kalghatgi and Yellapur and light fog some distance down towards Ankola. But no rain and perfect driving conditions.

The yellapur road has been patched up of what ever small potholes there were earlier and it is a breeze. I reached home at Vasco yesterday morning (28th October)at about 09:00 hours (11 hours total time on road).

The weather is good here, sunny and humid, lots of tourists ( I see hundreds of Gujarat registered vehicles here in Goa since yesterday. I think tens of thousands of Gujaratis ( may be more) are visiting Goa all of sudden and you see only GJ vehicles on road

I understand the cyclone Nilofar has passed Goa and weather is absolutely fantastic. I was at Baga yesterday and also today on work and all shacks are open and doing roaring business and beach and beer was never so good.

I am sorry to have created the scare of Nilofar cyclone in this thread. It was just a hunch ( as there was heavy rainfall in Goa last week coupled with a couple of earthquakes). But all is good now .

And regarding Ponda, roads are good around Ponda, (If you meant the temple visits like Ramnathi or Shantadurga in Farmagudi area)

Last edited by ashkamath : 29th October 2014 at 19:08.
ashkamath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 20:37   #2844

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the latest road conditions for goa from bangalore via dharward - anmod - mollem - varca?
Old 10th November 2014, 11:34   #2845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the latest road conditions for goa from bangalore via dharward - anmod - mollem - varca?
Just got back from Goa. If going to North Goa, the best route to take IMO is via Belgaum. The route from Dharwad has deteriorated quite a bit.
Old 12th November 2014, 14:24   #2846
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Candolim - Bangalore with a one week stay in Candolim last week.

Onward journey was on Nov 1, started from JP Nagar around 04.30 AM. With a one hour breakfast stop at Rannebannur Kamat (Reliance A1 Plaza), reached Sankum residency - Belgaum at 11.45 PM.

Another one hour stop and started towards Jambotti, however due to Kannada Rajyotsava celebrations roads there was traffic deviations inside the city. Lost around 40 mins roaming around the city. Took Jambotti - Chorla - Mapusa - NH 17 - Candolim route. Reached Candolim around 03. 30 PM.

Road condition is good throughout, this was my first drive through Chorla. Last year had gone to Candolim through Ramnagar - Mollem - Ponda route. Felt that Chorla ghat section had narrow roads compared to Mollem route, however due to less traffic there was no issues.

Roads inside Goa, especially around Calangute & Baga area is in bad shape. Saw some underground pipeline / drainage work also going on, this could be one of the reasons.

Had a chance encounter with D-Tbhpian paragsachania during breakfast break during onward journey. Got to know that Ramnagar - Mollem route is doable since bad sections are limited only to few KM's, hence decided to take this route during return trip.

However had to drop that plan since return journey got delayed. If taking Ramnagar route the first hotel for lunch break will be again Rannebannur Kamat. Hence decided to take the same route as onward journey and stopped at Dharward Kamat next to IOC COCO bunk.

Also had felt that roads from Sanquelim - Mapusa was too narrow and time consuming, saw another route in Google Maps and thought of trying that out while returning. I guess this is much better for anyone heading around Candolim/ Calangute/ Baga/ Panjim while coming from Jambotti - Chorla route.

The idea is to proceed on Panjim - Old Goa - NH 4A route. Then after bridge near Corlim you will have to take left (Straight from here takes you to Ponda and then to Molem- Ramnagar route). This route joins Chorla - Sanquelim - Mapusa route around Sanquelim, the advantage of this route is that it is much wider and faster.

Google Map link.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 12th November 2014 at 14:34.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 20:13   #2847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The weather is good here, sunny and humid, lots of tourists ( I see hundreds of Gujarat registered vehicles here in Goa since yesterday. I think tens of thousands of Gujaratis ( may be more) are visiting Goa all of sudden and you see only GJ vehicles on road
That is the usual trend with the Businessmen Gujjus who would have burnt midnight oil during the peak & festive diwali season and post that they would be looking for a break. Another season to look out for GJ cars all over tourist spots is in Aug-Sept time when they down shutters for almost a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Had a chance encounter with D-Tbhpian paragsachania during breakfast break during onward journey. Got to know that Ramnagar - Mollem route is doable since bad sections are limited only to few KM's, hence decided to take this route during return trip.
Welcome back Suhas! I hope you had a wonderful week long holiday in Goa. Glad to have caught up with you at Kamat, Ranebennur and yes, It was indeed a pleasant surprise since we met for the first time!

For me that was an impromptu drive to Pune that was decided only last night and I was back in Bangalore the very next night :-).
Quote:
Also had felt that roads from Sanquelim - Mapusa was too narrow and time consuming, saw another route in Google Maps and thought of trying that out while returning. I guess this is much better for anyone heading around Candolim/ Calangute/ Baga/ Panjim while coming from Jambotti - Chorla route.
Yes, you are right. We have tried this route many a times. In fact its faster as you mention and from Old Goa as well you have 2 options to reach Panaji of which the one via NH4A Bypass is fastest while the other one takes you through narrow sections hugging the coastline and ferry stations.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th November 2014 at 20:33.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 09:44   #2848
BHPian

We did a Bengaluru-Goa (Agonda) trip, starting Nov 6th. Left Bangalore at around 5 AM. Breakfast was at Davangere, for the Benne (Butter)Dosas, at around 9:30 AM. Encountered heavy fog around the Davangere area, at 9:30, which was strange considering the time of the day, though it had cleared up by the time we finished breakfast

After the Haveri toll, we asked for directions to Karwar and were told the Mungod-Yellapur stretch is good, except for small patches where work is going on. And we were convinced saving nearly 100 kms of driving would really help reduce the time. But the roads in between were awful, only jelly stone stretches, some stretches only covered in mud and lots of excavation going on. But post Mungod, the roads are good and go through the forest, which makes it a good drive/ride. After Yellapur, hit the Yellapur-Karwar highway and stopped Kamat Ankola for lunch. Reached Agonda by 5 PM

Return journey (on the 9th) we left Agonda by 9 AM, took the Karwar highway and stopped at Kamat Ankola for breakfast by 10:30. Headed to Hubballi on the Hubballi-Karwar highway and road throughout is excellent. Stopped at Kamat Hubballi for lunch ( After Gabbur) at around 2 PM. Reached Bengaluru by 8PM

@Ashkamath: Thanks for the route details, was really helpful. Only we made the mistake of asking the locals at the Haveri toll booth, which led us astray.
Old 13th November 2014, 10:46   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

The idea is to proceed on Panjim - Old Goa - NH 4A route. Then after bridge near Corlim you will have to take left (Straight from here takes you to Ponda and then to Molem- Ramnagar route). This route joins Chorla - Sanquelim - Mapusa route around Sanquelim, the advantage of this route is that it is much wider and faster.

Google Map link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes, you are right. We have tried this route many a times. In fact its faster as you mention and from Old Goa as well you have 2 options to reach Panaji of which the one via NH4A Bypass is fastest while the other one takes you through narrow sections hugging the coastline and ferry stations.
So, would you guys suggest that one takes the Old Goa - Panaji route from the Desai Nagar point to reach Calangute as given in the link above by mpksuhas instead of taking the Mapusa route? Google by default shows the Mapusa route and its shorter by some kms to Calangute.

Your inputs will help me as I am planning a Bangalore - Calangute trip next month through the Chorla route.
Old 13th November 2014, 11:04   #2850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
So, would you guys suggest that one takes the Old Goa - Panaji route from the Desai Nagar point to reach Calangute as given in the link above by mpksuhas instead of taking the Mapusa route? Google by default shows the Mapusa route and its shorter by some kms to Calangute.

Your inputs will help me as I am planning a Bangalore - Calangute trip next month through the Chorla route.
I have taken the Mapusa road only once to reach Calangute. All the other times I have taken the Old Goa - NH4A route only. Somehow, I felt that is easier to drive even though traffic is thick at times.

Most Viewed