Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 08:38   #2956
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeirath View Post
Would you remember how long it took you from Alnavar to Mollem?
Alnavar to Mollem is about 75km. Assume 1.5 to 2 hours of drive for the same. It should not be more than that (a conservative estimate)
Old 11th March 2015, 08:49   #2957
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove Bangalore Hubli Alnavar Ramnagar Mollem Varca om 4th and returned on 8th March.

Took me about 8.5 hours for onward and the last leg from Hubli bypass exit to Varca took 2 hours.

Hubli bypass exit - Alnavar - Ramnagar is an excellent single carriageway 2 lane tolled road. This has 2 unfinished Railway Overbridges but nothing to worry about.

Post Ramnagar where this road ends is where NH4A begins.

Compared to my drive exactly last year on the same route, the bad section in KA Part is now 80% repaired with a lot of patchwork that its almost pothole free but shaky in between. Overall, one should easily be able to maintain 40KMPH on this 34 kms stretch.

Post Goa Border the road is simply fantastic.

This should be THE road to reach South Goa in the quickest possible manner with max 4 lane roads (almost 400+ kms).

Update on Khanapur Jamboti -

This 15 kms stretch that was in bad shape is now Fully done. So those wanting to head North Goa from Bangalore side, please take note.

You need not drive to Belgaum now. Take Alnavar (Goa road/Panaji exit) option from Hubli Bypass.

Drive past Alnavar and turn right for Khanapur. Drive from Khanapur to Jamboti which is 15 kms and from Jamboti continue towards Chorla.

Negatives about this road is just one - You can't break at Belgaum now and your last resort is either CCD at Shiggaon (360 kms) or Kamat before Hubli (380 kms).
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 09:23   #2958
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Goa from 1st March to 7th March. For onward took the Yellapur-Karwar route just so we could have lunch at Amrut in Karwar. It was a total of 680 kms to Candolim through this route and took us close to 11 hours with very sedate driving and a longish lunch break. The road is good all the way.

On the way back we took the chorla-jamboti-belgaum route since we were in Ponda to meet some relatives. Total journey time was 9 hours with just one coffee break. Took us 3 hours from Ponda to Belgaum. There was some work going on in Belgaum so getting out of town is a little tricky. Even though the road was good all the way and was probably 30-40 kms shorter the Chorla Ghat is a narrow road and can be cumbersome to drive if there is traffic.
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 09:32   #2959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
There was some work going on in Belgaum so getting out of town is a little tricky.
Always a pain and time consumer affair to get out of Belgaum.

With Khanapur Jamboti now all ready, makes no sense to go to Belgaum and directly hit Chorla road at Jamboti now.

Belgaum entry should strictly be for breaks and if you plan your drive well, you better skip this via point.
Old 11th March 2015, 10:59   #2960
Team-BHP Support

It would have been good if there were some decent hotels around Chorla. Today thats a bottle neck from a food point of view.
Old 11th March 2015, 11:19   #2961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It would have been good if there were some decent hotels around Chorla. Today thats a bottle neck from a food point of view.
There is one, and the only one! The other is a resort that makes no sense for a lunch or a Bio break.

Rest of all are shanty hotels or dhabas and the case remains the same with Mollem route as well.

But then, it aint a typical highway that expects great holiday traffic all through. Most private cars we notice are GA Registered and they are smart to pass these stretches without a need for a break.

I don't think not having an option to stop either with Chorla or Anmod is a huge issue. If planned well, it is very much manageable.

Charmardi, Kalasa, Kuduremukha - Road less taken = Less hotels and same is the case with Chorla or Mollem.
Old 16th March 2015, 12:53   #2962
BHPian

Folks, planning a trip to Palolem next week.

From the earlier posts, looks like the BLR-HUBLI-YELLAPUR-ANKOLA-KARWAR-PALOLEM route is the most recommended to travel to south goa.

Please let me know if that's still good or if there are any alternatives?

Also, any word on the above route conditions, especially once you leave AH 47?

Plan to leave from JP Nagar around 4 am. I'm guessing with breaks, should make it to Palolem by 2 pm, right?

Or am I being too optimistic?
Old 16th March 2015, 13:04   #2963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
From the earlier posts, looks like the BLR-HUBLI-YELLAPUR-ANKOLA-KARWAR-PALOLEM route is the most recommended to travel to south goa.
Roads are good throughout!! Nothing to worry at all. (Shortest compared to NH4A as well)

Quote:
NH4A is a good alternative but I am skeptical these days on the definition of Good, Bad and Average roads. I drove NH4A last weekend and so did Rajshenoy 2 weeks back and both reported the roads to be good (for south Goa)

Quote:
The roads beyond Hubli are in good condition soon after you leave NH4.

Quote:
Plan to leave from JP Nagar around 4 am. I'm guessing with breaks, should make it to Palolem by 2 pm, right?
Very easily without even speeding. 4AM is a super good time to leave that you will be in Hubli by 10:30/11:00AM with breaks.

Plan that last Bio break either at Shiggaon CCD (35 kms before Hubli) or Kamat at Varur (15 kms before Hubli). If you want to refill, better do that at BPCL COCO at Ranebennur and forget it till you reach Goa and plan to return back.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th March 2015 at 13:10.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 13:27   #2964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Roads are good throughout!! Nothing to worry at all. (Shortest compared to NH4A as well)
Thanks a lot Parag for the quick revert

Just one more question, is there any kind of speed checking anywhere on NH 4 and beyond?

One of my colleagues was recently caught on the Harihar bypass, the single way section, for overspeeding!
Old 16th March 2015, 13:51   #2965
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, planning a trip to Palolem next week.

Or am I being too optimistic?
You should easily reach karwar around 12pm and if I may make a suggestion, there is a restaurant by the name AMRUT in karwar which is the best bet for lunch. The food is delicious.
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 14:16   #2966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If you want to refill, better do that at BPCL COCO at Ranebennur and forget it till you reach Goa and plan to return back.
There is a MRPL COCO at the traffic round-about [circle ] near the Hubli Toll.

Alternatively, the IOC bunk immed after Yellapur (towards Ankola) is also good. Have also taken feedback from locals there, who I know.

Have used both these bunks

Last edited by condor : 16th March 2015 at 14:19.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 14:25   #2967
BHPian

Quote:
Just one more question, is there any kind of speed checking anywhere on NH 4 and beyond?

One of my colleagues was recently caught on the Harihar bypass, the single way section, for overspeeding!
Yes that is true, other than that i have not seen any where else between Bangalore and Hubli, unless you enter Hubli leaving the bypass then between Hubli and Dharwad old highway there is a very strict implementation.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 14:43   #2968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
You should easily reach karwar around 12pm and if I may make a suggestion, there is a restaurant by the name AMRUT in karwar which is the best bet for lunch. The food is delicious.
Thanks for the suggestion. Have been to Amrut before. Completely agree with you. Delicious food.

While on the subject of food, not sure if it still exists but there used to be a place called Purnima few blocks away from Amrut. Used to have the most amazing varieties of ice-cream.
Old 16th March 2015, 14:51   #2969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Have been to Amrut before. Completely agree with you. Delicious food.

While on the subject of food, not sure if it still exists but there used to be a place called Purnima few blocks away from Amrut. Used to have the most amazing varieties of ice-cream.
You forgot Swetha Lunch Home while at Karwar. Some awesome and total VFM fish meals (Equally good Vegetarian options) also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There is a MRPL COCO at the traffic round-about [circle ] near the Hubli Toll.
Thanks, For fuel you seldom have to worry if its a diesel and the range will easily take you to Goa. That MRPL is the least sought after station. I know a local from Shiggaon who suggests never to fill here though and secondly I never got a chance too as I you have COCO within 8 kms after Dharwad Bypass anyways (If I am driving beyond Dharwad that is). There is another BPCL (not a COCO) at the other end of Dharwad Bypass for which one needs to exit towards Dharwad (Below the Overbridge after the toll booth) but this wont work if you are heading to Goa.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th March 2015 at 15:02.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 04:38   #2970
BHPian

Planning a visit to Goa during the Good Friday weekend i.e. April 3rd - 6th

This is my 1st drive to Goa. I have visited South Goa long back with parents and cant remember a thing from that visit except the travel in train.

Here is a plan I drafted after lot of reading from various Goa threads. Special thanks to @mpksuhas for the wonderful travelogue and answering my PMs for accommodation, direction and fuel stations.

Plan Goa:
Start time: 5:30 AM from Bannerghatta Road (Thinking of a 3:00 AM start as well)

Route: NICE road - NH 4- Hubli - Ramnagar - Mollem - Ponda - Panjim - Candolim

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-route.jpg

Breakfast options:
1. BP COCO after Ranebennur (319 kms, 4 hrs as per google)
2. Apoorva Resorts ahead of Davangere (not sure)

Lunch Options: Not sure (any recommendations?)

Candolim by 4 PM (1 PM if I start at 3 AM)

Accommodation: Green Peace Holiday Homes

Fuel stations:
1. COCO after Dharwad bypass
2. Betim Petrol Bunk in Goa

Places to visit:
1. Aguada Fort
2. Dolphin watch boat ride
3. Baga Beach
4. Saturday night Flea Market
5. German bakery
6. Calangute Beach
7. Reis Magos Fort
8. Go around Fontainhas
9. Local shopping
10. Sahkari spice garden in Ponda

Hopefully should be able to cover these places as I will practically have only 2 days to see around in Goa.

Most Viewed