Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 09:50   #3106

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Though not a frequent traveller so only have a few posts. This is my 3rd post - one of my recent trip to Go (16-18th July)

Day 1 (16th July):
Bangalore -> Hubli -> Dharwad -> Belgaum – 508km ( 8am left Bangalore, reached 2 pm Belgaum with 1.5hr break for breakfast/lunch)
Although a stopover at Belgaum isn’t necessary for Bangalore-Goa, we halted for a night due to personal reasons (Belgaum club nice place to stay and good food too).

Day 2 (17th July): (7.30am left Belgaum club road, reached Colva 11.30 am with 1 hr break for photography on Chorla ghat)
Belgaum -> Jamboti -> Kankumbi -> Chorla -> Sanquelim -> Amona Bridge -> Ponda Bypass(NH 17B)
-> Margao -> Colva Beach (superb road all the way)
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-gmap1.jpg

Route via Chorla Ghat is narrow but has excellent roads, very scenic and most part of the ghat was covered in fog with low visibility. Watch out for rashly driven cars heading towards Belgaum. Keep to the left & keep your blinkers on specially on Chorla Ghat section.
Please take note, while exiting Belgaum make sure you take the Kinaye road else you’ll end up in NH4A (Khanapur). Simple if pass thru VTU you are on the right track. To reach South Goa, take the route via Amona Bridge that is soon as you reach Dattawadi take left to get on to Amona bridge (right goes to Mapusa).

Day 3 (18th July) : Came via Panjim for shopping (Left Colva at 11am, reached Bangalore at 1am on 19th)
Colva Beach -> Panjim -> Ponda -> Mollem -> Anmod -> Ramnagar -> Alnavar -> Dharwad -> Hubli -> Bangalore
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-gmap2.jpg

Panjim to Ponda road is in pathetic state. Road widening work in progress, may take 3-4 months for completion. Ponda onwards road gets better but high traffic up to Mollem. Once you enter into Karnataka state road is wider but in pathetic condition up to Ramnagar with crater size potholes & when it rains it would make it much more difficult to gauge the depth which is bad for low-slung cars. Avoid speeding on this road. Difficult to negotiate pot holes in high speed. Saw one Fiesta ditched on to the road side trench due to high speed and panic braking on seeing a crater of a pothole. Road condition is good after the Ramnagar Toll and the distance from Ramnagar to Dharwad can be covered with good speeds. Keep in mind 4 rail way crossings on this route up to Dharward entry point. On my next trip I will stick to Belgaum- Chorla road both ways.

Posting few pictures of Chorla Ghat. Too risky to stop on the ghat road due to continuous flow of traffic.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_1899.jpg
Top quality black top Chorla Ghat stretch

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_1910.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_1913.jpg

Check the video link
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aAsy8m6mk5mwNL
Srini66 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 12:01   #3107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini66 View Post
Colva Beach -> Panjim -> Ponda -> Mollem -> Anmod -> Ramnagar -> Alnavar -> Dharwad -> Hubli -> Bangalore

Panjim to Ponda road is in pathetic state. Road widening work in progress, may take 3-4 months for completion. Ponda onwards road gets better but high traffic up to Mollem. Once you enter into Karnataka state road is wider but in pathetic condition up to Ramnagar with crater size potholes & when it rains it would make it much more difficult to gauge the depth which is bad for low-slung cars.
Road condition is good after the Ramnagar Toll and the distance from Ramnagar to Dharwad can be covered with good speeds. Keep in mind 4 rail way crossings on this route up to Dharward entry point. On my next trip I will stick to Belgaum- Chorla road both ways.
Going to Goa mid August and looking for a direct, short route with good roads. Was thinking of taking Srini66 return route going and coming but this seems too bad but shortest. I am going to Candolim which is somewhere in the middle of Goa. I am familiar with the Hubli Ankola Karwar route but this is too long and good for south goa only.

Since Chorla ghat is ok how does one reach it from NH4?

Any suggestions with current road conditions?
Old 20th July 2015, 12:53   #3108

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Going to Goa mid August and looking for a direct, short route with good roads. Was thinking of taking Srini66 return route going and coming but this seems too bad but shortest. I am going to Candolim which is somewhere in the middle of Goa. I am familiar with the Hubli Ankola Karwar route but this is too long and good for south goa only.

Since Chorla ghat is ok how does one reach it from NH4?

Any suggestions with current road conditions?
If you have no issues entering Belgaum town, I would suggest you take Belgaum-Jamboti-Chorla route both ways. Scenic road you will not regret.
If you want to avoid Belgaum, the other option is take the Hubli-Dharwad Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla route as suggested by paragsachania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

If you want to take Chorla (forgetting the fact that Belgaum has better Stopover options):

Crossing Belgaum city is a time consuming affair and its a fact experienced by many. Earlier there was no good road to reach a point on Chorla route without getting into Belgaum. But now you have!!

Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Goa.

The 15 kms stretch between Khanapur and Jamboti is also done up recently and saves an easy 1 hour for you compared to entering Belgaum and eating there!
Srini66 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 13:07   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have no issues entering Belgaum town, I would suggest you take Belgaum-Jamboti-Chorla route both ways. Scenic road you will not regret.
If you want to avoid Belgaum, the other option is take the Hubli-Dharwad Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla route as suggested by paragsachania.
Entering Belgaum will make me lose time, would prefer bypassing it if the roads are good. Looking at Google maps is this the best route from Hubli Dharwad bypass to Jamboti? https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/15...15.6910084!3e0
Old 20th July 2015, 13:08   #3110

Dash Cam recording of driving through Chorla Ghat. Video was not embedded in previous post.

Quote:
Looking at Google maps is this the best route from Hubli Dharwad bypass to Jamboti? https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/15...15.6910084!3e0
Yes, that is the right route to reach Jamboti from Hubli-Dharwad bypass. Good road from Dharwad to Alnavar, but not sure of road condition from Alnavar to Khanapur.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th July 2015 at 13:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Srini66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 13:20   #3111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore -> Hubli -> Dharwad -> Belgaum – 508km ( 8am left Bangalore, reached 2 pm Belgaum with 1.5hr break for breakfast/lunch)
OT - 4.5 hours during day time traffic from Bangalore to Belgaum that includes 6-7 tolls, Approx 50 Kms of two way traffic between Hubli and Belgaum!!
Old 20th July 2015, 14:16   #3112
Distinguished - BHPian

Update regarding Dudhsagar train stoppages in Bangalore mirror - Link

Updates:
  • Railway police is not allowing anyone to get off train at Dudhsagar station due to tourists falling down from trains and getting run over.
  • No issue in trekking from Colem station, you are only warned not to walk on tracks.
  • Tourists are not allowed to get in to pond at foot off falls due to drowning incidents.
  • Nothing mentioned about trekking from Castle rock station. However since there is no issue in walking from Colem side, it is safe to assume that you can trek from Castle rock side also.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 18:59   #3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
OT - 4.5 hours during day time traffic from Bangalore to Belgaum that includes 6-7 tolls, Approx 50 Kms of two way traffic between Hubli and Belgaum!!
Correction. Lunch break was just 30 minutes. Due to low traffic up to Belgaum helped maintain good speeds. Also 2-5 minutes max at all 9 tolls (₹549) helped in reaching Belgaum quickly. Enclosed 2 toll receipts proves my claim.

Nelamangala Navayuga Exit toll @ 7.46am
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_2128.jpg

Belgaum entry toll @ 2.15pm.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_2130.jpg

BTW, single road between Hubli-Dharwad is just 25km.
Old 20th July 2015, 20:50   #3114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Entering Belgaum will make me lose time, would prefer bypassing it if the roads are good. Looking at Google maps is this the best route from Hubli Dharwad bypass to Jamboti? https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/15...15.6910084!3e0
Been there, done that!

If you want to take Chorla and yet avoid crossing Belgaum, take this route:

Dharwad Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur-Jamboti (This is where you join the Belgaum Chorla Road)- Chorla - Sanquelim - Goa
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 09:36   #3115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Been there, done that!

If you want to take Chorla and yet avoid crossing Belgaum, take this route:

Dharwad Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur-Jamboti (This is where you join the Belgaum Chorla Road)- Chorla - Sanquelim - Goa
Parag, I was waiting for your informed reply as you know these parts so well. But on Google I see two ways to from Alnavar to Khanapur:-one SH 93 via Bidi and the second SH 34 and 138 via Halasi. Both these routes join at Nandgad.
So which is the preferred route?
Old 21st July 2015, 10:36   #3116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Parag, I was waiting for your informed reply as you know these parts so well. But on Google I see two ways to from Alnavar to Khanapur:-one SH 93 via Bidi and the second SH 34 and 138 via Halasi. Both these routes join at Nandgad.
So which is the preferred route?
The one via Bidi is the road you must take. In "non-googlemaps" language if I have to direct, You will pass Alnavar town on your left and not really enter it and continue straight. Within 1-2 kms after this, the toad forks into 2. Staying left will lead to Ramnagar and Turning right here will take you to Khanapur. You take this road.

From Khanapur its again a 15 kms newly relaid road(narrow but no traffic) that joins Jamboti.

Jamboti is nothing but a Junction which you would get if you are driving from Belgaum for Chorla. From here its one road for Chorla.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 10:49   #3117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From Khanapur its again a 15 kms newly relaid road(narrow but no traffic) that joins Jamboti.
Parag does this route monthly and is a pro on it . Just keep in mind that this 15 km is very narrow in places and frequently on a 'bund', i.e. raised above the surrounding terrain. While there are usually a few two wheelers, watch out for the rare dumper truck which means someone has to give way.

Switch off the stereo, wind down your window and give a little honk at the corners. Same goes for Chorla which is pretty narrow in places - don't be complacent as the locals drive like Parag

Last edited by ampere : 23rd July 2015 at 21:34. Reason: Fixed quote tags
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 11:02   #3118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Same goes for Chorla which is pretty narrow in places - don't be complacent as the locals drive like Parag
What did you mean when you said locals drive like Parag . If so, they drive sanely. And I thought "giving way" on narrow roads remains a norm!

I am driving there this Friday and again in September last week. Always prefer taking road less taken each time you hit Goa.

So let me know in case you too are headed that side and install a dashcam. Either you put that footage of my driving in Bad Drivers section or Good!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st July 2015 at 11:07.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:23   #3119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What did you mean when you said locals drive like Parag . If so, they drive sanely. And I thought "giving way" on narrow roads remains a norm!

I am driving there this Friday and again in September last week. Always prefer taking road less taken each time you hit Goa.

So let me know in case you too are headed that side and install a dashcam. Either you put that footage of my driving in Bad Drivers section or Good!!
Wife will kill me if I mention Goa. She has just gotten rid off the tan :-). Actually meant to say locals drive unlike Parag ;-)

Next drive likely to be Hyderabad as we want to do the historical sights and just chill. Waiting for a long weekend in September for this.

Best of luck on your drive. Incidentally do update us on how the roads are holding up in the monsoons.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 14:55   #3120
BHPian

Planning to drive to Goa from Bangalore late Sept. Is this a good route to take and come back on ?
https://goo.gl/maps/vCFVu

Going from E-City to Varca and back

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks