Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 15:12   #3121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
Planning to drive to Goa from Bangalore late Sept. Is this a good route to take and come back on ?
https://goo.gl/maps/vCFVu

Going from E-City to Varca and back
That's the Mungod-Yellapura Route. Check this update from a fellow Bhpian below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
I just completed my visit to Goa and your guidance was of immense value regarding the routes. Two updates from my side.
i) I took the standard Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa route while going. But the 'itch' to explore something made me take the Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur route via SH6. I had a fully loaded NHCZx with low ground clearance. Believe me this route was doable. The road from Yellapur-Mundgod was a narrow road but pothole free and fresh tarmac. Completely doable at around 60-70km/hr. From Mundgod to Bankapur, apart from few bad stretches(nothing treacherous) it was OK to drive. The guys going from Bangalore can take this route. The landmark to take a left is just after the first toll booth after Haveri.
Word of Caution : It's a narrow road, so please be prepared for some maniac bus drivers and local bike stuntmen. . Secondly, you must be prepared to give way for oncoming traffic and move on to road shoulders which sometimes are deep. Just plan it properly.

ii) The ghat section from Idgundy to Yellapur while climbing up has developed some seriously big potholes. Drive carefully while climbing up from Karwar to Yellapur side. One good thing is that Yellapur-Idgundy side of the road (down the slope) is in a good condition.
Of course, each one will have their own judgement when it comes to how narrow or wide, how safe or dangerous every road is. In general, if you want to reach via Karwar, you can take this route.

Since you destination is Varca, way back in March we had taken Dharwad Bypass-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Varca and the route conditions were excellent including the bad patch of 30 kms between Ramnagar and Goa Border. That same patch as of today seems to have gone bad due to rains but still worth it.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 16:36   #3122
BHPian

Thanks @parag
I'll try the Dharwad Bypass-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Varca route. I don't have any reason to touch Karwar
Old 17th August 2015, 11:39   #3123
Senior - BHPian

After research and discussions with Parag I'm taking this route to Candolim on 19 Aug and will update after completion https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ar...15.5145247!3e0
Old 17th August 2015, 12:08   #3124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
paragsachania : That's the Mungod-Yellapura Route.
Got an update yesterday from a localite. The Mundgod - Yellapur road has now improved, unlike what it was a couple of years ago.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 15:31   #3125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Got an update yesterday from a localite. The Mundgod - Yellapur road has now improved, unlike what it was a couple of years ago.
That was the same update given by adi_gt who I have quoted few posts back as he mentions it "Pothole Free & Fresh Tarmac", thus confirming that its improved like you mention.

More on adi_gt's update here.
Old 17th August 2015, 18:31   #3126
BHPian

Bankapur- Mundgod ---- typical state highway but doable.
Mundgod- Bankapur - fresh tarmac but narrow, be careful on shoulders while giving space to oncoming traffic.
Old 20th August 2015, 11:46   #3127

Hello Roadies,

Just back from a drive to Goa and it was the best drive ever. We left Cunningham road at 04:10, and were at the Zuri in Varca at 11:50.

It was the 15th of August, traffic was light and the roads excellent. The only stop was for fuel and the loo at CCD short of Hubli.

The road between Ramnagar and the border is PATHETIC, and it is amazing that just under the gantry welcoming you to Goa, the surface becomes like SILK.

Shame on the Karnataka PWD that it is only a toll road in our state that is well maintained. Not even the 3 rail bridges have any work on them for the last 5 years.

Had the driver take the car back - we took a flight.

Salut,
Arjun
ArjunVS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 17:15   #3128
BHPian

Hey All,
I plan to travel to do Bangalore-Goa in first week September. Need to try a newer route than the regular Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar for south and Belgaum-Chorla-Sanquelim for north(Did this just last month, best road for going to north goa from B'lore. In great condition all along thru the monsoons other than the getting out of belgaum).

But since going to Varca this time thinking of doing Dharwad Bypass-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Varca as suggested by Parag. Just would like to know if this saves time and distance compared to the Karwar route.

Also if some one could let me know the current status of the dicey section of road(30 km as mentioned by parag).
cheers,
gaurav
Old 21st August 2015, 18:29   #3129
Distinguished - BHPian

^ You can read ArjunVS's update just above your post where he mentions these 30kms as pathetic.
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:51   #3130
Senior - BHPian

Back from Goa after a short break.

Left Bangalore on 19 morning and took the route as mentioned in https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ar...15.5145247!3e0
Took 12 hours due to a 2 hour diversion at Hubli but this route is 621 kms. After The Dharwar Hubli Exit the road is 2 lanes throughout. Great surface but with speed breakers at villages. there is a toll on the road to Alnavar and the 2/3 railway crossings are unfinished state. The road from Khanapur to Jamboti is slightly broken up but doable comfortably. Thereafter the road is simply beautiful right upto Goa. Great surface, great twisties, tree covered, scenic views.

Coming back on 22nd, I debated to take same route back, but after some discussions with Parag decided to return via Belgaum. The state of the Belgaum Chorla Goa road was the deciding factor and Google maps led me to this route which somewhat bypasses Belgaum https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ca...12.9891586!3e0

To give you an idea from the Hubli Dharwad Bypass exit to Candolim Goa took 4:50 for 182 kms and while coming back it took 4:10 and 195 kms. had almost equal stops while going and coming. So you can see it makes so much more sense to travel via Belgaum, 70 of the 195 kms are 6 laned vs none of the 182.

The road in Goa from Candolim, NH 17, Thivim, Mulgao, Bicholi, Sanquelim, Chorla is great. I traveled early morning and loved it .

PS Due to some farmer agitation yesterday Dharwad city and the bypass were blocked so had to take a detour via Hubli and lost a lot of time.
Old 24th August 2015, 11:25   #3131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjunVS View Post
Hello Roadies,

Just back from a drive to Goa and it was the best drive ever. We left Cunningham road at 04:10, and were at the Zuri in Varca at 11:50.
======
Had the driver take the car back - we took a flight.

Salut,
Arjun
Bang-goa trip in 8 hours flat (7.40 to be precise)
even with a small break this is pretty fast. What were you riding dude and how fast?
or the route's so great except for that damn 30 KMs. Myself going to varca next week. Thinking of taking this route. cheers
Old 24th August 2015, 11:55   #3132

Gaurav,

I'd suggest you do take the route via Dharwad bypass in spite of the 30 Km war-zone. the rest of the road condition is excellent, but what is really nice is that it is all forested, it is serene, and there is very very little traffic till you cross Ponda.

The war-zone too is alright if you take it slow, and it is not as it it is all a car-wrecker, but every few hundred meters or there about.

Ensure you tank-up before Hubli because there is nothing between Hubli and Mollem - no gas station, no where to eat or go to the loo.

Salut and have a safe drive.
Old 26th August 2015, 10:09   #3133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjunVS View Post
Gaurav,

I'd suggest you do take the route via Dharwad bypass in spite of the 30 Km war-zone. the rest of the road condition is excellent, but what is really nice is that it is all forested, it is serene, and there is very very little traffic till you cross Ponda.
========
Salut and have a safe drive.
Great! Its decided then will take this route. Something new to look forward to this time round. Have taken all of the 4 other main routes.
thanks for the heads up arjun.
cheers
gaurav

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th August 2015 at 10:52. Reason: Fixing Quotes.
Old 26th August 2015, 10:26   #3134

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkanu View Post
Bang-goa trip in 8 hours flat (7.40 to be precise)
even with a small break this is pretty fast. What were you riding dude and how fast?
or the route's so great except for that damn 30 KMs. Myself going to varca next week. Thinking of taking this route. cheers

Dear Aranku,

We drive a 7 year old Scorpio. We drive at 120 or thereabout and till the turn-off at the bypass, one averages some 95kmph. and as such, the turnoff on the Dharwad bypass was around 0845 / 430 Km / 4h:35.

The drive thereafter to Ramnagar is curvy, hilly, forested, and an average of 60 kmph is easily achieved.

Apart from the warzone, what sloes one down is the Ponda/Margao stretch inspite of the Ponda bypass.

Alternately, leaving at 0400, we normally cross the Karwar bridge at 10:30 or thereafouts.

the key is in leaving early, and crossing Chitradurga by 06:30.

The return drive is another thing al together. Damn drain on the system and no joy.

Salut.
Old 1st September 2015, 13:01   #3135
BHPian

8 of us are planning a Bangalore - north goa - Bangalore trip from 16th -20th September .
Initial plan is to start from Bangalore around 5pm on 16th take a night halt in davengere and then continue the journey to Goa next day morning . Then plan to start back from Goa on Sunday morning and come back to Banagalore by evening .

We plan to cover most of North goa in this trip , so is the route planned the right one and how is feedback in general for the road and traffic . How long is the ghat section and anything that we should be worried about .

We will be using a duster and a polo for the drive .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks