Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2015, 16:02   #3181
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
Yes Supratik, that is the one I'm talking about. Cause I have taken the route that Parag sir has mentioned a couple of times too in the past, but have ended taking too many wrong turns and doing U-turns to get back to the main road.

Since then I take the MK Hubli route. Single road, less chance of going into wrong roads.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 16:52   #3182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Yes Supratik, that is the one I'm talking about. Cause I have taken the route that Parag sir has mentioned a couple of times too in the past, but have ended taking too many wrong turns and doing U-turns to get back to the main road.

Since then I take the MK Hubli route. Single road, less chance of going into wrong roads.
Actually when I drove first time via Khanapur, I too got lost ☺.

After that I have taken this may be thrice in one direction.

Hence those details on turn offs and the way points.

If one remembers Alnavar Khanapur Jamboti, it makes the whole game easier!!
Old 20th September 2015, 14:04   #3183
BHPian

Did Bangalore - Shimoga on Thursday last week, took the NH4A route. Except for the 30-35 km stretch near the border as I described a few weeks back, the route is good. The potholes in the warzone have now turned craters and you must drive extremely carefully in that stretch.

While coming back, I wanted to visit Jog falls, so took the SH206 and NH17 route.
The roads are decently wide to narrow to very narrow after Honnavar till Jog falls. There are stretches where you will come out of a narrow pot hole filled road to a beautiful stretch of tarmac which is wide enough. You have to be careful about speeding away on such stretches (natural tendency). I saw a Bangalore registered Alto doing so and the guy overtook me on a narrow stretch. 5 minutes later I saw he had banged a motorcyclist. Thankfully, nobody was hurt bad.

The ghats too are dense and steep in some sections. Keep to your lane and all should be good. After Jog, till Shimoga the roads are good except the occasional speed bumps. From Shimoga, I took the NH to Chitradurga - roads are not good in this stretch with very frequent diversions - best to avoid till the road work gets completed.
Old 21st September 2015, 21:09   #3184
BHPian

Did the Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore trip during the long weekend .

Bangalore - Goa - day 1 - started from Bangalore 5pm in the evening , halt at Davengere - Hotel Shoven .

Next day morning an early 5 am start , breakfast at Kamath .
Route followed Khanapura - chorla ghat - Goa(Candolim) . Reached Goa around 1pm with 1hour break in between . Road condition is absolutely brilliant apart from 10-15kms of patchy and narrow road near to Chorla .

While returning took the Anmoda ghat route via Belgaum , started from North goa around 11 reached Bangalore by 1am with lots of breaks in between . Road condition is bad for about 20kms near to the ghat section in Karnataka side .
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:17   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post

Another quickie!

Where is the checkpost on this route?
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:56   #3186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
Where is the checkpost on this route?
As long as you are hitting Chorala Ghats the check post is only after Kankumbi.
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:42   #3187
Distinguished - BHPian

Attention:

Hubli-Dharwad Bandh on 23-Sept
Karnataka bandh on 26-Sept
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:27   #3188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Attention:

Hubli-Dharwad Bandh on 23-Sept
Karnataka bandh on 26-Sept
Thanks condor. I am driving to Goa on the same day, 26th. Need to work out some strategies now.

I had anyway planned to take NH4A via Alnavar and Ramnagar despite of the bad patch with a 4:30am start.

Guess I will have to start at 3:30 itself so that I am out of KA(or at least closer to Goa Border/Ghats) by 9am.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd September 2015 at 13:28.
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:39   #3189
BHPian

Hi, I'm planning to travel from Bangalore to Goa with a halt at Hubli. Can you please let me know how long (time) the Bangalore-Hubli might take? Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:47   #3190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Can you please let me know how long (time) the Bangalore-Hubli might take?
The distance between Bangalore- Hubli is around 400 Kms. One can easily average 60Kms per hour including maddening traffic until tumkur and a break on the way. Depends on your speeds and drive but anything between 5-7 hours is possible.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 17:31   #3191
BHPian

Hi,
I left HAL at 3:30AM and reached Margao at 12:00 noon. Took almost 8 and half hrs with 30mins break at Cafe day Hubali and a petrol refill break at Mollem. I think BLR - Goa is doable in 8hrs flat if road conditions between Ramnagar and Goa border are good. The car used was 2007 model Getz.
Happy motoring
sary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 13:12   #3192
VKM
BHPian

Guys
planning chennai-goa trip with family. taking the mangalore - goa route while going and the hubli route while returning.
starting at 2pm on 26th from chennai, plan to halt in Hassan for the night and then next day to goa. is chennai to hassan doable with the halt around 8-9pm?
In case i decide to ahead with night driving is there any entry restrictions in the western ghats area?
Old 24th September 2015, 13:20   #3193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
planning chennai-goa trip with family. taking the mangalore - goa route while going and the hubli route while returning.
Any specific reason you are planning to drive via Mangalore ? Else, your onward route is not the fastest.
Old 24th September 2015, 13:38   #3194
VKM
BHPian

while starting, journey is the aim, not reaching the destination sooner. while returning reaching home is more important than the journey.don't know if i make sense.
VKM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 16:03   #3195
Mik
BHPian

This question is repetitive and bordering on lazy, but with so many routes done by veterans, what can a first timer to this route do

I am leaving tomorrow for Baga (North Goa) and the priority is the fastest route.
Is it Bangalore-Tumkur-MK Hubli-Jamboti-Chorla Ghat- Sanquelim-Assonora-Mapusa-Baga ?

The turn from MK Hubli will be marked properly or any milestone I need to keep a track of?
Leaving at 4 AM from Whitefield, I am hoping to make it by 2/2.30 PM.

I did Gurgaon-Bangalore 5 months back and vaguely remember that this area had two lane section for some kilometers with lots of trucks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks