Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2015, 11:44   #3241
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

After 3 years will be going again to Goa, this time in a AT hatchback. Was reading the last 10 pages for route suggestions to South Goa i.e. Colva but pretty confused. So let me give the choices and I will let the route veterans to guide me.

My main agenda is to drive on good to average roads occasional bad sections are ok but should be faster as I will be having a kid and driving for long time might be difficult.

Option 1: Distance - 678 kms | Time: 10.15
Blr - Hubballi - Kalghatgi - Yellapur - Ramanguli - Algeri - Karwar - Colva

Map:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-option1.png

Option 2: Distance - 683 | Time: 11.16
Blr - Hubballi - Kalghatgi - Yellapur - Idgundi - Virje - Katar - Karwar - Colva

Map:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-option2.png

Option 3: Distance - 618 | Time: 9.49
Blr - Dharwad - Alnavar - Anmod - Molem - Ponda - Borim - Colva

Map:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-option3.png

Option 4: Distance - 650 | Time: 10.37
Blr - Dharwad - Alnavar - Khanapur - Chorla - Poriem - Ponda - Colva

Map:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-option4.png
Old 15th October 2015, 11:57   #3242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
My main agenda is to drive on good to average roads occasional bad sections are ok but should be faster as I will be having a kid and driving for long time might be difficult.
Bangalore-Bankapura-Mumgod-Yellapura-Ankola-Karwar-Colva

You should think no further. Roads are all clean all the way to destination except that NH63 after you hit Yellapura till Ankola is a bit patchy at curves where the top layer is washed away due to water flow but again easily manageable in any car with whatever GC.

Don't even think of Ramnagar-Mollem - Its Bad to very bad and not advisable as of today till its repaired and someone drives and confirms the condition.

Chorla option on the other hand would be longer for Colva while the Karwar option would help you reach Colva from south without too much traffic to negotiate once you enter Goa.

Apart from Kamat at Ranebennur, your next option for break on the Mungod route can be CCD/Kamat at Ankola (In case you need to) else you can always drive to Goa with just one break like most of the world on Tbhp is doing all these years.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:58   #3243
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

Option 1: Distance - 678 kms | Time: 10.15
Blr - Hubballi - Kalghatgi - Yellapur - Ramanguli - Algeri - Karwar - Colva
This route is good, 4/6 lane in some sections from Bangalore upto Hubli bypass and then good 2 lane roads upto Ankola junction and then NH17 via Karwar which is also good.

Last edited by NPV : 15th October 2015 at 12:00.
Old 15th October 2015, 12:02   #3244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This route is good, 4 lane upto Hubli bypass and then good 2 lane roads upto Ankola junction and then NH17 via Karwar which is also good.
I had reported only a week before on how the Mungod Yellapura option is now a super good time saver against driving all the way till Hubli bypass and then reach Yallapura via Kalhatgi. I see this is a sheer waste of time, driving effort and toll!

With Mungod-Yellapura in top condition and absolutely negligible traffic, my vote remains for this option to touch Yellapura for all the positives it has.

Let me reiterate here again that with speeds that never crossed 70kmph max, I calculated around 70-75 minutes from Yellapura to Shiggaon (which is 10 minutes before Bankapura). I am more than sure that one will need more time to reach Shiggaon or Bankapura via Yellapura-Kalhatgi-Hubli Bypass-Varur route as its longer

EDIT: Here's the post that you can refer to on the detailed explanation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The Mungod Route:

It is indeed a time saver. Sample this, we turned right at Yellapura exactly at 1522 Hours by the clock and hit NH4 at Shiggaon at 1630 Hours. This is almost 70 mins with very sedate driving (say 70kmph max) as daughter was sleeping and it was a new road, narrow with few sudden turns and small speedbreakers. I don’t think if one takes Yellapura – Hubli Bypass – NH4 route, you can reach any faster to Shiggaon where we joined NH4.

The petty speedbreakers here at few villages should not bother you at all. None of these are car breakers! If you miss them, you can still pass them over without breaking a Bone or a suspension component. Anyway, you will hardly be able to do anything more than 70-80 kmph as the roads is less in wider and you will hardly get a straight stretch to belt some good speeds.

Should you take this deviation at all ?

Well, my answer would be a firm YES if you are looking for a calmer, scenic & definitely FASTER option to hit Yellapura from Bangalore.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th October 2015 at 12:04.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 12:04   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Bangalore-Bankapura-Mumgod-Yellapura-Ankola-Karwar-Colva

You should think no further. Roads are all clean all the way to destination except that NH63 after you hit Yellapura till Ankola is a bit patchy at curves where the top layer is washed away due to water flow but again easily manageable in any car with whatever GC.

Don't even think of Ramnagar-Mollem - Its Bad to very bad and not advisable as of today till its repaired and someone drives and confirms the condition.

Chorla option on the other hand would be longer for Colva while the Karwar option would help you reach Colva from south without too much traffic to negotiate once you enter Goa.

Apart from Kamat at Ranebennur, your next option for break on the Mungod route can be CCD/Kamat at Ankola (In case you need to) else you can always drive to Goa with just one break like most of the world on Tbhp is doing all these years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This route is good, 4/6 lane in some sections from Bangalore upto Hubli bypass and then good 2 lane roads upto Ankola junction and then NH17 via Karwar which is also good.
Thanks Both, the Bankapur - Mungod route sounds better and is also shorter. I had travelled on the NH63 Yellapur route in 2012, that time also the ghat roads had the top layered removed after rains. Kamat at Ranebennur and then at Ankola sounds good.

Last edited by motomaverick : 15th October 2015 at 12:06.
Old 15th October 2015, 13:38   #3246

Hi All

I am planning to travel with my family(4) and in-laws from Bangalore-JogFalls-Karwar-GOA in my Ertiga ZXI. Need experts opinion and suggestions on alternate routes. Also this is my first post as am new member to this community. If this is not right place to post this, pls excuse me.

Following is my plan:
18th Oct - Start around 5am from Blore to Jog Falls (411kms):
Route: BLR-Nelamangala-Kunigal-Yadiyur-Gandasi-Ariskere-Banavara-Kadur-Bhadravati-Shivamogga-Sagar-Jogfalls. (Any suggestions on places for breakfast & lunch?)

Finish site seeing in Jog Falls and photo session and proceed to Karwar for night stay. Ofcourse plan is to have dinner at the famous AMRUT
Route: JogFalls to Honavar in NH 206 and from Honavar NH 17 via Kumta-Ankola-Karwar. This route is only 149kms.

Total from Blore to Karwar is 560kms in one day.

Please let me know if this is a good plan and about the road conditions and food places enroute.
Thanks to all of you.
Old 15th October 2015, 13:47   #3247
BHPian

Why would you want to go all the way up till Hubli and then drive downwards ??? Stick to Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur. NH63 is fantastic except that certain places after Idgundi is slightly patchy because of the rains. Else it's an amazing road to drive. Lots of traffic though. I use Bankapur route to goto my native in Sirsi too. It's really good.

Ankola-Karwar-Colva. Straight as that.

Chorla route is too long for Colva, Mollem route is terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 14:12   #3248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Why would you want to go all the way up till Hubli and then drive downwards?
Exactly my point Doc.

With Mungod option, Its useless to drive up til Hubli and then starts descending. Road conditons are super good anyway. I didn't encounter any bad patch between Yellapura to Mungod to Shiggaon 2 weeks before.

Remains the best bet against Hubli route.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 01:32   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegurram View Post
Hi All

I am planning to travel with my family(4) and in-laws from Bangalore-JogFalls-Karwar-GOA in my Ertiga ZXI. Need experts opinion and suggestions on alternate routes. Also this is my first post as am new member to this community. If this is not right place to post this, pls excuse me.

Following is my plan:
18th Oct - Start around 5am from Blore to Jog Falls (411kms):
Route: BLR-Nelamangala-Kunigal-Yadiyur-Gandasi-Ariskere-Banavara-Kadur-Bhadravati-Shivamogga-Sagar-Jogfalls. (Any suggestions on places for breakfast & lunch?)

Finish site seeing in Jog Falls and photo session and proceed to Karwar for night stay. Ofcourse plan is to have dinner at the famous AMRUT
Route: JogFalls to Honavar in NH 206 and from Honavar NH 17 via Kumta-Ankola-Karwar. This route is only 149kms.

Total from Blore to Karwar is 560kms in one day.

Please let me know if this is a good plan and about the road conditions and food places enroute.
Thanks to all of you.

Route is perfect.

Bengaluru-CRPatna Bypass (Excellent 4 lane tolled road)
CRPatna-Gandasi-Arsikere (zero traffic, nice wide swooping roads, flat tarmac, beautiful scenery, can do some good speeds here)
Arsikere-Talguppa (Loads of traffic, good roads, maniac KSRTC drivers)
Talguppa-Jog Falls (lots of curves, patchy roads and plenty of pot holes too)
Should take you 7 hrs with breaks.

Breakfast options on the NH48 (Do note that these open close to 7 am only.)
-Shark Food Court (too early and will propably be closed)
-the hotels opp the Adichunchangiri Medical College, serves one hell of an egg-bread toast. Love that place.
-Swathi/Adigas grand near Yediyur
-Mayura at Bellur Cross.
-CCD at Arsikere on the NH206.
-Preethi canteen at Birur serves some excellent food, but restroom options are not available

Jog Falls to Honnavar is about 70 kms and takes a good 1hr 30mins to 2hrs because of the heavy ghat section here. Roads are good, a little patchy/bumpy in the wheareabouts of Gerusoppa.

Do note: Jog Falls has no worthy restaurant to mention off. There's one called "Mayura" which honestly is a dump. If you could touch Honnavar, you have Sukh Sagar on the highway, Varad International at Kumta, Suragi at Kumta (which is also a brilliant homestay btw) and Pandurang. Just next to pandurang is a small military type hotel that serves some brilliant fish meals, lobsters and crab masala.

Honnavar to Karwar NH17 is excellent, loads of traffic, quite a few diversions (due to 4 laning). Incase you are tired, you can take a halt at Kumta. You can stay at Pandurang International. Else there's always Karwar and Amruth

Kumta-Madangeri-Ankola-Karwar is excellent. You can cover the distance pretty quickly. Road is excellent, no diversions, no 4 laning work going on. Watch out for the mini ghat (curves) just before Karwar.
P.S:- Donot fill fuel at the BP Petrol pump opp Gokarna Cross (Madangeri). Bugger's a cheat. I always get less FE when I fill here. Now I fill at the IOC pump at Honnavar.

Have a safe journey.

Regards,
Aniketh

Last edited by drhoneycake : 16th October 2015 at 01:36. Reason: typo
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 02:45   #3250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jog has no water. So what is the point going to Jog ? You should look for some nicer locations.
Old 16th October 2015, 08:09   #3251

Thanks a lot Aniketh. You exactly gave the details I was looking for, helps me a lot. I have arranged my stay at Karwar, so have to reach Karwar for night stay. Any Shell bunks enroute?

Thanks again
Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Jog has no water. So what is the point going to Jog ? You should look for some nicer locations.
Hi Ampere
Jog has no water in this season? That surprises me. Any other suggestions you have? I think at least I can enjoy the scenic route.

Last edited by ampere : 16th October 2015 at 09:07. Reason: Back to Back posts merged
Old 16th October 2015, 09:09   #3252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ampere
Jog has no water in this season? That surprises me. Any other suggestions you have? I think at least I can enjoy the scenic route.

Jog gets water only during monsoons. Ideal time to visit would be July/Aug. Rest all seasons its typically a trickle.

Some other places may be Sirsi/Banavasi. Or towards Honnavar side Gokarna, Murdeshwar etc.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 09:18   #3253
BHPian

Bangalore - Goa.... which route?

Quote:
Thanks a lot Aniketh. You exactly gave the details I was looking for, helps me a lot. I have arranged my stay at Karwar, so have to reach Karwar for night stay. Any Shell bunks enroute?

Thanks again

Raj

Hi Ampere

Your welcome. Glad to help.

@Ampere sir
I was going to say the same thing. Going to Jog now is useless. Absolutely no water, just a trickle. I travel this route every 2 months and believe me, there as has been no water even in the monsoons.

Not enough rains above the ghats this year. Coastal has received a ton of rainfall.

Instead of Jog, you could do Sirsi/Banavasi or Murudeshwar. In case you do Sirsi, do note that Sirsi Kumta road is excellent, just 8 Kms of ghats newly laid wide and Tarmac is made of concrete.

No Shell Bunks on this route unfortunately. But plenty of IOC, HP & BP pumps.

Have a safe trip.

Regards,
Aniketh

Last edited by drhoneycake : 16th October 2015 at 09:21.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 09:18   #3254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
racegurram : Any Shell bunks enroute?
I dont think any on the way between BLR & Karwar. However, you can try the COCO bunks of any company or the MRPL bunks - there is one just before the Hubli toll, on the right.
Old 16th October 2015, 10:17   #3255

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Your welcome. Glad to help.

@Ampere sir
=====
Regards,
Aniketh

Oh Ok. This changes my plans significantly. Pls don't mind if I am asking too much. What are the places in Banavasi and Sirsi to see? Is Talaguppa to Banavasi road good? Google is showing a straight road NH93 from Talaguppa to Sirsi, do you know if this road is good? So why go up till Banavasi if i can go straight to Sirsi from Talaguppa?
Or if I decide to go Murudeshwar which route you can please suggest?
Thanks a lot again
Raj

Most Viewed