Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2016, 09:39   #3421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Ramnagara to just before Anmod is now excellent two lane road, you can do some great speeds here. Post this the same road condition, quite a bit of diversions due to ongoing road works all the way till Goa border, post that it is simply brilliant all the way to Panaji.

My return is via Chorla, so can't comment about the Ramnagara Dharwad section, but from my last travel to Goa in June 2015, it was great although lots of speedbreakers near towns.

Regards,
Aniketh
Thanks Aniketh. This is brilliant piece of information indeed. So the 'Standard' route to Goa should become a Standard from now post repairs.

Regarding the speedbreakers, You are referring to those near towns that are like the ones we have in Bangalore for pedestrian crossing isn't it? I recall only few back breakers but rest all were 3rd Gear type speedbreakers with flat surface.

Thanks again for your inputs. Helps much to plan my next one soon .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 10:40   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:

Ramnagara to just before Anmod is now excellent two lane road, you can do some great speeds here. Post this the same road condition, quite a bit of diversions due to ongoing road works all the way till Goa border, post that it is simply brilliant all the way to Panaji.

it was great although lots of speedbreakers near towns.

Regards,
Aniketh

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Thanks Aniketh, From your post above I understand that the perpetual bad road from Anmod to Ramnagara is under repair. For how many kms are the ongoing road works? And how much time would you lose going through these diversions?

Thus I presume,on completion, this would be the fastest route to /from Bangalore:- NH4- Dharwad - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem
Old 9th March 2016, 09:21   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thanks Aniketh. This is brilliant piece of information indeed. So the 'Standard' route to Goa should become a Standard from now post repairs.

Regarding the speedbreakers, You are referring to those near towns that are like the ones we have in Bangalore for pedestrian crossing isn't it? I recall only few back breakers but rest all were 3rd Gear type speedbreakers with flat surface.

Thanks again for your inputs. Helps much to plan my next one soon .

Thanks sir, glad to be of help. Goanddude, sorry I can't double quote on my iPhone.

Since I joined the Goa highway at Ramnagara, I don't know if the Ramanagara-Hubli section is as good as the new one post Ramnagara, but from my last trip to Goa in May 2015, it was excellent till Ramanagara all the way from Hubli.

Now Ramnagara till about few Kms post the castle rock turnoff is excellent. Freshly laid Tarmac and you can do great speeds here.

Just before Anmod Checkpost the old road shows up again, bumpy and patchy. Some sections work is on in full swing, so hopefully should be done by end of summer. The bumpy and patchy section extends all the way to the Goa border, post which the road turns brilliant all the way till Panaji. (Some road widening works are on in full swing on Panaji outer).

This might be the standard route but it doesn't come close to the experience that is Chorla. My preference is always Chorla. The ghat road is absolutely fantastic, the viewpoints are breathtaking. a tad narrow but purely a driver's dream. Had to drop a friend at Belgaum, so can't comment about the Jamboti-Khanapur section, but Jamboti Belgaum is just awesome.

The speedbreakers If I remember correctly come b/w the stretch of Hubli and Ramnagara. Some of them near the villages are pretty steep in that if you approach them with speed, your vehicle might take some significant damage.

Would I do this route again even if the standard route is tip-top?!?! A big YES. Chorla anyday for me.

drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 11:57   #3424
BHPian

Hi I'm planning to drive down from Chennai to Goa next weekend on 19th March in my Maruti SX4, 2009 model along with my wife and my dog . I'm aware it's a slight long distance to be covered in a day.. But then there is a time constraint.. Any valuable advice regarding route planning, any minute details will be deeply appreciated.. I plan to start the journey at 0400 hrs.. Thanks in advance
Old 9th March 2016, 12:55   #3425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Cruiser View Post
Hi I'm planning to drive down from Chennai to Goa next weekend on 19th March in my Maruti SX4, 2009 model along with my wife and my dog . I'm aware it's a slight long distance to be covered in a day.. But then there is a time constraint.. Any valuable advice regarding route planning, any minute details will be deeply appreciated.. I plan to start the journey at 0400 hrs.. Thanks in advance
  • Take NICE Road from Electronics City all the way till Tumkur Road (This will be 30-35 minutes affair) & It will help you bypass Bangalore completely

• Total time required from NICE Exit (Tumkur Road) to Goa will be an easy 10 Hours given the fact that you would have already driven from Chennai and it won't be super early morning that you average speeds can be higher due to less activity on roads

• With a 4-00am start from Chennai budget 5 hours for Electronics City. Add another 10 hours to this for Goa if you are driving in a single stretch without an overnight halt

• Assuming you cross Bangalore at 0900am, you should ideally plan your breakfast around Shoolagiri and then stop for Lunch at Davanagere at Apoorva Resorts before the bypass.

• For refueling options between Bangalore and Hubli along with break points, refer to this post that has Googlemap locations

• Also, please tell us about your final destination in Goa. This will help us give you the right route too as there are multiple options to reach Goa based on where you need to reach there

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th March 2016 at 12:58.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 09:22   #3426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just before Anmod Checkpost the old road shows up again, bumpy and patchy. Some sections work is on in full swing, so hopefully should be done by end of summer. The bumpy and patchy section extends all the way to the Goa border, post which the road turns brilliant all the way till Panaji. (Some road widening works are on in full swing on Panaji outer).
Hi,

I will be traveling to Goa with three more friends in Santro. Just curious if I can take this bumpy and patchy section in a Santro? Looks like this is ideal road for me for south Goa destination. Of course there is one more month to travel so expecting only better road conditions.

Regards
Old 10th March 2016, 09:43   #3427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi,

I will be traveling to Goa with three more friends in Santro. Just curious if I can take this bumpy and patchy section in a Santro? Looks like this is ideal road for me for south Goa destination. Of course there is one more month to travel so expecting only better road conditions.

Regards
With the update that doc has given, you can take this route. I am sure in a month's time the state will improve further.

I am most likely driving within the next to 2 weekends and will precisely take this route and update the conditions once I am back.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 18:54   #3428
Senior - BHPian

A quick update. Left Bangalore, CV Raman Nagar, on 10th morning at 5:15 and got stuck in the Yeshwantpur area traffic jam for 15 mins. Stopped at VRL, 198 from home, just before C'durga for breakfast (20 min break, upma not good, Idlis/vadas good) turned off after Bunkapur toll at 357 kms from home at 10:08. Passed Mundgod on the way to Yellapur. This road is 70 kms, one bad patch of 1.5 kms, but rest of the road is good surface, but narrow and small speed breakers at every village, so you had to go slow when passing a vehicle and the shoulders are steep. But there is hardly any traffic. Reached Yellapur to my favorite place for lunch, Kuber Restaurant, at 11:39. Then continued on NH 63 which has been patched up on the ghat section but good road otherwise. Reached Zuri Whitesands at 15:30 covering a distrance of 595 kms overall. 357 of 4 lane in 5 hours and 240 kms of 2 lane in 5:20.

Must report major 4 laning work on NH17 Cochin Goa road all the way from Ankola to the Goa border. Inside Goa work is also on, but less. Fortunately the old NH17 road is still fine, but how long this lasts is questionable. Remember the NH4 while 4 laning was in progress?
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 09:42   #3429
Senior - BHPian

Just to add to the above. I returned yesterday via same route and have to add that the condition of NH4 has deteriorated a lot between Bankapur and Chitradurga with undulations and the raised centre between the truck wheel tracks.

Add to this are a number of horrid speed breakers from Devangere to Chitradurga. Numerous small rumbling strips at every small intersection.

So as a rule of thumb one can safely plan this trip keeping 5 hours Bangalore to Bankapur, 1 1/2 hour to B'pur to Yellapur and 3 hoursYellapur to South Goa.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 09:31   #3430
Senior - BHPian

Hi Goandude,

Could you please tell me where exactly to take left from NH-4 for the Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur road? Have never tried this road and from your explanation it looks very tempting.

Regards
Old 15th March 2016, 09:49   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Goandude,

Could you please tell me where exactly to take left from NH-4 for the Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur road? Have never tried this road and from your explanation it looks very tempting.

Regards
The turn off is exactly after the bankapur toll booth. The road is smooth but narrow and has a few unmarked speed breakers. However the time saved is worth it.
Old 15th March 2016, 09:53   #3432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Goandude,

Regards
Rajiv, Read the last few pages on this thread. This is a common road now for many who want to take the Yallapura - Ankola - Karwar road to Enter Goa.

I have done this multiple times too and it is indeed a time saver (along with distance) as against Hubli - Kalhatgi - Yellapura.

The point where you turn left if soon after the Bankapura Toll booth (70 INR).

Look this URL.

Your reference point is Bankapura Toll booth where you pay 70 INR for a car. Starting from Bangalore (20 Rs Toll at Nelemangala), this is the 6th Toll gate that you will pass.

Soon after the toll booth, there is a Dhaba named Delhi Darbar and exactly after this a left leads towards Mungod.

Once you turn left here, feed your destination on the navigation system and ensure to check that the route is passing via Mungod & Yellapura before Ankola and Karwar. This basic check will ensure you don't end up taking a wrong route.

You can read my entire route update here on this post.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th March 2016 at 09:57.
Old 15th March 2016, 16:29   #3433
BHPian

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Hi Goandude,

Regards

Simple, at the Bankapur toll, pay the toll, take the immediate left, you will see Delhi Durbar dhaba (a huge one-can't miss) on your left.

You will go through Bankapur town.

Continue on this road for approx 3-4 Kms till you get a Y-junction.

Left leads to Pala->Hangal->Sirsi
Right leads to Mundgod->Yellapur.

Take RIGHT at this junction

Once you enter Mundgod town, the two big landmarks are Mundgod theatre and Mundgod police station. These are on your left, you will get a junction soon after

Left takes you to Pala->Malgi->Sirsi
Right takes you to Tadas->Hubli

NO TURNS here, continue Straight

Continue straight, you will cross a lake on your right hand side. Another Y-junction immediately after the lake.

Left takes you to Gunjavati->Yellapur
Right takes you to Kalghatgi

Take the LEFT here to join NH63 at Yellapur.

Road is good throughout, a little narrow but sparse traffic. Watch out for speedbreakers, some unmarked that can catch you suddenly.

Regards,
Aniketh

Last edited by drhoneycake : 15th March 2016 at 16:31.
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 11:59   #3434
BHPian

Hi All

I have booked 4 nights in Candolim (Radisson) from March 27-31. I will be driving my Verna.

Last year I did the trip on the route Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Panjim. The section between Ramnagar to Anmod was in a bad shape. But it was manageable.

With the updates on the routes in the last few pages, I am a little confused, which route to take this time. Kindly advice the best option with respect to 'latest' road condition
Option 1: Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Panjim - Candolim
Option 2: Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Khanapur - Anmod - Panjim - Candolim
Option 3: Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Khanapur - Chorla - Candolim

Note: I am ok to not have great views on the drive. Priority is to complete the drive via the quickest option on my Verna. Please advice.
Old 16th March 2016, 12:48   #3435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Hi All

I have booked 4 nights in Candolim (Radisson) from March 27-31. I will be driving my Verna.

Last year I did the trip on the route Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Panjim. The section between Ramnagar to Anmod was in a bad shape. But it was manageable.

With the updates on the routes in the last few pages, I am a little confused, which route to take this time. Kindly advice the best option with respect to 'latest' road condition
Option 1: Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Panjim - Candolim
Option 2: Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Khanapur - Anmod - Panjim - Candolim
Option 3: Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Khanapur - Chorla - Candolim

Note: I am ok to not have great views on the drive. Priority is to complete the drive via the quickest option on my Verna. Please advice.
Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Candolim
Bangalore - Hubli - MK Hubli - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Candolim
Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Candolim

This essentially means, you will take CHORLA for Candolim. The best and preferred as your destination is Candolim.

However, between the 3, I would say all of them would more of less take the same time except that passing Belgaum would consume some additional time but make way for break points inside the city too.

In terms of road conditions, the cleanest will be via Belgaum with no bad patches end to end.

Khanapur via Alnavar or via MK Hubli ? Both are equally good, the former (via Alnavar) has Railway crossings that via MK Hubli will not.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th March 2016 at 13:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks