Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2016, 18:18   #3586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivendra2111 View Post
I will be doing a trip to South goa( Patnem beach) from Bangalore ( Indiranagar) tomorrow morning. I am planning to start at 4:00am and would like to reach before sunset as full family will be there with small baby.

I am not sure of which route to take for onward jounery ( on 13th August) and return jouney on Monday ( 15th August). Any suggestions are welcome.

I have done a lot of trips from Pune when i have always taken the chorla route. This will be the first time from Bangalore.
2 Options for you.
1. Via Hubli Kalhatgi Yellapura Ankola Karwar
2. Via Hubli Alnavar Ramnagar Anmod Miller

Both roads are ideal to reach South Goa. With family/Kids, stick to any of these 2 straightforward options.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 18:28   #3587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivendra2111 View Post
I will be doing a trip to South goa( Patnem beach) from Bangalore ( Indiranagar) tomorrow morning. I am planning to start at 4:00am and would like to reach before sunset as full family will be there with small baby.
Hey Shivendra2111, I too am leaving from Bangalore (Frazer Town) at around 4:00am tomorrow. I'm going via the Hubli Alnavar Ramnagar Anmod Ponda route. Did the same trip last week but left at 5am and was in Dona Paula by 1:30. Though I didn't stop on the way. Even if you opt for the Hubli Yellapura Ankola Karwar route, you should still reach by 4 driving leisurely and stopping for meals. The last time I did that route in May, it took about 9 - 10 hours, though even then I drove straight through to Dona Paula.

Wave if you pass me on the way
I'll be in a Grey Polo GT TSI with dirty wheels.
Crhysis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 21:04   #3588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post

I am starting from yelahanka at 4 am. Will be driving silver ciaz vdi+. After all discussion have decided to take Hubli- Ramnagar- Anmod route. Happy journey Crhysis and shivendra2111. Will wave in case we spot you Cryhsis
DAART is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 21:13   #3589
BHPian

Crhysis, I was planning to do the same route tomorrow, leaving early morning. Unfortunately, due to Dad's work commitments, we have had to postpone the trip.
Now looking at leaving a bit later tomorrow and taking a halt at Belgaum.

Would like to know about the route from Belgaum to Goa via Chorla, especially the connecting road upto Jamboti. Hope someone has a heads-up on the road conditions.

P.S : Was looking forward to seeing some BHPian cars on the way, going by this thread.
Old 13th August 2016, 00:17   #3590

Quote:
Thanks @Crhysis I will be in Grep Polo TSI as well (with clean wheels). Will wave if pass you by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
2 Options for you.
2. Via Hubli Alnavar Ramnagar Anmod Miller

Both roads are ideal to reach South Goa. With family/Kids, stick to any of these 2 straightforward options.

Thanks @paragsachania. I will be taking the route 1 Via Hubli Kalhatgi Yellapura Ankola Karwar. Will take the Anmod route in the return leg.

Last edited by ampere : 13th August 2016 at 08:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 13th August 2016, 07:55   #3591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
I am starting from yelahanka at 4 am. Will be driving silver ciaz vdi+. After all discussion have decided to take Hubli- Ramnagar- Anmod route. Happy journey Crhysis and shivendra2111. Will wave in case we spot you Cryhsis
Was that you after Tumkur till the next toll just before 6am?
Old 13th August 2016, 12:17   #3592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Crhysis, I was planning to do the same route tomorrow, leaving early morning. Unfortunately, due to Dad's work commitments, we have had to postpone the trip.
Now looking at leaving a bit later tomorrow and taking a halt at Belgaum.

Would like to know about the route from Belgaum to Goa via Chorla, especially the connecting road upto Jamboti. Hope someone has a heads-up on the road conditions.

P.S : Was looking forward to seeing some BHPian cars on the way, going by this thread.
What is your specific destination in Goa ?? If it is Ponda /Madgaon / South Goa beaches take Belgaum--NH4A via Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod ghat-Mollem toll--Ponda bypass - Madgaon /South Goa. Can confirm this is a very good route with wide 2 lanes all through.

If it is Mapusa / Panjim or North Goa beaches, take Belgaum--Chorla ghat--Keri toll--Sanquelim--left turn at T-junction--Bicholim--Assnora--Mapusa. T-junction is crucial, a sign board is placed there which will help you apart from assistance from Google maps. Left turn for Mapusa ; Right turn for Panjim via Amona bridge-Marcel-Banastarim junction-Ribander bypass. This route too has very good roads despite being 3.5 years old. Belgaum -- until Malaprabha river bridge - 17 kms ( just before Jamboti village ) is a wide 2 lane ; then on it's a narrow 1.5 lane road all through till Sanquelim and beyond in Goa.

On Chorla route, you are more likely to see BHPians from Mumbai/Pune/Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
2 Options for you.
Has the Bankapur--Mundgod--Yellapur route gone bad in these rains, thus the reason to route via Hubli ? Or because it is first time for him on this route with a baby in tow ?

Until recently it was Bangalore--Bankapur--Mundgod--Yellapur--Arebail ghat--Balegoli cross,Ankola--NH17--Karwar--Patnem / Palolem. ( P.S - I have never done Bankapur--Yellapur direct route myself )
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 13:33   #3593
BHPian

Thanks, vivek95 for the detailed description. My destination is Panjim. So it'll be advisable to take the Chorla route as you mentioned.
Old 13th August 2016, 18:25   #3594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Has the Bankapur--Mundgod--Yellapur route gone bad in these rains, thus the reason to route via Hubli ? Or because it is first time for him on this route with a baby in tow ?
Exactly the reason.

Until recently it was Bangalore--Bankapur--Mundgod--Yellapur--Arebail ghat--Balegoli cross,Ankola--NH17--Karwar--Patnem / Palolem. ( P.S - I have never done Bankapur--Yellapur direct route myself )[/quote]And then, if you flip by few pages, I have always been suggesting Bankapura - Mungod - Yellapura instead of the longer detour. I will any day prefer this to the option of driving all the way to Hubli.

It is only because these routes for a first timer can be confusing and not each one would come back with positive experience - More so because of the narrow sections after Mumgod till Yellapura and the fact that the route is not really straightforward for a first timer.

Now if there is someone who says "I have always been doing Goa via Hubli - Kalhatgi - Yellapura - Ankola", I will strongly advise the alternate that is no only peaceful but faster as well .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 15:19   #3595
BHPian

Quote:
Was that you after Tumkur till the next toll just before 6am?
Yes Crhysis that could have been me. I was there at Tumkur around the same time. Hope you are having a great trip!

We enjoyed the scenic route via Anmod ghats. Planning to take the same route for return trip as well as the roads are pretty good except for 4 lane construction near Ponda and Panjim. That is of course negligible. We reached in 10 hours with sufficient breaks.
Old 24th August 2016, 17:26   #3596
BHPian

I will be driving to Goa this weekend. Will be taking NH48 and SH34. How are the road conditions keeping in mind the rains?
Old 24th August 2016, 21:47   #3597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
I will be driving to Goa this weekend. Will be taking NH48 and SH34. How are the road conditions keeping in mind the rains?
I am going to be driving to Goa this weekend too. This is the route I have chosen based on the knowledge shared on this thread. I am planning to take Bangalore -> Hubbali -> Dharwad -> Anmod -> Varca, Goa while going and Goa -> Karwar -> Ankola -> Yellapur -> Bankapur -> Bangalore on the way back. Does this sound doable? I will be driving in an Octavia 1.8 TSI.
phreakv6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 22:52   #3598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
By SH34, do you mean the route via Dandeli-Joida-Karwar? I do not know the conditions on this route, but I would suggest you take NH52 via Yellapur-Ankola to Karwar. Alternately, Dharwad-Anmod and Belgaum-Chorla routes are in very good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
I am going to be driving to Goa this weekend too. This is the route I have chosen based on the knowledge shared on this thread. I am planning to take Bangalore -> Hubbali -> Dharwad -> Anmod -> Varca, Goa while going and Goa -> Karwar -> Ankola -> Yellapur -> Bankapur -> Bangalore on the way back. Does this sound doable? I will be driving in an Octavia 1.8 TSI.
Did the first route on the 15th August weekend. Roads are very good throughout. BLR-Hubli the usual NH4. Super smooth upto Chitradurga. Good from there till around Ranebennur. Ranebennur to Hubli, the road has developed way too many undulations(been this way for over a year now), not advisable to do 100+ kph on this patch.
Hubli-Anmod is a beautiful single carriageway, with sweeping bends, going through forests - a driver's delight! Look out for speed breakers around villages.
Anmod Ghat is well-tarred 2 lane as well, although a tad bit narrow. Nothing to worry though. You'll really enjoy the Octavia's dynamics through the twisties!

I do not know about the road conditions for Ponda-Varca, but judging by Goa's road standards, it shouldn't prove to be much of a problem.

Drive Safe. Cheers!

P.S. : Wonderful Enthusiast's car you got there!
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 10:05   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
For the onwards journey I have planned the same route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
By SH34, do you mean the route via Dandeli-Joida-Karwar?
I mean this route.
Old 25th August 2016, 11:36   #3600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to be driving to Goa this weekend too. I will be driving in an Octavia 1.8 TSI.
phreakv6,

Am planning similarly with my Octavia TSI either weekend of 3/9 or 10/9. Do post how your overall trip went including road conditions and time taken.

You can also post any 'unique' Octavia TSI tips as well.

Last time we did Goa, we took Chorla and the overall experience was superb. This time we are yet to freeze whether its south or north Goa. Once that is done, I will plan the route based on recent experiences from you, Parag and others.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed