Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2016, 12:51   #3721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Do I need to take the following route?

Mahadevpura (Bangalore) - Tumkur - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - Londa - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Kesarvale - Vascodagama
Precisely the route which means you will be taking the Anmod Ghat route.

Quote:
2) I need suggestions for good restaurants for breakfast and lunch.
Please refer to this post for a complete list of eateries.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3828255

Quote:
3) Is return route same as the onward?
Yes and its pretty straightforward too to merge back to Pune-Bangalore highway on return as well.

Quote:
4) I am planning for a 9 AM start from Vascodogama. Any pointers for good restaurants for lunch and dinner?
Again refer to that post above. It has Googlemap locations as well.

Quote:
5) Any other precautions/suggestions would be of great help.
Speed Interceptors nearing Davanagere - One near the Medical college and one more at Shamanur exit.

So after you cross Chitradurga and pay the next toll, drive between 80-90 KMPH till you pay at the next toll after Davanagere. Essentially, you need to drive at this speed for around 40+ kms.

With a 7AM start, it will be 6 hours when its lunch time (1PM) and I presume, this Kamat will be just ideal for the same. Around 385 kms from Bangalore and on the right side but with a well designed break in the median to get to the other side.

On return, since you will start from Vasco at 9AM, you may again have lunch at the same location and dinner at Tumkur or Dabaspet where there are plenty of options:

And here's a list of all CCDs that you will encounter on both sides between Sira and Dharwad Turn off for Alnavar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So, keeping only the Sira - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Hubli - Dharwad Sector in mind, which is a distance of approximately 320 Kms, here are the Cafe Coffee Day outlets that should help travelers immensely from cleaner rest room perspective:
  1. Cafe Coffee Day - Before Sira Bypass, Pune-Bangalore corridor, 125 kms before Bangalore - Location

2. Cafe Coffee Day - Before Davanagere Bypass, Bangalore-Pune corridor, 265 kms from Bangalore - Location

3. Cafe Coffee Day - Between Motebennur & Ranebennur, Pune-Bangalore corridor, 315 kms before Bangalore - Location

4. Cafe Coffee Day - Shiggaon, Bangalore - Pune corridor, 360 Kms from Bangalore - Location

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th December 2016 at 13:06.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 17:17   #3722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So after you cross Chitradurga and pay the next toll, drive between 80-90 KMPH till you pay at the next toll after Davanagere. Essentially, you need to drive at this speed for around 40+ kms.
It will be safe to be below 80 only in this area. I had got ticket at 85 two years ago in the same area (Looks like you may get a ticket even at 81 if they do not meet their daily numbers). They asked for Rs. 500/- but I strongly asked for receipt and they asked for all documents. After giving me receipt they returned Rs. 200/- back to me . Of course the official fine is Rs. 300/- (don't know the current number but if it is more they may ask for even bigger amount at first place).

They caught another driver and did the same in front of me. That guy paid 500/- and vanished. No receipt business at all.

Be safe...

Regards

Last edited by rajivtelang : 9th December 2016 at 17:23.
rajivtelang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 17:24   #3723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
It will be safe to be below 80 only in this area. I had got ticket at 85 two years ago in the same area.
If they caught you at 85, I am sure your speedo needle would be pointing near 90 or north of that . I have mostly seen them not bother if you are between 80-90.

I have rarely passed then chaps as I cross Davanagere much before its 8:00 but have spotted them doing brisk "Business" during return.

Now with changing of tires in my Ertiga to 195-65 Profile, my Speedometer speeds are 99% closer to True GPS speed and I need to be really careful if I pass them next time.
Old 11th December 2016, 20:38   #3724
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I was looking for information on the Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta route.
After a search on the forum yielded much older threads that are inactive for 2+ years, decided to give it a shot on this thread

So, how is the SH 2 section of Haveri-Akki Alur-Yekkambi-Sirsi, followed by SH 69 section of Sirsi-Ammenalli-junction of NH 66 (Old NH 17) and then heading to Kumta. This would be about 20-30 Km more than the Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavara route but Bangalore-Haveri on NH 48 (old NH 4) would be a much better drive so I was wondering how Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta road conditions are.

Last edited by NPV : 11th December 2016 at 20:43.
Old 11th December 2016, 20:49   #3725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After a search on the forum yielded much older threads that are inactive for 2+ years, decided to give it a shot on this thread
I am not sure so have pinged DrHoneycake to respond as he hails from Sirsi. Let us see if he can throw some light on this section.
Old 11th December 2016, 21:58   #3726
BHPian

Quote:

So, how is the SH 2 section of Haveri-Akki Alur-Yekkambi-Sirsi, followed by SH 69 section of Sirsi-Ammenalli-junction of NH 66 (Old NH 17) and then heading to Kumta. This would be about 20-30 Km more than the Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavara route but Bangalore-Haveri on NH 48 (old NH 4) would be a much better drive so I was wondering how Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta road conditions are.

Hi NPV, Parag sir pinged me, so here's my 2 cents on this route as I travel quite often here:-

1) Shimoga-Sagar is a 2-lane NH206, this section sees loads of traffic, roads are pretty good except at the railway crossings and at Ayyanur and Anandapuram. Certain sections are broken. Overall roads range from decent to patchy-bumpy
(Sorry not able to find my pics for this road)

2) Sagar-Honnavar via Talguppa: terrible roads, the ghats have craters and road becomes good after Gerusoppa nearing Honnavar
(Sorry not able to find my pics for this road)

3) Haveri to Akki-Alur is fabulous, one of the best state highways ever just watch out for massive rumblers every 2 kms and at every town.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1481472816.730136.jpg

4) Akki-Alur to Sirsi is a good state highway albeit quite narrow. Quite a bit of traffic. Uptill Yekkambi is fine. Watch out for small humps near the villages. Road gets quite rough after Yekkambi all the way till the college road junction (Sirsi) but not anything that you can't manage. I manage with a low slung sedan with quite a bit of low profile tyres (55 profile), so shouldn't be much of an issue.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1481472979.444249.jpg
This is the road condition from Akki Alur to Yekkambi

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1481473248.891032.jpg
This is the road condition post Isloor after the Hubli Road joins in

5) Sirsi Kumta is excellent all the way through. There were some rough patches near Bandal village which have been patched up neatly. One perfectly straight section near Katgal is quite rough, but no potholes. Watch out for maniac NWKRTC buses here. Devimane ghat is 8 kms and is completely laid with concrete
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1481473418.010806.jpg
Devimane ghat

This route is much faster. I'm from Sirsi and my in laws are from Honnavar and every time I goto Honnavar I use Bangalore-Haveri- Sirsi-Kumta-Honnavar. Takes 8 hrs with sedate driving. The shimoga route will easily take 9.5 to 10 hrs not to mention the amount of abuse your vehicle will go through on this route.

Feel free to pm me incase you need more details.

These are the road conditions as off Nov 28 when I returned from Honnavar to Bangalore

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2016 at 10:28.
drhoneycake is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 09:00   #3727
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
here's my 2 cents on this route as I travel quite often here:-
These are the road conditions as off Nov 28 when I returned from Honnavar to Bangalore
Thanks so much, you're grossly undervaluing the worth of your superb update, no way it can be just 2 cents

So is this plan doable ?
Onward: Blr-Idagunji-Murudeshwara
(need to check Murudeshwara temple timings to reach there when it is open)
Then drive to Kumta, stay overnight.

Return: Kumta-Gokarna-Yana-Blr (with this plan return will again be via Sirsi-Haveri)

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2016 at 10:13.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 21:12   #3728
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much, you're grossly undervaluing the worth of your superb update, no way it can be just 2 cents

So is this plan doable ?
Onward: Blr-Idagunji-Murudeshwara
(need to check Murudeshwara temple timings to reach there when it is open)
Then drive to Kumta, stay overnight.

Return: Kumta-Gokarna-Yana-Blr (with this plan return will again be via Sirsi-Haveri)

Haha your welcome.

Anyways, Murudeshwara temple is open uptill 8:30 pm (last week of November info) in the night. Also if you're planning to visit Gokarna, no point staying in Kumta, driving to Gokarna and then back again via Kumta towards Sirsi on the return.

For the first day you can visit Idagunji Temple and halt at Murudeshwara. Naveen Beach resort is good, they have a good outdoor restaurant too. Kamat Yathrinivas (right in front of the temple is decent too)

Second day drive up north via Honnavar (Visit Apsarkonda beach and waterfalls. Believe me this is an awesome beach, just behind my inlaws place), head up to Kumta. If you want some good sea food and not travelling with family, there's a small miltry hotel type place right next to Pandurang International hotel. Serves some delicious sea food and light on the pocket too.

If you have decided to stay in Kumta, Pandurang International is the place I would suggest. Great rooms. Also Kamat Executive inn in Honnavar (both on the highway).

Continue driving North, just after Kumta, you get a place called Mirjan, visit the fort there, nice place. Post that drive up to Gokarna and chill out at Namaste Cafe.

There is a hotel after the checkpost in Gokarna town where you need to take a left to head to Om beach. Good place to stay. Don't remember the name of the place. If you want something closer to the beach, hit the Namaste Cafe. Lovely rooms. Madangeri town is where you need to take a left to get into Gokarna from NH17. Beware of a shady BP petrol pump here. Bugger is a cheat.

Return can be Gokarna-Mirjan-Sirsi-Haveri-Bangalore. On your return from Gokarna towards Kumta, just after Mirjan town you will see a road on the left, take that to join Kumta Sirsi road. You will bypass Kumta town.

With regards to Yana. There are two ways to hit Yana. There's an entrance from the Kumta side (near Katgal village). This will require you to deviate from the highway about 15 kms. There's a car park here. Park and then trek for a good 2 kms. Will be very tiring, so do plan it well since you are going to be driving all the way to Bangalore after this.

The other entrance is from Sirsi side. You will deviate from the highway (Near Amenhalli village) and drive towards Yana 25 kms, but here roads are better and cars can now go almost till Yana. You will still need to trek about 500 mts.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP

Last edited by ampere : 13th December 2016 at 15:47. Reason: Fixed smilie
drhoneycake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 10:45   #3729
BHPian

Did Blr - Goa on 7th Dec via Anmod Ghat. One can just switch on google maps and enjoy the drive. Absolutely butter smooth road.

Food joints have already been meticulously compiled by Parag, i would just add Hotel Hill View which will come on your right side once you have taken the left turn post Hubli and are on SH. Roughly about 20 minutes once you are in SH. No good place after this till you reach Goa.

Also, only 2 petrol pumps at the start of SH in case you are low on fuel while entering SH
KD007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 15:18   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Did Blr - Goa on 7th Dec via Anmod Ghat. One can just switch on google maps and enjoy the drive. Absolutely butter smooth road.
Thanks a lot KD007.

Traveling to Goa this weekend. Your feedback on Google Map Route, via Anmod, helps me to make a decision between the available options (via Khanapur-Jamboti, via Belgaum-Panaji), so will stick to google as it shows lesser time via Anmod! What was your returning route ? Total time taken for to and fro ?

Also, I think there was one Resort (don't remember the name, may be Dudhsagar Resort not sure though), somewhere in the middle of ghats. But as per your remark there is none in the way. other than Hotel Hill View ?

May be Parag Bhai can chime-in.

Note from Support: Please dont type like.... this....

Last edited by Eddy : 13th December 2016 at 22:49. Reason: Dotty Post
Old 13th December 2016, 15:26   #3731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
Also, I remember there was one Resort(don't remember the name, may be Dudhsagar Resort not sure...though), somewhere in the middle of ghats. But as per your remark there is none in the way...other than Hotel Hill View..?

May be Parag Bhai can chime-in.....
If I have mentioned any "Resort" on the Anmod Ghat route, its got to Dudhsagar Resorts. This will come right before the Entry Toll for Goa.

If It is Chorla, I may have at multiple times mentioned "Wildernest" which is before Chorla Ghats.

All in all, take the Anmod route - After repairs an year before, this is always the fastest (and shortest) route as well. After all, its not for any other reasons that this road is since decades known as "Goa Road"
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 22:15   #3732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
Thanks a lot KD007.

Traveling to Goa this weekend. Your feedback on Google Map Route, via Anmod, helps me to make a decision between the available options (via Khanapur-Jamboti, via Belgaum-Panaji), so will stick to google as it shows lesser time via Anmod! What was your returning route ? Total time taken for to and fro ?

Also, I think there was one Resort (don't remember the name, may be Dudhsagar Resort not sure though), somewhere in the middle of ghats. But as per your remark there is none in the way. other than Hotel Hill View ?

May be Parag Bhai can chime-in.

Please dont type like.... this....
Parag already answered your query. What I meant was on the Ghat there is nothing to eat except at starting point till the time you reach Goa.

In terms of timings, for south Goa 8 hours ( Hotel Hyatt forgot the beach name ) and north Goa 10 hours (Baga beach)
KD007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 16:04   #3733
BHPian

I have plans to drive to North Goa on the 26th Jan 2017. I want to cover Dudhsagar falls en-route.

After reading the latest posts I have understood that it OK to take Anmode route (Bangalore-Dharwad-Anmod-Ponda-Panjim-Calangute). The Road seems to be fastest.
I expect it to be bit hectic as we might have to budget atleast 4 hrs extra for the Dudhsagar detour. Is it advisable to start on 25th Afternoon ( 4PM) from Bangalore and halt at Davangiri/Hubli/ Dharwad then proceed to Dudhsagar and Goa on 26th morning ?

Any recommended budget accommodation in Davangiri/Hubli /Dharwad/. ( Safety & Cleanliness is the priority)

Is it possible to hire a jeep at Kulem to visit dudhsagar ?In another thread threads I read that its illegal to go to Dudhsagar.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3757696

The other option is to drop Dudhsagar and drive directly to Goa.

There are enough information on the eating joints (Thanks Parag Bhai) I'll pick them as per the plan.
Old 14th December 2016, 16:55   #3734
BHPian

Hubli accommodation - Hotel Dhammanagi Comforts near bus stand. About 2000 for an ac room. Breakfast included which will be just okay. Stayed there with mom on a Pune Bhpian recommendation. Was worth it.
KD007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 10:38   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansumaan View Post
Is it advisable to start on 25th Afternoon ( 4PM) from Bangalore and halt at Davangiri/Hubli/ Dharwad then proceed to Dudhsagar and Goa on 26th morning ?

Is it possible to hire a jeep at Kulem to visit dudhsagar ?In another thread threads I read that its illegal to go to Dudhsagar.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3757696

The other option is to drop Dudhsagar and drive directly to Goa.
Yes, you can start at 4pm from Bangalore and stay put for a night in Hubli. Next day, you can start as early as 4 a.m and make it to Kulem railway station by 6 to 6.30 a.m max. As per an official news on TOI, tourist season has started at Dudhsagar and one should be able to hire a jeep ( authorised by forest dept.) from Kulem railway station taxi stand. The thing is that, you need to reach Kulem as early as possible as the number of jeeps and tourists per day is restricted. Hence the reason to suggest you a 4 a.m start from Hubli. Unfortunately, there is no provision for booking online.

It is now illegal to trek on the rail tracks to visit Dudhsagar, not only during monsoons but throughout the year. The only legal way of visiting Dudhsagar is by hiring govt authorised jeeps which operate only between October to February or so.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks