Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2017, 07:25   #3826
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Thanks a lot for your response. I would also like to take the relatively easy ghat route ( less twisty, broader , shorter ghat section etc) at the cost of travelling few kms more in the plains. Considering this would it still be a good choice to follow the route you suggested ?
Between Chorla and Anmod, Anmod is easier as its wider and has less sharper curves as compared to Chorla.

So with that in mind, you can take a call.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 21:12   #3827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So with that in mind, you can take a call.
I had been to Goa (Uttorda - South Goa) last week. I took the Hubli-Ramnagar-Anmod route. The roads are in very good condition and Hubli-Goa (Uttorda) is easily doable in about 3.5 hours. The ghat section is about 13 Kms and maneuvering is not a problem at all

Regards,

Samish.
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 19:29   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I have not heard anything big on the 4-lane construction in Karwar stretch. I believe you can safely stick to Blore-Hubli-Yellapur (not Bankapur)-Karwar-Canacona.

If I were you, I would still wait for other people to update the latest on the road widening status and related tales (just to be sure).
Thanks. Did the said trip, 22nd march onward & 29th march return, via BLR-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Canacona & reverse respectively, hereby the updates. Whoa! what a condition the Hubli-Yellapur-ankola stretch currently is, being seemingly most of it relaid recently, i virtually never came below 100-120Km/Hr speedometer range in this stretch, though was also lucky with sparse traffic.

One observation/opinion here, with respect to Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur Vs Bankapur-Hubli-Yellapur, with both Bankpur-Hubli and Hubli-Yellapur stretches being doable at 100-120Km/Hr currently, probably makes Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur shortcut tad less preferable presently(though I have never done Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur, to evaluate/judge/say this with conviction).

Regarding 4-laning of Ankola-Karwar-GoaBorder stretch, 4-laning is competed in sections, and work/completion is at different progressed stages in rest of the sections. Although, wherever it is, one side of the road is always open for traffic with not so hindering diversions, it hardly affects the average speed.

Tried the (relatively) new Kamat(here) at Chattra between Motebennur & Ranebennur for lunch during return, and I tend to say it was worst experience I had at any Kamat, in terms of tasteless/un-passable food and unsatisfactory service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
For the pit stop I was expecting someplace with rest rooms as I would be travelling with my family.
For the desired type, you have options of Dudhsagar Spa Resort and Hill View Restaurant in that stretch.

Last edited by Throtttle : 9th April 2017 at 19:38.
Throtttle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 21:57   #3829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
One observation/opinion here, with respect to Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur Vs Bankapur-Hubli-Yellapur, with both Bankpur-Hubli and Hubli-Yellapur stretches being doable at 100-120Km/Hr currently, probably makes Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur shortcut tad less preferable presently(though I have never done Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur, to evaluate/judge/say this with conviction).
Here's the comparison, done more than year back.

Quote:
The Mungod Route:

It is indeed a time saver. Sample this, we turned right at Yellapura exactly at 1522 Hours by the clock and hit NH4 at Shiggaon at 1630 Hours. This is almost 70 mins with very sedate driving (say 70kmph max) as daughter was sleeping and it was a new road, narrow with few sudden turns and small speedbreakers. I don’t think if one takes Yellapura – Hubli Bypass – NH4 route, you can reach any faster to Shiggaon where we joined NH4.

The petty speedbreakers here at few villages should not bother you at all. None of these are car breakers! If you miss them, you can still pass them over without breaking a Bone or a suspension component. Anyway, you will hardly be able to do anything more than 70-80 kmph as the roads is less in wider and you will hardly get a straight stretch to belt some good speeds.

Should you take this deviation at all ?

Well, my answer would be a firm YES if you are looking for a calmer, scenic & definitely FASTER option to hit Yellapura from Bangalore.
Bottom Line:

Is Mungod option a Time Saver - Very much Yes
Is Mungod option good with family - May be not, due to lack of facilities
Is Mungod option worth trying - Indeed yes
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 20:54   #3830
BHPian

Hi Guyd! Leaving for goa Tomorrow morning 4am. Would like to know any route I should prefer. Otherwise will follow Molem Ponda.
Is choral decent and would it take same time?
Heading to calangute from HSR. Would be taking me XUV with not so new shoes.
Old 11th April 2017, 21:22   #3831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Guyd! Leaving for goa Tomorrow morning 4am. Would like to know any route I should prefer. Otherwise will follow Molem Ponda.
Is choral decent and would it take same time?
Heading to calangute from HSR. Would be taking me XUV with not so new shoes.
Please care to scroll through the last few pages. Those who have travelled recently have shared their experiences with all the routes to Goa right on this thread.

Again, for Calangute, simply take Belgaum - Chorla. It's no brainer.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th April 2017 at 21:23.
Old 11th April 2017, 22:13   #3832
BHPian

Folks, do we still have the Goa entry tax of 250/- or has it been withdrawn ?
Old 11th April 2017, 22:23   #3833
BHPian

Quote:
It is not yet withdrawn. You still have to pay entry fee. :-(
Old 15th April 2017, 17:55   #3834
BHPian

Came back from Goa recently. Did BLR-Hubli-Ramnagar-Anmod and back. Road conditions are good except some bad road surface for few kilometers around Davengere - Harihar stretch. Very bumpy surface with multiple bumps and uneven surface due to heavy truck movement and bad build quality of roads. Watch out for series of bumps which can use up the maximum level of suspension of your vehicle and throw your vehicle off its line. The right most lane is better than the other lanes in places. Other wise the Tinai Anmod stretch is super smooth and broad and easy to drive.
Old 15th April 2017, 20:17   #3835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Came back from Goa recently. Did BLR-Hubli-Ramnagar-Anmod and back. Road conditions are good except some bad road surface for few kilometers around Davengere - Harihar stretch. Very bumpy surface with multiple bumps and uneven surface due to heavy truck movement and bad build quality of roads. Watch out for series of bumps which can use up the maximum level of suspension of your vehicle and throw your vehicle off its line. The right most lane is better than the other lanes in places. Other wise the Tinai Anmod stretch is super smooth and broad and easy to drive.
Me to reached back today. Toll for the strech after Ranebennur towards Hubli is not worth the money.
Old 15th April 2017, 20:47   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Me to reached back today. Toll for the strech after Ranebennur towards Hubli is not worth the money.
Hubli--Harihar-Hubli stretch has been bumpy since day 1, courtesy poor quality constructiion of 4 lane by R.N Shetty company, but in the last 2 years it has gotten quite worse at many places. Earlier Kolhapur--Satara stretch of NH4 used to be bit bumpy ( it is supersmooth today ) but Hubli--Harihar has become more bumpy and patchy than the former. I drove from Belgaum to Hiriyur 4 days back, on my way to Hassan ( after a long time travelled towards south of Belgaum ) and had similar observations as you.
Old 25th April 2017, 15:00   #3837
BHPian

Quote:
Its not withdrawn. Word of caution, you need to retain the receipt. We were asked to produce the receipt when exiting Goa via Karwar route.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 25th April 2017, 15:32   #3838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post

I started for Goa on 14th and returned on 18th.
Bangalore (Koramangala) - Hubli - Dharwad - Ramnagar - Mollem - Varca (south Goa). Started at 4:30 AM and reached hotel at 2 PM including breakfast, fuel, tea/snacks, 45 minutes at Goa border checkpost. Took 9.5 hours.
On the return trip I took Varca - Karwar - Yellapur - Mungod - Bankapur - Bangalore. Started from Varca at 10 AM and reached Yeswantpur at 6:15 PM including lunch and tea/snack break, Koramangala at 8:30 PM.
My friend, with whom I was travelling, started back a day early and took the Varca - Karwar - Yellapur - Hubli - Bangalore route and reached Yeswantpur at 7:15 PM and their house at Cunningham road at 8 PM.

Both vehicles are large SUV's and similar driving speeds. So I think the Yellapur - Mungod - Bankapur route did save some time. Yellapur to Bankapur is a narrow forest road but has good surface so driving 80-90 kph is comfortable. Only time to slow down is when passing a vehicle (in either direction) when both vehicles will have to put a wheel on the shoulder, and when passing through villages. But there was hardly any traffic so it was not a big issue. Just when you reach the highway at Bankapur, there is a restaurant and that is the only semi decent place for a break after leaving Karwar.

Gears,
Red-One.
RedOne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 13:50   #3839
BHPian

Route Experts,

Can somebody provide information regarding a good freshening up / rest room / breakfast halt point on the segment after exiting NH48 at Dharwad and before reaching Anmod Check Point. Alternatively on the segment after Anmod Check Point and Mollem.

We expect to cross Dharwad at around 5.00 - 5.30 a.m. and would like to take a break to use toilets/washroom and if available, finish breakfast too.
Old 11th May 2017, 17:23   #3840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I was looking for information on the Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta route.
After a search on the forum yielded much older threads that are inactive for 2+ years, decided to give it a shot on this thread

So, how is the SH 2 section of Haveri-Akki Alur-Yekkambi-Sirsi, followed by SH 69 section of Sirsi-Ammenalli-junction of NH 66 (Old NH 17) and then heading to Kumta. This would be about 20-30 Km more than the Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavara route but Bangalore-Haveri on NH 48 (old NH 4) would be a much better drive so I was wondering how Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta road conditions are.
Quote:
I am not sure so have pinged DrHoneycake to respond as he hails from Sirsi. Let us see if he can throw some light on this section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Hi NPV, Parag sir pinged me, so here's my 2 cents on this route as I travel quite often here:-
Feel free to pm me incase you need more details.
These are the road conditions as off Nov 28 when I returned from Honnavar to Bangalore
Thank you NPV, paragsachania and drhoneycake.
I did Bangalore-Murudeshwar-Gokarna-Bangalore last weekend (my first trip to Uttara Kannada district). I have posted my experiences in the " Bangalore - Murudeshwar - Gokarna : Route Queries" thread (link)

Your posts were most useful for planning and executing this trip. A big THANKS

@drhoneycake - Your earlier post says that your hometown is Sirsi and your in-laws live in Honnavar. After seeing the beauty of these places, I'm jealous of you. Apsarakonda beach left me and family speechless. When I regained speech, I must have quoted your name about 100 times to my wife's annoyance
srvm is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks