Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 11:22   #3841
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi Folks,

I am planning to visit goa during the last week of may. I will take Belgaum - chorla route while going as my hotel is in candolim.

I have one query not related to the route per se. I will be taking my cousin's XUV, do you foresee any problems due to this? Do I need to carry any other document in addition to the routine vehicle papers like, RC card, PUC , insurance etc?

During my recent trip to Munnar, I was stopped by the cops near Theni and was asked to produce above mentioned vehicle papers. Since it was my car and all the papers were in place, there were no issues. Just wanted to understand if it will be a hassle driving across states in a borrowed car. This is the first time I will be using a borrowed car on highway trip, hence this question.

Thanks.

Last edited by champ27 : 16th May 2017 at 11:30.
Old 16th May 2017, 11:31   #3842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Can somebody provide information regarding a good freshening up / rest room / breakfast halt point on the segment after exiting NH48 at Dharwad and before reaching Anmod Check Point. Alternatively on the segment after Anmod Check Point and Mollem.
Dudhsagar Spa Resort meets your requirement. Anyhow, this is the only decent option in the stretch you asked.

Last edited by ampere : 18th May 2017 at 22:33. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 16th May 2017, 14:58   #3843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Hi Folks,

I am planning to visit goa during the last week of may. I will take Belgaum - chorla route while going as my hotel is in candolim.

I will be taking my cousin's XUV, do you foresee any problems due to this? Do I need to carry any other document in addition to the routine vehicle papers like, RC card, PUC , insurance etc?
You will get a check post while entering Goa somewhere after the Chorla ghat. as your car is not GOA registered you need to pay Rs. 250 for entry. This is one time fee to enter Goa. If you return by the same route within 4 hours, the amount will be refunded to you.

Your normal documents are good enough in Goa. You shall need to carry your driving license, Registration certificate, Insurance certificate and pollution under control certificates in original. That is sufficient.
Old 17th May 2017, 13:37   #3844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
You will get a check post while entering Goa somewhere after the Chorla ghat. as your car is not GOA registered you need to pay Rs. 250 for entry. This is one time fee to enter Goa. If you return by the same route within 4 hours, the amount will be refunded to you.
Yes, I am aware of this check post.

Quote:
Your normal documents are good enough in Goa. You shall need to carry your driving license, Registration certificate, Insurance certificate and pollution under control certificates in original. That is sufficient.
Was more curious to know if anything else was required since I would be driving someone else's car. Glad to learn that no other document other than the ones mentioned above is required.
Old 17th May 2017, 15:49   #3845
BHPian

Quote:

A correction here - Chorla road getting into Goa is a state highway, so the entry fee paid at Keri toll ( at the foothills of Chorla ghat ) is NOT refundable even if you exit Goa via the same route or any other route within 4 hours.

The 4 hours refund is applicable only if you enter and exit Goa via the "tolls of National highways" which are Polem toll ( Karwar side ), Dhargal toll ( Sawantwadi side) on NH-17 and Mollem toll ( Anmod side ) on NH-4A. This has been so right from day one Goa introduced the entry fee.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 17:10   #3846
BHPian

Took the Shivmogaa - Jog Falls - Murudeshwar - Goa route and found it quite exciting. This took around 11 hrs both ways with a very leisurely 70-80 kmph in my Safari and three stops enroute.
Old 17th May 2017, 18:30   #3847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
...A correction here - Chorla road getting into Goa is a state highway, so the entry fee paid at Keri toll ( at the foothills of Chorla ghat ) is NOT refundable even if you exit Goa via the same route or any other route within 4 hours.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification Vivek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post
Took the Shivmogaa - Jog Falls - Murudeshwar - Goa route and found it quite exciting. This took around 11 hrs both ways with a very leisurely 70-80 kmph in my Safari and three stops enroute.
That's a decent route, but Honnavar to Ankola is a heavy traffic road.
An interesting alternative is after Sagar before Jog Falls take the right road towards Siddapur - Tyagli - Sirsi - Manchikeri - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa.
This route is very less traffic (at least till Yellapur) and awesome tarmac. Lots of greenery and a nice visit to Sahasralinga ( the river with thousands of stone Shiva Lingas) somewhere near Sirsi makes it a worthy route.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th May 2017 at 09:25. Reason: Back to back posts -- merging
Old 18th May 2017, 21:25   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Hi Folks,

I have one query not related to the route per se. I will be taking my cousin's XUV, do you foresee any problems due to this? Do I need to carry any other document in addition to the routine vehicle papers like, RC card, PUC ......

Thanks.
Other folks have answered this query, below is my experience.
Hours before my Goa trip in April, I found out that the cars emission certificate had expired a few days back. That was the worst night I have had before a trip thinking about all possible consequences. Checked for emission centres on route but could find any. Hence decided to travel as-is. Thanks to this thread I was aware of the traffic interceptors near Davangere hence I took it easy and an early mornings start meant no checking in Karnataka. Was worried about possible checking of KA vehicles in Goa, but didnt get to see any cops or checking squads for the 4 days I spent there. Reached Bangalore got the emission check done immediately. In short not only carry all documents, but also check for their expiry dates.
Old 1st June 2017, 12:09   #3849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting alternative is after Sagar before Jog Falls take the right road towards Siddapur - Tyagli - Sirsi - Manchikeri - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa.
Took the bangalore-hubli-yellapur-ankola-karwar-goa route 2 weeks back. The road condition was excellent in ghat section. Not sure how it will be during/post monsoon.
Old 1st June 2017, 12:34   #3850
BHPian

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Took the bangalore-hubli-yellapur-ankola-karwar-goa route 2 weeks back. The road condition was excellent in ghat section. Not sure how it will be during/post monsoon.

Hi Tbhpians,

Understand you both took the route to Goa and my requirement is slightly different, just wanted to check if my route plan is correct.

Plan is to go to Gokarna & Murudeshwar from Bangalore on the long weekend of 26th June. Since I want to enjoy the scenic beauty of the western ghats, route plan is as follows:

24th Saturday: early morning start from Bangalore - Tumkur- Jog Falls (halt for 2-3 hrs) then take sirsi - hannover- kumta. My home stay is at Kumta.

25th Sunday Morning: Gokarna beaches
25th Sunday evening: Murudeshwar ( to see the shiva statue under the flood lights)

26th Morning: leave for Bangalore (route undecided)

Reach Bangalore 26th night.

Please advise if the plan is ok and covers the most scenic routes available enroute. Want to enjoy the greenery in the rains.

Thanks. Fellow Tbhpians, would love to hear from you all. Route plan below:

Attachment 1644964

Last edited by justwheels : 1st June 2017 at 12:38.
Old 1st June 2017, 15:58   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post

Plan is to go to Gokarna & Murudeshwar from Bangalore on the long weekend of 26th June. Since I want to enjoy the scenic beauty of the western ghats, route plan is as follows:

24th Saturday: early morning start from Bangalore - Tumkur- Jog Falls (halt for 2-3 hrs) then take sirsi - hannover- kumta. My home stay is at Kumta.

25th Sunday Morning: Gokarna beaches
25th Sunday evening: Murudeshwar ( to see the shiva statue under the flood lights)

26th Morning: leave for Bangalore (route undecided)
I recently did Bangalore-Murdeshwar-Gokarna-Bangalore roundtrip (1st week of May 2017). I did not go to Jog falls. I have put my experience here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4196917). You may find it useful.

I could not open your attachment on the route plan. Can you upload again?
Also, when going from Jog falls to Kumta you dont need to go via Sirsi. Shortest route is Jog falls - Honnavar - Kumta.

On the return leg, Kumta-Sirsi (via Devimane Ghat section) was fabulous when I drove in the morning (it had rained previous night). Perhaps you could squeeze a detour to Yana as well, if time permits?
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 17:08   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
route plan is as follows:

If you take Sirsi route from Jogfalls, you don't get Honnavar. you will be taking the Ammenahalli - Devimane ghat road and directly to Kumta.
Jog - Honnavar - Kumta is a different but common and boring route. better avoided.

After sunset at Murudeshwar, if you love driving, try driving to Kundapur and try Chicken Ghee Roast at Shetty Lunch Home at Kundapur. that's a must try delicacy there. Murudeshwar to Kundapur is about 55 Kms or so, one way.

and on the return route, I suggest you - Murudeshwar - Byndoor - Kollur - Vandse - Golikatte - Someshwar - Agumbe- Koppa - Balehonnur - Aldur - Belur - Hassan- Bangalore. These are totally internal roads upto Hassan and are superb during monsoon.

Last edited by ashkamath : 1st June 2017 at 17:09. Reason: grammar mistake
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 12:44   #3853
BHPian

Guys, do you know whether Doodhsagar is accessible in June ? We've scheduled a Goa trip for June 17 weekend, and definitely want to cover Dooshsagar, either by Trek or through the Taxi union at Mollem or whichever way possible. If anyone has any information, please let me know.
Old 11th June 2017, 13:59   #3854
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Guys, do you know whether Doodhsagar is accessible in June ?
I'm not sure about June, but a friend visited last year in Oct/Nov when it had just opened up (I think for a few months access was barred).

See my earlier post here (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) for details.
Old 11th June 2017, 14:20   #3855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Guys, do you know whether Doodhsagar is accessible in June ?.
Nope. Doodhsagar is totally closed for tourists in the monsoons, opens up only from September onwards.

Most Viewed