Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 15:28   #3856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Am travelling to Goa in August but need to take Amboli route so that I can finish some work and then enter Goa from north.
Question is on safety of Amboli ghat road in rainy season. I heard about landslides and stones falling from top in this ghat quite often.
Requesting any inputs/recommendations on this route.
Old 20th June 2017, 15:59   #3857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Am travelling to Goa in August but need to take Amboli route so that I can finish some work and then enter Goa from north.
Question is on safety of Amboli ghat road in rainy season. I heard about landslides and stones falling from top in this ghat quite often.
Requesting any inputs/recommendations on this route.
We had taken Amboli during good rainy conditions last year. 100s of water falls, incessant rains and a lot of tourists.

We faced no untoward incident and we were 6 cars.

I think unless you get to know from reliable sources that the rains have blocked the highway you should just drive.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 15:34   #3858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I recently did Bangalore-Murdeshwar-Gokarna-Bangalore roundtrip (1st week of May 2017). I did not go to Jog falls. I have put my experience here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4196917). You may find it useful.

I could not open your attachment on the route plan. Can you upload again?
Also, when going from Jog falls to Kumta you dont need to go via Sirsi. Shortest route is Jog falls - Honnavar - Kumta.

On the return leg, Kumta-Sirsi (via Devimane Ghat section) was fabulous when I drove in the morning (it had rained previous night). Perhaps you could squeeze a detour to Yana as well, if time permits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
If you take Sirsi route from Jogfalls, you don't get Honnavar. you will be taking the Ammenahalli - Devimane ghat road and directly to Kumta.
Jog - Honnavar - Kumta is a different but common and boring route. better avoided.

After sunset at Murudeshwar, if you love driving, try driving to Kundapur and try Chicken Ghee Roast at Shetty Lunch Home at Kundapur. that's a must try delicacy there. Murudeshwar to Kundapur is about 55 Kms or so, one way.

and on the return route, I suggest you - Murudeshwar - Byndoor - Kollur - Vandse - Golikatte - Someshwar - Agumbe- Koppa - Balehonnur - Aldur - Belur - Hassan- Bangalore. These are totally internal roads upto Hassan and are superb during monsoon.

Apologies for a late reply. Have been busy with the office work prior to the 3 day trip as planned.

@srvm - I am following your mentioned thread and seems will be following the same route as yours while going to kumta. I am also staying at a home stay in kumta and plan is to start early and reach the home stay directly (skipping Jog falls as earlier planned). Hope to enjoy the devimane ghat road enroute. An early start should help. E reach kumta by 2:30. 2 hours rest and will push off for murudeshwar to see the majestic shiva statue under the lights.

Sunday the plan is to cover Gokarna and the beaches around.
Monday will leave post breakfast to Jog Falls and then back to bangalore by the night.

@ashkamath- thanks for the suggestion on the famous eatery and the route back. Honestly I am so thrilled to visit the ghats in the rains that I just wish I can drive on all ghat roads, specially also touch Agumbe. But due to paucity of time, will have to stick to the plan. But will keep your route in mind and surely plan something on that route.
Old 21st June 2017, 17:26   #3859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Monday will leave post breakfast to Jog Falls and then back to bangalore by the night.
Instead of Sirsi, would be good to check upon the Kumta-Siddhapur road. That bypasses Sirsi too.

Route in question : Link
Old 25th June 2017, 14:58   #3860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Instead of Sirsi, would be good to check upon the Kumta-Siddhapur road. That bypasses Sirsi too.

Kumta Siddapur road is terrible and it has been this way for years. Narrow, pot holed filled roads and severe twisties. Always avoid that route. If you wish to goto Jog Falls, just take Honnavar - Talguppa NH206 and goto Jog. Much faster. Going via Sirsi to Jog Falls would be a round route. You'd be doing more kms and wasting quite a bit of time.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 13:05   #3861

Planning a Road Trip to Goa in August. Will be staying at Club Mahindra Varca. Given it is South Goa, is Karwar still the right option. Want to try Chorla for the drive pleasure.Don't mind driving an extra 40kms if the entry is in North Goa. Any recommendations welcome.
Also driving an Innova Crysta 2.8 AT . From Team BHPians who have been there- done that, what is your experience, pls
Old 26th June 2017, 13:39   #3862
Senior - BHPian

Friends - I will be driving to Goa next week, planning the stay at Kenilworth Resorts. Would Karwar route be the right option? Thanks.
Old 26th June 2017, 13:50   #3863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libran10 View Post
Planning a Road Trip to Goa in August. Will be staying at Club Mahindra Varca. Given it is South Goa, is Karwar still the right option.
No, I would still recommend Hubli - Anmod - Margao- Varca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libran10 View Post
Want to try Chorla for the drive pleasure.Don't mind driving an extra 40kms if the entry is in North Goa. Any recommendations welcome.
You need not have to go to North Goa, if you want to travel through Chorala from Varca. I would suggest taking this route while returning to Bangalore rather than while coming to Goa. There is no point taking Chorala route after Sunset.
Route - Varca - Margao(Bypass) - Ponda (bypass towards Belgaum) - Turn towards Usgao after narrow bridge - Sakhali - Cholara - NH4 - Bangalore.
Old 26th June 2017, 14:18   #3864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
No, I would still recommend Hubli - Anmod - Margao- Varca.

You need not have to go to North Goa, if you want to travel through Chorala from Varca. I would suggest taking this route while returning to Bangalore rather than while coming to Goa. There is no point taking Chorala route after Sunset.
Route - Varca - Margao(Bypass) - Ponda (bypass towards Belgaum) - Turn towards Usgao after narrow bridge - Sakhali - Cholara - NH4 - Bangalore.

Thanks !! That is helpful !! Cheers
Libran10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 17:25   #3865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Friends - I will be driving to Goa next week, planning the stay at Kenilworth Resorts. Would Karwar route be the right option? Thanks.
Nope. I suggest, stick to NH4/NH4A. Bangalore - Hubli - Anmod - Margao (Bypass) - Utorda.
Old 27th June 2017, 12:07   #3866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Kumta Siddapur road is terrible and it has been this way for years. Narrow, pot holed filled roads and severe twisties. Always avoid that route. If you wish to goto Jog Falls, just take Honnavar - Talguppa NH206 and goto Jog. Much faster. Going via Sirsi to Jog Falls would be a round route. You'd be doing more kms and wasting quite a bit of time.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP

Thanks guys for your inputs. It was one of the most beautiful drives and the first beyond 1000 kms drive for the Martian (my new Ecosport). Took the usual Pune highway AH47, till haveri and then switched towards Sirsi to Kumta my home stay. On Monday took the Honnavar to Jog falls route which was very scenic and decent tarmac. In fact amazing for quite a bit with brilliant views. From Jog took sagar shivamoga (shimoga) and then hit the AH47 at chitradurga and then back to Bangalore. Will be putting up a detailed travelogue, but for the teaser, sharing few pics.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498545264.632236.jpg
The beauty of the south west monsoon on western ghats

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498545330.595241.jpg
The valley around Jog falls

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498545386.105631.jpg
The mighty Jog falls in its infancy now.
justwheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 18:58   #3867
Senior - BHPian

Yes, no point in driving on any ghats at night unless there is an urgency. It is just awesome to drive to and savour the sights.

We drove through Chorla last week and this what we saw

The waterfalls is Surla Falls and the next one is backwaters of Keri dam
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-dsc_0016.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-dsc_0046.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-dsc_0055.jpg  

Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 00:09   #3868
BHPian

Some route options to consider are available on the following link

http://traveltwosome.com/bangalore-t...outes/#respond
Old 6th July 2017, 17:31   #3869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Some route options to consider are available on the following link
Thanks for sharing the link.

Also, in case you are not aware, that blog is written by Fauji who has posted above.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 17:18   #3870
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have one question. I am planning to leave for Goa from Bangalore on 12th August at about 11-12 noon and taking the Anmod route as I will be going to North goa. I expect to reach by 9-10 pm and I will have wife and two 6 year olds with me. I would like to know if the route will be safe considering the time I will be close to Goa and is there any time restrictions on entry.

Thanks
Raj

Most Viewed