Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2018, 14:21   #4066
BHPian

Returned from Goa day before. The information in last 2-3 mails are quite accurate.

On my onward journey I had started at 4:00AM sharp from HSR Layout, and was at Neelmangala toll at 4:50AM having taking Hosur Road (not NICE). Was at Apoorva Resorts at 7:55AM and restarted at 8:40AM. Uneventful until after Hubbali toll. Around 10-12kms after Hubbali byepass, was stopped by Karnataka Police (innova), and realized what stupidity I had done. Had forgotten my RC-card at home. Also, I had been told by the dealer that BS-IV vehicles do not need PUC-certificates. Police challenged me on both, and fined me for 2500/- but scribbled something completely illegible (not kannada script, checked with a friend) on a pink receipt/challan-form. I think, it was a plain con job. There were others for whom 1000/- to 1500/- was changing hands (there were 7-8 vehicles stopped), sans receipt. Was stopped by Goa Police, but they asked me if I had my papers (this was ~20kms after Mollem). Before I could answer, they saw my family in the car and let me pass! Relief! Not sure if the pink challan of 2500/- would have helped me there.

Finally reached Panjim (near Dona Paula) at 3:00PM, after a 30min lunch stop. First thing, got the PUC done in Panjim, but had no solution for no RC.

On the way back, google maps, took me through a diversion of about 20-25kms, but that turned out to be extremely scenic. This was between Ponda and Mollem. Very little traffic, and much of it seemed to be forest reserve area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I

Additionally, I am quoting Suhas's update from last week picking the important bit:

So do make sure to have the usual documents in original including a valid PUC/Emission Test Certificate when you travel.
Can confirm this to have been the case while on the way towards Goa (i.e. they were present on both sides of road, separated by about 500mts). On the way back, I noticed that while they were present on the way out (but didn't stop me), but on the way in (towards Goa), they weren't. So YMMV.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th February 2018 at 14:50.
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:34   #4067
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I need one information regarding good hotels (for overnight stay) en-route Bangalore Goa. The reason behind this ask is I may need to start to Goa by say 5PM and make a stay midway somewhere due to a kid and start early next morning to reach my destination by noon.

A few hotel options I could see are
1. Apoorva lodge, Davanagere
2. Sankama the boutique hotel, Davanagere
3. Pooja International, Davanagere (Bit inside from highway)

Please let me know if there are others with dinner option and close to NH. Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd February 2018, 15:20   #4068
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I need one information regarding good hotels (for overnight stay) en-route Bangalore Goa.
At Davanagere you can consider:
1. Apoorva resorts
2. Sankama the boutique hotel
3. Southern star convention hotel (new)

If you can drive till Hubli, then consider Clarks Inn too.

See this earlier post (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) by Parag which links to the other thread Bangalore-Mumbai/Pune with details of Southern star.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd February 2018 at 15:23.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 14:43   #4069
BHPian

Just came back from Goa.
Whoever is travelling to Goa please make sure to carry PUC certificate. Both during the onward and return journey, we were stopped near Hubli border, and police asked whether we have PUC. Once they saw PUC, they did not check for any other document(not even DL)
Old 12th March 2018, 15:23   #4070
Distinguished - BHPian

^ A thumb rule even when one drives to Chamundi Hills Mysore on weekends. Well, the cops will ask for documents and if you have them, they let you go.

PUC is the most ignored document and they know a majority won't have it and they can cash in on that.

Time and again, If heading out of state, the most important thing to check is the validity of PUC. Insurance renewal is taken care by too many calls from your dealer/provider anyway.
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:37   #4071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Also, do check on the general situation around the coastal towns of Karnataka before you head out - there have been some tensions around Honnavara & Kumta in the last few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Planning a quick dash to South Goa (Canacona) what is the advise between the Hubli Yellapur Karwar route and Anmod ghat route? Have done the former on a number of times but read about some disturbance in the coastal towns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Start early and take the Dharwad-Anmod route, avoids the coastal towns of Karnataka.
Dear fellow BHPians,
Heading Agonda, Canacona tomorrow morning, with 4am start from Bannerghatta road. There was mention of disturbance or avoidance of karnataka coastal towns or the Karwar route in multiple posts not long ago due to that River issue. During last trip while returning from Goa via Anmod route on 27th December, I faced road/NH block by protesters few KMs from Hubli towards Bangalore and had to bypass it via villages, with bit disturbing path disruption experienced, done by aggressive looking fellows, during the village detour, and was apparently not obstructed much seeing family in the car. Avoiding Karwar route for Canacona taking Anmod route is too worse 2nd option for that destination. Just tending to check if some guys could have awareness that avoid situation is there still? Will appreciate any advice about same.

Last edited by Throtttle : 23rd March 2018 at 13:04.
Old 23rd March 2018, 13:16   #4072
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Just tending to check if some guys could have awareness that avoid situation is there still? Will appreciate any advice about same.
That was almost 3 months ago during December last year, haven't heard/read anything related to the issue in recent past, say last month or so.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 00:07   #4073
BHPian

Hello Fellow BHPians

I am planning for a drive down to Goa on 5th evening in a XUV. Starting point is Electronic City at around 10 PM. Destination is Palolem.

Need the following information -

- Is it a safe route at night?
- What all are the places where we can stop for tea or a midnight snack?

OR

- Where all could we take pit stops?
- Which route should we stick to ?

Kindly suggest, thanks in advance.

Last edited by ampere : 27th March 2018 at 06:30. Reason: formatted post
Old 27th March 2018, 08:46   #4074
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
I am planning for a drive down to Goa on 5th evening in a XUV. Starting point is Electronic City at around 10 PM. Destination is Palolem.
Please avoid night time drives on these routes if it's not an absolute necessity.

More than safety, the concerns would be around lack of facilities if you need any in an emergency.
With a 3 or 4am start, you can easily reach Palolem by lunch time, so do consider that as an option.

Route:
Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola (bypass)-Karwar-Palolem. There is road widening activity on the NH 66 from Ankola bypass onwards all the way till Goa border.

*The Bankapur route is also an option to bypass Hubli, but again roads are narrow and will be better if driving during day time, not for a night time drive.
Old 27th March 2018, 16:16   #4075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Hello Fellow BHPians

Need the following information -

- Is it a safe route at night?
- What all are the places where we can stop for tea or a midnight snack?

OR

- Where all could we take pit stops?
- Which route should we stick to ?

Kindly suggest, thanks in advance.

In order to reach Goa its always advisable to have a early morning start and reach Goa by after noon. No doubt that the roads are very good till Hubli but it also increases the risk as during night all the truck and bus traffic is heavy on this road.

I would suggest you to start from Bangalore by 4:00 AM in the morning and you can easily reach Palolem by 3:00 PM.

If you are keen on driving at night, you can have pit stops at any of the tolls available till Hubli, where you will get road side tea and some biscuits. All the tolls have the washrooms but again cleanliness is a problem there.
Old 27th March 2018, 16:27   #4076
Distinguished - BHPian

I have so far driven through the night to Goa just once and with family only because of a Bandh call in Karnataka in 2015 for the Kalasa Banduri project.

I started from home at 10:00PM (A wrong time as you have a lot of Bus and truck traffic at the first 2-3 tolls), Exited NH on Hubli bypass for Alnavar at 03:30AM and was at Goa (Madgaon) by 06:00AM.

Since my check in to Zuri was only after 11:00AM, I had done a temporary booking at a Goa Tourism Hotel at Madgaon.

Now coming to the drive itself:
-There is traffic, enough of it, at least till you exit Bangalore-Pune highway
-Beyond this, since a lot of KSRTC Buses prefer taking the Alnavar - Ramnagar route, there is again good traffic along with trucks
What is not good is the lack of facilities to stop by post 10:00PM which are decent enough for a family. You really must keep this in mind and then decide to drive or even better is to have a super early morning start at 03:00AM and then reach Goa by 10:30/11:00AM. Traffic (or the lack of it) should really not be the worry as the entire stretch till destination will give you good company.
Old 28th March 2018, 08:50   #4077
BHPian

Alert and a Question though!
I traveled from Bangalore to North Goa yesterday, started at 05:10 AM and reached Hotel/Apartment at 02:30 PM.
After entering GOA about 15 mins from the entry point there was the traffic police team with the speed Gun and while I thought I was traveling at a very descent speed I was booked at going 4KMPH more than the prescribed limit of 60Kmph.
They charged me for over-speeding and confiscated driving License giving some reasons that I never understood.
Question
1. Is there any tolerance limit as to what speed over prescribed limit is allowed (ex. I was told in US you can go 10% over the speed limit)
2. Why confiscating of driving license? they told it will be sent to Bangalore RTO in a weeks time and I can collect from there. They gave an acknowledgement receipt.
Old 29th March 2018, 11:56   #4078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
After entering GOA about 15 mins from the entry point there was the traffic police team with the speed Gun and while I thought I was traveling at a very descent speed I was booked at going 4KMPH more than the prescribed limit of 60Kmph.
Nothing new here. It depends on what time of a month you are caught. Reach a month end and they have less tolerance. I too was caught at 84KMPH with speed limit of 80KMPH near month end. Otherwise even 90+ speed on same roads has no issues. I have passed in front of the speed guns at 90KMPH many times.
Best is to reduce below the limit as soon as you notice these things wherever possible. Not sure why suddenly these guys are so alert on speed limits. May be a new way to fine on a pure technical reason. But neither any speedometer will show exact readings nor their speed guns will be accurate. Tolerance of 5KMPH should be allowed.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 29th March 2018 at 12:00.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 14:56   #4079
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

GOA CALLING:
we are traveling in a large group (total 5 cars, all freinds and family and kids) from Bangalore to Palolem on the 12th of April.
We were considering the Bankapur exit to reach yellapur > karwar > South Goa. Is this route in good condition and advisable? Or should we stick to the regular Hubli > yellapur > Karwar > South Goa route? Idea is to reach quick and safe. Any pointers would be helpful. TIA
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:42   #4080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
(total 5 cars, all freinds and family and kids) from Bangalore to Palolem on the 12th of April.
We were considering the Bankapur exit to reach yellapur > karwar > South Goa. Is this route in good condition and advisable? Or should we stick to the regular Hubli > yellapur > Karwar > South Goa route? Idea is to reach quick and safe. Any pointers would be helpful. TIA
Please stick to the Standard Hubli - Kalhatgi - Yellapura - Karwar route considering the bold part.

The alternate road via Bankapura - Mungod if not very good is very scenic and lonely and at times, quite narrow. Not each of will like it but at the same time not each one would hate it too.

Considering this, you are better off sticking to the main route.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks