Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2018, 21:02   #4231
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Is there a single post in this thread with list of eateries/coffee shops between Bangalore and Goa? I remember seeing something a while back but can't seem to find it.
Old 21st October 2018, 22:29   #4232
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
Is there a single post in this thread with list of eateries/coffee shops between Bangalore and Goa? I remember seeing something a while back but can't seem to find it.
Maybe you're referring to the Bangalore-Pune thread ? It can be used for Goa as well if you're taking the Bangalore-Hubli-Dharwad route.

Opening post on that thread also includes Parag's post with details of eateries and fuel stops:
Thread Link (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:54   #4233
BHPian

Much thanks to Paragsachania,NPV,ampere,Ertigiat and all other folks for sharing such useful information. Makes the travel so much easier escpecially when travelling with family.

We did a 5N/6D trip from Bangalore-North Goa (Candolim,Calangute,Baga,Vagator,Ashvem)- South Goa (Colva,Agonda)-Bangalore trip from 14th-19th October and covered 1400 KMs during this trip.

Onward journey for North Goa : Tumkur-Chittradurga-Ranebennur-Hubli bypass-Ramnagar Circle-Anmod-Mollem-Calangute.

https://goo.gl/maps/tResbFJ4ME12

Started at 5:15 AM and reached by 2:30 PM including an hour for breakfast.

Return journey from South Goa : Agonda-Karwar-Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur-Ranebennur-Chittradurga-Tumkur-Bangalore

https://goo.gl/maps/G98SrUZWNst

Started at 2:00 PM and reached by 12 midnight including an hour for dinner break.

Listing out few restaurants that we tried during our stay in Goa which serves both Veg & Non-Veg food. All of them were really really to good to say the least.
  • Infantria, Calangute
  • Fat Fish, Calangute
  • Starlight, Calangute
  • De Baga Deck,Baga
  • Britto's,Baga
  • Curley's, Anjuna
  • Mango Tree, Vagator
  • Thalassa, Vagator
  • Antares, Vagator
  • Martin's Corner, Salcette
  • Viva Panjim, Panjim
  • Ritz Classic, Panjim
  • Kentuckee, Colva
Road condition and some points to remember while travelling :
  • Until Chitradurga : 6 lane superfast road
  • Chitradurga-Hubli by-pass : 4 lane fast road with some road work in progress.
  • From Hubli by-pass roads will become narrower with few rough patches till you reach ghat section.
  • Roads are in great condition from ghat section onwards, but they are just about enough for 2 vehicles to pass in opposite direction. Make sure to use the horn liberally on blind curves for those unsuspecting vehicles coming from the opposite direction which tend to overtake the moment they see a slightest of gap.
If returning from South Goa via Karwar to Banaglore
  • Rough patches till Yellapur.
  • Yellapur- Mundgod- Bankapur stretch is good but its very narrow. Again do watch out for those bling curves and use the horn liberally. The road will also pass through four to five villages. Every time you enter and exit these villages there are UNMARKED speed-breakers (made of cement concrete) so do watch out for them. I will NOT recommend this route during evening hours as its pretty isolated and my wife and kid did not feel comfortable at all. By the time we reached NH48 it was almost 7 pm. So plan this route only if you can do it during day time or before 5 pm in the evening.
  • Ranebennur-Chitradurga : 4 lane with road work in progress. Diversions are clearly marked out and it won't be an issue if you are alert and maintaining a safe distance with other vehicles en-route.
  • Chitradurga-Bangalore- 6 lane super fast road.
Most importantly, we were never stopped by Cops although i was carrying all the required documents. Overall it was a very satisfying trip and a much needed vacation

Last edited by Keynote : 22nd October 2018 at 12:57. Reason: Spacing
Keynote is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:32   #4234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I actually wanted to see the Jog Falls as I've never been there and that's why I wanted to take that route.But if the road condition is too bad then I'll take that HAveri route only.But is the shimoga Jog stretch is not at all drivable?

And anyway I'm thinking of taking the GQ while returning.
Traveled to karwar via Shimoga-sagar-jog-honavar last week.

Road from Shimoga-Sagar-Jog is good, smooth roads.
Jog is a disappointment if you want to see the falls. There is hardly any water in the falls.
Route from Jog to Honnavar is patchy for 20-30 kms till you cross the Sharavathi forest region. Then its smooth till Honnavar.

Road works on NH from Honnavar-ankola-karwar. Alternate from good to bad patches.

Time taken from Sagar to Karwar - around 170 KM [ 3.5 hours ] steady driving.

Overall you can maintain only around 45-55 kms average depending on vehicle.

Last edited by speedkrish : 22nd October 2018 at 16:37. Reason: spell check and added time taken
Old 22nd October 2018, 17:04   #4235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
[*]Kentuckee, Colva
On 18th (Thursday), were you by any chance at Colva after 1100 ? If so, I may have spotted an S-Cross of the same shade as yours at the lot while we parked our cars and walked till the beach to see the crowd, buy some Ice candies for the kids and dine at a nearby restaurant while the ladies went around shopping here.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 17:12   #4236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On 18th (Thursday), were you by any chance at Colva after 1100 ?
Hi Parag, we were there around 1700 hrs on 18th Thursday. Just missed it :(
But I was able to meet fellow Bhpian friend kpzen on same day morning at Calangute. It was an impromptu meet though.
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 04:31   #4237
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I am planning a drive to Goa from Bangalore on 19 November 2018, I will be staying in Morjim (North Goa). I drive a low GC Type 2 Honda City and the car is gonna be full (4 adults). I have reasonable experience driving in the ghats and have driven the Anmod Ghat 2 years back. Am a pretty conservative driver don't really do over 100 a lot.

My first question is which would be the best route purely based on road conditions Anmod - Mollem or Kanakumbi - Chorla, I understand from the above posts that the road conditions in the ghats are bad in some places so the low GC and damage to the underbelly is my worry. I expect to be driving through the ghats between 3 and 6 pm if that influences your suggestion.

My second question is I understand that there is a bridge construction between Mollem and Ponda, if that is the suggested route can you guide me on the best route to Morjim, preference is good roads over short routes.

Many thanks in advance for your inputs and guidance.

Best regards,
Andy
Old 29th October 2018, 14:01   #4238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingandy View Post
My first question is which would be the best route purely based on road conditions Anmod - Mollem or Kanakumbi - Chorla, I understand from the above posts that the road conditions in the ghats are bad in some places so the low GC and damage to the underbelly is my worry. I expect to be driving through the ghats between 3 and 6 pm if that influences your suggestion.
Both are equally good (Or perhaps bad at certain sections) for low GC cars. You will need more or less same time to reach destination if you pick any one route.

If you choose Anmod, you need to be careful at railway crossings between Hubli exit till Ramanagar & certain sections of Anmod ghat.

If you choose Chorla, you need be careful between Kittur (Where you exit NH) and Kankumbi for speed breakers and few rough patches in Chorla section.

But I would recommend Anmod over Chorla because of wider roads till get off from NH 748 (Belgaum - Panjim highway) at Tisk (Usgao). Lesser fatigue as well if you choose Anmod. I believe twist & twirls on Chorla route are tiring, that too when you already have driven for around 6 to 7 hours (more in your case).

I am to travel next week via Anmod ghat. I will keep updated about condition of rough patches in ghat section.

Quote:
My second question is I understand that there is a bridge construction between Mollem and Ponda, if that is the suggested route can you guide me on the best route to Morjim, preference is good roads over short routes.
This should not concern you, as route recommend is Anmod - Mollem - Tisk - Sakhali - Bicholim - Morjim.

FYI only - The construction of bridge is not at all cause concern. It is altogether a new wider bridge construction & traffic is still allowed on old bridge.
Old 31st October 2018, 03:02   #4239
BHPian

Hi Ertigiat,

Many thanks for your detailed response and suggestions. I will take the route you suggested through Anmod - Mollem as I agree with your reasoning.

I have one follow up question on your comment to be careful at the level crossing and in the ghats, am worried about the underbelly of my Honda city type 2 getting scraped. Is it the speed breakers or the potholes that pose a risk. Do you think damage to the underbelly cannot be avoided on this route if one is careful and slow?

Thanks in advance for your inputs and do keep posting on the road conditions.
Old 31st October 2018, 10:13   #4240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingandy View Post
Do you think damage to the underbelly cannot be avoided on this route if one is careful and slow?
Certainly Yes. If you are careful you can easily avoid underbelly getting scraped. Speed breakers along the route may not cause damage but rough patches/broken roads in ghat section will definitely damage underbelly if you are not cautious.

Drive dead slow, gauge the depth of rough patch & decide how you want to navigate through it.

I will keep you posted about the condition of rough patches.
Old 31st October 2018, 11:01   #4241
BHPian

Returned from Goa last week, route took was:

Banaswadi-ORR-GorguntePalya-Nelamangala-tumkur-Chitradurga-Hubli-Dharwad-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim-Candolim

Till Chitradurga the usual 6-lane carpet, post that there's road widening in progress till Hubli, there are few deviations, watchout for unexpected speedbreakers near harihar and Ranibennur. From Hubli till Mollem decent 2 lane highway. Watchout for potholes due to rains and few are really bad. After Mollem expect huge mining trucks traffic.

Started from Banaswadi at 11PM, first break at a toll after Nelamangala for a cuppa tea, next stop was at Line Market (Mishra Peda shop) near Dharwad ~4AM, another stretch break at Anmod ~6:15AM, reached hotel at 8:15AM at Candolim.

Return was from same route, started from Candolim at ~12:00PM, Lunch at Anmod around 1:45PM, MMishra Peda shop ~4:45PM, Coffee break at Kamat just after Hubli at 6PM, Lunch at Kamat Upachar (New one) near Sira ~9PM, reached home at 12AM.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:35   #4242
BHPian

Guys need some advice as i will be driving from Bangalore to Goa staying close to Varca. As i have a small kid in tow will be taking a break to & fro somewhere close to Hubli or Dharwad.

Please suggest which is the best route to reach Varca in Goa and also please suggest few decent places to stay with budget close to 5K per night around Hubli or Dharwad.

I will be driving a Honda City

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:19   #4243
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Please suggest which is the best route to reach Varca in Goa and also please suggest few decent places to stay with budget close to 5K per night around Hubli or Dharwad.
You can take the Bangalore-Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod-Mollem route, few patches and potholes but manageable.

Stay at Hubli - Clarks is one that comes to mind, but there are other options too as mentioned by @parag - here (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:48   #4244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Please suggest which is the best route to reach Varca in Goa
As replied by NPV, the standard route for Varca would be via Hubli - Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem.

I drove back 2 weeks back and except for few curves on the ghat sections, the road is overall - GOOD but do take remain in control when sudden potholes greet you to be able to manage a low GC car.

Quote:
and also please suggest few decent places to stay with budget close to 5K per night around Hubli or Dharwad.
Denissions, Clarks Inn, President are popular hotels that are closer to the bypass and suits your budget too and mostly on Airport Road. Check popular portals and make a booking based on your requirements.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 14:40   #4245
BHPian

thanks guys for all the advise

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks