Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2019, 12:25   #4426
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

A rather long but scenic route is via Manipal. I will be traveling from Blr - Manipal - Gokarna - Goa. In the middle of August.

Although the route is long, the drive is fun!
Shashwat B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 14:05   #4427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat B View Post
A rather long but scenic route is via Manipal. I will be traveling from Blr - Manipal - Gokarna - Goa. In the middle of August.

Although the route is long, the drive is fun!
Definitely !! I belong to coastal region
However not worth the extra time since i am travelling with senior citizens.
I am hoping the Hubli-Ankola route has no issues(Not sure anmod will open by then)
Old 15th July 2019, 16:05   #4428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hey guys,

Need to drive to Ponda from Bangalore during mid August. What would be the best route ?

I usually take the Hubli-anmod-mollem route but looks like this route is closed now from few months.

Please suggest !!

EDIT:
As per the post from @balenoed, Looks like this is the best available option:
Bangalore - Davangere - Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Ponda

Feel free to edit.
Not aware of monsoon status in ghat and hence if it is rough, it will be good to take broader ghat roads. In this case the Bankapura route is good. But the roads from Bankapura to Yellapur are not wide. For complete broad roads go until Hubli then Yellapur and Ankola, this is long route but broad roads assured. Another option is Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta which again is average sized roads, not too broad not too narrow. This route is not the longest but is slow due to villages en route.

I wish Anmod reopens soon, really miss that road , all other routes are not efficient.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2019 at 17:53. Reason: Spacing
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 07:42   #4429
BHPian

Just did Bangalore-Kolhapur-Goa-Bangalore in my 2014 Honda Amaze VX AT. The roads till Hubli are in terrible state thanks to the ongoing construction. The speed breakers made it even worse, I had some crazy amounts of back pain and shoulder pain thanks to them ( I was seated at the rear).

The roads after Hubli are butter smooth. It did rain cats and dogs frequently but didn't cause an issue. Went through Amboli ghat on the way back from Kolhapur to Goa, extremely scenic but crowded. Took us a total of 12.5 hours to get back to Bangalore from South Goa.

Total distance : 1678 kms
FE: 13.3 km/l

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th July 2019 at 10:23. Reason: Spacing
Old 17th July 2019, 12:25   #4430
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a work trip to Calangute in mid-August. Any tips from my house in Yelahanka?

I usually leave by 0400 and can take the Doddaballabpur -Dobbaspete route to reach NH4 well after Nelamangala. No major rush but not a chilled holiday drive either!
Old 19th July 2019, 18:31   #4431
Senior - BHPian

Google maps is showing this route for Ponda. Any idea on the road conditions on this stretch ?
Also as per the maps, closure is near Londa and not anmod. Please clarify
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-1563541204003.jpg  

Old 21st July 2019, 06:50   #4432
BHPian

Hi TeamBHPians,

I need to drive from Bangalore to the BITS Pilani college (Goa Campus) which is located close to Goa Airport. I plan to start driving from south Bangalore on Sunday early morning.

Can you please suggest a route (with some detail) as I have never driven in this route? I want to avoid both bad roads.

Please help me with this information.
Old 23rd July 2019, 17:54   #4433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
The roads till Hubli are in terrible state thanks to the ongoing construction
Can you give me some more details please. I am thinking of an drive in August. I last did this stretch about 18 months or so back and the roads were quiet decent all the way except in anmod ghat stretch which was pot hole ridden and some work was in progress. However between Tumkur and Hubli it has always been a pleasure to drive with the exception of those nasty rumblers and the irritant cops with speed traps for 60Kmph around Haveri.
Old 23rd July 2019, 18:57   #4434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Can you give me some more details please. I am thinking of an drive in August. I last did this stretch about 18 months or so back and the roads were quiet decent all the way except in anmod ghat stretch which was pot hole ridden and some work was in progress. However between Tumkur and Hubli it has always been a pleasure to drive with the exception of those nasty rumblers and the irritant cops with speed traps for 60Kmph around Haveri.
There a lot of these small annoying speedbreakers next to each of the diversions which lower your speed a lot and a lot of potholes. But there are some patches of wide empty roads where you can make up for the lost speed.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:26   #4435

Need advise on Bangalore to Goa, Dona Paula, shortest route. Planning a trip in August, departing early morning around 4am.

Last year, same time, travelled via anmod and reached Panjim by 1.30pm. Doesn’t seem possible now, owing to multiple road works and diversions. Pls advise
Old 23rd July 2019, 23:52   #4436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San_Khanna View Post
Need advise on Bangalore to Goa, Dona Paula, shortest route. Planning a trip in August, departing early morning around 4am.

Last year, same time, travelled via anmod and reached Panjim by 1.30pm. Doesn’t seem possible now, owing to multiple road works and diversions. Pls advise
A group of two cars did a Goa drive recently, i joined at Belgaum from Mumbai, and a friend joined us from Bangalore. Update that i can surely give is that if you are looking for less hassled and comfortable drive, reach Belgaum, take Chorla ghat and enter Goa. The route is in much better condition then some others.

Obviously the Karwar option remains, but to me its slightly longer and probably does not save much time anyway. Plus chorla ghat is really scenic right now. More fun to drive.

And yes, since you are coming from Bangalore, the six lane work apparently does slow you down and road condition is "Really Bad" as my friend put it. And as some others have already mentioned i guess.

Hope that helps.
devyaaniverma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 17:53   #4437
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who follow Google navigation, be careful around Haveri. Google maps is randomly navigates through by-lanes instead of NH around here. I guess its since one lane of NH is closed near here due to road work that maps is getting confused.

So do confirm any diversions suggested by Google maps.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 21:36   #4438

Is it safe to drive from B’lore to goa later this week? I heard there are heavy rains in the konkan region and road conditions have further worsened!
Old 5th August 2019, 14:27   #4439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San_Khanna View Post
Is it safe to drive from B’lore to goa later this week? I heard there are heavy rains in the konkan region and road conditions have further worsened!
I am planning to drive next week and after all the browsing, narrowed on Belgaum-Chorla route. I guess we don't have much control on weather and road conditions typically deteriorate during this time.

I am also keeping a watch on rains !!
Old 6th August 2019, 14:39   #4440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am planning to drive next week and after all the browsing, narrowed on Belgaum-Chorla route. I guess we don't have much control on weather and road conditions typically deteriorate during this time.

I am also keeping a watch on rains !!
Just read on ToI (1440 IST) that many cars are stuck on the Belgaum-Gpa route because of landslides at Chorla.

Please keep a very close eye on your route vis-a-vis updates!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed