Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2019, 16:54   #4591
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I did the above route to Goa (stay in Calngute) last week. I halted overnight in Dharwad. That looks to be the best route with small patches of bad sections especially around Chorla ghats. I returned via Karwar - Honnavar - Sagar - Shimoga - Tumkur - Bangalore with a couple of days stay in a resort near Kumta beach. Not much water in Jog, in fact very disappointing.
Old 11th October 2019, 17:19   #4592
BHPian

I drove back on the Goa - Karwar - Yellapur - Kalaghati - Hubli - Davanagere - Bangalore route on the 8th. Broke the journey by spending the night in Hubli. While the route is longer than the Belgaum - Chorla route, which I took on my way from Bangalore to Goa. I'd say this is the better route. Not that it is in good condition - lots of broken roads between Yellapur and Hubli, especially the last stretch from Kalaghati to Hubli which is pretty much a mud road. But it was faster and easier to navigate than the massive potholes on the Chorla route. Took about 12 hours driving.
Crhysis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 12:36   #4593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakhs View Post
I did the above route to Goa (stay in Calngute) last week. I halted overnight in Dharwad. That looks to be the best route with small patches of bad sections especially around Chorla ghats. I returned via Karwar - Honnavar - Sagar - Shimoga - Tumkur - Bangalore with a couple of days stay in a resort near Kumta beach. Not much water in Jog, in fact very disappointing.
Heading from Bangalore to Goa (Mapusa) around the 22nd of October. I have a kid in tow. There are conflicting posts here. Some say Chorla has massive potholes, some say there are only small bad patches.

Which route could you suggest we take!

PS. I am not a Bangalore local. I am driving from Jodhpur to Bangalore and Goa to Jodhpur.

Last edited by lionell : 13th October 2019 at 12:38. Reason: Addition
Old 14th October 2019, 06:35   #4594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Heading from Bangalore to Goa (Mapusa) around the 22nd of October. I have a kid in tow. There are conflicting posts here. Some say Chorla has massive potholes, some say there are only small bad patches.
Chorla being bad, then I guess does not leave any options. How is Amboli ?

If nothing works, take the Hubli-Ankola route and brave the cross-Goa traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 14th October 2019 at 09:13. Reason: fixed typo
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 09:10   #4595
BHPian

Quote:
Some say Chorla has massive potholes, some say there are only small bad patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Chorla being bad, then I guess does not leave any options.
The entire Chorla--Belgaum route ain't so bad that it is to be avoided altogether. The major pothole ridden stretch that people are talking about happens to be in the ghat proper which is about 17-18 kms long that falls in Goa limits. Most of the stretch in Karnataka is decent.

In short, Belgaum--Chorla is all good to go. Yeah, I know people driving from Bangalore these days are exiting NH4 at Kittur and then onto Bidi--Khanapur--Jamboti--Chorla route. I am not sure how are those internal roads holding up, but Belgaum--Chorla ghat--Goa is clean as such.

Last edited by ampere : 14th October 2019 at 09:13. Reason: fixed typo in quoted post
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 12:23   #4596

Traveled to GOA from Bangalore on October 2nd long weekend, took the route BLR-Chitradurga-Hubli-Kittur-Nandgad-Chorla-Cortalim(stop over to meet friends)-Agonda Beach.

Took Chorla Ghat route since Anmod section is closed and we planned GOA - Mangalore on the return.

Bangalore- Tumkur : Good, early morning not much traffic
Tumkur - Chitradurga : Best, 6 lane roads, Fast and stress free
Chitradurga-Haveri: Ok, most of the section is good with minimum road extension work. good clear diversion boards.
Haveri - Hubli : Worst section as of now in the Bangalore-Hubli highway, service roads are bad and lot of diversions. Be careful with speed breakers, some diversion has speed breakers which are ok for 30-40 km/hr speed, some are unscientific(especially after damaged by rain) that even at 5 km/hr not manageable and scraps the bottom if not careful.No idea how they can demand tolls for this section.

Hubli-Dharward : Good old two lanes, I loved it when less traffic.Bikes can create trouble but with little bit of shoulder space manageable.
Dharwad to Kittur : Best, stress free.

Kittur - Chorla Ghat : there was some bad roads for 10 kms but it is ok.

Chorla - Goa : Except few kms of bad patches during downhill all good.

Overall it is good except for Haveri-Hubli especially if it rains.

Breakfast we had at Kamat at the opposite side after RaneBennur. Decent, also has coffee day option and petrol bunk.

Had to repeat Bangalore - Dharwad October 12th weekend. Looks like it deteriorated bit, but good thing is road construction activity seems to be more so hopefully few more sections will be completed.

Had breakfast at Bankapur nashta (https://goo.gl/maps/vz9HaaakdxhiikfA6), since it was raining heavily from Chitradurga till just before Banakpura. Avoid it if you can, there were so many cars but it doesn't seem to be hygienic place.

On return from Dharwad yesterday, had snacks/dinner at UPADHYA RUCHI A/C(https://goo.gl/maps/jbe8gq3sCgjTDWwZ7). Seems good place, new place but taste was very nice. Hope they maintain this for longer time, rest rooms were neat and clear. There is a HP petrol pump next to it, haven't tried the diesel there yet.
cselvam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 12:49   #4597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
The entire Chorla--Belgaum route ain't so bad that it is to be avoided altogether. The major pothole ridden stretch that people are talking about happens to be in the ghat proper which is about 17-18 kms long that falls in Goa limits. Most of the stretch in Karnataka is decent.
Agree with vivek95, did this route to and fro coming back to BLR on the 10th and apart from ghat section the road is not that bad. Drive cautiously on the curves where the major potholes are and it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cselvam View Post
Kittur - Chorla Ghat : there was some bad roads for 10 kms but it is ok.
Chorla - Goa : Except few kms of bad patches during downhill all good.
Overall it is good except for Haveri-Hubli especially if it rains.
On the Kittur _ Chorla section when you exit Khanapur, forgot to take note but few kilometers onwards there is bridge work going on. Half part of the bridge is only operating. I got stuck for some time while towards Goa as a KSRTC local bus was trying to maneuver and got stuck. Coming back this road was clear. only the bad road what cselvam has mentioned. This road as mentioned in earlier posts is single lane, do anticipate any on coming traffic and keep your car on a safe section so that you don't get pushed on the low shoulder by KSRTC bus or a truck.
diogo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:25   #4598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post
I drove back on the Goa - Karwar - Yellapur - Kalaghati - Hubli - Davanagere - Bangalore route on the 8th. Broke the journey by spending the night in Hubli. While the route is longer than the Belgaum - Chorla route, which I took on my way from Bangalore to Goa. I'd say this is the better route.
This route holds good when your destination is South Goa. This route doesn't make any sense for someone travelling to North Goa.

Quote:

Recommended route,

Bangalore - Dharwad (bypass) - Kittur - Chorla - Sakhali - Mapusa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Chorla being bad, then I guess does not leave any options. How is Amboli ?
Amboli route might help people whose destination is Northern part of North Goa.

The road condition from Sawantwadi till start of South Goa is not in good condition owing to road widening work and it is best avoided as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post

In short, Belgaum--Chorla is all good to go.
+1.

Closure of Anmod ghat has put onus on Chorla ghat which is not meant to handle this much volume/density of traffic and I agree Chorla ghat is not at its best condition but it is wiser to take this route if you are travelling to North Goa (Read Panjim, Calangute, Candolim, Baga, Anjuna) and some parts of South Goa (Read Margao, Colva, Benaulim, Majorda).

Karwar route holds good for people travelling to Palolem/Agonda beach.

The road condition between Margao - Panjim - Mapusa is so bad that taking Karwar route to travel to North Goa is not less than committing suicide.

Even Amboli route is not recommendation option because of pothole ridden road between Sawantwadi & most parts of North Goa.
Ertigiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 14:01   #4599
Distinguished - BHPian

Any info on Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapura route?
Will be driving down to Canacona the week after diwali. What would be the approx drive time for BLR - Bankapur - Yellapura - Canacona?

The alternate that we are considering is BLR - Shimoga - Honnavara - Karwar - Canacona and I know that that should take about 10hrs with a 4.00 am start from BLR.
Old 21st October 2019, 14:07   #4600
BHPian

Did South Goa and back on the 20th.
Route Taken: Tumkur-Hiriyur-Ajjampur-Tarekere-Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar-Goa.
Roads are good all throughout except 6kms before Hosadurga. That was the only bad section on the entire trip. Travel time is around 10-12hrs.
NH from Honnavar to Karwar expansion underway so diversions on the entire stretch but they don't slow you down.
Starscream1188 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 14:11   #4601
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Any info on Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapura route?
The alternate that we are considering is BLR - Shimoga - Honnavara - Karwar - Canacona and I know that that should take about 10hrs with a 4.00 am start from BLR.
I think at this moment, Shimoga-Honnavara route will be a better choice because:
1. you avoid the narrow Bankapur route (with possible rains it can become more challenging and due lack of facilities not a great option when traveling with family)
2. (remember reading some earlier posts) there is road widening/construction work on the Yellapur route (after Bankapur route merges with the NH at yellapur)
3. more options to get to Shimoga and more facilities en route

Last edited by NPV : 21st October 2019 at 14:13.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 15:47   #4602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think at this moment, Shimoga-Honnavara route will be a better choice because:
1. you avoid the narrow Bankapur route (with possible rains it can become more challenging and due lack of facilities not a great option when traveling with family)
2. (remember reading some earlier posts) there is road widening/construction work on the Yellapur route (after Bankapur route merges with the NH at yellapur)
3. more options to get to Shimoga and more facilities en route
Then why not Haveri Sirsi Kumta Goa? Shimoga Honnavar route is slower than Sirsi route or it used to be. I have not tried Honnavar route in last 6-7 years but it used to take >13 hours to reach my destination in south Goa. Mainly because reaching Shimoga (not a place on NH4 or so) was cumbersome.
Old 21st October 2019, 15:57   #4603
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Then why not Haveri Sirsi Kumta Goa? Shimoga Honnavar route is slower than Sirsi route or it used to be.
Not my preferred route currently due to NH widening work + diversions between Chitradurga-Haveri, frequent speed breakers between Haveri and Hanagal cross, lack of facilities generally on this route especially when traveling with family. Definitely possible that it may be preferred by others/folks who frequently travel on Sirsi-Kumta route (and I have some friends who do that!).

Last edited by NPV : 21st October 2019 at 16:00.
Old 21st October 2019, 16:14   #4604
BHPian

Did Goa from 16th to 20th of October and here is the update.

Onward journey: Belgaum - Jamboti (avoid Google suggestion of Khanapur) - Chorla - Vagator (12 noon - 4 evening).

Road is absolutely in mint condition except for a few pot holes near Chorla bends where you will need to maneuver with care. I was reckless as I was driving a SUV but I happened upon Ventos, Swifts driving with ease.

Also went to Surla tiny water fall view point. Luckily, it did not rain. Took about 4 hours from Belgaum till the Anjuna-Vagator area where my stay was booked. However, with rain which lashed mercilessly on my return, this could have been a nightmare. It rained almost everyday after noon from 3-ish onward.

Watching Baga beach in rain was lovely. Weather was most ideal for us Indians, tides were high though. Season is dull, & parking and traffic was never this easy. I stayed away from happening places to avoid crowd so that my kids can enjoy holiday. You can go to Calangute, Baga, Condolim or any place you would otherwise avoid in peak season.

Return journey: Old Goa - Margao - Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli.

Surface is clean through out. But traffic is dense and this is off season. Took 3 hours from Old Goa church to Ankola, Kamat Upachar.

Upto Yellapur the road traffic was very less and then all hell broke loose. Heavy rains through out. Visibility was really poor. Most cars stopped and pulled over. Only trucks and buses moved forward.
Ankola - Hubli took 3.5 hours for just 155kms. Cop tried to look thru the boot but did not have to open bags. Presented permit copy. He asked for chai pani, & I paid Rs. 100.

My advice: Stick to the Belgaum - Chora route with a over night stay at Belgaum. We stayed at the Eefa hotel. It had large bed for comfortable sleep.

Note from Support: See EDIT note. No alcohol in posts please.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st October 2019 at 19:33. Reason: typo. EDIT: Multiple typos fixed. Formatting fixed. Please run a spell-checker before posting. Thanks!
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st October 2019, 16:15   #4605
BHPian

Hi, a friend of mine will be traveling from Bangalore to south Goa this coming weekend. Heard some roads are closed?
Please could I get the best safe route possible to Goa

Thanks all.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st October 2019 at 19:32. Reason: Typos, spacing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks