Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2019, 08:09   #4741

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Just completed a week long Goa stay and here is the latest on the routes and conditions. Travelled with a 2 yr old and hence a leisurely pace. Had a 5.30am start from BLR

Onward
Bangalore - Goa(South), 14th Dec
Route taken: BLR-Chitradurga-Hubli-Dharwad Bypass-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa
Distance: 650kms
time taken: ~12hrs
Comments: Decided to stick to the usual route but instead of going via Mungod/ Tadas-Kalaghatgi took the Hubli-Dharwad bypass. There is a lot of road construction activity once you take the left on NH52 where its quite painful to negotiate and expect a lot of delays. this is for a 3-4 km stretch. The roads are generally good otherwise barring the Artibail ghat section where it can make for a slow progress especially for low gc vehicles. NH66 has a a lot of widening and asphalting going on till Goa Border so its a mix of great sections combined with two lane highways.

Return
19th Dec
route Taken: Varca-Karwar-Honnavar-talaguppa-Shimoga-Tarikere-Hosadurga-Hiriyur-BLR
Distance: 630kms
time taken: 13 hrs
Comments: Coming via Chitradurga was a pain because of the Highway work that's already been discussed multiple times hence this route option. Had a leisurely 11.45am start from Goa. The benefit of a late start on a weekday is the roads are generally not crowded unlike morning or evening or weekend times. Additionally one can avoid the evening city traffic in BLR. The only downside is the harsh sun but that should be manageable. Road from Karwar to Honnavar has extremely good sections and very dangerous unmarked deviations. Not advisable to driving in dark. Honnavar to Shimoga are excellent scenic roads throughout both a drivers/riders haven.

The stretch between Ajjampur-Hosadurga is a beautiful road to drive. This section was covered in the dark, really well marked with proper reflectors. While isolated but the most enjoyable section with little to no traffic.
Hosadurga-Hiryur has a lot of deviations and road levelling/construction activity going on so progress might be a little slow but sections where the roads are good is again not a problem.

Overall Given the condition of the NH48 with multiple diversions, if South goa is the destination then the Shimoga route makes the most sense now and less cumbersome to drive. The only catch is to drive maybe 20-30 kms extra. If one can make an early morning start from BLr then this is the section I would prefer.

Low GC cars in the return route wont face any issues.
Argan365 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 12:25   #4742
BHPian

I see a lot of posts saying Anmod section is closed. That I think is the official position. I asked my friends in Goa they are saying they have been driving down to Belgaum via Anmod. Not one but three have confirmed. Has anyone on this forum driven down on this this route recently?
Old 20th December 2019, 16:15   #4743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Presently Belgaum city is in a messy state due to under construction of roads, so not recommend for either Mumbai/Pune OR Bangalore to Chorla via Belgaum. Even otherwise it was always advised to skip Belgaum and take the Bangalore--Kittur--Bidi--Khanapur--Jamboti--Chorla route to North Goa. This in the wake of Anmod ghat getting closed. I know for sure that Bidi--Khanapur--Jamboti road is decent to good as I had driven just last week. I am not sure how is Kittur--Bidi, should be doable hopefully. Chorla route further on is mostly good but bad in the ghat per se.

Khanapur--Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary--Anmod is another good option to get to Anmod ghat and the road is absolutely good ( personal driving experience as of last week ). To get to Anmod from Bangalore as of now, you can take Bangalore--Kittur--Bidi--Khanapur--Bhimgad WLS--Anmod. However I don't know if Anmod ghat per se is officially open for traffic. I asked the locals over there and they said its unofficially open. Hope BHPian @Ertigiat pitches in on this.
I agree with Vivek regarding messy situation of Belgaum roads. You can avoid the mess by taking Changad route and then driving through camp. You will exit near Military Mahadev temple. But I will not advice this route as it is little confusing and Gmaps will further mislead in case you are entirely dependent on it.

Well, the Anmod ghat route is open & Guess the news has reached all transport companies.

Driving through Bhimgad WLS was pain due to heavy traffic. The road through WLS is not meant for heavy heavicles but the rule is bluntly broken by paying bribe to personnel posted at check posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Looking for suggestions on below:
- A good family hotel for overnight stay on NH near Hubli/Dharwad.
- Recommended route to Margao (destination) from Hubli/Dharwad, choose between Anmod and Chorla.

Thank you in advance !
Recommended Hotels,

Denissons Hotel

Clark Inn

These are recommend because of proximity to National Highway (HUbli - Dharwad bypass).

Please go through detailed post (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) & this post (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) before deciding to opt for Anmod route or Chorla route.

Chorla route is mostly good now because recent repair work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
You are better off taking Hampi--Hubli--Kittur--Bidi--Khanapur--Jamboti--Chorla ghat--Sanquelim--Marcel--Banastarim junction--Ribandar bypass--Panjim--Mandovi bridge--Candolim.
I second this opinion. Perfect Route to reach Candolim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
We will be driving to Goa on this Saturday, 21 December. If anyone has used Anmod route in the last few days kindly provide latest status.
Annod route is open. Please go through earlier mentioned post before deciding the final route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
I see a lot of posts saying Anmod section is closed. That I think is the official position. I asked my friends in Goa they are saying they have been driving down to Belgaum via Anmod. Not one but three have confirmed. Has anyone on this forum driven down on this this route recently?
I drove on this route day before yesterday. It is officially not open but there are no restrictions as such to travel.

Though the ghat route is complete, the hard shoulder work is still pending. One has to be little careful while driving through this section.

My opinion would be to avoid Anmod ghat road unless Anmod - Ramanagar route is completed. Reason, by now probably everyone is aware the ghat route is open and people travelling to Belgaum/Dharwad/Hubli take this route. But road through Bhimgad WLS is not meant for heavy heavicles. You have to completely stop your car to give way to heavy vehicles and even some oncoming vehicles refuse to slow down. I saw loaded truck overturned and going by the location he surely must have slid from road due lack of width for two heavy vehicles.

If someone still wants to travel through Bhimgad WLS then it has to early morning period. The traffic starts piling after 9.00 AM.

Offtopic,

Came across lost Jackal pups while travelling through Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary. They looked scared hence stopped vehicle for some time.

Please excuse for poor video quality (I forgot to reset video quality of Dashcam after receiving the vehicle from service centre).

Last edited by Ertigiat : 20th December 2019 at 16:37.
Ertigiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 18:39   #4744

Quote:
Originally Posted by marutifan View Post
While returning, why did you take Anmod - Khanapur - Kittur route?

Was there any problem with the Anmod - Ramnagar - Kalgeri (Dharwad) road? Wouldn't that have been a better option?
Even though it is doable, the under construction area of Anmod-Ramnagar section is full of dust and debris and just didn't want to go through that again. Also we were in no rush, so thought of trying the other route too.
roshithr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 21:21   #4745
BHPian

Kittur-Bidi-Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla route is good all the way. Travelled today to North Goa today and I believe for North Goa destination this is a good route for any type of vehicles.

Started from Bangalore at around 4 am and was at destination Mapusa at 2:45pm with breakfast break at Apoorva. Uneventful journey, barring a few bad patches after Bidi to Khanapur and a couple of kms on the Khanapur Jamboti road, the route was good. Chorla ghat is good through out till you exit at Sanquelim.
diogo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 21:52   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Kittur-Bidi-Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla route is good all the way. Travelled today to North Goa today and I believe for North Goa destination this is a good route for any type of vehicles.
We took this route today to reach Calangute. This route is fine for any type of vehicles and few kilometres of bad patches can easily be managed.

Last edited by airbus : 21st December 2019 at 21:54.
Old 21st December 2019, 23:16   #4747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post

Started from Bangalore at around 4 am and was at destination Mapusa at 2:45pm with breakfast break at Apoorva. Uneventful journey, barring a few bad patches after Bidi to Khanapur and a couple of kms on the Khanapur Jamboti road, the route was good. Chorla ghat is good through out till you exit at Sanquelim.
Hi Diogo,
Can you share the Google map with the above detours if you did save it.I usually travel through Chorla and Belgaum to reach Mapusa from Hebbal.planning a quick trip year end hoping not to get choc a block traffic in the ghats.
Old 21st December 2019, 23:38   #4748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Hi Diogo,
Can you share the Google map with the above detours if you did save it.I usually travel through Chorla and Belgaum to reach Mapusa from Hebbal.planning a quick trip year end hoping not to get choc a block traffic in the ghats.
Here is the link from Gabbur toll plaza

https://goo.gl/maps/CfyHdrq5KEQCpN3g6
diogo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 18:05   #4749
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Would be traveling to Goa for the New Years's. Booked a hotel in candolim from 29-01.
Request you to let me know the best route to take from Bangalore to Candolim/Goa. Considering it's a 12h+ drive, I'm thinking of halting in Dharwad for one night (28th & 1st) both ways (feel free to suggest any decent hotels as well).

I'm a little concerned about all the talks about delays on the chitradurga <-> dharwad route. Would be traveling with the family (wife + 2 kids), so if the bad patches are an issue , would need to make alternate arrangements. Kindly let me know your comments on the route and the drive and any other inputs for breakfast/lunch etc on the way. And if driving is just not worth it, feel free to let me know about that as well.

Thanks in advance
Old 24th December 2019, 06:48   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vint View Post
Hi Guys,
Would be traveling to Goa for the New Years's. Booked a hotel in candolim from 29-01.
Request you to let me know the best route to take from Bangalore to Candolim/Goa. Considering it's a 12h+ drive, I'm thinking of halting in Dharwad for one night (28th & 1st) both ways (feel free to suggest any decent hotels as well).
Are you planning to travel in the night? If you start in the morning you should be in Candolim by late afternoon with couple of breaks in between, don't think you need an overnight stay.

Bangalore-Kittur-Bidi-Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla-Mapusa-Candolim route should be good for you, just did it couple of days back. I did not encounter any delays on the Chitradurga-Hubli diversions also the diverted roads are in ok condition. Traffic may increase though during the year end.
Old 25th December 2019, 07:29   #4751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argan365 View Post
Just completed a week long Goa stay and here is the latest on the routes and conditions. Travelled with a 2 yr old and hence a leisurely pace. Had a 5.30am start from BLR

Overall Given the condition of the NH48 with multiple diversions, if South goa is the destination then the Shimoga route makes the most sense now and less cumbersome to drive. The only catch is to drive maybe 20-30 kms extra. If one can make an early morning start from BLr then this is the section I would prefer.

Low GC cars in the return route wont face any issues.
Thanks for this post. Very helpful. I am headed with wife and kids tomorrow morning to South Goa. Cansaulim.

Do you recommend we take Shimogga, Honnavar, Karwar route both ways? How are the roads and overall availability of joints for stopping? Kids are 7 years. Are there any Coffe Day joints also on the way? Any suggestions on eating places?

Appreciate any advice from all here. Thanks in advance.
Old 25th December 2019, 08:04   #4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Do you recommend we take Shimogga, Honnavar, Karwar route both ways? How are the roads and overall availability of joints for stopping? Kids are 7 years. Are there any Coffe Day joints also on the way? Any suggestions on eating places?

Appreciate any advice from all here. Thanks in advance.
Barring the extra one hour to travel time this route is a pleasure to drive for where you are headed. Scenic and good roads 85-90%. Getting to Shimoga, looks like there are two possible routes. One the usual via NH75 Kunigal-Arsikere-Kadur or the other one which I described in my post. The only catch in the latter is small diversions and roadworks which shouldn't be too much of a deterrent for low gc cars. Post Shimoga is the standard route.

We stopped at Adigas just in outer Shimoga while returning: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ad...9!4d75.5526289
Clean restrooms and the usual fare of food etc. Bang on the highway and ood part is there are some tyre shops almost opposite adigas so any emergencies on tyre front becomes helpful.
I believe post Honnavar or closer to Karwar there are some good restaurants for what should be a lunch time stop. We pretty much packed our food for both ways and that made us less dependent on stops, barring bio breaks.
Hope that Helps and safe driving!!
Argan365 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 09:28   #4753
BHPian

Update on my recent 2 day trip to Goa.

Destination: Quepem
Onward: 21/12/2019 - 2 AM start

Total time: 10 Hours (with one breakfast break at Ganesh Hotel)

Route: Bangalore - Chitradurga - Tadas - Yellapur - Karwar - Quepem
Comments: Details are broadly covered in the above posts. The deviations remain an irritant, but Chitradurga to Hubli is driveable. Tadas - Kaghatgi is narrow but fine. Arabail ghat is not in great shape, but again manageable. Overall, IMHO this is still the fastest route to South Goa, in the current scenario.

Return: 22/12/2019 - 10:30 AM start
Time Taken: 13 Hours (Multiple breaks at Ankola, Kumta, Honnavar, Shimoga, Kunigal)
Route: Quepem - Karwar - Honnavar - Shimoga - Arsikere - Kunigal - Bangalore
Comments: This is a more scenic route but slightly longer. As most details are covered above, I will focus more on the Arsikere - Bangalore stretch. I found the Tarikere - Arsikere stretch to be patchy (also faced a lot of traffic). Arsikere to Channarayapatna was awesome with a great road and minimal traffic. After Channarayapatna, it was the good old Hassan - Bangalore Highway which remains pristine.

Special thanks to Parag bhai for numerous useful inputs.

Regards
Rahulb22

Last edited by rahulb22 : 25th December 2019 at 09:29. Reason: Updated line spacing
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 10:56   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argan365 View Post
Overall Given the condition of the NH48 with multiple diversions, if South goa is the destination then the Shimoga route makes the most sense now and less cumbersome to drive.
Has anyone taken this route ? Any suggestions for this route ?

Last edited by Sheel : 25th December 2019 at 11:28. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Old 25th December 2019, 18:27   #4755
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Has anyone taken this route ? Any suggestions for this route ?
I just rode today with my friend from Bangalore to Kundapura to agonda. Ankola to Agonda is almost 95% complete and very beautiful. What surprised me is the highway conversion inside Goa, from the border to Cancona is absolutely beautiful, probably the most scenic route down south. From Kundapura to ankola i would say around 70% is complete, a little frustrating too. Do give this route a try, not sure of the other routes, if you like driving take this route.

Most Viewed