Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2020, 21:16   #4876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Did Bangalore - Bankapur - Tadas - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Varca onwards and Varca - Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur - Bangalore on return, on 26th Sept and 4th Oct repsectively. After the first hand experience, and with intent to not influence to create biases, my personal take/preference between Tadas or Mundgod route will be anyday via Tadas.
Thanks for your valuable input. Few more questions for you please. How much time did you take for your travel to and from Goa using these two routes? How is the road condition (diversions) on NH 48 till Tadas? and lastly where exactly do you turn off for Tadas? Near Agadi Thota or Ramankop?

Quote:
I will prefer/want to take Dharwad-bypass - Alnawar - Ramnagar - Tinai Ghat - Anmod Checkpost - Mollem - Ponda - Old Goa bypass - Panjim - Arpora route, if apart from 16km Tinai Ghat to Anmod Checkpost detour via Varlewadi & Akheti to bypass unconstructed stretch of SH748, rest of the road in Dharwad-bypass to mollem route is even just okay. Will appreciate feedbacks by people taking this route during October, regarding apart from Tinai ghat detour are there more stretches which are to be worried in Dharwad/Alnavar to Mollem route?
This is also a feasible route for me to central Goa and is one I was seriously contemplating vs the Mundgod and now Tadas routes. Have similar doubts as you regarding this route too so appreciate any feedback from travelers.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 23:10   #4877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
Has anyone travelled Bangalore-Goa via Jog falls recently? How are the road conditions and is it safe to visit Jog falls (from a crowd standpoint)?
My friend stays in Sagara, according to him Jog is seeing good number of tourists, but it is not as much as usual numbers. Should not be a major concern and sufficient distance can be maintained. Jog is not at it's full glory though.

If you are traveling to Goa through Jog, best route will be to drive till Hiriyur and take the deviation through Hosadurga reaching Tarikere and onwards to Shimoga and Jog.

From Bangalore to Hiriyur, the roads are excellent and with minimal traffic post Tumkur.

From Hiriyur to Tarikere, roads are again very good with little road construction going on. Not a big bother, good average speeds can be maintained.

Roads are bad in Tarikere and post that till Honnavara, the roads are excellent. The Ghat road post Jog was under going widening last year when I drive to Murudeshwara.

Have no clue on the road conditions from Honnavara to Goa.

I am planning to drive to Goa this month through Shimoga, Jog, Honnavara and Goa.

I have booked in a resort in South Goa. I am traveling with a 3 year old. He usually sleeps in his car seat comfortably, so I am planning to drive through the night by starting at 10PM and reaching the resort by 10AM in the morning
I have driven to Shimoga last month again in the night and I am comfortable with this route as I am a bit familiar with it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th October 2020 at 00:52. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 12th October 2020, 00:25   #4878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
After the first hand experience, and with intent to not influence to create biases, my personal take/preference between Tadas or Mundgod route will be anyday via Tadas.
I would also prefer Bankapur - Tadas - Kalghatgi - Yellapur over Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur for South Goa locations. While distance is little more, but driving time is almost same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
How much time did you take for your travel to and from Goa using these two routes? How is the road condition (diversions) on NH 48 till Tadas? and lastly where exactly do you turn off for Tadas? Near Agadi Thota or Ramankop?
If you search on Google map from Bankapur Toll Gate to Yellapur, you will get option for Bankapur - Tadas - Kalghatgi - Yellapur route.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-btky.png  

Last edited by airbus : 12th October 2020 at 00:28.
airbus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 18:33   #4879
BHPian

Quote:
Few more questions for you please. How much time did you take for your travel to and from Goa using these two routes? How is the road condition (diversions) on NH 48 till Tadas? and lastly where exactly do you turn off for Tadas? Near Agadi Thota or Ramankop?
I was traveling with my child who have motion sickness, so there were few stoppages while he felt nauseous; also breakfast and lunch pitstops in the car, bio and stretching breaks. It took little under 12 hours from end to end, with sedate driving, and no 'intent' to reach in a fix low/optimum time. I was going there for a longer staycation/workation sojourn, wherein the drive is one of the best spells of the trip, so was doing the drive unhurriedly, enjoying the stops at enticing places and slowing down to enjoy the captivating countryside.

I intended to turn at Agadi Thota, but missed to peek the head-unit/Gmap just near the turn so missed it and thus turned at Ramankop. Regretted the miss as wanted to discover/explore it. It rained incessantly that day and my wipers rarely stopped during entire journey, so village/farm roads may have risk of being waterlogged, so was not a day to experiment; I consoled myself with this for the miss.

Last edited by Throtttle : 13th October 2020 at 18:58.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:54   #4880

Friends, I am planning to drive to Goa (Cavelossim, south Goa) tomorrow on a 4 day vacation. Need following inputs.

1. Best route based on all earlier nputs seems to be via Davanagere-hiriyur-mundgod-yellapur-karvar-cavelossim. Please advise road conditions as of today.

2. Saw in the news just now that there is a red alert in Mumbai and north Konkan about heavy rains. Please help with Goa weather conditions and forecast for next few days. Hope it is fine to drive on this route as I will be driving with wife and kids

3. Please suggest breakfast and lunch options enroute. I plan to leave at 7 am from Bangalore and return journey on Monday from Cavelossim at around 11 am.

4. Google says 11hrs for this route. What will be the expected duration of journey. I plan to take two breaks of 20 min enroute.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st October 2020 at 09:36. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 15th October 2020, 11:43   #4881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbhaskar View Post
1. Best route based on all earlier nputs seems to be via Davanagere-hiriyur-mundgod-yellapur-karvar-cavelossim. Please advise road conditions as of today.

3. Please suggest breakfast and lunch options enroute. I plan to leave at 7 am from Bangalore and return journey on Monday from Cavelossim at around 11
I travelled on Mundgod route on 4th October, road condition wise its was fine overall.

Hotel Mysore Cafe, Chitradurga or Apoorva Resorts, Davanagere for breakfast. Shanbag hotel, Yellapur(for some popular local delicacies) or Kamat Upachar, Ankola for lunch.

Except Apoorva resorts, all are spartan options with average/okay food, fine for journey purpose.

Last edited by Throtttle : 15th October 2020 at 11:53.
Throtttle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 23:01   #4882
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is driving from Bangalore to Goa on the coming Tuesday.

Can the experts on this route please suggest the best route to take as far as good roads go. A few Kms extra is not a problem if the roads are good.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
SS
Old 19th October 2020, 13:17   #4883
BHPian

Quote:
I travelled on Mundgod route on 4th October, road condition wise its was fine overall.
I travelled on this route in Feb just before the lockdown and the road was quite good - even though being a single road and the shidalgundi bridge diversion. However it is very desolate and felt uneasy even in day light. Would not suggest for drive with family .

I heard the recent North Karnataka rain has taken its toll on Mundgod - has anyone tried this route in recently in October ?

Also, how is the situation on the NH4 between Chitradurga and Bankapura - are the diversions manageable or pain to drive ? Would rather stick to Shimoga honnavar route to avoid these diversions for now. Peaceful drive even though a bit longer to South Goa.
Old 20th October 2020, 11:52   #4884
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking of a quick drive to Goa and back next week. Hoping to stay in South Goa at The Leela, Cavelossim / Mobor.

I stay near KIAL so can take the Tumkur Road shortcut at Dobbspet via Doddaballapura Road.
Old 21st October 2020, 00:45   #4885

I will be travelling to North Goa on 23rd October. Planning to go via Anmod ghat, taking the route: BLR-Hubli-Dharwad-Kittur-Nandgad-Khanapur-Bhimgad WLS-Anmod-Mollem. Would this be a safe route to take on a hatchback? Has any one taken this route recently?
Old 21st October 2020, 10:58   #4886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nava View Post
I will be travelling to North Goa on 23rd October. Planning to go via Anmod ghat, taking the route: BLR-Hubli-Dharwad-Kittur-Nandgad-Khanapur-Bhimgad WLS-Anmod-Mollem. Would this be a safe route to take on a hatchback? Has any one taken this route recently?
Please update us on the road conditions on this route as I am planning to take the same on Saturday/Sunday

And Nava congratulations on your first post
Old 21st October 2020, 13:13   #4887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
While going we took Blr- Hubli- Dharwad- Goa route that passes through Wildlife Sanctuary. This route can be used for both North and South Goa from Bangalore. The newly laid cement road is good, the tarmac is mostly smooth. However the road is not complete, just before Anmod - some 10 kms before, the cement road ends abruptly, google maps will show a right turn before the road ends - its easy to miss that, however that is the narrow road which passes through forest, where supposedly the entry is banned between 6 PM to 6 AM. We entered this stretch at 7 PM in evening, the route can be scary at Night specially if you are travelling alone. On exit near Anmod, where the narrow road again joins the Cement road, there is a forest check-post.

Verdict - The route is highly recommended.
Manish
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Since the Chorla route is bad you can try take Anmod route from Khanapur via Bhimgad WLS, google maps shows a difference of only 15KMs between this and the Chorla route. Have seen latest references to this route in the Mumbai-Goa route. Plan to try this out later this month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nava View Post
Quote:
Please update us on the road conditions on this route as I am planning to take the same on Saturday/Sunday
Hi fellow BHPians,

I think with chorla route unopt-able currently, this question have become important now for central and north goa, that what route to take for Anmod -> mollem -> Ponda. Two options pondered of-late in this thread are:

(1) Dharwad-bypass - Alnawar - Ramnagar - Tinai Ghat fork - Anmod Checkpost(via Akheti) - Mollem - Ponda, with 16km Tinai Ghat to Anmod Checkpost detour via Varlewadi & Akheti to bypass unconstructed stretch of SH748, if rest of the road in Dharwad-bypass to mollem route is okay to opt.

(2) Dharwad -> Kittur -> Nandgad -> Khanapur -> Bhimgad WLS -> Anmod -> Mollem -> Ponda, to bypass entire of the straight Dharwad-bypass - Alnawar - Ramnagar - Anmod Checkpost stretch and go parallel to (1) and converge at Anmod checkpost.

Option 2 have almost entirely village/interiors roads, forest roads and narrow roads, while option 1 is the classic 'Goa road' which is fairly wide and relatively 'normal' road, if road conditions are okay after Ramnagar(i am assuming due to being toll road, upto Ramnagar road would be good). So, can Manish or somebody else who travelled/travel this route comment that from Ramnagar to Tinai ghat detour fork, are roads unconstructed/bad too that one should preferably bypass entire dharwad - Ram nagar - Tinai ghat fork - Anmod checkpost(via Akheti) stretch, going via longer & uncommon route (2) which is mostly interior roads?

Route (2) seems more relevant and opted by Pune & Mumbai to Goa travelers coming from north direction downwards, not sure it is good proposition for Bangalore to Goa too as it becomes a big detour while coming from south direction.

The attached picture precisely shows the routes (1) & (2) for understanding, zoomable link of this Gmap pic's routes is here - https://goo.gl/maps/aa563Cz79Pecz7SZ6.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-anmod_route.jpg  

Last edited by Throtttle : 21st October 2020 at 13:21.
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:52   #4888
BHPian

Quote:

(1) Dharwad-bypass - Alnawar - Ramnagar - Tinai Ghat fork - Anmod Checkpost(via Akheti) - Mollem - Ponda, with 16km Tinai Ghat to Anmod Checkpost detour via Varlewadi & Akheti to bypass unconstructed stretch of SH748, if rest of the road in Dharwad-bypass to mollem route is okay to opt.
Hi, I travelled on route option 1 in your post a week or so ago. It's a perfectly fine road to take with bad stretches limited to patches near railway crossings and some patches in the Tinai ghat diversion. The biggest pothole is right before Anmod checkpost at the end of the Tinai ghat diversion but I could cross without scraping in a sedan.
Other than that, it is really smooth tarmac all through. Go with Option1 (Blue highlighted road in your GMaps link)

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 22nd October 2020 at 13:54.
niranjanrvce is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:31   #4889
BHPian

Does anyone know the road condition from Udupi to Goa post monsoons?
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:20   #4890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Hi, I travelled on route option 1 in your post a week or so ago. It's a perfectly fine road to take with bad stretches limited to patches near railway crossings and some patches in the Tinai ghat diversion. The biggest pothole is right before Anmod checkpost at the end of the Tinai ghat diversion but I could cross without scraping in a sedan.
Other than that, it is really smooth tarmac all through. Go with Option1 (Blue highlighted road in your GMaps link)
Thanks, what is the condition on the highway between Chitradurga and Dharwad bypass? The diversions along with way - are they ok or full of potholes difficult to drive?

Last edited by trahul4 : 22nd October 2020 at 15:48.

Most Viewed