Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 08:40   #5026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
We may have crossed each other at several places today! I started at 6:15 from Varca and reached Padmanabha Nagar at 5:15 (incl 1 hour break). At Yellapur, some adventure spirit washed over me at took the Mundgod-Bankapur route, just like you. But I found the route very irritating due to its narrowness and never ending speed breakers after Mundgod. I was stopped too for documents check up. I couldnt control and asked the cop who stopped me why are they harassing high speed travelers on a national highway. He didnt answer. Of all the things, he asked for me for my emission cert, and let me go in a jiffy. Were you in a Duster (with a convoy following you)? Thanks for your detailed report on Tinai ghat. What you have mentioned is a nightmare and I wouldnt advise anyone to take that route until sanity is restored.
I was in an Orange Tiago with black roof. I was followed by a Grey Innova with AP registration throughout the route from Yellapur to Bankapur. That guy was super cool and calm and I was wondering if he could be one of our BHPians. Anyways I found this route OKish if you want to enjoy jungle sort of drive.

Even Tinai ghat diversion is not bad if you have car with good GC, only problem is the time it takes and vims of other drivers on that route. One rough and nasty guy and the entire fun is over.

I hope you enjoyed your Goa stay. For me it is home visit.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th December 2020 at 09:59. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 11:59   #5027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Even Tinai ghat diversion is not bad if you have car with good GC, only problem is the time it takes and vims of other drivers on that route. One rough and nasty guy and the entire fun is over.

I hope you enjoyed your Goa stay. For me it is home visit.
You are a lucky man and thanks for your kind words. And yes, Goa is heaven and Bangalore is home (for me).

I do remember you or someone else mentioning that Tinai is for cars with high GC. Didnt want to take any chance.

My suggestion for everyone traveling to South Goa should stick with the standard Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-South Goa route. Many roads and bridges have become four lanes. Still the progress is tardy and signages are poor with several at-grade intersections. Every opportunity to convert these into world class roads has been squandered away and we just have to be content with motorable roads, thats all.

You have summed up the nature of Tinai ghat route nicely.

I found a great restaurant in heart of Panaji called Route 66 - American cuisine and others. A fantastic place.

And, Club Mahindra is opening a new resort in Assansora (North Goa, Chorla ghat route) and ready for occupancy starting Jan 2021.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:02   #5028
BHPian

Quote:
Actually this is a general update on the driving conditions and I am also responding to the oddly specific number of diversions mentioned above.

After reading the posts 10's of times, I was a bit nervous about the drive between Chitradurga and Hubli. I started on 20th morning and since I was apprehensive of the 27+ diversions I decided to take a break at Hubli and proceed the next day to south Goa (Varca). But the road conditions turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The diversions are very few (less than 7) and they are easily manageable. I had a fully loaded low GC car, but even then I could easily manage the diversions without issues. Please dont be concerned about road conditions between Chitradurga and Hubli. I would not have broken my journey if I knew this was the condition, but I am not complaining.

If you have a high GC vehicle, then this is almost an Autobahn (with Indian style surprises). Please dont overspeed.

Hubli-Kalghatgi is motorable, but less said the better. Its chaotic, messy and represents worst of Indian road talents.

The road significantly improves after Kalghatgi and till Karwar its a breeze, barring some bad conditions in Arabail ghat, but the ghat section gets over even before you realize it.

Now and then, some 4 lane roads exist between Karwar and Goa border. Again, good drivers can consistently maintain high speeds. Roads are ok in Goa but with 100's of speed breakers + cows + convoys. Please drive slowly.

If you have specific questions, please ask.

Thanks bsdbsd for the info. We took this option on the way back from Goa, with a stopover at Hubli. Started 1st Jan, stayed overnight at Hubli, and reached Bangalore 2nd Jan.

The roads from Goa to Hubli are as described by bsdbsd above. We started from Palolem on 1st, and we reached Hubli in 4 hours. Arabail Ghat may be the shortest way to cross the Western Ghats.. mostly decent roads but eroded sections in some places, especially on sharp turns. It took about 15-20 minutes to cross this section. Otherwise the roads upto here from Karwar are very peaceful, in very good condition, very little traffic. After the ghat section there are some bad road stretches, especially around Yellapur, Kirwatti and Kalaghatgi. But nothing backbreaking. Traffic in this section was also light, mostly occasional rural traffic near the towns. That may be because we traveled on a holiday, and crossed this area mid-afternoon.

There's some road construction going on on NH-52 heading into Hubli, so Google Maps routed us through some bad back roads into the city to our hotel.

As for the Hubli - Bangalore stretch and the diversions:

We counted 11 diversions on NH-48 closer to Hubli, and another 7 closer to Chitradurga. Between these, there's a very nice 6-lane highway for a long while. We started from Hubli at 8.45, and reached near Chitradurga (before the second set of 7 diversions) by 10.45. By 12.45 we'd reached Kamat Upachar near Sira. Started from Kamat after lunch around 1.30pm, Tumkur toll around 2.15pm, and reached Whitefield around 4.15pm.

bsdbsd, I'm not sure which route you took going into Hubli that avoided the 11 diversions near Hubli. Can you add more details please? We stayed at Kyriad Prestige in Hubli, Vidya Nagar area, and followed the route Google Maps showed.
npal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:33   #5029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
bsdbsd, I'm not sure which route you took going into Hubli that avoided the 11 diversions near Hubli. Can you add more details please? We stayed at Kyriad Prestige in Hubli, Vidya Nagar area, and followed the route Google Maps showed.
Thanks for the nice, detailed post. I agree with everything you have mentioned. The traffic was surprisingly light from Bangalore to Goa.

Regarding the question above, I am not sure if you are asking Bangalore to Hubli or Yellapur to Hubli (return from Goa). Bengaluru and Hubballi for the purists!

There were some diversions while getting into Hubli and I can recall only a couple that bothered me in terms of speed breakers but it was a smooth sail otherwise. I reached Gabbur, and proceeded straight to Hotel Naveen as per Google maps (one single road). I am not familiar with Hubli area. I will Google about your area of stay though. Hubli surprised me with a dedicated bus lane and my daughter is upset about Bangalore not having such a nice thing :-).

While coming back, I took the Mundagod-Bankapur route, so I am not sure if there were additonal diversions elsewhere while going to Hubli.

I feel these diversions are not much of a bother, as mentally we are all prepared for the worst and the diversions themselves were better managed.
Old 4th January 2021, 16:57   #5030
BHPian

Update from Bangalore-Goa trip from 26 Dec to 02 Jan.

26/Dec - Started from home near IIM B at 8:30 AM, reached NICE road at 9:00 AM and reached Hubli at 2:30 PM. We were carrying packed food so took only a 15 mins break at a Shell pump, Roads were mostly great especially after Tumkur, about 10-12 diversions from Chitradurga to Hubli. Most of them are easily manageable in day light, maybe slightly trickier by night.

Took a break at The President Hotel on 26/12 night. Good, clean, well run place for night, appropriate care being taken for COVID.

27/ Dec - Took the Dharwad by pass, the road via Anmod ghat up to Goa border is absolutely atrocious. Once you cross into Goa, roads are brilliant. Started from Hubli at 9:30 AM, reached Candolim at 1:30 PM. The anmod ghat stretch especially for sedans and hatch backs is avoidable. I would dread driving there without day light.

I was at the Taj Holiday village, typical Taj consistency, I was at peace with the protocols followed for COVID.

29/Dec - Drove down from Candolim to Palolem, typical North Goa to South Goa drive. Started at 12:00 noon, reached Palolem at 2:00 PM.

Stayed at Sobit Sarobar Portico - a good, clean, well run place & easily walkable from the beach. This is a blessing since parking at the Palolem beach is a mess. Also the hotel was choc a bloc full of Bangalore cars which was interesting.

01/Jan - Took the Karwar, Shimoga route for return. Started from Palolem at 11:15 AM, was at Royal Orchid Shimoga at 4:45 PM. Again had packed lunch, we took a 30 min break the Jog falls and had our lunch while enjoying the view. I prefer this road overall due to the Anmod ghat section experience. Road were mostly very good, some diversions after Karwar but easily manageable.

Royal Orchid was overall Ok (rooms, service, food) but COVID protocols including masking of staff & guests was very lax, would not recommend in current scenario. I was waiting to get the hell out as soon as possible.

02/Jan - Started from Shimoga after breakfast at 11:30 AM, reached home exactly at 5 PM via Hosadurga, Hiriyur, Tumkur. Took a half hour lunch break at a dhaba near Tumkur.

The whole trip went pretty well since I am generally averse to driving to places more than 200-300 km away but COVID makes you push boundaries. Also interestingly there was absolutely no checking at both KA & Goa state check posts. I was travelling with wife and 5 year old kid, they were pretty comfortable throughout the drive. I was driving my 2015 Vento TSI, which I must say was absolutely flawless and the highway manners were impeccable as well as it went through some pretty bad patches without much of a fuss.

Finally a word of appreciation for this amazing group for all the inputs about this trip.

Last edited by Bhodrolok : 4th January 2021 at 17:00. Reason: Typo
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 12:01   #5031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
This is a blessing since parking at the Palolem beach is a mess. Also the hotel was choc a bloc full of Bangalore cars which was interesting.
The traffic and parking at Palolem is a mess because of Bangalore and Mumbai/Pune based cars!

Have been coming to this beach for the past 13 years and over the years it has become more popular. The road leading to the beach is narrow. So when everyone wants to bring their SUVs right up to the beach, the obvious happens. It gets worse when someone inevitably parks their car right in front of the shops to buy something, or in front of a restaurant while their family goes in to eat, oblivious of the jam they are causing! (Walk a little bit people, it won't kill you!) The Sobit hotel at least has a lot of parking, but none of the other hotels there have sufficient parking.

So the cops have started closing the road over weekends, tourists now have to park their cars in the field just outside the entry road and walk to the beach, it's only about 1km away.

Yes, the local administration has not done a great job of planning, but the road/parking manners (or lack of them) of the KA and MH vehicles are the main cause of the mess at Palolem. (BTW, I drive a KA-03 car myself in Bangalore, so not targeting, but just pointing out what I see happening.)

Last edited by am1m : 5th January 2021 at 12:10.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 14:08   #5032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
... (BTW, I drive a KA-03 car myself in Bangalore, so not targeting, but just pointing out what I see happening.)
I drive KA03 too...and I swear didnt park at Palolem! I think all chaos is caused by KA05
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 10:00   #5033
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the question above, I am not sure if you are asking Bangalore to Hubli or Yellapur to Hubli (return from Goa). Bengaluru and Hubballi for the purists!

There were some diversions while getting into Hubli and I can recall only a couple that bothered me in terms of speed breakers but it was a smooth sail otherwise. I reached Gabbur, and proceeded straight to Hotel Naveen as per Google maps (one single road). I am not familiar with Hubli area. I will Google about your area of stay though. Hubli surprised me with a dedicated bus lane and my daughter is upset about Bangalore not having such a nice thing :-).
Reading this and your original post, I realize that you only drove into Hubli while I only headed out. It is possible that the highway going into Hubli is finished.

BTW, hotels don't seem to make a difference.. they're on the same stretch of NH 67, about 3km apart.

Once again, thanks for the info! @Bhodrolok, @aroonanand we all seem to have made it back from Goa safely, on our own schedules.

Many thanks to this group for all the detailed info.
npal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 10:58   #5034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
@Bhodrolok, @aroonanand we all seem to have made it back from Goa safely, on our own schedules.
Got tested on Sunday, got results negative on Monday so yes made it safe and sound.

Quote:
Yes, the local administration has not done a great job of planning, but the road/parking manners (or lack of them) of the KA and MH vehicles are the main cause of the mess at Palolem.
I agree. Palolem is unfortunately unrecognizable from my first trip there is 2002 while in college. I think they should make the last mile a vehicle free zone by having a parking lot before the final stretch.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th January 2021 at 20:35. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the 1st post.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:02   #5035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
I agree. Palolem is unfortunately unrecognizable from my first trip there is 2002 while in college. I think they should make the last mile a vehicle free zone by having a parking lot before the final stretch.
That is exactly what the cops do on weekends. The field outside the last stretch is used for parking and tourists need to walk to the beach. Even if you walk all the way, it's about a km. If you use one of the several shortcuts to the beach, it's even less. If the local administration shows a little bit of initiative, they can construct a shelter to cover the vehicles so that will encourage more tourists to park there and walk. They can even make some money from parking.

(Lucky guy, you got to see that beach in 2002! It was awesome even 10 years ago, in 2002 it must have been paradise! Please do share any pics from back then if you have them.)

Last edited by am1m : 6th January 2021 at 12:08.
Old 6th January 2021, 20:32   #5036
BHPian

I did Goa trip from 29th Dec to 2nd January. My stay was in South Goa so I took the Chitradurga, Davangere, Haveri, Ranibennur, turn from there, Mundgod, Yellapur, Aversa, Karwar onwards. Some important inputs

*Total 600 km, approx 500 toll one way. Day trip.

*Road break up, 350km of Asian Highway, good roads, except those diversions which are 7-8 in numbers and really long. 100 km of jungle, single lane road but not much traffic and last 150 km of 4 lane highway with a ghat section also in.

*Eateries become scarce once you take the bypass, till Goa.

*I could see a coffee day roughly 300 km from Bangalore and another one on the return may be 250 km from Goa, next to a Kamat and a petrol station.

*Do not know when these diversions will be completed barely saw any work going on. May be some issue with the contractors. Some of them looked like not worked on for many years. But once it is completed I am sure it will be possible to do Goa in 8-9 hours without breaking the speed limit.

*Too many truck as it is also connects to Pune/Mumbai. Slow moving and they really struggle on slopes. One huge one with some 50-60 tyre overturned at a sharp curve of the Ghat section. Someone guided us to a 2 km detour through the jungle and we crossed that over quickly. Near Davanagere, both sides, few police cars checking some documents, not sure what was it for as were not stopped.

*Minor one; as soon as you enter Karnataka on the return leg you are checked by excise guys. My unsolicited recommendation is not to carry anything as nothing is permitted. I am not sure but either you have to pay a big fine or have to surrender liquor bottles.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th January 2021 at 20:36. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 6th January 2021, 23:06   #5037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was awesome even 10 years ago, in 2002 it must have been paradise!
We stayed at Palolem during 2017 year-end, there was not much crowd then and we had a great time. Our hotel was at walk-able distance from Palolem beach. Looking at the feedback here, looks like it is better to visit Goa during off season. Previously we had visited Goa every year-end from 2016 to 2019, however skipped this time and visited coastal Karnataka. Couple of photos of Palolem beach from our 2017 trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-dsc_0393.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-dsc_0394.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 6th January 2021 at 23:08.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 09:23   #5038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Previously we had visited Goa every year-end from 2016 to 2019, however skipped this time and visited coastal Karnataka.
Smart decision! Goa beaches are pretty bad every year-end, with hordes of people all converging on the beaches to bring in the new year and groups of drunk men wandering around. The beaches are littered with bottles and plastic for a few days. Considering the covid situation and looking at the photos of the crowds this year, I'd say it was a really good decision to skip!

Unfortunately, from what I've seen the past decade, there is really no 'off-season' anymore. True, the crowds are relatively lesser from March-May (and I guess during the monsoon from June-Oct), but any three-day weekend these days will see some crowd.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 10:55   #5039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The traffic and parking at Palolem is a mess because of Bangalore and Mumbai/Pune based cars!

Have been coming to this beach for the past 13 years and over the years it has become more popular. The road leading to the beach is narrow.
Its quiet normal on 30-31st to be jammed by KA and MH vehicles, even last year it was almost same, its mostly 1 or 2 day floating crowd. This time added crowd from TS, TN and KL also. Even saw roadside cooking from couple of TN cars between palolem and Agonda, like we see in Hogenikal falls roads. By 1st morning most vehicles were disappeared, and by 2nd it was almost empty. Cottage owner was saying from 5th Jan there is no booking at all, but good thing is Indians spend in 2-3 days what foreigners spend in 15 days.

But this time its more crowd from India, as typically rooms are booked long term by foreigners for 2-3 months, only 20-30% rooms would have been available for Indians on short trip. So this time 95% were available for Indians and was almost full.

New year eve was crazy palolem, shacks looked like locals bars in Bangalore, so spent time in Agonda and Patnem, where there was pretty decent crowd.

As usual parked my car behind the cottage and rented Honda Dio for 5 days, helped me to move around freely between Palolem, Agonda, Patnem. Also places in canacona(Mangalorean Coastal palate hotel for breakfast), etc.

Apart from New year eve, things were normal in Palolem, Did my regular adventure activities as usual

- Everyday Kayaking in Palolem
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20210107-10.42.52-am-1.jpeg

- Horse riding at Agonda on beach
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20210107-10.42.09-am-1.jpeg

- Going to Contigoa national Park
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20210107-10.40.19-am.jpeg
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:21   #5040
Senior - BHPian

And another funny thing I observed this time from youngster(especially form Mumbai) who had been to Palolem 1st time searching for New Year Events, discs, and finally deciding to go to North Goa for events.

If you are to Palolem, then its for those kind of people who was to celebrate New year in beaches, not any closed events like north Goa, Titos etc. Apart from Leapord Valley and Slient Noise(Looks closed this year) nothing much this side in South Goa.

Now Road from Ankola to Palolem is almost 4 lane highway except patches of mountains where they are still blasting. Also saw a tunnel at the entrance of Karwar should be ready soon i guess. Also the 4 lane highway in Goa side is a new route, the old highway is untouched which goes through Contigoa national forest. If 4 lane also happens from Bangalore Shimoga, then it will be an alternative route to Goa, more scenic and almost identical time.

Also stayed at Hotel Mayura at Jog while going to Goa, lovely hotel rooms almost looks like an suite, and what an experience of sitting in front of Jog at night alone after crowd has dispersed.

Last edited by shamanth : 7th January 2021 at 13:32.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks