Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2021, 17:52   #5116
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Thanks indeed folks. Appreciate your replies.

For those who travelled recently, are there any restrictions at the border entry for both Goa and Karnataka for any COVID related guidance? Or is it normal traffic flow with no stoppages?
Did the onward journey on Sat and returned back from Goa on monday. Took the Bankapur, Kalaghatki, Karwar, Canacona route both ways.
Onward, there was not checks at both the checkpoints.
On return, I was stopped at Goa checkpost and asked if I was carrying liqour - no checks. At the KA checkpoint, was asked for all the car papers and lic as well.

I would suggest keep the PUC and insurance papers valid-it might come in handy.

No questions/guidelines on COVID.
Old 11th March 2021, 13:40   #5117
BHPian

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing some valuable latest route information on above threads. I've a trip coming up in next week to Goa from Bangalore and I've planned the route so far in this way,

Plan 1:
Bangalore -> Tumkur -> Davangere -> Mundgod -> Yellapur -> Karwar -> Dona Paula (Goa)
This route is about 640 Kms as per Google Maps and the only concerned now I've on this is covering that 40 Kms stretch from Mundgod to Yellapur. Though I've been driving for a while now and considering that the traffic might be thin on that roure, I might still want to avoid it.

Plan 2:
Bangalore -> Tumkur -> Davangere -> Haveri -> Hubli -> Kalaghatgi -> Yellapur -> Karwar -> Dona Paula (Goa)
This route is about 690 Kms based on the fact that Hubli -> Kalaghatgi -> Yellapur stretch might be little extra for me. And this one I've taken into consideration after reading @paragsachania sir's post above.

Although there is one more route mentioned above, Bangalore -> Hubli -> Khanapur -> Chorla Ghat -> Dona Paula (Goa)
And even though @ertigiat mentioned Chorla ghat is ready, if somebody else has covered it recently will add more to my assurance of taking that route. Otherwise I'll go with Plan 1.

I've planned to leave from Bengaluru early in the morning around 3 AM and try to reach Goa by 5 at max. Any suggestions will be helpful
Old 11th March 2021, 13:51   #5118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post

I would suggest keep the PUC and insurance papers valid-it might come in handy.

No questions/guidelines on COVID.
Thanks for sharing this info, I guess I didn't see this before posting my query. So, if I'm not mistaken you would have taken Bankapura -> Shiggaon -> Kalaghatgi -> Yellapur -> Karwar route right?
How were the road conditions as compared to Mundgod -> Yellapur route?

Will it be safe to travel with family on that route? considering restroom-stops or if any good restaurants on the way?
Old 11th March 2021, 15:20   #5119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravarag View Post
Thanks for sharing this info, I guess I didn't see this before posting my query. So, if I'm not mistaken you would have taken Bankapura -> Shiggaon -> Kalaghatgi -> Yellapur -> Karwar route right?
How were the road conditions as compared to Mundgod -> Yellapur route?

Will it be safe to travel with family on that route? considering restroom-stops or if any good restaurants on the way?
Thats right. You dont have to go till Hubli. Divert from NH to Tadas->Kalaghatgi. Tadas to Kalaghatgi is narrow road with poor surface and occassional potholes but thats just short distance.

I started from HSR layout at 4:15am and reached Agonda at 2:30pm. There is an Apoorva resorts that is open only at 8:00AM. I reached there at 7:30 and had to go further ahead. Stopped at place called Suki restaturant. The food was decent - similar to the darshinis in Blr. Restrooms are average. If choosing Apoorva, plan to be there only by 8:00am.

I had a coffee break at 10:30/11:00 at Hotel Indraprasta just after Yellapura. Below par toilets but the place was crowded.

I had lunch at Karwar at 12:30 at Swetha Lunch home ( Yumm seafood ).

I dont see any issue with safety on the entire route.

Hope this helps.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 10:18   #5120
BHPian

Quote:
Thats right. You dont have to go till Hubli. Divert from NH to Tadas->Kalaghatgi. Tadas to Kalaghatgi is narrow road with poor surface and occassional potholes but thats just short distance.

Hope this helps.
Any specific reason you avoided going via Mundgod - Yellapur route? From the maps, it seems it is almost 50kms lesser.

Asking because I have a trip planned later this month. With family and small kids included.
Old 12th March 2021, 10:37   #5121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Any specific reason you avoided going via Mundgod - Yellapur route? From the maps, it seems it is almost 50kms lesser.

Asking because I have a trip planned later this month. With family and small kids included.
My understanding from the earlier discussion was that the entire bankapur-mundgod-yellapur road is narrow. In the route i took, only Tadas-kalaghatgi route is narrow.

Also, its only 20 kms longer if you choose Tadas. You also get more distance on NH.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-20210312_103532.png
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 11:04   #5122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My understanding from the earlier discussion was that the entire bankapur-mundgod-yellapur road is narrow.
Bankapura Mungod isn't narrow. Its the Mungod Yellapura route that is narrow. I have updated the conditions along with a short video here from my drive last week.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th March 2021 at 11:06.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 15:59   #5123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
While Mundgod route though can be 20 to 30 minutes shorter, about 50-55km of the ~70km SH6 route is narrow(SH6 only really broadens after the point where SH1 intersects it, while in direction towards Bankapur) with two cars can cross each other only by getting one tyre off-road mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Bankapura Mungod isn't narrow. Its the Mungod Yellapura route that is narrow.
Hi Parag,

Even I had been under impression that only Mungod - Yellapur is very narrow road and Mungod - Bankapur is normal enough broad village road to mention/consider about, until I did it first time; and my finding was as described in my previous update quoted above. While coming from Yellapur, the equally narrow road continues after Mungod uptil SH6 & SH1 junction near konankeri/chandapur (as visible in google map). I noted this junction while driving and marked it in my google map after reaching home and measured its length from Yellapur(which I shared in my quoted update). I did this as I was taken by surprise as about half of the Mungod - Bankapur was equally narrow too. Have shown this junction in the attached pic and putting gmap location link of the junction too here.

Can you please check this info and verify whether I have mis-observed or erred in these observations or the road do continues relatively narrow uptil this junction and only after this point gets adequately wide to not care about ORVM and tyre off-roading?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-mungod.png  

Old 15th March 2021, 22:20   #5124
BHPian

Hello all,

I need information on this route. I have a planned visit to Goa later this month. My stay is booked near Palolem. I need to visit a friend at Belgaum and then head to Palolem.

Google maps suggests Belgaum - Khanapur -Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary -Mollem- Colem-Shigao-Palolem .

Has anyone tried this route ? Distance is 147 KM

Name:  BelgaumGoa.PNG
Views: 1761
Size:  270.1 KB

On my way back, I need to drive back to Hubli, stay there for a day and then return to Bangalore. Google maps suggest two routes

One is Palolem - Karwar-Yellapur and the other is Palolem - Majali - Dandeli- Dharwad - Hubli.

Please let me know the road conditions for this journey. The Karwar Yellapur route seems a little faster.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-palolemhubli.png
Old 15th March 2021, 22:32   #5125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
On my way back, I need to drive back to Hubli, stay there for a day and then return to Bangalore. Google maps suggest two routes

One is Palolem - Karwar-Yellapur and the other is Palolem - Majali - Dandeli- Dharwad - Hubli.

Please let me know the road conditions for this journey. The Karwar Yellapur route seems a little faster.
I'm not sure of the answer to your first query.
For your second query that I've quoted, definitely take the Palolem - Karwar - Yellapur - Hubli route. I drove on this route for my onward journey on March 10 and for my return journey on March 14 (thanks to paragsachania's helpful post (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) and dashcam video) as part of my trip from Hyderabad to Agonda in south Goa via Hubli. The road conditions were good.

Last edited by FlashMustang : 15th March 2021 at 22:36.
FlashMustang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 07:55   #5126
BHPian

Has anyone visited the Tibetan camp in Mundgod? How much time would it take to explore the place and what about food options? If the camp is worth a detailed exploration i plan to spend the night in Karwar and proceed to North Goa the next day. Any thoughts?
Old 19th March 2021, 13:24   #5127
BHPian

I just did Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore last week. Took the infamous Bangalore -> Chitradurga -> Davanegere -> Haveri -> Dharwad -> Anmod -> Londa -> Panaji route. This route is very good until Dharwad with 6 lane highway. Road is under construction @ Dharwad and you cannot move beyond 30-40 kmph post that.
Then once you cross Ramnagar, there are few bad patches where the road is under construction.

Crossing the Anmod ghat is the biggest challenge. The NH748 road which goes straight is already at its worst, as mentioned by others in the forum. You have to take a right @ Tinai Ghat section road and then reach Anmod Checkpost via that route. Road condition is better but then the road in itself is small. If there is a vehicle approaching from other side then crossing it will be a problem.

After anmod check-post I do not see any issue with the road. This is the usual ghat section road around Doodhsagar which is very scenic and twisty.

On the way back I wanted to take the Karwar -> Kumta -> Sagar -> Jog Falls -> Shivmoga -> Arsikere -> Neelamangala route but due to issues with google maps, it sent us to a non-toll road to Karwar from Goa, which took 3 hours of our time and we ended up joining NH150 from Shivamogga. This made us travel for 16 hours to reach Bangalore.

Hope this gives clarity to people planning to travel.

P.S. The road via Kumta -> Sagar -> Shivamoga -> Arsikere -> Neelamangala is a single lane road without proper lighting until Arsikere after which it is a 4 lane highway. I would suggest to take the NH 150, Chitradurga route as it has only few bad patches but the road on most of the route is very well lit.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2021 at 06:54. Reason: Mention of illegal speeds
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 21:21   #5128
BHPian

I asked around for the best routes from Belgaum to Palolem.

Majority of them recommended Chorla Ghat. However, it seems people at Checkpost are asking for covid negative certificate on both side. Is this true ? I do not have solid information though.
Old 25th March 2021, 09:52   #5129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
I just did Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore last week.
How about COVID related checking at both Goa and Karnataka borders? Did anybody stop you while going/coming asking for negative RT-PCR test reports?
Old 25th March 2021, 10:53   #5130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
How about COVID related checking at both Goa and Karnataka borders? Did anybody stop you while going/coming asking for negative RT-PCR test reports?
No checking.Nothing. I was just stopped at Karwar check-post while exiting south goa for the number of bottle of drinks I might be carrying.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks