Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 07:22   #1
BANNED

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Obviously via Mangalore is out so I have three choices
  1. Bang-Hubli-Ankola-Goa. I was planning this till a friend said that the Chitradurga Hubli stretch is still not done and the Hubli - Ankola is not good
  2. Bang-Tumkur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Goa is what he suggested
  3. Bangalore – Tumkur – Sira – Chitradurga – Davangere – Ranibennur – Haveri – Sirsi – Mirjan – Ankola – Karwar – Canacona – Palolem Beach - Madgaon – Panaji is what I read here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/21721-travelogue-bangalore-goa.html

but that is a pre-monsoon report.

Any ideas on which might me the best route? Distance a bit more is fine as long as the roads are good.
deepakvrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2007, 09:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Deepak,

Pelase go thru. this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/594613-post30.html

Hope this will help you.

I suggest Blre -> Shimoga -> Siddapura -> Sirsi -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa trust me this is best route to goa right now.

I have travelled 2 weeks back in this route.

Please ask for directions every time you find major road crossing If you are travelling first time to avoid extra travelling in wrong route.

You can call me while driving for any doubt as well I can help you.

Ravi.
Old 15th October 2007, 17:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,
Idea no. 3 is better though it is little long. You will enjoy the driving. I have gone in the same route around 2 months back. We had gone in Alto and had taken around 11 hrs to reach Panaji. The distance is approx 663 kms. (one way). The road is not good between Rannibennur & Davangere as the NH is under construction. Otherwise, rest of the other route is good.
Old 16th October 2007, 13:57   #4
BHPian

I just did b,lore to goa last week.
the route i took was - b.lore - hubli - ankola - karwar - margoa
b,lore - hubli NH4 - roads good till davangere, from davangere to ranebennur its under construction ( rather its in the same state since early 2006 when i did this sector by bus ) ranebennur till hubli long stretches are available with less diversions.

hubli - ankola used NH63 road condition good till yellapur
yellapur to ankola road is not bad but u find stretches where tarmac has worn off to reveal the previous layer causing discomfort at higher speeds.
caution to exercised this sector is of trucks hauling iron ore and lp gas
while going to goa i hit this sector post noon road was empty most of the time. while coming back it was btw 0800 - 1030 plenty of truck traffic

ankola - karwar - margoa nh17 road condition good except for about 30 kms inside goa till cancona thereafter roads are good through out goa.

left b,lore - tumkur toll plaza 0600 arrvd margoa 1830
left margoa - 0500 arrvd tumkur tollplaza 1700

if exclude break time driving time would be 10 and half to 11 hrs apprx

dist - 620 kms appx
car - palio 1.6 gtx s10
Old 16th October 2007, 14:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Deepak,
Idea no. 3 is better though it is little long. You will enjoy the driving. I have gone in the same route around 2 months back. We had gone in Alto and had taken around 11 hrs to reach Panaji. The distance is approx 663 kms. (one way). The road is not good between Rannibennur & Davangere as the NH is under construction. Otherwise, rest of the other route is good.
I completely agree. At the moment this is best possible route to Goa...

Abhi
Old 17th October 2007, 18:40   #6
BANNED

Thanks guys for the help and the info. I did this trip on the 13th and took my old route because it was before answers came up here.

I did B-lore-Hubli-Ankola-Goa and it was a NIGHTMARE. Beyond Chitradurga 100km was a struggle and the Hubli _ Ankola was hell too, as was the Karwar - Margao entry road of Goa.

I took 9 hours driving time on this route last year and this time it took me 11 and a half hours driving time.

I want an alternative route for the return.

Snaronikar, Abhi,

I looked for this route while coming and the turn off from Haveri to Sirsi looked so small it inspired no confidence at all. For the return if I take this route where is the turning from Ankola to Sirsi?

Ravi,

Obviously you have the latest first hand knowledge so I would be very grateful for any help. I did read the post that you have referred to and I am still a bit confused here.

Quote:
I suggest Blre -> Shimoga -> Siddapura -> Sirsi -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa trust me this is best route to goa right now.

I have travelled 2 weeks back in this route.

I have traveled 2 weeks back in this route.
This I presume is NOT the Honnavar, Jog, Shimoga route? If so is it better than the Jog route? And if so could you again please guide me on how to get onto this route when I am driving from Karwar?

Again guys I am sorry for the delay in my follow up but I have no Airtel coverage in my resort in Goa and I had to go to a local cybercafe for this posting.

Mods - could you please delete the double post below.

Last edited by deepakvrao : 17th October 2007 at 18:44.
Old 20th October 2007, 18:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

The road from Haveri to Sirsi is also OK. But from Ankola to Sirsi, I'am not sure of the turning. But the NH is on this route is good.
Old 21st October 2007, 07:29   #8
BANNED

OK Guys,

Just got back and came to the conclusion that the only route worth taking to Goa is AIR.

Goa to Honnavar is HORRID, Honavar to Jog is not bad, not great though. Sagar onwards till beyond Shimoga is HORRID-almost halfway from Shimoga to Tumkur.

Took me 15 hours to get from Benaulim to Bangalore - same took me 9.5 hours last year.
deepakvrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Oops Doc,seems like i need to change my plans for my trip.Planning for a karwar trip and was thinking of taking the Tumkur-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Sirsi-Mirjan-Ankola-Karwar route.. Or will be better if I take the GQ route and turn at Haveri towards Sirsi (as suggested by akRoy)
Been on the GQ before and and know that Chitradurga to Davangere is not in good condition. How is the road condition after that (Davanger-Ranibennur-Haveri) now ?
Also how bad is the road from Shimoga to Jog ? Is it too bad ? I don't want to give Jog a miss as I've never been there before..
I won't take the Honnavar -Ankola road.. but as posted by few it seems from Ankola to KArwar the road is ok.But has it deteriorated too much now (Ankola-Karwar stretch)?
PS: Small size road is not much of a problem but it shouldn't have those crater sized potholes.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 22nd October 2007 at 12:12.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Kaushik, I am still suggesting on the Haveri-Sirsi route...You will loose time if you want to take Shimoga - Sirsi route as reaching Shimoga itself is time consuming...
generally NH17 from Mirjan up northwards towards Karwar, Goa border is in good shape...

Abhi
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

I actually wanted to see the Jog Falls as I've never been there and that's why I wanted to take that route.But if the road condition is too bad then I'll take that HAveri route only.But is the shimoga Jog stretch is not at all drivable?

And anyway I'm thinking of taking the GQ while returning.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:31   #12
BANNED

Both akroy and I have been on the Haveri - Sirsi - Devimane route. Haveri to Sirsi is good but not great. Beyond Sirsi is just fantastic.

You can find details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/428011-post12.html

Last edited by hrag : 22nd October 2007 at 17:32.
Old 22nd October 2007, 18:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I actually wanted to see the Jog Falls as I've never been there and that's why I wanted to take that route.But if the road condition is too bad then I'll take that HAveri route only.But is the shimoga Jog stretch is not at all drivable?

And anyway I'm thinking of taking the GQ while returning.
Then you take the Shimoga - Sirsi route while going and return via Mirjan - Sirsi - haveri route...
It is not that bad that it cannot be motorable...start very early say 3AM so that you can reach Shimoga by 9AM...

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 22nd October 2007 at 18:32.
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Waking up at 3AM is impossible for me ;-). Planning to start by 5.30AM around and probably would be staying somewhere in between if we get too late to reach Karwar.Please advice on staying place nearby that Jog/Sagar area.Will be taking lots of breaks anyway for photo-shoots and all,so not in a big hurry to reach the destination.
Old 23rd October 2007, 07:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Waking up at 3AM is impossible for me ;-). Planning to start by 5.30AM around and probably would be staying somewhere in between if we get too late to reach Karwar.Please advice on staying place nearby that Jog/Sagar area.Will be taking lots of breaks anyway for photo-shoots and all,so not in a big hurry to reach the destination.
Still I would suggest to do Karwar in one day rather wasting a night somewhere else...You can spend atmost 2 hours at Jog Falls...If you can start the car at 5AM (means you have wakeup at 4AM) and pass Neelamangala before dawn, you can still cover Shimoga quickly, have lunch somewhere in Shimoga and then take the Shimoga - Sirsi route and reach Karwar by 6PM...

Are you staying in Devbagh beach Resort?
Abhi

Most Viewed