Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 12:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need help: Mumbai to Bangalore - driving with a dog

Hi

This is my first post. I am driving down to Bangalore from Mumbai this weekend. Our dog - an Irish Setter - will be accompanying me.

I have planned to leave Mumbai at 3 am Sunday, stop at Belgaum for the day, then start early morning (around 5 am) for Bangalore so that I can reach Bnglr around noon.

I would have done the trip without a nightrest - I will have co-driver - but the dog can't travel 16-17 hours at a stretch. He insists on standing throughout the journey and barking at everything that moves :-)

Any advice on where I can stay in Belgaum or some other midway place - a place that is family friendly, and accepts dogs?

I went through the 3 page Bangalore-Mumbai road tri[p thread, but any updates - e.g. on what to avoid, where to stop for lunch etc - would be welcome.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2007, 13:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sankam Residency is a good hotel at Belgaum just off the NH4, but don't know about their dog-friendliness.

.::HOTEL SANKAM RESIDENCY, BELGAUM::.* - sankam, belgaum, hotels in belgaum, north karnataka, hospitality, business hotel, sankamthai
I find the contact numbers are [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]Telephone : +91 831 2455838, 4207888[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

You could stop over at Hotel Mahendra in Satara on NH4 for lunch, but since the doggie is there betetr to try out any of the open-door dhabas on the Pune-Kolhapur stretch.

You could reach Belgaum in 6-8 hours.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2007, 13:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I have planned to leave Mumbai at 3 am Sunday, stop at Belgaum for the day, then start early morning (around 5 am) for Bangalore so that I can reach Bnglr around noon.
If you want to stop belgaum then why start at 3AM (if you continue, you will be in Bangalore by 4PM )
Mumbai - Belgaum is a 6 hour affair (if you want a small break in between)...Start at 10AM, have multiple breaks in between and reach belgaum by 6PM...

Abhi
Old 12th October 2007, 13:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for getting back

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Sankam Residency is a good hotel at Belgaum just off the NH4, but don't know about their dog-friendliness.

.::HOTEL SANKAM RESIDENCY, BELGAUM::.* - sankam, belgaum, hotels in belgaum, north karnataka, hospitality, business hotel, sankamthai
I find the contact numbers are [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]Telephone : +91 831 2455838, 4207888[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

You could stop over at Hotel Mahendra in Satara on NH4 for lunch, but since the doggie is there betetr to try out any of the open-door dhabas on the Pune-Kolhapur stretch.

You could reach Belgaum in 6-8 hours.
Thanks!

I called up a few places, and found a hotel that accepts dogs - Hotel Ramdev in Belgaum.

I was planning to leave at 3 am to avoid the morning rush, and also leave an option for proceeding to Bangalore on the same day if the dog feels upto it. But I think 4:30 am makes better sense perhaps - to avoid Mumbai as well as Pune outskirts traffic.

I will be driving a 4 yr old Tata Indica v2. This will its longest trip so far.
Old 12th October 2007, 15:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Leaing Bombay at 3 am is my favourite time - Pune expressway is empty, you clock through Pune by 600 am and the next stretch of road is very good. The sugarcane cutiing season is on and the roads become crowded later in the morning and day between Satara and Kolhapur, so an early morning start may be the bets for the current season. And, yes, you can continue to Bangalore if the doggie takes the ride well. My best time to Belgaum starting 3 am is 5.5 hours, which means I reach it by 830-900 am
Old 12th October 2007, 16:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Great, practical inputs - thanks Kumar!
Old 21st October 2011, 15:04   #7
BHPian

Re: Need help: Mumbai to Bangalore - driving with a dog

Hi

We are leaving for bangalore in two cars (1 scorpio & 1 esteem) on 26th Oct night to Bangalore from Thane (mira road)

There are 4 couples in these cars and 3 kids. We plan to start at 9 pm on 26th and reach as far as satara; sleep for the night and then leave for bangalore the next morning.

But since there are kids; they could sleep in the night and then we eat food at the stopover and then head early to reach bangalore by afternoon/evening.

We also leave for coorg from bangalore (jp nagar) on 29th morning and then head back to mumbai from coorg on 31st and reach mumbai on 1st morning.

Need help on the route, how good or bad they are, where we need to be careful; is it wise to leave on 26th or early 27th morning.

Need help on
1) Route (thane-bangalore) (bangalore-coorg) (coorg-mumbai)
2) Time taken to travel if we leave on 26th night
3) Ideal place to stay enroute (inexpensive) the distance and time taken to reach there
4) road conditions
5) route maps
6) good stopovers/ eateries / dhabas enroute

since there are 2 vehicles - i intend making a docket for both cars - with maps and other route / directions; this way will keep the ever chattering wives quite

HV Kumar - you had sorted my travel 4 years back to Bangalore / Mangalore and back; maybe you can do so this time again; if you happen to read this post i mean

Also some nice scenic locales that we can view / visit - read somewhere about the banergatta road to hosur (exit) if i am right which is a good drive too on my way back!

Look forward to your immediate feedbacks... just 5 days to go
Old 21st October 2011, 17:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
We also leave for coorg from bangalore (jp nagar) on 29th morning and then head back to mumbai from coorg on 31st and reach mumbai on 1st morning.

Need help on the route, how good or bad they are, where we need to be careful; is it wise to leave on 26th or early 27th morning.

Need help on
3) Ideal place to stay enroute (inexpensive) the distance and time taken to reach there
4) road conditions
5) route maps

HV Kumar - you had sorted my travel 4 years back to Bangalore / Mangalore and back; maybe you can do so this time again; if you happen to read this post i mean

Also some nice scenic locales that we can view / visit - read somewhere about the banergatta road to hosur (exit) if i am right which is a good drive too on my way back!

Bombay-Bangalore road is fine. If you want to avoid staying in Bangalore, you can take the NICE Road to bypass the city and get directly onto Mysore road. Mysore city also can be bypassed via its Ring Road.

I think if you leave the night from Bombay, it is best you make it in one shot to Bangalore instead of landing up after 1-2 am in Satara.

From Bangalore, Madikeri is hardly 5-6 hours drive on good roads.

I would suggest you return the same way to Bombay. If you are looking for chnage, and are prepared for 2-laned and some good and bad roads, maybe you can come via Somwarpet, Hassan, Chickmagalur & Shimoga to Harihar, where you join NH4 back to Bombay.

I have a ready-made Bombay-Bangalore route profile (with hotels, etc), but have to work out for Bangalore-Madikeri which I can do if you wish.
Old 21st October 2011, 20:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Hi

We are leaving for bangalore in two cars (1 scorpio & 1 esteem) on 26th Oct night to Bangalore from Thane (mira road)

There are 4 couples in these cars and 3 kids. We plan to start at 9 pm on 26th and reach as far as satara; sleep for the night and then leave for bangalore the next morning.

But since there are kids; they could sleep in the night and then we eat food at the stopover and then head early to reach bangalore by afternoon/evening.

Need help on
4) road conditions
5) route maps

since there are 2 vehicles - i intend making a docket for both cars - with maps and other route / directions; this way will keep the ever chattering wives quite

Did you forget the dog? I checked this thread after a long time but didn't find the dog part. A few years ago I stopped overnight at Haveri and saw a family check into a hotel there with their dog, no fuss. I suppose if you are staying only the night the hotel staff aren't too particular. All the best.
Old 21st October 2011, 20:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Did you forget the dog? I checked this thread after a long time but didn't find the dog part.
Actually the "dog" is not a part of the drive. That belongs to the actual thread by nilanjan & not saildrive. So no worries on the pet.
Old 21st October 2011, 23:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I have a ready-made Bombay-Bangalore route profile (with hotels, etc), but have to work out for Bangalore-Madikeri which I can do if you wish.

Yes HVK

it will be a big help; please do share. we have to go to bangalore as we have a friends to visit and stay for a day or two.

also since there are 4 couples and 3 kids; driving all through the night will be a bit tough since it is the first day of diwali - so we plan to reach as far as we can till 2 pm say satara for instance. try and have some sleep and then next start afresh.

there is no dog with us - this is cos there was just one post on bombay to bangalore route...so decided to write on the same the other post was from banglaroe to bombay. wanted to be more specific.

anyways thanks for all your suggestions and help!
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Bombay-Bangalore detailed route profile is here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BzW...jODgz&hl=en_GB
Old 27th April 2017, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Hi
A friend of mine is traveling from Chennai to Mumbai on 22nd May 17 in his xuv 500 with his wife and a 2 year old golden retriever. Would appreciate if a place near / in Belgaum preferably near the highway can be suggested for nightstay , which allows pets.
Regards
Old 27th April 2017, 14:44   #14
BHPian

My routes to north Kerala always ends up with a evening break at Davangere. Then turning off at Sira, through SHs to Mysore, and onwards. Two alternatives for the turning off Sira or Hiriyur. Roads 8 months ago were just fine for a Duster ride.
Is there a better alternative than this?
Old 27th April 2017, 15:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Cruiser View Post
Hi
A friend of mine is traveling from Chennai to Mumbai on 22nd May 17 in his xuv 500 with his wife and a 2 year old golden retriever. Would appreciate if a place near / in Belgaum preferably near the highway can be suggested for nightstay , which allows pets.
Regards
Have stayed at a place called Nature&I a couple of times while travelling with pets. Middle of a fruit orchard.

The place is comfortable for a stopover. A bit away from the town so no good food options around.

They have a website: http://natureni.com/
jaibir is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed