Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2008, 11:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Latest Updates Required

Hi Friends,

It has been almost a year exactly when I opened this thread. Never got the chance to do this trip.

Now that I got my Verna I am going to do this trip right after Diwali when I have a few days off.

Any latest updates / tips / suggestions for Delhi - Amritsar ? New Food Joints / Road conditions ??

Thanks
Varun
Old 11th October 2008, 11:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hi Friends,

It has been almost a year exactly when I opened this thread. Never got the chance to do this trip.

Now that I got my Verna I am going to do this trip right after Diwali when I have a few days off.

Any latest updates / tips / suggestions for Delhi - Amritsar ? New Food Joints / Road conditions ??

Thanks
Varun
Road conditions are good since you would be on NH-1.
Drop your speeds after Jalandhar since road is 2 Lane.

Major food joints will be at Murthal,Karnal,(Usual Dhabas).you have 2 Mcdonalds between Ambala ambala and Ludhiana.Then Mc donalds,Haveli and
Lucky Dhaba in Jalandhar(all of them are at stone throw distance from each other).

I would suggest to keep your tummies empty for delicious food in amritsar
Old 11th October 2008, 11:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

hi varun i recrntly did agra to delhi to amritsar we have many good food joints on the way to amritsar one resturent is near ludhinana called haveli they have a fix buffe its around 125 per person and then in amritsar the are to resturents the brothers and brahva da dhaba both are near the golden temple,i personely like the brahva da dhaba both are veg rest:

if u need a hotel near the golden temple go for city heart its just on walking distance from golden temple following are the numbers for the hotel.

+911832292282
+911832545186

there are many other good hotel but not around the golden temple
Old 11th October 2008, 14:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes woof, thats the place.

We stop at a dhaba 1km before zilmil. Its our fav place. the best chicken. Once we drove 100kms from noida at night just to have chicken, because we felt hungry late night(early morning you can say) and wanted to eat butter chicken.
I can give you Longitude/Latitude coords for the same if you want. I have it marked on the GPS
Hi Tsk,

Could you please share the co ordinates. Have a lot of foodie friends traveling there.

thanks

Regards
M M
Old 11th October 2008, 19:31   #50
BANNED

You would encounter around 4 toll plazas on your trip from Delhi to ASR. Delhi to Jalandhar is double road & journey is ok, its only from Jal. to Asr. that the road is single & traffic is maddening. No, wonder this section of the road is also known as the "death highway", due to numerous accidents taking place on a daily basis on this illfaten stretch.
For refreshments, there's a tourist spot in Karnal near a lake, its great, it has McDonalds, Pizza hut, Cafe coffee day & a dosa corner all in one.
Later near Ludhiana, precisely Doraha, McDonald's is there. Im not suggesting anything inside Ludhiana as you would probably be bypassing the town.
Then in Jalandhar, Haveli or Lucky dhaba are the best.
Finally famous eating places in Amritsar are- Bharawan da dhaba- near Golden Temple, Kesar da dhaba- again in Temple's vicinity. Also, try Lassi from near this place, its truly addictive!
Another spot for eating is on Lawerence road- Kanha sweets, you can savour the tastes of puri channa at this place.
Old 12th October 2008, 12:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Not to forget the famous Bansal ki Pinniyan that are to die for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Finally famous eating places in Amritsar are- Bharawan da dhaba- near Golden Temple, Kesar da dhaba- again in Temple's vicinity. Also, try Lassi from near this place, its truly addictive!

Another spot for eating is on Lawerence road- Kanha sweets, you can savour the tastes of puri channa at this place.
Old 12th October 2008, 15:33   #52
BANNED

@GD, I was going to mention them, but thought maybe young boys would not like sweets & stuff. Anyway, Bansal sweets is also Amritsar's speciality.
About non. veg. stuff in Asr., there is a place called- BHEERA CHICKEN situated on Majitha road, the place is known for Tandori Delights.
Do not forget to taste lassi from hall bazaar near Golden Temple.
Also, the ultimate thing would be having Langar at Darbar Sahib amidst devotees, its most exqisite food, laced with toppings of spirituality, equalness, sharing & devotion.
Old 12th October 2008, 20:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE IN PARTICULAR

I pity the young generation of today who throw to the winds the health hazards while gorging on Pizzas, Colas, Icecreams etc, but baulk at the thought of traditional Indian dishes that are not as harmful as they are projected to be. I for one love them the most and get my quota in winter from my friends coming from Amritsar.

I also have been singly unfortunate of not been able to partake in the Langar at Darbar Sahib due to various reasons on my couple of visits to the city..

Quote:
@GD, I was going to mention them, but thought maybe young boys would not like sweets & stuff. Anyway, Bansal sweets is also Amritsar's speciality.

About non. veg. stuff in Asr., there is a place called- BHEERA CHICKEN situated on Majitha road, the place is known for Tandori Delights.
Do not forget to taste lassi from hall bazaar near Golden Temple.

Also, the ultimate thing would be having Langar at Darbar Sahib amidst devotees, its most exqisite food, laced with toppings of spirituality, equalness, sharing & devotion.
Old 12th October 2008, 20:48   #54
BANNED

@Gd, yes, you are right, Western fad foods might be doing more bad than our own Indian delicacies. I myself love traditional Indian recepies & prefer our own food rather than falling in for Western or fast food.
Well I almost commute to Asr. on a daily basis & sometimes go to Bansal also, as whenever we distribute Sweets, Bansal is the choice. So, you can always place an order with me & I'll be more than happy to oblige!
Regarding "Guru Ka Langar", I must say if you have missed this, you've missed everything & the pulse of Punjab!
Old 13th October 2008, 08:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Major food joints will be at Murthal,Karnal,(Usual Dhabas).you have 2 Mcdonalds between Ambala ambala and Ludhiana.Then Mc donalds,Haveli and Lucky Dhaba in Jalandhar(all of them are at stone throw distance from each other).
Thanks for the tip akshay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
hi varun i recrntly did agra to delhi to amritsar we have many good food joints on the way to amritsar one resturent is near ludhinana called haveli they have a fix buffe its around 125 per person and then in amritsar the are to resturents the brothers and brahva da dhaba both are near the golden temple
Karan, That seems like a nice place then to stop for a meal on the way back - Haveli. Asr - I know Bhrawan da Dhaba is quite famous there.

Quote:
You would encounter around 4 toll plazas on your trip from Delhi to ASR. Delhi to Jalandhar is double road & journey is ok, its only from Jal. to Asr. that the road is single & traffic is maddening.Then in Jalandhar, Haveli or Lucky dhaba are the best.
Roads I have heard are fine. Is the Panipat flyover now complete ? That was the worst part of the entire GT road when I last drove down. I think it's done now, na ?

Will have breakfast at Kanha

Quote:
Bheera was the one name I was looking for. I think he featured in Asia Food on Discover Channel.

Of course, will have the Langar as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I pity the young generation of today who throw to the winds the health hazards while gorging on Pizzas, Colas, Icecreams etc, but baulk at the thought of traditional Indian dishes that are not as harmful as they are projected to be. I for one love them the most and get my quota in winter from my friends coming from Amritsar.
Arre - Guru Bhai, you think a good Indian meal can beat a Pizza. No Way. I still perfer a good plate of Rajma Chawal or Cholle Bhature or Butter Chicken to a Burger or Pizza any day.

BTW - This thread has become a Food thread once again !! I am not complaining though !!
Old 13th October 2008, 10:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Roads I have heard are fine. Is the Panipat flyover now complete ? That was the worst part of the entire GT road when I last drove down. I think it's done now, na ?
[/quote]

Yup it's done..

It is actually necessary to have a good knowledge of food joints while on a trip as one can always have something different from usual Breakfasts
Old 13th October 2008, 16:24   #57
BANNED

Yes, Panipat flyover is complete now & toll plaza charges 20/- for each side.
Yes, Bheera chicken featured on discovery channel.

If you are going to stay in Asr. for a couple of days, Crystal Plaza is a good restaurant for dinners.
In case you like frozen foods, one can take along while driving, there's a place called "Safeway foods" in Ranjit Avenue, they are experts in the field.

Amritsar is the place if one's keen in some hard stuff, its a drinker's paradise! There are numerous joints that offer fantastic non veg. snacks with Spirits(English & Desi).
Old 16th October 2008, 10:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

All Confirmed now. Will be leaving the day after Diwali.

Have to meet someone in Ludhaina so will be stopping in Ludhiana for a few hrs. I plan to leave Delhi before 5 and then proceed towards Ludhaina and then after Lunch towards Amritsar.

Another question - If I have an extra 2 days I would love to go to McLeodGanj. How far is this from Amrtsr ?
Old 16th October 2008, 11:24   #59
Team-BHP Support

If having lunch in Ludhiana, order Rahra chicken from Aman Chicken. You don't get such delicious chicken anywhere else. Its a must of culinary delight, and can only be had there
Old 16th October 2008, 19:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Kochar Saab, you talk of going to Amritsar and yet lament that this thread has become a Food thread? What else do you expect other than 'gourmet joints' if the talks center on Amritsar or more appropriately Punjab?

BTW, I noticed one strange thing - no one out here mentioned anything about the Amritsari Naan and Amritsari machchi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
BTW - This thread has become a Food thread once again !! I am not complaining though !!
Quote:
Yes, Bheera chicken featured on discovery channel.

If you are going to stay in Asr. for a couple of days, Crystal Plaza is a good restaurant for dinners.
In case you like frozen foods, one can take along while driving, there's a place called "Safeway foods" in Ranjit Avenue, they are experts in the field.

Amritsar is the place if one's keen in some hard stuff, its a drinker's paradise! There are numerous joints that offer fantastic non veg. snacks with Spirits(English & Desi).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If having lunch in Ludhiana, order Rahra chicken from Aman Chicken. You don't get such delicious chicken anywhere else. Its a must of culinary delight, and can only be had there

Most Viewed