Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi to Amritsar with Family - Any Suggestions ?

Hi All,

I have a few days holidays after Diwali and I plan to drive from Agra - Delhi and then Delhi - Amritsar with my family. Will visit a few relatives there.

I have never driven up to Amritsar. I have driven up to Chandigarh / Manali a few times but never that way.

I have always been going to Amritsar in Shatabdi, but this time around I thought why not drive there, as I have heard the road are quite good and traffic is also not too bad after Panipat. I will be driving in my Accent.

Will start at 5 - 6 AM from Delhi in the morning.

Any suggestions from you guys ? Any Route Ideas ? Any inputs are welcome from Punjab BHPians !!! Let me know the best dhaba's on the way and where to stop. Cheers !!
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

The route is very very simple.
Go straight till Ludhiana. Take bypass there at the city entrance(ample signboards), and go towards Jalandhar.
After Jalandhar cant you take the bypass again(turn right at major signal) and go all the way to Amritsar.
Jalandhar to Amritsar is mostly undivided road, but is doable in 1.5-2 hours easily.

As for Fuel stops, tank up at the second BP petrol pump(pure for sure) after Shambhu border. while going from Delhi, it will come on the left side.
There is a coffee day also at the same pump, and the fuel there is clean and unadultrated.
Don't know about petrol, but diesel is cheapest in Punjab.
If you start at 6 am, around 11-11:20am you will be cross phagwara, and shortly before Jalandhar is the "Original Haveli".
A great place for vegetarians.
Saag season is on, so do not miss the authentic Makki di roti and Sarson da Saag, which you get there.
Amritsar is Cholle Bhatture and Fish category, with Amritsari macchi famous worldwide.(If you are a N.Veg)
If you want to accessorize your car with authentic truck accessories, in Sirhind right on NH1 is one of the biggest accessory market, for trucks.

Near that region(Sirhind, Gobindgarh, Khanna) watch out for trucks carrying iron rods.
Gobindgarh has lot of iron industry, and those guys are dangerous.

Watch your speed in ludhiana, cops there have 2 speed detecting vans which they sometimes station on the ludhiana bypass. Follow a fast guy and you will be safe.

On the Karnal-Ambala stretch you will see lots of signboards saying "you are watched by Radar" but I have never encountered any speed checks till date(maybe because we cover this stretch late always!).

When you are taking Dehli bypass and you cross the ISBT, watch your speed. Right before the Karnal road(NH1) junction cops hide behind bushes.
The road is 8 lane, empty mostly and the speed limit is 50

If you are looking for a dhaba 2 hours from Delhi, there is Zilmil(opposite side of haveli).
I am not a fan of Karnal Haveli, food there lacks the authentic touch. Zilmil food is more dhaba type and their Aloo Paranthas are amazing, and so is the butter chicken

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd October 2007 at 10:41.
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Petrol is cheapest in Haryana, whereas diesel is cheaper in Punjab. rest tsk has ably covered

Although i'd just say that amritsar is boring roads, and better off done in shatabdi than drive yourself - you will only have to drive to wagah. In amritsar traffic, you're better off on a rickshaw
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ PHAMILYMAN
Although i'd just say that amritsar is boring roads, and better off done in shatabdi than drive yourself - you will only have to drive to wagah. In amritsar traffic, you're better off on a rickshaw
Yeah I suppose so, Let's see, we are actually 3 of us in the car and I thought it's cheaper by car and also more fun. Let's see Thanks for the tip though.

Quote:
@TSK1979
Saag season is on, so do not miss the authentic Makki di roti and Sarson da Saag, which you get there.
Amritsar is Cholle Bhatture and Fish category, with Amritsari macchi famous worldwide.(If you are a N.Veg)
Oh Yeah !! I am a hardcore N.Veg, I love it in Amrtsr. Their Fish is amazing and so are the Aloo Kulcha's.

Thanks for the detailed Route Advise and also the other tips. I am not new to Amrtsr and have my ancestral house there. In fact it is in a very crowded area, so I am still double thinking.

Also I am keen to take the wifey to Wagah Border so I will have to borrow someone's car or rent one which is quite expensive ( another reason why I want to take my car )

How much is the total time duration of Delhi - Amritsar ?

Last edited by vkochar : 23rd October 2007 at 11:54.
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

Total distance around 520 kms.

Will take around 6-8 hrs.. depends on the traffic. Ideally, leave Delhi early in the morning to avoid heavy traffic.
woof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I have done it in 5.5 hours at night (ex-NH1 T Junction, Delhi), I guess 7 hours is the max.
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

From noida to ludhiana it takes 6 hours if you push hard(thanks to Panipat).
Amritsar to Ludhiana is 2 hours if you push(90-110 speeds).
8 hours is a good time to do if you drive fast(not very fast). If you get struck somewhere and if you include food stops it can take upto 9 hours worst case.

I was once struck in Panipat for 1.5 hours. In that time we covered 2kms.
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I was once struck in Panipat for 1.5 hours. In that time we covered 2kms.
Yeah, I know that stretch is really bad, with the flyover being made and all. That is the reason I am more keen on leaving delhi at 5 - 6 AM so that I do not get any traffic till Panipat.
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I know that stretch is really bad, with the flyover being made and all. That is the reason I am more keen on leaving delhi at 5 - 6 AM so that I do not get any traffic till Panipat.
and u wont get cops with Radar guns

cos they come during morning 10-12 and then evening 3-5 only specifically before Karnal

lazy Haryana Police cops

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 23rd October 2007 at 15:22.
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:06   #10
BHPian

Two eating joints that you shouldnt miss on your trip.
Zilmil and Jalandhar Haveli. Try and drop in whenever possible, either when going or on way back.

If possible, it is STRONGLY recommended that you do lunch/dinner at a place called "Rangla Punjab" adjacent to Jalandhar Haveli. Entry tickets to the place are priced a little on the higher side, but easily worth it when you look around (similar to Chowdi Dhani in Jaipur).
And I can confirm that the food is FANTASTIC there.
CAUTION:- Do not forget to take your hajmola/eno etc. with you. They will forcibly feed to as much. LOL
Some pics.

Above two pics are from Rangla Punjab.

Below ones are of Haveli. Rangla Punjab and haveli are owned and managed by the same group.

Haveli - The Traditional Punjabi Veg. Restaurant in Jalandhar, Punjab, India | CruisingIndia.com

I would REALLY recommend you taking your car. It's much more fun and cheaper for a family. 2 kills with one stone.
And dont worry about Amritsar traffic. I have found Delhi city traffic as much stupid.

Also, if you are entering Ludhiana in the morning, then you can choose to take the byepass from Sherpur Chowk (the one that has Appollo hospital) towards Jalandhar
OR
You can simply choose to carry on straight. You will then enter Ludhiana and few kilometers ahead you will Jagroan Pull and the new elevated road above the Old city part. Beyond that, the road goes straight to Jalandhar only. That essentially means, once you are on NH1 from Delhi onwards, just continue going straight no matter what. No byepass tensions or anything else.

I'm in Ludhiana. If you find any problem, give me a call and I'll guide you towards Jalandhar from wherever you are in Punjab.
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:16   #11
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not only the traffic is bad with the numerous flyovers being made, the make shift road underneath is uneven and muddy with big pot holes! This is the place that will take up maximum time.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

@ Scarysculls - this place ' Rang la punjab ' looks very good. One querry though - do they serve Nveg Food as well ?

I think I am going to take the car now. Thanks for the help bro !!

@sunny - are sunny bhai - police ko goli dene ke tip ke liye thanks ;-)

@aZa - yes I know, that is why the eary planning thing.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

Haveli will sell only Veg.
However there is a cluster of Dhabas near Haveli which serve excellent N.Veg food.
rsjaurr or some other Jalandhar members can shed more light on that.

Since the overhead road is complete going through ludhiana is not a problem, but the entrance to the elavated road usually has a big jam in evenings and mornings(upto 11am) because of the traffic signal there.
That said this route is shorter and often takes lesser time.
you need to ignore the signboards for Jalandhar/Amritsar and head straight into city(which is actually the left fork at the roundabout).
Once you enter punjab there are lots of Dhabas(big ones) where you will find lots of cars parked. Most of them serve excellent N.Veg food.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

@tsk1979 - hey thanks for the inputs bro !! If Haveli does not serve N.Veg no point me stopping there.

Ok - So I head inside the city ( Ludhiana ). I suppose it is then a 2 hr drive to Amtitsar from there.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:51   #15
Team-BHP Support

yup 2 hours drive only.
Just under the ambala flyover there is a very famous dhaba(forgot the same) which serves excellent mutton. You can plan for an early morning breakfast there(9am I think).
Apart from Zilmil(which you will reach around 8am) there are not many N.Veg joints in Haryana.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks