Team-BHP - Bangalore - Coorg (2 day trip)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Coorg (2 day trip) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/30435-bangalore-coorg-2-day-trip.html)

Hi All,

I wanted some tips from for a 2-day trip to Madikeri.

The plan is to leave early morning on nov-1,and come back on nov-2 i.e friday by evening or latest 9pm.

So we are plng to stay on thu night, pls suggest the best possible route (if there are more than 1) and the places and order in which to cover them. Also if u know some good budget hotels/Home stays for night stay plz suggest (3 persons in all)

We are plng to cover Madikeri city,Bhagamandala,Talakaveri,Kushalanagar Monastery,Irupu falls,Abbey Falls.

If i have left out any place, pls suggest that too.

Also i heard there are 2 routes one whcih goes thru' Nagarhole, wich i heard is very beautiful route, how much xtra km is it ? and wt is the time required frm blr-coorg and approx road condition at this point of time

Sushruta, banking on u bcos ur suggestion to DSL-Kukke-Horanadu-Sringeri last time helped me a gr8 deal.

Bye, will be looking fwd to ur reply

Thanks
Manjunath, Bangalore
Ford Ikon-Flair 2007

There are a few good travelogue threads in this forum...pls go through it, you will get your answers...
I have 2 travelogues of mine (2006 & 2007), Riju has a few as well...

Abhi

Hey manjunath good idea abt coorg.
Regarding the route you wanted through nagarhole
There are two routes. One is through hunsur thithimathi(coorg) and then you reach the town of gonikoppal.
There is one more route which is awesome as the forest is more dense and the number of vehicles is less through this route. So it is not advicable as it is better you take some person who knows this route atleast on your first time as you will have help when needed. This route is a must if you wanna see elephants coz people are always lucky in spotting them and if it is your day like when my parents were travelling you can see tigers too.

You would have to take a road which leads to HD kote from hunsur. Ask people for directions when you get to hunsur. The route is longer and ends in two places in coorg. One is near kutta and the other is in balele. There is an intersection in the forest with the route to the right going to balele and the one to the left to kutta. The route to balele is bad and not advicable on a ford as your body may touch the ground as the roads are pathetic for 4 kms. And you wouldnt want to have no help in the middle of dense forest also.

Now regarding places to stay There are couple of hotels and homestays in and around madikere with pricing of Rs1000
Also bear in mind that Irpu falls is in south coorg near kutta which is out of the way and also 60kms from madikere. Head there if you wanna have some fun as its an awesome falls and is also pretty safe to play around.
Just be careful in Abbey falls.
Do visit the monestary too its gr8.
Hope this would help ya
Have a great trip.

manjunath I suggest that you read through the travelogues section coz alternate routes , road conditions and precise distances have already been mentioned.

Read akroy's / nip's / my travelogues and will give you a fair idea of what Coorg has beyond the regular places that you have mentioned.

Hi rjstyles69,akroy , thanks first for ur suggestions.

And yes i have read the travelogues of NIP, akroy & urs for info, which speaks abt a place called Kakkabe. But still i posted here cos i am going there for the 1st time, and didnt knw the best route, i heard that the Hunsur-Piriyapatna-Kushalnagar route was under repair for road-widening back in July-Aug time, bt not sure if its done at this point of time.
So if anyone has been to Coorg via this route recently, plz confirm

Secondly, i am bit confused as to where to halt in Coorg, or rather the best place to halt if i have to cover
Madikeri city,Bhagamandala,Talakaveri,Kushalanagar Monastery,Irupu falls,Abbey Falls without much detour.

This is what i understand after reading all the coorg tour articles in this website.

Route would be from BLR-MYS ROAD-HUNSUR-PIRIYAPATNA-KUSHALNAGAR
visit the monastery, Irupu falls & head to some closeby Homestay or Madikeri town (some hotel in that case) for night halt. Next day visit places within Madikeri town like Raja Seat, Abbey falls. and then head to Talacauvery-Bhagamandala.

Now can someone tell me how far is Talakaveri-Bhagamandala from Madikeri town and from there we plan to visit Harangi Dam b4 heading back to BLR.

Also Bck to blr via Piriyapatna-Hunsur or is the Virajpete route better. If so also let me know the Virajpete route, how the route is ?

Hope to get some help on this.
THanks in advance
Manjunath
Ford Ikon 2007

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjunath_c (Post 605903)
Now can someone tell me how far is Talakaveri-Bhagamandala from Madikeri town and from there we plan to visit Harangi Dam b4 heading back to BLR.

About 50km from Madikeri...read my recent travelogue for directions etc...
Harangi Dam, Nisarghadhama can be done during the return journey to Bangalore via Piriyapatna, Kushalnagar

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjunath_c (Post 605903)
i heard that the Hunsur-Piriyapatna-Kushalnagar route was under repair for road-widening back in July-Aug time, bt not sure if its done at this point of time.
So if anyone has been to Coorg via this route recently, plz confirm

Secondly, i am bit confused as to where to halt in Coorg, or rather the best place to halt if i have to cover
Madikeri city,Bhagamandala,Talakaveri,Kushalanagar Monastery,Irupu falls,Abbey Falls without much detour.

Route would be from BLR-MYS ROAD-HUNSUR-PIRIYAPATNA-KUSHALNAGAR
visit the monastery, Irupu falls & head to some closeby Homestay or Madikeri town (some hotel in that case) for night halt. Next day visit places within Madikeri town like Raja Seat, Abbey falls. and then head to Talacauvery-Bhagamandala.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 605951)
About 50km from Madikeri...read my recent travelogue for directions etc...
Harangi Dam, Nisarghadhama can be done during the return journey to Bangalore via Piriyapatna, Kushalnagar

Abhi

Hi Manjunath, reading the revalogues from Abhi, NIP and Riju would have given you a fair share of knowledge to equip you on your trip, so i am filling in with what i know. I had been on a Coorg trip last month so should be more on hand with the latest updates.

The route which you have decided upon seems fine, but be prepared for quite a few stretches in between where work is going on, and the drive will be agonisingly slow at places. Be prepared to add another extra hour or so to the time you have alloted for travel.

Regarding the halt in Coorg, i guess Madikere would be the better option as Talacauvery as well as Abbey falls are nearby. During my trip, didnt find many hotels as an option to put up, so i guess looking for a home stay would be the best option here. There is a link for the same, which should be on one of the above mentioned travelogues.

As Abhi mentioned, you can visit Nisarghadhama on your return trip from Madikere. Talacauvery is about 35-40 kms from Madikere. While at Madikere, you can visit the Raja's seat, the fort and also the tomb. Abbey falls is just about 8-10 kms or so from Madikere, if i remember right.

The monastery is one lovely place to visit, and i would love to visit it once more, as my visit the last time round was rather hurried.

Not a good idea to do Coorg right now. It has been raining cats for the last two months , you will not be able to enjoy the trip. I have just got back from Madekeri and believe me these guys havent seen the sun for the last 1.5 months. And it certainly feels very irritating to stay indoors all day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjunath_c (Post 605054)
Also i heard there are 2 routes one whcih goes thru' Nagarhole, wich i heard is very beautiful route, how much xtra km is it ? and wt is the time required frm blr-coorg and approx road condition at this point of time

I was in Coorg 2 weeks back. Took the following route as suggested by Abhi in his travelogue: Bangalore – Ramanagaram – Channapatna – Maddur – Mandya – Srirangapatnam - Hunsur – Piriyapatna - Kushalnagar – Suntikoppa – Madikeri.

Roads are good till Kushalnagar (except for a few rough patches). However, Kushalnagar is hell. NO ROADs..! From Kushalnagar to Madikeri the roads are broken & potholed.

I clocked approx. 575 kms (Sarjapur rd - Madikeri - bk). Each way was abt 5hrs.

If you stay in Koramangala / Jayanagar side of town take the Kanakpura rd and get into NICE road. This road joins Mysore road much after the traffic points.

Hope this helps.

I am travelling this weekend to Coorg from Bangalore. Wanted to know couple of things

1) Which route should I take Which is better, Hunsur -> Kushalnagar -> Madikkeri or Hunsur ->Virajpet->Madikkeri

2) How is the road condition.

I have travelled untill Hunsur in APril, this 180km stretch is almost 4 lane (2 lane between sriranga patna to mysore - hunsur road jusr 20km) and excellant in condition.

I have heard roads are good further too. Only bad stretch will be between Kushal Nagar and Madikeri which is around 30km.

Regards,

Ravi.

Road conditions from gonikoppa to mysore is good. Can be done in 1.5hrs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinu2506 (Post 953443)
I am travelling this weekend to Coorg from Bangalore. Wanted to know couple of things

1) Which route should I take Which is better, Hunsur -> Kushalnagar -> Madikkeri or Hunsur ->Virajpet->Madikkeri

Hello Dinu,

I did a Bangalore - Coorg - Club Mahindra trip last weekend. I took the Srirangapatam -> Hunsur -> Kushalnagar -> Madikeri. Road upto Kushalnagar is very good. Last 30 km to Madikeri is not good with lots of bad patches opened up due to rain. Total km one way was 260 which took 5 hrs door to door. The last 30km took an hour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinu2506 (Post 953443)

Any update on the roads. How was your trip as i am too planning to go soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aka_iitd (Post 964517)
Any update on the roads. How was your trip as i am too planning to go soon.

i spend half my time between bang and madikeri.the roads are good upto kushalnagar.the last 30kms after that takes about 45mins-1hr due to the patchy roads and ghats.i have done it in 4hrs in my alto once nonstop with speeds not crossing 100-110. it should take about 5hrs from bangalore.