Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Bhutan : Formalities for Indians

I am planning for an honeymoon in Bhutan. Can someone guide me the best/fast/convenient way to reach Phuntsholing? By Train/Bus to the nearest point and abiout the stay at Phuntoshling. I am planning to fly to Bagdogra.
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
I am planning for an honeymoon in Bhutan. Can someone guide me the best/fast/convenient way to reach Phuntsholing? By Train/Bus to the nearest point and abiout the stay at Phuntoshling. I am planning to fly to Bagdogra.
Hats off
Bhutan King did come to India for his honeymoon and This Hyderabad prince likes to go to Bhutan for his honeymoon.
Old 4th November 2011, 13:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
I recently came back from Bhutan/North Bengal trip.

The most comfortable way to reach Phuntoshling is to hire a cab from Bagdogra. All taxis in North Bengal usually charges Rs 20/km (you pay for to and fro although you travel one way). The route is scenic and you'll enjoy the trip.

You can also avail the Bhutan Coaster bus from Siliguri, that runs non-stop, but the ride should not be comfortable. Please don't take the Indian buses at they stop almost everywhere.

At Phuntoshling, you can hire a cab for your entire Bhutan trip. Taxis at Bhutan are cheaper.

If you are visiting during the rush season, then you need to have a confirmed hotel booking. On off-seasons, this is not mandatory. Having a confirmed hotel booking is not mandatory throughout the year, but they might ask for the document at various checkposts, if you are visiting during the peak season.

We stayed at "Dechen Hill Resort" at Paro @ 3200 / night. It was a good one and they serve good Indian food.

At Phuntoshling, there are several hotels beside/opposite to the Bhutan permit office (big Bharat Petroleum Petrol Pump). The place is the most convenient as you/your family need to visit the Permit office for an instant photograph.

There are several travel agents beside the Jaigoan/Phutsoling border gate (on the jaigaon side). They arrange for taxis and processes your permits. If you are going during the rush season like we did, then this is a good option as you don't need to wait for long hours at the Permit office.
Their rates are way cheaper than that you get at Siliguri/kolkata/internet.
You can directly fly to Paro, but please travel one way by car for the picturesque beauty.

Wish you have a great trip and happy honeymooning!!
Old 4th November 2011, 16:56   #19
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed post. Appreciate it!
Old 4th November 2011, 16:58   #20
BHPian

If we want to fly to paro directly, do we need to take the permit before ? If so, where ?
Old 5th November 2011, 12:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

You just need to carry your proof of Indian citizenship - either your passport or voter id card. Permits will be issued at the airport on arrival.
Old 12th February 2013, 23:24   #22
BHPian

This should help a lot, read the link carefully;
http://www.visitbhutan.com/ind_terms_conditions.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks