Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:17   #301
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

How about Bangalore - Vellore - Polur - Thiruvannamalai ?

Bangalore to Vellore will come around 210 kms and Vellore to Tiruvannamalai via Polur might come to 80 / 90 kms.

Excellent roads all the way. The total distance might come around 300 kms ( which might be 50 to 60 kms more if okay with it ) but time taken will be more or less the same. The toll costs will be more on this route but this route will be fuel efficient and safer too.

You can have this as a return route ( backup option ), in case if your travel time gets delayed and concerned about the desolate section.
Grand Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:47   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Would prefer if you can make it before evening. Its much better that way.

Here the Google route for your reference: Route Link
Oh great, thank you so much ampere, helps a lot. will start early in that case, i just do not want to take chances by being late to get to NH7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes few stretches are desolate in evening. Our travel was after sunset and we were bit concerned since it was our first drive through that route and we were not sure how safe the route was.

One thing in our advantage was that we were a convoy of 2 cars.

My suggestion -
Make an early morning start, which will help you in reaching early.
Try starting back by atleast 04:00 PM, hence you will be able to reach NH 7 before its is too late.
I am thinking of leaving by 5am on Saturday, the temple opens at 5.30am till 12.30pm and reopens at 3.30pm till 9.30pm. I am guessing it may take about 5 hours to get to the temple, so that would be 10am approx, and then say about 30 mins here and there for breakfast etc. Once the visit is done, can leave by 1pm from there and hopefully be back in bangalore by 6-7pm.
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:49   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Bangalore to Vellore will come around 210 kms and Vellore to Tiruvannamalai via Polur might come to 80 / 90 kms.
The shortest distance is ~200 via Chengam. Its about 240 via Harur. Via Vellore it comes to almost 300km, which is about 100km more than the shortest. Hence I did not suggest this option. Its about too much a detour.

Quote:
Compared with the Harur route, it's 60 kms more but excellent NH all the way till Bangalore.
Agreed. But we still do 80-90km of non 4-lane roads. If one goes via Harur, off 240km About 130-140 is 4-lane, which pretty much works out the same.

In the end it anyway depends on, which route one is comfortable in taking.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd July 2015 at 17:17.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:00   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The shortest distance is ~200 via Chengam. Its about 240 via Harur. Via Vellore it comes to almost 300km, which is about 100km more than the shortest. Hence I did not suggest this option. Its about too much a detour.
Compared with the Harur route, it's 60 kms more but excellent NH all the way till Bangalore.
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:26   #305
BHPian

Great suggestions ampere/Grand Drive, I am not worried about being late if the roads are populated, as in I do not want to get into a isolated zone worrying about things with my family, I would not mind taking the Vellore route when coming back home, although that will totally depend on how soon I finish up the temple visit. With kids and elders things can get a bit delayed in general.
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:29   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Great suggestions ampere/Grand Drive, I am not worried about being late if the roads are populated, as in I do not want to get into a isolated zone worrying about things with my family, I would not mind taking the Vellore route when coming back home, although that will totally depend on how soon I finish up the temple visit. With kids and elders things can get a bit delayed in general.
May be if it gets too late, then going via Vellore might be better. Thats because, I think that section of SH/NH is more alive. And also you get more food/break options early on the drive after Vellore.
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:35   #307
BHPian

Quote:
I would not mind taking the Vellore route when coming back
In case, if you are coming back via Vellore, take the Thiruvannamalai - Polur - Vellore ( National Highway) route and not the Thiruvannamalai - Arani - Chetpet - Vellore ( State Highway) route. The SH will take more time and also, the road conditions on the NH will be good compared with the SH.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 23rd July 2015 at 17:43.
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:32   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,
I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Thiruvanamalai this saturday, I had been there ages ago and the route was Bangalore, Krishnagiri, and from a junction there took a left and went into a road that was terrible. It would be great if one who has been there recently could share some info on which is the best route to take please as on today?
Mate I would suggest the following route

Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Morappur, Harur, Theerthamalai, Thanipadi. After reaching Harur, do not ask the locals how to go to T V malai. They will direct you via SH18 that leads to Singarapettai. Ask them how to go to Theerthaamalai.
The roads post Harur till T V Malai (I guess) are average with speeds exceeding 60kmph resulting in a bumpy drive.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 01:08   #309
BHPian

Quote:
In case, if you are coming back via Vellore, take the Thiruvannamalai - Polur - Vellore ( National Highway) route and not the Thiruvannamalai - Arani - Chetpet - Vellore ( State Highway) route. The SH will take more time and also, the road conditions on the NH will be good compared with the SH.
Thanks man, I sure will follow your suggestion, I am more than likely going to take the Vellore route when returning, I am just wondering about a forest midway, Sorakolathur Forest, is it by any chance something that may be closed like Bandipur does in the evening?

Also which might be a better path to take from Vellore to Bangalore?
Old 24th July 2015, 06:45   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man, I sure will follow your suggestion, I am more than likely going to take the Vellore route when returning, I am just wondering about a forest midway, Sorakolathur Forest, is it by any chance something that may be closed like Bandipur does in the evening?

To the best of my knowledge, we do not have forest gates on the Polur-Vellore route as against the Bandipur forest route. You can go any time of the day/night.
Safe Journey.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 08:15   #311
BHPian

Quote:
I am just wondering about a forest midway, Sorakolathur Forest, is it by any chance something that may be closed like Bandipur does in the evening?
There is nothing like that and it's safe and excellent NH234 all the way.

Quote:
Vellore - Ambur - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore.

Have a safe journey.
Old 24th July 2015, 08:20   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your place of stay in Bangalore is close to Old madras Road, then go Via Kolar bypass, Mulbagal by pass, Palamaneer, Chittoor bypass. After taking the chittoor bypass, you will 2 roads branching to your left and right. The left road takes you to Ranipet /Chennai while the right takes you to Katpadi/Vellore.

If your place of stay is close to South Bangalore, then going via Hosur,Krishnagiri,Vaniyambadi and Ambur makes sense.
Old 26th July 2015, 19:59   #313
BHPian

Ampere, Suresh, Grand Drive, highly appreciate your inputs man. So we left home at about 9.30am, Took the Hosur, Krishnagiri, Karimangalam, Morapur, Harur, Thiruvannamalai Route, Until Karimangalam, NH7 was excellent, there was work going on at a patch, however that was not on our side. Karimangalam onwards the road was mostly desolate as mentioned by ampere, and the roads were decent throughout, with some bad patches starting just before Thanipadi. Since we were not in a hurry, it was fine.

Coming back we took the Thiruvannamalai, Polur, Vellore, this route was also decent, but the NH starting from Vellore > Ambur > Krishnagiri > Hosur as mentioned by Grand Drive was indeed excellent. A total of 290 kms from TV Malai to Banagalore ORR, where I stay.

Overall was a good drive, we took our time not exceeding 100 kmph, worked out well.

Thanks Again for the inputs guys. Appreciate it

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2015 at 23:14. Reason: Fixing typo
gearbox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 17:44   #314
BHPian

Can someone tell me how is this route, especially between Tirupattur - Singarapettai - Tiruvannamalai? This is almost 80kms shorter than the polur - pallikonda route.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Kr...7!2d12.2252841
Old 31st July 2015, 21:58   #315
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Can someone tell me how is this route, especially between Tirupattur - Singarapettai - Tiruvannamalai? This is almost 80kms shorter than the polur - pallikonda route.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Kr...7!2d12.2252841
this involves travelling on NH66 ; which is the original problem that brought in alternatives like pallikonda route / karimangalam route. The blue line in your map avoids ony 50% of the "rogue NH66 b/w krishnagiri and tvmalai"
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks