Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 16:08   #46
BHPian

Guys - is it a good time to visit this place now or will it be pouring cats and dogs?

Thanks
Old 26th August 2010, 16:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Guys - is it a good time to visit this place now or will it be pouring cats and dogs?

Thanks
NFS, Tamilnadu and rains dont connect very well. You dont have to bother about rains and just go ahead with your drive. Should not be a problem at all. By the way, I am driving there this weekend as well
Old 26th August 2010, 17:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

Roads conditions from Krishnagiri to Tvmalai are so so. Watch out for potholes and poor road conditions in certain sectors. My friend drove to Pondicherri and beyond last week.

It has been raining heavily in the northern parts of TN.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:36   #49
Team-BHP Support

I drove that way to Pondycherry last weekend. Roads are ok if you have an SUV, if it is a car, you need to take it a little easy.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:40   #50
Team-BHP Support

Also note once you cross Krishnagiri. there are no decent hotels/eat-outs/toilets all the way till Thiruvannamalai.

On the route front, some folks have various combination of SH. One option drive till Bargur on NH46 and turn to Tirupathur.
At Tirupathur take the road to Uthangarai. This way you can cut quite some part of pot-holed roads on NH66.

Last edited by ampere : 26th August 2010 at 21:44.
Old 27th August 2010, 07:14   #51
BHPian

Hello NFS,

I just took the route BLR-Krishnagiri-Kanchipuram and there were no heavy rains over this week but only a mild drizzle to get you a pleasant drive. The roads have to be taken with caution due to the extensive patches. i think 60-80kmph will be an ideal speed you could keep up on these stretches... from krishnagiri all the way to tiruvannamalai.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:03   #52
BHPian

Thanks to all of you. Pls suggest the route I should be taking as i will be driving a swift. Also what would be an approximate time to cover this distance one way?
Old 27th August 2010, 12:04   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
NFS, Tamilnadu and rains dont connect very well. You dont have to bother about rains and just go ahead with your drive. Should not be a problem at all. By the way, I am driving there this weekend as well
Can you let me know the route details pls?
Old 27th August 2010, 12:09   #54
BHPian

Hello NFS2024,

The short route you could take is Blr - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Take a left towards Chennai - After about a km there is a right towards tiruvannamalai and it take will you to Tiruvannamalai. Mostly patched roads so the swift should be steady at 60-80 on those roads. There are sudden ~2ft potholes (just a few) which are hidden beneath the shade of trees so watch out.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Good point on the trees. At places where there is heavy tree coverage on top of the road, watch out!! Constant water falling from the trees damage the road underneath it. Also with the shade, its not so easy to see the potholes.

Bangalore to Tvmalai is 200kms give or take a few kms. As ajmat said, watch out and take it easy. Do plan on driving during the day time.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Hello NFS2024,

The short route you could take is Blr - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Take a left towards Chennai - After about a km there is a right towards tiruvannamalai and it take will you to Tiruvannamalai. Mostly patched roads so the swift should be steady at 60-80 on those roads. There are sudden ~2ft potholes (just a few) which are hidden beneath the shade of trees so watch out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Hello NFS,

I just took the route BLR-Krishnagiri-Kanchipuram and there were no heavy rains over this week but only a mild drizzle to get you a pleasant drive. The roads have to be taken with caution due to the extensive patches. i think 60-80kmph will be an ideal speed you could keep up on these stretches... from krishnagiri all the way to tiruvannamalai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Good point on the trees. At places where there is heavy tree coverage on top of the road, watch out!! Constant water falling from the trees damage the road underneath it. Also with the shade, its not so easy to see the potholes.

Bangalore to Tvmalai is 200kms give or take a few kms. As ajmat said, watch out and take it easy. Do plan on driving during the day time.
Guys - Thanks for all the information and help. Planning to leave early morning and come back by night. Is it like a 4 hr drive one way?
Old 27th August 2010, 14:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Guys - Thanks for all the information and help. Planning to leave early morning and come back by night. Is it like a 4 hr drive one way?
yes. It will take exactly 4 hours. About 200 odd Kms.
Old 27th August 2010, 16:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Alert... Be really careful on these roads. There is a steady constant drizzle and with agricultural fields lining the roads, it gets really slippery. Two days ago on the same road I hit a biker who suddenly cut from left to right. I applied the brake, the brakes locked and the car travelled for more than 30 mts before hitting the bike. So, be careful dont exceed 60 - 80 kmph.

: if i had had a ABS equipped car could i have avoided this accident?
Old 27th August 2010, 23:45   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Alert... Be really careful on these roads. There is a steady constant drizzle and with agricultural fields lining the roads, it gets really slippery. Two days ago on the same road I hit a biker who suddenly cut from left to right. I applied the brake, the brakes locked and the car travelled for more than 30 mts before hitting the bike. So, be careful dont exceed 60 - 80 kmph.

: if i had had a ABS equipped car could i have avoided this accident?
Sorry to hear about this incident, hope nothing untoward happened. Will make sure i drive steadily.
Old 29th August 2010, 21:28   #60
BHPian

lancersfx / csenthil, very good point about the craters masked in the shade of the trees. When I was driving yesterday morning, the sun was shining very bright and i had banged into a couple of deep craters. Two of them were very bad. Luckily the Punto managed to hold ok and went through.

But today on the way back, my front tire got punctured and luckily it is right in front of a puncture shop and so managed to patch the tire and replace the same again. There was a crack on the side wall and there was no nails. I am sure it is caused by the craters on the road. The pathetic part is that there is some section of the road which are better and we tend to drive at about 60 and the deep crater strikes from nowhere. Hence cant really help leaving the vehicle into craters. I got to go and change my tyre now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks