Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 00:12   #16
BHPian

Hi,
Here's one input you might want to consider, I did a drive to Pondicherry and back to Bangalore over the last weekend.
This was the second time I drove to Pondicherry, the first time via the Tiruvannamalai road, not so good I'd say, daytime drive is alright, night driving may prove difficult, no divider from Krishnagiri to Pondicherry and road not too well maintained at times.
With the experiences of the last time, this time I decided to take the GQ road, to and fro, though the distance increases by about 100km, if you do not mind the extra distance, this road is worth considering. There are three sections, the road till Kanchipuram is an extension of the Hosur-Krishnagiri road, a bliss I'd say, then there is a stretch about 70km which is at par to the other road via Tiruvannamalai and then again Chengalpettu-Mammalapuram-Pondicherry is very good even though there's no road divider in the last section.
I was initially apprehensive of night driving with blinding lights from other vehicles and so on, but to my surprise, the return journey proved to be very pleasant, the GQ road is marked very well with illuminators, I as well would say it was more enjoyable driving at night. The trip took me 9.5/10 hours, covering 440km, one way with occasional stops.
So, you might want to take the Tiruvannamalai road while going, cover all the places you want to visit and come back via the GQ road, enjoy both the roads.
Stay in Pondicherry: You might give Duma's Guest House a try if you want, 5 two bedroom apartments next to the main Beach Road, a posh locality in Pondicherry. Reasonably maintained, Rs. 1500 per night and a very helpful gentleman owner Mr. Bala (http://realcomposer.fabx.org/Pondich...House_eng.htm), needs booking. I stayed there both trips, one double bedroom, a single bedroom, both air-conditioned, a hall for extra beds if need be, no food provided, but good restaurants very near.
Have a nice trip.
Regards.
Old 15th November 2007, 09:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevng View Post
Hey thalavoy, could you give some more details on the route between tirupatur to singarapettai, there are so many arterial routes. Any specific route that you can remember or just ask and drive? The one problem with ask and drive is that it will eat away time.

Thanks,
Rajeev
Good thing you asked If you go from Bangalore, take the left at Krishnagiri to go towards Chennai. After about 20 kms, you see a right to go to Bargur. Once you cross the Bargur (bus stand), take the right fork of the Y towards Tirupattur. Before you reach Tirupattur, there is a flyover/bridge. Getting down the flyover, there is a right turn that goes to Dharmapuri. Ignore this. There is another right turn (acuter one) that is marked Salem road. Take this. After a couple or may be more kms, there is the road to Singarapettai. Take this road all the way to Singarapettai. There are no other deviations any where else.
Anyways, I did see the road repair works between Singarapettai - Chengam, which kind of indicates that the road (worse part) between Singarapettai - Uthangarai - K'giri should also be under repair.
The detour will increase about 15 kms, thats all.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:27   #18
BHPian

@Thalavoy: Thanks for the detailed info. What about decent hotels on this stretch? Since we are traveling with families, clean hotels with restrooms becomes a critical requirement.
Old 15th November 2007, 17:07   #19
BHPian

Prashanth - very hard to get hotels on that stretch..
We carried snacks and coffee in a flask..

Restrooms - you may try the occasional Petrol bunk that comes up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
@Thalavoy: Thanks for the detailed info. What about decent hotels on this stretch? Since we are traveling with families, clean hotels with restrooms becomes a critical requirement.
Old 16th November 2007, 11:42   #20
BHPian

Agree with @mogambo. The last known decent area would be Hotel Tamilnadu in K'giri, before Bargur turn. After that, TVMalai is your best bet. In the other route, Kgiri - Mathur - Uthangarai, there are some decent petrol bunks (Reliance, Indian Oil) where there are okay rest rooms.
Old 20th November 2007, 12:48   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. Also, we plan to fill up in TN since petrol is cheaper there. Any inputs on reliable bunks on the route?
Old 20th November 2007, 14:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Also, we plan to fill up in TN since petrol is cheaper there. Any inputs on reliable bunks on the route?

There was a note on an IOC bunk just after the railway line crossing @ Thiruvannamalai. Apparently this place has decent quality fuel.
I had a full tank @ B'lore so did not use it.
Old 20th November 2007, 18:05   #23
BHPian

That IOC bunk will be in the route to Gingee (a rock fort - good climb/exercise), not to Tirukoyilur. Well, if you dont mind a slight detour for the bunk, you can
Old 20th November 2007, 18:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you chaps should read this (Travelogue : Destination anywhere along the East Coast !!) .

Search around the travelogue section coz there are a few travelogues with places to stop over for food,routes and the distance.
Old 21st November 2007, 15:45   #25

Guys,

I just did the Blore Chennai trip last week. The road was a dream.Makes me wonder how much time/km does the Blore Pondi journey take via Chennai? My belief is that the ECR road in Chennai is equally good.

Kibi
Old 21st November 2007, 16:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibi View Post
Guys,

I just did the Blore Chennai trip last week. The road was a dream.Makes me wonder how much time/km does the Blore Pondi journey take via Chennai? My belief is that the ECR road in Chennai is equally good.

Kibi
via ECR it takes 2-3 hours depending upon traffic out of Chennai...Why will you do Pondi from Blr via Chennai?
Even better route is Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu - Mahabalipuram - Pondi

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 21st November 2007 at 16:41.
Old 22nd November 2007, 13:11   #27
BHPian

All,
Thanks for the inputs - we have to go to Tirkkoyilur. Does the Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu - Mahabalipuram - Pondi route go through this place?
Old 18th December 2007, 10:50   #28
BHPian

Any updates on the Krishnagiri - Thiruvannamalai road condition?
Old 18th December 2007, 13:22   #29
BHPian

"Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu - Mahabalipuram - Pondi" route does not go through Thirukkoyilur

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks