Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 20:52   #1
BHPian

Suggestions for a week long holiday?

hi,
im planning a 5-7 days annual vacation during last week of december.
this year we plan to be in the country only.my wife and myself. however this time, my wife is pregnent with 22 weeks.so obviuosly heavy travelling not advised. after lot of searching, we have zeroed in a few places
1. devbagh beach ( JLR) karwar and a few days at goa
2. fly to kashmir and roam around.
3.fly to northeast like arunachal pradesh or shillong.
4.fly to some other location.
we prefer quiet surroundings,weather must be ideal (chilled also ok).hotel must be excellent and we are veggies.money is not a issue.
can you guys pls help us?
thanks in advance.
Old 14th November 2007, 21:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Nut, can you give me an idea of what do you mean by "money is not an issue?'

India is a stange and eclectic holiday destination. It is poosible to stay in little huts on mountains for 500 rupees a night and it is possible to stay in some of the most beautiful hotels in the world (in India) for 17000-35000 rupees a night.

Is your preference a warm sunny climate (beaches, deserts etc) or a cool mountain area?
I see an indication for cool weather, BUT you mention beaches and humidity.
Pregant women emanate more body heat than usual and a warm humid beach may turn out to be hell for her.

Please give me an indication of max budgets. I believe that since she is pregnant, trekking and exploring of surrounding areas will be less and a quiet enjoyment of the hotel/resort and its surroundings will be more in order.

As far as your opitons

1. Goa is running at peak season time right now. Hotel prices are high and standard like Captain Lobos and Villa Goesa are booked till 2008. Standard run-of-the-mill Taj Holiday village type hotels may have rooms at about 7000-10000 a night.

There are many smaller hotels around the goan coastline.

2) I ahve been to kashmir about 12 times. Recent political strife has left the tourism industry fairly crippled. Go to Kashmir and roam around is not much of an agenda. You could obviously do the Srinagar houseboat thing and travel to Pahelgam and/or Gulmarg and even visit the elusive sonmarg and yusmarg. You could rent a jeep and travel upto Panjgam near the paki border. But I'm not sure if these adventures are fit for a mother to be.

3) I have never been to the Northeast but I head Shillong is beautiful. There are some excellent resorts in Uttaranchal and HP too.
You can read my thread in the team BHP meet section called "The Highest Team-BHP meet" (use the search function) or you can PM tsk, Khaadu and Gurkha (Gurkha is not here often though)

4. As i meantioned in my thread, offhand I can suggest atleast 5 very romantic and beautiful destinations. Please tell me your preference and approx budget.

I hope I was able to help you. After all I am the self-proclaimed travel-king of this forum
Old 14th November 2007, 21:32   #3
BHPian

Just a suggestion, May not be appropiate for everybody but still:

If your wife has a motion sickness problem, Avoid going to high altitudes(Himalayan ranges). Morning sickness MAY increase with altitude and she may not like travelling around mountains( round & round).

A good place which I can suggest is Panchmari in MP. Nice place in satpura mountain ranges, not very high on altitudes and very green, clean and peaceful area.

one link I could find out
MP Panchmari

Last edited by greatDrive : 14th November 2007 at 21:45. Reason: Updating with link
Old 14th November 2007, 21:48   #4
BHPian

nutmello, you should be thankful that you are posting this in a nice forum otherwise if you say openly 'money is not an issue', I'm sure by this time you would have received 1000 calls from travel agents..I cant think of a more scenic place other than the NE past our country..My personal choice..option 3
Old 15th November 2007, 12:43   #5
BHPian

hi all
thanks SAM,koolaruny,greatdrive for your suggestions.
im really very excited at the response you guys have given. i have been a great fan of sam for having litreally following his wrtiteups.
1. money no issue: i mean budget is flexible, that is any star will do, economy hut to five star.
2. since it is our only break in a year ( we both own,manage and run large industires) we prefer some clean calm location. i have many unfinished books to be read.
3. dear sam, as you have mentioned, please suggest some place that suits us.
the idea is to live atleast a few days away from daily grind.
thanks asian in advance.
Old 15th November 2007, 16:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

1. Fly to New Delhi
2. Catch next flight to Shimla
3. Catch luxury taxi to wildflower : Oberoi Hotels & Resorts:Wildflower Hall: Welcome
Its a 5 star from Oberoi group, and set in peace and calm.
A deluxe suit costs 29,000 a night, and a room costs 18,000

I know many people will jump saying shimla is overcrowded, but this resort is definitely not overcrowded, and just 2 hours away lie the apple orchards of Thanedar.
Old 15th November 2007, 18:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
hi all
2. since it is our only break in a year ( we both own,manage and run large industires) we prefer some clean calm location. i have many unfinished books to be read.
3. dear sam, as you have mentioned, please suggest some place that suits us.
the idea is to live atleast a few days away from daily grind.
thanks asian in advance.
Goa is a great place. I was at Taj Holiday Village a week back and while you are inside the resort it is calm. Taj Exotica (and south Goa in general) is bit less crowded. Weather is fantastic in Goa now and getting better. If you don't mind splurging a bit, get yourself a sea facing villa in Taj and you are all set.

I would not recommend Devbagh because you guys are expecting and it is isolated (or so it feels).
Old 13th December 2007, 19:07   #8
BHPian

I would suggest JRL Devbagh. It's peaceful, secluded, and with all amenities. You can just sit at the beach, behind your cottage, and spend as much time as you want looking at the waves, wind in your hair ...

Regards
Rex

[quote=nutmello;626696]hi,
im planning a 5-7 days annual vacation during last week of december.
this year we plan to be in the country only.my wife and myself. however this time, my wife is pregnent with 22 weeks.so obviuosly heavy travelling not advised. after lot of searching, we have zeroed in a few places
1. devbagh beach ( JLR) karwar and a few days at goa
quote]
Old 13th December 2007, 20:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ooty & Kodai are pretty nice places to visit & very close by too. If not Pondicherry is a great place too, there are lovely restaurants serving all kinds of food, beautifully located hotels with beaches & total privacy. If i was you, i would take that since goa is full & crowded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks