Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2007, 16:08   #1
BHPian

Blr-s'belagola-belur/halebid-coorg

Hi guys,
Am planning to drive down to Bangalore in Jan and from there go on to Mangalore.
Grateful if you could advise whether it is possible to leave Blr in the morning and reach Coorg in the evening after visiting Shravanbelagola, Belur and Halebid. Will stay in Coorg for a couple of nights and then proceed to Mangalore. All inputs re homestay in Coorg welcome - preferably around 1000/- per couple per night.
Also please advice on the road conditions.

Thanks

Deepak
Old 20th November 2007, 16:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

It is possible but it will be a real long day...
I would suggest you to stay back in hassan that day and drive to coorg the next day...in that case you can enjoy the Sravanabelagola climb peacefully without hurry !!

Abhi
Old 20th November 2007, 16:23   #3
BHPian

Abhi... thanks. Shall do that. Any suggestions for a decent place to stay in Hassan?
Old 20th November 2007, 16:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

As Abhi said, the Shravanabelagola climb is quite a steep one, better to stay at Hassan, either Hotel Southern Star or Sri Krishna, both inside town, as you enter it from Channarayapatna. Plus, you must keep in mind that both Belur and Halebid are further from Hassan, plus they are also at different places.

No idea how you plan to go from Hassan to Mysore/Periyapatna, but let me caution that if you take the Channarayaptna-Mysore route the roads after K R Pet are a small disaster currently. So I guess the better thing would be to go directly from Hassan to Periyapatna en route Madikeri.
Old 20th November 2007, 16:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Magiceye you love to drive isnt it but my friend lately the road conditions is worrying!

Bangalore to Belur is good for now, will be possible to do it in less then 4 hours if you start early in the morning, i think Belur is about 40kms from hassan and from belur to halebid about 17+ kms. so as Abhi and kumar has suggested it makes sense to stay in Hassan for the day.

And about driving to Mangalore would be a challenge, road from Madikeri to Mangalore is in miserable state and by jan if the govt deosnt fix it. it will be as good as shiradi or worse!
Old 20th November 2007, 16:56   #6
BHPian

@hvkumar.... thank you so much for your suggestion. Shall do needul.

@lohitrao... yes I do love to drive but the road conditions are theowing challenges every day! Hope the road is fixed by Jan! Thank you so much for your input.

Deepak
Old 20th November 2007, 17:15   #7
BHPian

Places to stay in Hassan listed in earlier discussions:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ay-hassan.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...conquered.html

Hotel SriKrishna (veg)
Hotel Southern Star, opposite Sri Krishna (multi-cuisine)
HOTEL HASSAN ASHOK (* hotel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Abhi... thanks. Shall do that. Any suggestions for a decent place to stay in Hassan?
Old 20th November 2007, 17:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

You can add "Gurudev" also to the list, this is the first Hotel you come across...
Old 20th November 2007, 19:31   #9
BHPian

@Mogambo.. thank you so much for the info.

@lohitrao.. 'gurudev' added! thank you.

just another query... would bookings be necessary at any of these hotels or should i be able to get a room at any one of these?
Old 20th November 2007, 20:52   #10
BHPian

If you are by yourself you should be able to adjust in any place available, so probably no need of booking. If you are a group or with family, more peace of mind in booking before you go. Many of htese places probably don't charge you for booking so why not do it anyways?
Old 21st November 2007, 15:37   #11
BHPian

Booking is advisable for any reason, although it is HIGHLY unlikely that all hotels in Hassan would be running full.

By the way, there are at least 4 hotels offering good accommodation, so no worries even if you fail to book in advance.

Most Viewed