Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:30   #16
BHPian

A different route...

Thanks kumar.
Spoke to my friend who did the bike trip with me. He suggested Bangalore - Dindigul - Theni - Mundakkayam - Changanassery - Haripad ( my place).
Is that possible in 12 hrs. Its' almost 50 kms more than the Bangalore - Mettur - Coimbatore - Palakkad route.. but does that save time.
The last time we were struggling with oncoming traffic after Thrissur. Also the first one is not all that dry.. esp after Dindigul..
Anyone did that earlier
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby.sam View Post
Spoke to my friend who did the bike trip with me. He suggested Bangalore - Dindigul - Theni - Mundakkayam
I plan to do this route during the Xmas period. Any ideas on how this road is, and also the approximate distance? Would be my first time via this stretch.
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:00   #18
BHPian

The more road you can cover in Tamilnadu, it would be better. Because, I always found TN far ahead of other southern states in providing better road infrastructure and in keeping their roads decent.

And, 50 kms is nothing much if you get good roads to drive. Though I've not driven myself on this route, I've heard it's a great route to drive.

Regards
Rex
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks kumar.
Spoke to my friend who did the bike trip with me. He suggested Bangalore - Dindigul - Theni - Mundakkayam - Changanassery - Haripad ( my place).
Is that possible in 12 hrs. Its' almost 50 kms more than the Bangalore - Mettur - Coimbatore - Palakkad route.. but does that save time.
The last time we were struggling with oncoming traffic after Thrissur. Also the first one is not all that dry.. esp after Dindigul..
Anyone did that earlier
Lovely route, no problems on the TN side (except for the NH7 bad sections discussed by all), not heard of any road condition problems between Kumili and Changanaserry (and normally in Dec-Jan, these roads are good). Maybe one of our Kottayam friends could shed some light on the current road conditions.

12 hours is difficult beacuse you get slowed down by the ghat sections in Kambam-Kumili-Peeremenade-Mundakayam section. Plus, from MUndakayam, roads are narrower, curvy and higher population around. Let me check up my log books and revert later tonight on the distance info.

The NH7/NH47 route via Coimbatore is very quick, especially now that the roads are repaired. But I like your route plan for the scenic landscapes, opportnities to drop in and see Thekkady (Periyar WLS).

Changanasery-Haripad is also easy since you can take the Mankombu-Alapuzha road to link up to NH47 from the MC Road.
Old 23rd November 2007, 16:17   #20

Thanks aby.sam hvkumar.
I am the person who went with aby from Bangalore to Aleppy in bike. I checked with a friend who took the Bangalore - Aleppy route via Kumali, lasy week. In his opinion, roads are in a much better condition and traffic is also less compared to NH 47.
Night driving is a bit risky after Kumali, since the entire stretch is through Highrange area.
Changanacherry - Aleppy road is also in a better condition.
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:41   #21
BHPian

Keeping options open

Looking at a few more options..
How about Bangalore Gundlupet-Nilambur-Malappuram-Tirur-Ponnani-Chavakkad-Ernakulam..
Any idea about the condition of NH17. Heard it was pretty bad till 2 months back.
Old 23rd November 2007, 18:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

>Changanacherry - Aleppy road is also in a better condition

This road is 99% in good condition right now.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 34199 kms, 13.96 kpl, 46km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 2320 kms, 13.57 kpl, 41km/day)
Old 23rd November 2007, 23:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharish View Post
Thanks aby.sam hvkumar.
I am the person who went with aby from Bangalore to Aleppy in bike. I checked with a friend who took the Bangalore - Aleppy route via Kumali, lasy week. In his opinion, roads are in a much better condition and traffic is also less compared to NH 47.
Night driving is a bit risky after Kumali, since the entire stretch is through Highrange area.
Changanacherry - Aleppy road is also in a better condition.
Lovely driving through the night - I did it in my bike solo in 1987 - crossing from Kumili to Trivandrum via Mundakayam and Changanaserry. But the stray dogs chased me at every small town I passed through!!! But as far as I know, there is no wildlife on this road. If you want a little more excitement, turn off at vandiperiyar to Kattapana and get down through the Idukki Dam at Nadugani, Pienavu and Moolamattam.
Old 25th November 2007, 12:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Lovely driving through the night - I did it in my bike solo in 1987 - crossing from Kumili to Trivandrum via Mundakayam and Changanaserry. But the stray dogs chased me at every small town I passed through!!! But as far as I know, there is no wildlife on this road. If you want a little more excitement, turn off at vandiperiyar to Kattapana and get down through the Idukki Dam at Nadugani, Pienavu and Moolamattam.
I was not refering to wild animals. There is a chance that the weather may become fogy after sunset, especially at December, January months. Alternate route suggested is really scenic, any idea about the road conditions. I am also planning for a trip from Bangalore to Changanacherry, by December end.
Old 25th November 2007, 19:52   #25
BHPian

Just another info, I got from my brother at Malappuram.. Gudalur-Nilambur road is in good condition now..
Old 25th November 2007, 20:01   #26
BHPian

Folks!!! any idea about NH 209 (Bangalore - Gundlupet)..
Old 27th November 2007, 10:13   #27
BHPian

That's good news. So, I assume the Nadugani ghat section is repaired now.
Old 27th November 2007, 10:15   #28
BHPian

Bangalore-Gudlepet is in fairly good condition and many stretches are excellent. This is as per my trip in first half of October/07.

Regards
Rex
Old 28th November 2007, 11:59   #29
BHPian

Hi, try the website MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! and click on directions. It will give good estimate of distance and route between tow places (and very bad estimate of journey time). Still, I feel, the directions provided are very good.
Old 28th November 2007, 19:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks!!! any idea about NH 209 (Bangalore - Gundlupet)..
If you want to do Bangalore - Gundlupet, it is better to take SH61 to Mysore and then NH212 to Gundlupet. Roads are good throughout...

Mysore - Gundlupet stretch, be careful with sudden speed breakers (made by the villagers), there is 2 in that 60km stretch. Otherwise nice scenic drive.

Abhi

Most Viewed