Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 16:59   #61
BHPian

I just called up Hotel Peevees Nilambur Manor (04931-221982) and checked.
They confirmed that Gudalur - Nilambur Route was closed until about 2 weeks back and now it is open and traffic is flowing smoothly.

Phew !!! I breathe again
If anyone else has further confirmations, kindly post the same..
Old 19th December 2007, 17:22   #62
BHPian

I've prepared a sort of itenerary for myself.
BLR-MYS-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-TCR

Its in the form of a MS Powerpoint presentation.
Have uploaded it at the two places below:
BLR-TCR-Route.zip on Bobshare
BLR-TCR-Route.zip on FileFactory

Feel free to use it and post feedback on any inaccuracies.

The planner was prepared as guidelines for myself using dollops of input from Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! and www.team-bhp.com/forum in equal proportion Having never gone on this route before, I can't vouch for perfect accuracy of directions..

I will be using it myself for the first time this weekend. Any inaccuracies I find, I shall rectify and update.

Hoping it might be useful to some other poor souls like me as well..

Thanks
Old 19th December 2007, 17:24   #63
BHPian

Sorry - corrected links....

FileFactory.com - free file hosting
Old 20th December 2007, 11:51   #64
BHPian

I called up 3 places including Hotel Peevees. KSRTC Nilambur ATO said that state buses are plying and roads are good. KTDC Calicut had no information.
My colleague from Nilambur too confirmed that there is no problem in travelling that route. We might have to fight some rhinos if we are travel at night. (No travel at night suggests my Nilambur friend). Heavy vehicles are not allowed in that route (probably KSRTC buses got an excuse).

Last edited by aby.sam : 20th December 2007 at 12:05.
Old 20th December 2007, 14:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
I've prepared a sort of itenerary for myself.
BLR-MYS-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-TCR
Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Trichur is a bad choice. PMNA - Pattambi is okay, the road is good but twisty and can get crowded.

Pattambi - Trichur is a really bad route via Kunnamkulam. Crowded, bad in many sections etc.

I would suggest PMNA-Shoranur-Trichur which is much better. Shoranur to Trichur is a terrific state highway thanks to the previous government, and PMNA-Shoranur is as good as PMNA - Pattambi.
Old 20th December 2007, 15:21   #66
BHPian

Final confirmation required for BLR-Dharmapuri-Mettur-Bhavani-Coimbatore-Palakkad-TCR-EKM route.

Please advice on the current conditions of the road. Hope the rains in the last week have not affected the roads in TN too much. Leaving tomorrow afternoon.
Also, quite worried abt PKD-TCR route. Can anyone confirm the conditions on this route please

Cheers
Sanju
Old 20th December 2007, 15:39   #67
BHPian

How about skipping Thrissur and going straight to Chavakkad from PMNA? Can someone post the detailed route to touch NH 17.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:08   #68
BHPian

Did BLR-TCR today via Nilambur - my update

Folks - I did the BLR TCR via Nilambur route this morning.
Detailed update below. Earlier, I'd uploaded a MS PowerPoint itenerary made from research done on Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! - the accuracy of distances I got from wikimapia was nothing short of AMAZING - to the decimal point.
Anyways, here are the highlights for those interested.

20th December 2007 (Friday):
3.30pm - Departed Indiranagar, Bangalore
4:30pm - Reached Mysore Road just after Kengeri Lake, going via Silk Board, ORR, Kanakapura Rd, NICE Rd
6:30pm - Mysore, ORR near Infosys.

Stayed overnight at Mysore
21st December 2007 (Saturday):
5:30am: Started at Somasundaram Circle (near Mysore Zoo, Race Course) towards Nanjangud
6:15am: Nanjangud
7:00am: Gundlupet (58km)
7:30am: Bandipur
9:00am: Gudalur (after breakfast at a place just after the forest) - roads are horrible. They are being widened. Around 20-30km, it takes over 1 hr.
However, once you reach the Kerala border on the way to Nilambur the entire road becomes buttery smooth. The glide down towards Nilambur town is FANTASTIC.
10:00am: Nilambur (150km)
After this drove to TCR via Wandoor - Pandikkad - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam
The roads are allright - occasionally quite rough although tarred. With 32psi in my tyres and 4 passengers, 1 kid and lot of luggage, I could feel some of the roughness - but it was still good.
The Getz Prime handled the curves and the rough roads amazingly well.
Driving is interesting and quite a bit of a challenge with the auto's and buses. One has to be very careful around the towns but otherwise, its fairly ok - only thing is it is 2-laned all the way.
From Mysore to Perinthalmanna is fairly straight all the way - at Perinthalmanna one has to take a right to Pattambi 1.5km after the main junction in town.
11:45am: Mele Pattambi. 6 hours of drive from Mysore including around 45min of breaks. Spent time here with relatives and then headed for TCR at 12pm.
1:00pm: Reached TCR via Kunnamkulam route. Driving around the Yamadooth bus drivers on Guruvayoor Road is quite an ordeal - Yamaraj has his agents on Earth in the form of these guys to ensure regular supply of folks to his abode :( But managed somehow - Shoranur Road from Pattambi to TCR is preferable but today a railway crossing was closed due to repairs requiring major diversion. Hence chose Kunnamkulam route - both are 45km from Pattambi.

Totally did 250km - driving time: 6 hours.
Overall - very exciting since it is my first real long drive outside Karnataka. Getz Prime rocks. The car was spacious enough for loads of luggage, four adults + one child. Also, driving it was sheer pleasure. The handling was perfect. Couldn't ask for better.
Was very tempted to stop outside the Hyundai showroom at Punkunnam (outside Trichur), shake hands with them and thank them for such a fantastic car. But i didn't of course

Best of luck to all, safe and happy driving and wish you all a Happy New Year.

Ravi
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:01   #69
BHPian

NH 7- Mettur - NH47

My update on the regular route to kerala.

ie. BLR-Dharmapuri-Mettur-Bhavani-CBR-Plkd

Baaaaadddddddddd roads.. :(
Most of the places big deep potholes. Road widening happening most of the places.
Overall it was a horrible drive after sunset. Took 1 hr more than expected.

I guess I'll take the Nilambur route while returning.
Old 23rd December 2007, 14:27   #70
BHPian

@Steeroid. You are perfectly right.

I did TCR-Pattambi-TCR today. GREAT Road - no questions about that. Less Yamadoot (bus drivers) + great road as compared to Kunnamkulam route.
Yesterday the Wadakancheri railway crossing gate was closed for most of the day hence had to to choose Kunnamkulam route..

Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Trichur is a bad choice. PMNA - Pattambi is okay, the road is good but twisty and can get crowded.

Pattambi - Trichur is a really bad route via Kunnamkulam. Crowded, bad in many sections etc.

I would suggest PMNA-Shoranur-Trichur which is much better. Shoranur to Trichur is a terrific state highway thanks to the previous government, and PMNA-Shoranur is as good as PMNA - Pattambi.
Old 23rd December 2007, 15:01   #71
BHPian

Boss - this is totally unexpected... Bad roads ALL the way?
Or in spots..

Also this is the bypass route, isn't it?
What about the proper - NH47 route via Salem?
I was planning to return via that route on Jan 2nd - can anyone give a recent update please???????

Thanks

Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post

Most of the places big deep potholes. Road widening happening most of the places.
Overall it was a horrible drive after sunset. Took 1 hr more than expected.

I guess I'll take the Nilambur route while returning.
Old 26th December 2007, 13:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post

Overall it was a horrible drive after sunset.
Tachobells....you are spot on!!! I went on 21st on the same route. Really bad roads from Krishnagiri till Thoppur Ghat (where the four lane begins again). Got stuck in a traffic jam for an hour as a 18 wheeler broke down in the middle of the road. No room to manouvre. Four laning happening till Thoppur Ghat. After that the road seemed to fine all the way till EKM barring a few bad patches between Bhavani and Coimbatore.

Came back to Bangalore by train. Will get my car in Feb but surely wont come back through the same route unless situation changes by then.

Cheers
Sanju
Old 26th December 2007, 17:46   #73
BHPian

Bangalore - Krishnagiri is as good as it was.
From there, erally bad patches start.

After you reach Thoppur Ghat, road becomes better. It's 2 lane all the way but there are some nice stretches (beware of unexpected potholes on seemingly good roads though).. The advantage is that traffic is sparse on the Mettur route.

On the other hand, there are some good roads near Salem (the fourlaning near Salem is finally done!)

Not sure of Salem - Coimbatore route since I didn't take that route. However, Salem-Karur-Dindigul is much better when compared to Salem-Dharmapuri road. Dindigul-Madurai is a nightmare.
Old 1st January 2008, 12:26   #74
BHPian

Folks!!!
I took the same route as @mogambo, the roads are v good except for the stretch between Gundlupet and Gudalur. This 20-30 km was really bad with some huge potholes.. But roads after that was a real nice experience esp the Nadugani Nilambur stretch. One bad decision of taking NH17 from Perinthalmanna, kept me waiting in hell like traffic for 3 hrs from Edapally railway cross to Aroor byepass jn(3 hrs drive for 17 kms).
Old 1st January 2008, 14:14   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
Boss - this is totally unexpected... Bad roads ALL the way?
Or in spots
Go via Calicut, Wyanad, Mysore. Except for the Kerala Border to Gundlepet stage, the rest of the road is fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks